Julio Jones found himself in a situation that you and I will likely never encounter.

The former Alabama and current Atlanta wide receiver lost an earring valued at $150,000 while jet skiing over the weekend. The earring sank to the bottom of Lake Lanier when Jones took a fall from his jet ski; and unfortunately for Jones, the spot where he lost the jewelry was about 65 feet deep.

So what did Jones do?

He did what only a person with $150,000 earrings can afford: He hired a dive team.

Unfortunately for Jones (again), the mission was an impossible one as the divers were tasked with searching for a small diamond beneath fallen trees and debris in pitch black waters. One of the divers told WXIA-TV in Atlanta“It’s down in crevasses and nooks and crannies… It’s impossible — absolutely impossible.”

Jones doesn’t seem too bothered by the loss. “It’s materialistic stuff,” he said. “You can always get that kind of stuff back.”

I have one question: Why would anyone wear $150K jewelry while on the water in the first place?

I say he got what he was asked for. Learn how lakes work.

Article written by Drew Franklin

29 Comments for Rich People Problems: Former Alabama star loses $150K earring in lake, hires dive team to find it

1. Shagaris Sock Puppet
    1:42 pm July 26, 2017 Permalink

If I was a diver, I would say that too and put the earring in my pocket and sell it for half the price! What in the world does a $150,000 earring do for you? I liked Julio too, now not so much. You could buy a lake house for that amount of $$$

• BBNDan7
      1:54 pm July 26, 2017 Permalink

Why does what he does with his money make you not like him? Lol

• PillsburyThrowboy
      1:56 pm July 26, 2017 Permalink

You don’t like Julio now because he had a $150k earring? You do realize that he got $13.5 mil last year. He played in only 17 games last season. That comes out to roughly $200,000 a QUARTER. He could almost buy that earring by just playing one quarter, even after taxes.

• 4everUKblue
      2:27 pm July 26, 2017 Permalink

Personally I have no feelings for Julio one way or the other but I also have no sympathy in this case, and I don’t care how much money he makes. I can honestly say I would never spend that much money on any piece of jewelry no matter how much money I had….but that’s just me, jewelry has never been of any interest to me.

• Mathlete
      2:37 pm July 26, 2017 Permalink

Devil’s advocate on the whole “don’t spend that much on jewelry” thing – some types of assets like jewelry and fine art tend to hold their value better than more conventional investments like stocks and bonds and they tend to have some tax advantages for your heirs once they inherit them. If your goal is to pass on wealth to future generations, you could definitely do worse.

Not a great call wearing it at the lake, but buying insanely expensive durable goods isn’t as terrible of a call as you might think.

• Shagaris Sock Puppet
      2:43 pm July 26, 2017 Permalink

Its not that I care what he does with his money or how much he makes, its that he had the nerve to go on the lake with that much $ dangling on his ear. And yes stuff like jewelry does hold value, but not at the bottom of the damn lake!

• njCat
      5:32 pm July 26, 2017 Permalink

Unless you buy the diamond from a miner in South Africa, any diamond you buy (especially colored ones) depreciate 40-50% the moment your 30 day money back guarantee runs out. Also, you have to pay to insure them – or risk a total loss like Mr Jones – and they don’t pay a dividend.

Any asset can increase or decrease in value and you never know what will happen when you buy it. Give me equities any day. Only costs $5.95 to dump it.

2. Ukgrad2006
    1:42 pm July 26, 2017 Permalink

Be right back…. going to buy some scuba gear so I can find this diamond.

3. Mathlete
    1:46 pm July 26, 2017 Permalink

When you’re making Julio Jones money, that’s like losing a decent pair of sunglasses to the rest of us in the lake.

• Mathlete
      1:47 pm July 26, 2017 Permalink

ha, editing error – that’s like losing a decent pair of sunglasses in the lake to the rest of us*

• Wilfred Smith
      3:31 pm July 26, 2017 Permalink

1% of his salary. I don’t pay 1% of my salary for Ray Bans.

• RealCatsFan
      5:04 pm July 26, 2017 Permalink

The chances of my losing a pair of sunglasses in Lake Cumberland is always directly proportional to the dollar amount spent on them. One reason why I never spend more than $20 on a pair.

• njCat
      5:36 pm July 26, 2017 Permalink

Sadly, this is most likely not the only unwise purchase this guy has made. Fact is far too many athletes burn thru their cash at an alarming rates. It’s theirs to lose of course, but you just wish they were more responsible so they didn’t end up like so many before them.

4. Biglaw Dawgin'
    1:50 pm July 26, 2017 Permalink

Why wouldn’t he just have an insurance policy for his jewelry? The money he paid the dive team would probably pay for his insurance on all of his jewelry over the next two years. If you’re going pay to have nice things, you might as well pay for the peace of mind too.

5. Chacosrule
    2:40 pm July 26, 2017 Permalink

Diamonds are grossly over priced anyway. Don’t believe me? Take your 5000$ engagement ring and try to sell it back. Thanks to guilt trip commercials and the Debeers monopoly.

• RealCatsFan
      5:02 pm July 26, 2017 Permalink

Yep – and I sure get sick of listening to the endless jewelry commercials on the radio. Kind of tells you that they are making unreal money to pay for that much advertising, doesn’t it?

6. TBW3011
    2:51 pm July 26, 2017 Permalink

Is this lake for sale? I’ll give 10k over actual value. 😉

7. KTR2786
    3:25 pm July 26, 2017 Permalink

No wonder the bankruptcy rates with professional athletes are epidemic. And what’s with the brothers and jewelry? They’re like teenage girls.

8. Luether
    4:14 pm July 26, 2017 Permalink

Nothing to see here. Just a typical, garden variety Democrat…

• RealCatsFan
      5:01 pm July 26, 2017 Permalink

Yeah, God fearing Republicans never buy expensive jewelry.

• Reuben Cuban
      5:16 pm July 26, 2017 Permalink

RCF: Too busy getting laid, one younger gal at a time. A la “Knute” GangreenRich.

• inside info2
      8:40 pm July 26, 2017 Permalink

what is it with repubtards and worrying about everyone elses business ???

9. 8xchamp
    4:46 pm July 26, 2017 Permalink

Another athlete that’ll be broke 10 years after making 200 million dollars.

10. ukcamel
    5:06 pm July 26, 2017 Permalink

What a weird headline. It reads like it’s just some random NFL guy, rather than the best receiver in football. It would be like a story about John Wall just saying “former Kentucky star PG…”

11. Reuben Cuban
    5:11 pm July 26, 2017 Permalink

This morning at 5:00 a.m. it was reported for two hours that the (ear) ring was worth $100,00.

First question: How did it’s value increase $50,000 since this morning?

Second: What kind of fool, who made the money he made, not insure that ring?

I just answered the second question….and the first.

Now, looking for the (ear) ring in a Lake (like Lanier) shall forever be regarded as a kazillion (Dubya’s term) times worse than looking for a needle in a haystack.

Those are your odds, Vegas’ns.

12. Jazz1124
    5:31 pm July 26, 2017 Permalink

This dude ain’t even worried about losing an earring that could pay off my house in its entirety and a new car. Just let that sink in. This dude probably wipes his behind with bills that could pay my mortgage.

13. AtlAndy
    7:13 am July 27, 2017 Permalink

Yeah sure the divers didn’t find it wink wink. Pocketed it! take it to the pawn shop