Rick Pitino discusses UK during Hall of Fame speech

(via cn2)

“It was different than anything I ever experienced in my lifetime,” Pitino, a Manhattan guy, said of his first trip to Lexington, Ky. “But it was a wonderful experience. It was eight years of Camelot.”

Article written by Drew Franklin

29 Comments for Rick Pitino discusses UK during Hall of Fame speech

1. tdogg40330
    6:26 pm September 9, 2013 Permalink

All these years later and he still admits it, that’s saying a lot comin from Pitino

2. nato45
    6:34 pm September 9, 2013 Permalink

And it was an unbelievable time in Kentucky Basketball. Congrats to Rick.

3. Michael F. Jox
    6:34 pm September 9, 2013 Permalink

Say what you will, but I still appreciate and like Rick Pitino. I don’t care who he screws or what team he coaches, the man did one hell of a job while at UK. I don’t ask for more.

4. John
    6:37 pm September 9, 2013 Permalink

Kentucky must have touched him deeply. For Pitino to take a couple of minutes with Kentucky, that’s eight times longer than he took with Sypher.

5. DownCline
    6:40 pm September 9, 2013 Permalink

I have never faulted Rick for leaving for the Celtics, but man, if he had stayed…

But I do fault him for going to UL, so suck it.

6. theSkinny81
    6:52 pm September 9, 2013 Permalink

7. klassact32
    7:19 pm September 9, 2013 Permalink

he is still an ass and you all are buying his bullshit

8. EK
    7:31 pm September 9, 2013 Permalink

From Camelot to the projects…… Mr. 15 Seconds can go fu-k himself!! GO CATS!!

9. rainman
    7:32 pm September 9, 2013 Permalink

Was a jerk,
    Is a jerk,
    Will always be a jerk!

Now he’s just a JERK TARDINAL!

LOSERVILLE SUKS!!

10. rainman
    7:33 pm September 9, 2013 Permalink

OH! Did I mention he is also a LIAR?

JERK!

11. t
    7:41 pm September 9, 2013 Permalink

Rick, your wife, woof!

12. Letsroll
    8:03 pm September 9, 2013 Permalink

He was a great hire by C.M. so is Cal lets hope the same for Stoops the bear has risen again in lex.

13. Bluegoose41
    8:06 pm September 9, 2013 Permalink

Congrats Coach Pitino. I agree with you Michael, I will never forget and will always appreciate what he did at UK. There are lots of UK fans that were either not born or two young to remember how bad it was in 1989. Pitino created a buzz around here and was so much fun to watch. Pitinos Bombinos, the run in 92, the final four in 93 (should have won it) and one of the best teams ever in 1996.

So again, thank you Coach P and congrats on the Hall of Fame.

And if somone tells me I am not a true KY fan for appreciating what he did here, you can kiss my……………….

14. Jimbob Bautista
    8:27 pm September 9, 2013 Permalink

I was in college at UK during the early Pitino era, and it was magical, and I loved every second of his tenure. I’m a diehard UK fan, and a lifelong UofL hater, but I can’t help but cheer for him (character issues aside). I have nothing but respect for what he did for UK. Congrats Rick.

15. Patches
    8:38 pm September 9, 2013 Permalink

I remember what RP did to bring us back, but also the yearly “will he leave or will he stay” panic. End of the day, it was always about RP, not UK. Cal has done more for the university and charities in 4 years than RP has done in his career – and without messing a booth at Porcini’s. Piss off, Pitino.

16. Mike Anderson
    8:38 pm September 9, 2013 Permalink

He brought Kentucky back from the dead in 1989, and he did it with a style that we hadn’t seen in many years. Just like he said in his speech if it wasn’t for the players he coached while at UK he wouldn’t be making an induction speech into the Basketball Hall Of Fame. So congrats to a great coach he was as special to our program as our program was to him.

17. Yawn
    8:49 pm September 9, 2013 Permalink

I’m with rainman. He’s a jerk!!!

18. KB
    8:59 pm September 9, 2013 Permalink

Thanks for the memories,Coach.

19. rixter
    9:05 pm September 9, 2013 Permalink

T, I love the Home Alone reference!….. and so true

20. Steve Atwell
    9:11 pm September 9, 2013 Permalink

For him to be lured away from a successful stint coaching his favorite team speaks volumes of the KY effect and C.M.Newton. He was the best man for the job at the time, and one can only speculate as to how long anyone else would have taken to get UK back to prominence. After what he was saying in the spring, I was pleasantly surprised to hear what he had to say about his time at UK in such a public forum. I can only imagine what the Card Nation is saying about it. As Rick can’t ignore the impact his time at UK had on his career, BBN can’t ignore his impact while in Lexington.

