Rich Brooks weighs in on Petrino to Louisville

brooks-motorcycle

By now, everyone has weighed in on Bobby Petrino’s return to Louisville, including former UK head coach Rich Brooks:

Yep.

28 Comments for Rich Brooks weighs in on Petrino to Louisville

1. MMM
    8:20 am January 9, 2014 Permalink

It’s like the saying…”If they did it with you, they’ll do it to you,” but, in this case, it’s more like, “If they did it to you, they’ll do it with you…, and probably do it to you again.”

2. Kidnut
    8:23 am January 9, 2014 Permalink

Yeah, but how are the tomatoes?

3. Rockfield, KY
    8:24 am January 9, 2014 Permalink

Does anyone have a better life than Papaw Brooks?

4. UKSupporter76
    8:39 am January 9, 2014 Permalink

Okay so a couple of thoughts on this… For starters, we need to put a stop to this “Louisville is giving Bobby a 2nd chance” narrative. 2nd chance at what? It’s not like Bobby was unemployed and living under a bridge… He already landed a coaching gig at WKU. He’s never had a problem finding work. 2nd Chance at Louisville? Hardly. Bobby quit. Louisville didn’t fire him. Bobby is giving Louisville a 2nd chance, not the other way around.

Also, no more “Bobby is a changed man” talk. If by changed, you mean “not going to be putting his mistresses on the state payroll anymore, I suppose that’s fair, but I believe the knock on Bobby in Louisville’s camp (right up until the moment he was mentioned as a serious candidate to replace Strong) was that he always had one foot out the door, looking for a better gig. Well if you think he’s changed in that regard, let me remind Louisville fans that he did it again TODAY. He just left WKU after ONE YEAR for a better gig. If Louisville fans really believe that Bobby is a changed man, why are so many of them insisting that he have a huge multi-million dollar buyout?

5. JayOne
    8:43 am January 9, 2014 Permalink

This is the Kentucky media’s favorite program. No one will question this hire to Jurich’s face and since when does integrity matter at “the favorite program”. UNC is protected by their media and now we can add UL to the list. ( actually they were already there)

This will all blow over by the end of the week. So how should the Kentucky staff handle this? Recruiting is the key. When you visit Johnny All American’s home, continue to recruit the parents, with emphasis on the mother and hammer the integrity of UL in their living room. This is not dirty recruiting it is stating facts about Favorite Program UL. If there are any UL recruits UK wants, call mama and see how she feels about sending Jr. to play for a coach and AD without ethics. Even if you don’t change their mind you plant a seed.

6. Jarvis Redwine
    8:43 am January 9, 2014 Permalink

The Petrino hire is great for UK. He does not recruit well. Louisville has already had several kids renounce their commitments. Both Arkansas and UL had some bad years after Petrino left those schools mostly due to poor talent level. He inherited good talent upon arriving at Arkansas and UL (the 1st time).

• Cayuts by a hunnert!
      11:28 am January 9, 2014 Permalink

Jarvis, dude! Weren’t you on this same site back before UK hired Stoops screaming for Barnhart to hire Petrino? Really, correct me if I’m mistaken.

• Jarvis Redwine
      12:50 pm January 9, 2014 Permalink

Yep. I was wrong. Hindsight is 20/20. Mitch did the right thing. Wouldn’t trade Stoops right now. Unprecedented recruiting success, younger than Petrino, may stay long term and seems to be a highly ethical and moral family man. Home run hire.

7. Rixter
    8:53 am January 9, 2014 Permalink

Two things that do surprise me:
    1. I’m surprised that I fell for Jurich’s smokescreen that he was all about integrity and loyalty. Like many of you, I hate U of L, but I really bought into that crap for about 10 years. He’s sure showing his true colors now. How would you like to hitch your wagon to Bobby Petrino’s star? YIKES! If this goes poorly, Mr Jurich could be looking for work.
    2. I’m surprised at the reaction I’ve heard from 2 of the biggest U of L homers around, Howie Lindsey and Eric Crawford. Neither guy sounds the least bit happy about the hire, and when I asked myself why, the answer became pretty obvious: Howie and Eric are exactly the kind of nerdy suck-ups that Petrino must revel in picking on, much like I heard he made Rocco G cry, I bet these guys run and hide when they see Bobby coming!

8. BBN
    8:54 am January 9, 2014 Permalink

Contrary to popular belief at KSR, the national media has been mostly complimentary of the hire of Petrino. Unfortunately humans have short memories. The Marv Albert sexual assault affair (NBA on TNT) in the 1990s proved that to be true.

9. Section 134
    8:55 am January 9, 2014 Permalink

Generally don’t like Crawford but his article nails it

10. JohnnyRed
    9:03 am January 9, 2014 Permalink

Sounds to me like Brooks is still bitter over getting his ass beat every year by Petrino. And Jarvis – you are to some degree correct, except that in UofL’s case, Petrino left the program with plenty of talent, but Kragthorpe lost the players respect and as a result he could not control them – end result was they eventually left or were dismissed.

• Bluecreeker
      9:48 am January 9, 2014 Permalink

Are we talking about the same Rich Brooks who beat UofL’s a$$ in

2007…2008…2009…2010

Surely you have your fact right?……….Nope, just another misinformed UofL fan.

