Rex Chapman is in studio! (Wednesday Show Thread)

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Wednesday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, Rex Chapman will join Matt, Ryan, and Drew in studio to discuss his new gig as the cohost of the UK Basketball Pregame Show, as well as some of his thoughts on the new Cats. The guys will also look ahead to Saturday’s road trip to Missouri, and probably discuss a bunch of random stuff.

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

affiliate-list

49 Comments for Rex Chapman is in studio! (Wednesday Show Thread)

1. UKFaninNY
    9:58 am October 26, 2016 Permalink

Eff him

2. ClutchCargo
    10:00 am October 26, 2016 Permalink

Thanks for the heads-up. I will not be listening today.

3. Laker Cat 18
    10:05 am October 26, 2016 Permalink

I can’t help but think Oscar was ran out to open the spot for Rex. I don’t think it was on his own accord. With that said, I find it very unfortunate for Oscar.

• I hope that’s not true. LOVE the Oscar!!!

• Realme
      10:19 am October 26, 2016 Permalink

I hope not. Rex is probably a good choice, but he’s no Oscar. I won’t listen to him anyways, I still resent him for ruining my game watching experience in the 2014 championship game. But I don’t think he’d do anything for me regardless. I was a kid and not following sports yet, and it’s not like he has a championship.

• Yeah Realme, it’s hard to forget that tweet debacle. He apparently apologized to Cal, but not to the BBN that I know of. I could be wrong, but that’s what some commentors on this site maintain.

• Realme
      10:24 am October 26, 2016 Permalink

I remember him being an unapologetic jerk to fans over that nonsense.

• runningunnin.454
      11:09 am October 26, 2016 Permalink

Personally, I believe there’s a time to forgive and forget; and, addiction is a terrible thing. But, I don’t remember the tweet debacle thing….what exactly did he say?

• J-Dub421
      11:11 am October 26, 2016 Permalink

In 2014, right before the NT game against UConn, Rex tweeted that Coach Cal was leaving to coach the Lakers.

• Realme
      11:17 am October 26, 2016 Permalink

Had an epic run to the championship game, so excited, and minutes before the game, Rex definitively stated that he knew that Cal was leaving. Sucked all the joy out of the game. It was clear pretty early that it wasn’t our night, but I didn’t get excited enough to cheer or get off the couch the entire game.

I agree it’s unlikely the players knew, but Willie did tweet after Rex’s, so at least one player was on Twitter and could have seen it. It could have easily affected their focus if they had seen it.

I’m making myself mad all over again.

• runningunnin.454
      11:21 am October 26, 2016 Permalink

Thanks, J-D.
      When Rex was in HS, I was in Owensboro, and used to hang out at a local tavern with Rex’s dad, Wayne.Rex was really something in HS; I went to nearly every Apollo game.
      I wouldn’t have been too upset about that tweet. I was more upset with Wayne missing two FT’s against Michigan that would have sent Western Ky to the final four; used to give him good natured heck over that.

• J-Dub421
      11:29 am October 26, 2016 Permalink

Julius Randle looked nervous the whole game. I thought the “big moment” of being in the NT game simply overwhelmed a team with eight freshmen.

• As a Christian I DEFINITELY believe in forgiveness, but to get it you have to humble yourself. I would have liked for Rex to have sounded a little more OUTWARDLY & expressly apologetic, rather than just saying he had been a jerk, but I liked what he had to say today.

• J-Dub, don’t forget Randle also laughed about how late he was up that Saturday night after the Wiscy win writing in his journal. He told the press “Don’t tell Coach Cal”. I think he was gassed partly because of that. Remember he would get gassed in the regular season also, in addition to cramping.

• Oh, and Randle had to be pulled like less than 2 minutes into the game or something. Not blaming it all on him, but it was a factor IMHO.

4. UKBlueGreen
    10:12 am October 26, 2016 Permalink

Rex, you look good. Stay clean!

5. Okay guys, I’m home from work sick today and I’m going to try to call in. We’ll see how it goes.

• Well, MAYBE in the 2nd hour.

I prolly won’t get through, so I’ll tell you what I planned to call about. Bruce Pearl was on a local show down here this morning, and I thought Ryan would love to hear that he said “This is the youngest team I’ve ever coached, and because we’re so young, we’re going to be thin in the butt this year.” Hah!

I also thought I might talk about how otherworldly Saban’s success at Bama has been and draw some parallels between Bama football and UK bball (not original, but still interesting to me).

• Realme
      10:20 am October 26, 2016 Permalink

Feel better, hope you get on. Sounds like you have to wait for second hour.

• Thanks. Battling a sinus infection. Waiting for Zithromax to kick in. It might be hard to muster the needed energy (not to mention VOICE!) anyway.

• J-Dub421
      10:31 am October 26, 2016 Permalink

Hope you feel better soon.

• Thanks J-Dub!

Well, I didn’t get a chance to call after all, so I tweeted the story. I’m sure lines are jammed now. We’ll see if I might at least make the Top 10 Tweets!

6. leshearer
    10:15 am October 26, 2016 Permalink

I really don’t understand how Chapman landed the JMI gig, either. I have no time for Chapman’s opinions, or insights.