21. Spencercatfan
    9:23 pm September 9, 2013 Permalink

Can’t we quit with all the hate for long enough to appreciate what the man has accomplished and what he did for our program! I am a huge UK fan and definetly don’t root for UL but we need to step back and appreciate Pitino as a coach and take who he coaches for out of the equation. He brought our program back to where it belonged and we all enjoyed those days. You can’t blame a person for leaving and doing what he felt was in his best interest at the time. Have we not all made choices that we look back on and wonder why we did it? Lets be classy and congratulate him like he deserves! Congratulations Pitino! You deserve the recognition!

22. Kevin C
    10:09 pm September 9, 2013 Permalink

“It was different than anything I ever experienced in my lifetime,” Pitino, a Manhattan guy, said of his first quickie with a bottle-blonde in a pub. “But it was a wonderful experience. It was only 15 seconds but I came alot”

23. Tolly Ho Fan!
    11:56 pm September 9, 2013 Permalink

YES! We should congratulate Coach Rick Pitino for his Hall of Fame Award!! What I admire the most about Coach Pitino is how he helped Kentucky basketball get back to the top! …..Now some history for the young people.

Before Coach Pitino was hired, UK Basketball was beaten into the ground with shame for NCAA violations that occurred before Coach Pitino took over as Coach of the Wildcats. In 1996, he and his Wildcat team won the National Championship. It was not easy feat as a coach when you start out at the bottom. Also, Kentucky fans had waited a long, long 18 years before Coach Pitino led the Cats to victory in winning the NCAA Crown!

But CM Newton took the biggest risk of all when he hired a NBA coach who had a losing record (Coach Pitino) from the NBA. I give a lot of credit to CM Newton for where Kentucky basketball is today.

Words cannot describe Coach Cal and his talents in elevating UK basketball to where it is today.

24. ukcat1
    1:19 am September 10, 2013 Permalink

Agree with #15. Good college coach who you could/can believe when he’s telling the truth.

25. Sin The'
    9:09 am September 10, 2013 Permalink

“Nice comments by Pitino. My question: why did the camera keep shifting to Joan Rivers?”
    I was wondering the same thing, then I realized it was probably his wife wearing a Joan Rivers mask. If that doesn’t make you swear off plastic surgery nothing will. Her lips are almost touching her ears. Kinda like the Joker in Batman.

26. UKBlue1!
    10:53 am September 10, 2013 Permalink

I appreciate all he did at UK. I just dont like what happened after he left. I think that damage can’t ever be repaired. He and Farmer both need their Jerseys removed from the Rupp Rafters.

27. Poppschmidty
    11:15 am September 10, 2013 Permalink

Some of you people are idiots. Pitino left UK for “greener” pastures and a fatter paycheck….WHO WOULDN’T?!?!? I’m sure he would have come back to UK if the position was open, but we were in the midst of some of Tubby Smith’s better years when that happened (team turmoil aside). I applaud Rick Pitino every chance I get, and I also hope he loses every game he coaches from here on out. His name belongs in the rafters at Rupp and there is not a question about that. Remember that without Pitino we wouldn’t have #6 & #7. Go Cats.

28. whodat
    12:01 pm September 10, 2013 Permalink

Finally, FINALLY RP speaks the truth” “those KY players.. thats the reason I am standing here today” You are right Rick.. without KY you wouldnt be in the HOF.

29. KevinM
    12:12 pm September 10, 2013 Permalink

Tolly Ho! Pitino was 90-74 with the NYK when CM took him away from there. Luckily, there was controversy in the Knicks org which encouraged Rick to come to Lexington.

When Rick was in Lexington, everyone hung on every word. The fan base was enamored til the end.
    Pitino was in Atlanta signing his book after his last season on his last day as UK coach. When I met him, I said whatever decision you do make, thanks for what you did for our program. He was gracious that day and he truly thought he couldn’t miss in Boston. I also think he knew he made a mistake on draft night that summer.

And if there is nothing more convincing than being patient hanging banners in Rupp, Pitino and Farmer are a couple of justifications to wait until their days are long over. Very hard to back track unless you pull and Hernandez or Sandusky.