By the way, Kragthorpe let 21 players go when he arrived. The big difference in Krag’s and Petrino is that Krag’s ran a clean program, didn’t allow gang bangers and pot heads on the team.

This is the reality of the situation JR…….please read a book or something.

• JohnnyRed
      10:13 am January 9, 2014 Permalink

I wrote “…by Petrino.” Petrino NEVER lost to UK. Not at UofL, not at Arkansas, and not at WKU. Are you sure I was misinformed?

• Paul
      12:56 pm January 9, 2014 Permalink

JohnnyRed- yes, I’m sure you are misinformed. UK beat Arkansas with Petrino at the helm.

• the guy on the couch
      2:43 pm January 9, 2014 Permalink

Bluecreeker – Brooks wasn’t your coach in 2010. So maybe you’re the one who needs to get your facts straight?

Bottom line, Petrino is 5-1 against your pathetic excuse for a football team who has 7 winning seasons in conference since 1933. But I digress. Bobby is 4-0 at UofL, 0-1 at Arkansas, 1-0 at Western Kentucky vs your wildcats.

Be afraid.

11. Kragthorpe
    9:07 am January 9, 2014 Permalink

It think this hire is great for the Kentucky fan base in general. It will be exciting in the short term to watch this rivalry grow between Stoops and Bobby P (he hates us with a passion), and when it is all said and done this move by Jurich may cost him his job. Ask Steve Kragthorpe and the coach that followed at Arkansas what was waiting for them after following Bobby, and look what happened to each program the next several years. Jurich has signed his name to this move and put all of his eggs on winning at all cost, which I understand, but when things go south this time, and they will sooner than later, the local and national media will be all over little brother and rightfully so.

• Doubtful
      10:00 am January 9, 2014 Permalink

if he hates us with a passion why was he begging for our head coaching job before we hired Stoops?

• Dave
      3:00 pm January 9, 2014 Permalink

The following stories originally appeared in this Carmody’s Corner piece written by former student managers

Jordan Tackett:

Coach Petrino’s second year, week 2, I am grabbing a package for him from UPS, and he wants it inside his office. I run it up, set it down, and turn to walk off and he says “wait, open it up.” So I turn and open the box and pull out a poster-sized frame with a picture of the Louisville-Kentucky scoreboard from the previous week. He had me hold it up, walk back to the wall, and then yelled for Paul Petrino to come into his office.

This thing was heavy and I am holding it up and waiting. Paul comes in and they stand at his desk where Bobby reads the score out loud: “Louisville 28, Slapdicks nothing. I f*&$ing love it, those little smurfs didn’t even score a point.” They looked at me and said, “that is what winners do, kick their ass.” He told me to set it down where he could look at it and as I was leaving he grabbed me and said “get used to it, we are going to kick their ass every year.”

Bobby Petrino’s record against UK: 4-0.

Ben Beiting:

I want to piggyback on one of Jordan’s stories about UK. Coach Petrino absolutely hates UK.

His first game as head coach for UofL is against Kentucky and in Lexington in 2003. He is already not happy because the game has been delayed for an hour and a half because of rain. It was a back and forth game, but we pulled out ahead in the fourth quarter. We go on a long drive to end the game. We get to UK’s two yard line with I think about 6 seconds left. A timeout is called (I can’t remember which team called it.) UK thinks we are going to kneel it because we already had a lead. This doesn’t happen.

I worked up in the coach’s box with the headsets that year and I always set up a headset so I could listen to what Coach Petrino was saying. At this particular moment he tells Paul Petrino and the rest of the offensive coaches, “Let’s punch it in on these mother f——ers!!” Coach P calls a running play and Lionel Gates runs it in for a TD to end the game.

It was awesome.
      Bobby Petrino’s record against UK: 4-0.

12. READ BETWEEN THE LINES
    9:07 am January 9, 2014 Permalink

Coach Brooks is a master diplomat… something they don’t teach at U uh L… But really sharp readers (aka non-UNC student athletes) can read between the lines… For those UNC Athletes reading this blog, let me translate:

“Well it is no surprise that Louisville (a school with no morals, integrtity, or shame) hired Coach Petrino (lying 2-timing adulterer) back (because he already screwed them over once) since he did what he did there before (kept his philandering, and adultery off the front page for four years). Some things never surprise me (because I know what low down, dirty amoral administrators, boosters and fans they are over at lil bro).”

13. Bleed Blue Undergrad
    10:23 am January 9, 2014 Permalink

Rich Brooks is the man, He wears blue flip flops while riding a blue motorcycle and I bet they have a wildcat on them somewhere. Probably bought them at the bookstore on campus when he was in town awhile back. What are some more reasons we love Rich Brooks?

14. Mikey
    11:23 am January 9, 2014 Permalink

Is Coach Brooks driving the motorcycle in flip flops? lol

15. RandyB
    12:30 pm January 9, 2014 Permalink

I heard that Brooks said that in his long career Petrino was the only coach that he hated.
    Is that true? If so, got a link?

16. Dee W.
    2:09 am January 10, 2014 Permalink

Masterful subtlety on the part of Coach Brooks…