• UKPROF
      11:00 am October 26, 2016 Permalink

it’s called ‘minimum wage’.

7. Realme
    10:23 am October 26, 2016 Permalink

They started their impressions segment to win the Bahamas trip on Hey KY last night, and one of them was saying what Matt says to open a show, but he kept pausing to toot a whistle. Was hilarious.

8. Laker Cat 18
    10:43 am October 26, 2016 Permalink

Not a big Rex fan, but it takes a lot of courage to come on the radio and do what he’s doing right now. Good for him.

9. Neal Orac
    10:46 am October 26, 2016 Permalink

Huge mistake. I bet he only last one season.

10. UKPROF
    10:58 am October 26, 2016 Permalink

Why would you want to ‘advertise’ him? Isn’t it obvious that all it has done is to cost you listeners!!?? I can not imagine even one person saying, “Oh boy Rex Chapman is going to be on KSR today!”

11. Realme
    11:06 am October 26, 2016 Permalink

Did they take any calls for Rex? I bet not.

• J-Dub421
      11:10 am October 26, 2016 Permalink

With Rex on the line, no. I guess people could call in now though.

• Realme
      11:18 am October 26, 2016 Permalink

I think they wouldn’t have risked letting Rex get the Stoops call in show treatment.

12. J-Dub421
    11:09 am October 26, 2016 Permalink

At this point, I think I like Rex better than Derek Anderson. Rex went to rehab and got clean. DA continues to breed dissent with his loyalty to Pitino over UK and hate campaign against Coach Cal.

• ukjaybrat
      11:13 am October 26, 2016 Permalink

yeah people make mistakes all the time. at least Rex admitted to his mistakes and has taken steps to “bond those bridges” with bbn. DA is just burning bridges left and right for no apparent reason and doesn’t seem to care.

• ukjaybrat
      11:15 am October 26, 2016 Permalink

Personally i think a lot of people need to lighten up a bit. bad things happen to good people. we don’t know what his state of mind was. Would any of us want to be forgiven if the situation were reversed ?

it’s one thing to be upset, it’s a complete different thing to hold a grudge against someone that has apologized and went to rehab.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:18 am October 26, 2016 Permalink

I’m a bit behind on the Derek Anderson issues. What exactly did he do other than show loyalty to his coach at the time?

• ukjaybrat
      11:23 am October 26, 2016 Permalink

i’ll let others provide the nitty gritty details, but it all started after the 2014 loss in the finals. he went on a louisville radio show and basically bashed Cal’s coaching ability. They were laughing all the way and eating up every word, because duh.

He has since said he didn’t know it was a ul radio show and was just trying to give constructive criticism. But he has openly criticized Cal’s coaching at every opportunity without giving him credit for anything good he has done. That’s not constructive criticism, that’s just being a troll. He doesn’t constructively criticize pitino the same way. he hasn’t said a word about hooker gate and maybe pitino should step down. But cal is a bad coach. doesn’t sit well with me.

• J-Dub421
      11:24 am October 26, 2016 Permalink

He throws shade at Coach Cal pretty much every opportunity he gets, even after Coach Cal bought the 1996 team championship rings with his own money. (Neither UK or Pitino got rings for them.)

• Realme
      11:26 am October 26, 2016 Permalink

DA used to use Cal and the team (especially if a player got injured) for publicity and Cal treated him well. Then when we lost to Wisconsin, he couldn’t wait to bash Cal publicly. He doubled down on that next time Matt had him on. According to Matt, he has become one of Cal’s loudest critics in non-public conversations now too. That’s all I know.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:33 am October 26, 2016 Permalink

Makes sense. Looks like DA is all about the $ now. After a peek at his website, I feel like he is a walking publicity stunt at this point.

13. sincitycat
    11:13 am October 26, 2016 Permalink

Good luck Rex and stay clean.

14. RealCatsFan
    11:17 am October 26, 2016 Permalink

Matt can say what he wants to, but I find it very hard to believe that the players did not hear about that tweet before the game. Add to that the wierd lack of fire from the team in that loss, and it becomes even harder to believe.

• ukjaybrat
      11:20 am October 26, 2016 Permalink

I don’t know why that’s hard to believe… it’s pretty common practice to shield yourself from social media during pre-game routines.

• Realme
      11:27 am October 26, 2016 Permalink

It is not unusual to see our FB and BB players on Twitter in between warm-ups and the start of a game.

• ukjaybrat
      11:32 am October 26, 2016 Permalink

Posting a tweet and surfing twitter are not the same thing. Rex’s thing came out minutes before the game started. I highly doubt anybody was sitting there surfing twitter when they were about to run out onto the court. I could be wrong, but it’s not “very hard to believe” that.

15. UKBlueGreen
    11:19 am October 26, 2016 Permalink

Thanks, sincitycat. I feel the same way!

16. J-Dub421
    11:32 am October 26, 2016 Permalink

There is a huge difference between taking an easy class, and taking a class where you literally never have to show up or do any work at all, never take any tests, and still get an “A.”

17. Realme
    11:55 am October 26, 2016 Permalink

I tried Blue Apron, and it is a lot of work. There is no way Matt has actually cooked one of their meals.