Revisiting Saturday’s embarrassment (Monday Show Thread)

ut-uk

USA Today

Before we move ahead to the two basketball exhibitions and Saturday’s trip to Athens, we better revisit the embarrassment we witnessed in Commonwealth Stadium over the week. The Cats played an awful game against archrival Tennessee, and the fan base is very upset by the effort.

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

WLSI (900am) Pikeville
WPRT (960am): Prestonsburg
WSFC (1240am): Somerset
WTCW (920am): Whitesburg
WHAY (98.3fm): Whitley City
WBTH (1400am): Williamson
PRTC TV Channels 209 & 409: Jackson & Owlsey Counties (Replayed at 1 and 6)

On Delay (ALL TIMES LISTED EASTERN)…

WVHI (1330am): Evansville, IN, 5-7pm
WMTL (870am): Leitchfield, 11am-1pm
WLBQ (1570am): Morgantown, 3-5pm
WRIL (106.3fm): Middlesboro, Thur 8-10pm
WWTF (1580am): Lexington, 4-6pm

Article written by Drew Franklin

86 Comments for Revisiting Saturday’s embarrassment (Monday Show Thread)

1. UK_JB
    9:50 am November 2, 2015 Permalink

Breeders cup… awesome.
    Halloween… awesome.
    Basketball starts tonight… awesome.
    MixMas on 94.5… awesome.

UK Football… Ugh. Not hanging up the towel yet, but getting there.

• Daniel
      10:28 am November 2, 2015 Permalink

Breeders cup was just… Meh. I honestly expected so much more. I mean, it was a good race. But they didn’t handle the crowd well. Wife was constantly pushed and shoved and it took forever to get refreshments. It also got dirty real fast with people just disposing of papers and trash wherever they saw fit. It was very unfortunate.

• ElliotUK
      10:47 am November 2, 2015 Permalink

UK football just feels like a little midget clown that shows up at my doorstep every august and punches me in the NutSack once a week for 3 months and then runs away only to return next year.

2. The Rest of the story
    10:11 am November 2, 2015 Permalink

Where is the player development under Stoops?

• Blue
      10:42 am November 2, 2015 Permalink

There is none. The improvement just isn’t there and for some reason Stoops isn’t making the changes that need to be made to make it happen.

• ukjaybrat
      10:53 am November 2, 2015 Permalink

did you both forget that we had 2 win seasons just a couple years ago. with pretty much the same players (same caliber players)… with those teams, we probably are win-less right now. how’s that for player development ?

• ukjaybrat
      10:54 am November 2, 2015 Permalink

It’s easy to ignore the success when you are surrounded by disappointment. but when your expectations are set higher than the team’s ceiling, you are never going to be happy.

3. “Comment awaiting moderation” when I said nothing controversial. *sigh*

• somerset bill
      11:10 am November 2, 2015 Permalink

i may have missed it, but it would be good to see the exact rules of comment moderation. seeing penis jokes or worse make the grade, and then having something innocuous get flagged is moderation in the most ridiculous manner possible.

4. RealCatsFan
    10:14 am November 2, 2015 Permalink

If this team shows no heart and does not compete against UGA, I am done with football for this year.

• Veritas
      10:15 am November 2, 2015 Permalink

I’ll save you the suspense – they’re done. Stick a fork in them.

• Rixter
      10:40 am November 2, 2015 Permalink

BUT, they can still go to a BOWL!! Aren’t you listening to Matt and Ryan???? We could get to a bowl by beating South Carolina, Missouri, LA-Lafayette, Vandy, Charlotte, and EKU!! How impressive is that???

• ukjaybrat
      10:55 am November 2, 2015 Permalink

worse teams have gotten into bowls with 6 worse wins than that…

• RealCatsFan
      11:21 am November 2, 2015 Permalink

Rixter, I’ll be glad to see them make a bowl game, if for no other reason than the extra practice time will hopefully help to develop the young players for next year. They are going to need the extra reps, because the schedule will be much tougher next year.

5. Mixxy
    10:15 am November 2, 2015 Permalink

It frustrates me that we keep turning out these same performances against Tennessee. Over the last decade or so, they’ve been about the same as us or worse, yet they have a 9-1 against us over that period of time. That’s totally unacceptable. This is an opponent we should beat close to half the time because they are about like us these days, a struggling program hoping for a bowl game.

• The Rest of the story
      10:23 am November 2, 2015 Permalink

Lol are you for real dude? UT is light years ahead of UK in recruiting. They go after and get 4 and 5 stars and UK gets almost all 3 stars with a 4 here and there.

• Mixxy
      10:40 am November 2, 2015 Permalink

20 years ago, UT was a big program. But now they are a program that hopes in a good year to win 7 or 8 games. Their fan base has not adjusted to that new reality, really, but that’s who they are. There’s no reason not to beat them fairly regularly.

• Joker
      10:46 am November 2, 2015 Permalink

I never gave up 50 points to UT, and i beat them with a WR at QB. Stoops gave up 50 twice.

• Joker
      11:06 am November 2, 2015 Permalink

But I’m also the reason UK is still trying to rebuild what I broke down. I still apologize to coach Brooks regularly for taking a decent team to the steaming pile of $hit that it was when I was fired.

• RealCatsFan
      11:26 am November 2, 2015 Permalink

Crawford had a pretty good take on this inn his column the other day:

“According to Scout.com, the Vols signed 32 four- or five-star prospects in their last two recruiting classes. Kentucky signed nine.”

That right there should put everything in perspective for everyone. As much progress as UK has made in recruiting, we are still way behind the rest of the SEC. We really have no business being in this conference. It is a football conference. No other program gives half a $hit about basketball. Their arenas are empty except when UK comes to town, and their fans are apathetic at best about BB. We would be much better off in the ACC.

6. Andy
    10:15 am November 2, 2015 Permalink

We are a 17 point dog to a team that hasn’t scored a TD in two weeks? WOW….there’s some respect….

• The Rest of the story
      10:24 am November 2, 2015 Permalink

17 is being generous .

• Rixter
      10:40 am November 2, 2015 Permalink

I’ll take UGA – 17

7. ClutchCargo
    10:17 am November 2, 2015 Permalink

Maybe we just need to step away from the ledge here, even the KSR bloggers. Yeah, there is a strong sense of what could have been with several of these games, but I’m confident that any UK fan would have been good with 4-4 with wins against USC and Missouri if you had taken a poll before the season. I too am frustrated, though, with the lack of adjustments to fix glaring problems.

• It’s not the record-it’s how badly we’ve played the last 2 weeks.

• Dude Seriously
      10:34 am November 2, 2015 Permalink

I honestly am fine with the record…I am concerned about the drop off the map mid-season like last year. Depth is not where we hoped it would be. I think Stoops first yr recruiting wasnt as great as we thought it was…he really didnt have much time….and I think Stoops needs to demand some improvement from his coaches. Schemes are great…..it puts guys where they need to.be…but a coach needs to motivate. We need to see some fire out there….its football…tag somebody. We arent a physical football team right now…and we should be.

8. Laker Cat 18
    10:22 am November 2, 2015 Permalink

1. Let the QB run!
    2. Quit running zone runs & screens on 3rd and long.
    3. Get the Conrad more involved.
    4. Where is our defense?

Go Cats!

• RealCatsFan
      11:29 am November 2, 2015 Permalink

I think they need to make Towles more of a running QB. Last year he made some really good scrambles for scores or first downs. This year he just slides to the turf if anyone gets within 3 yards of him. I realize they want to preserve the QB, but is Barker that bad that we can’t let him scramble some?

9. Mike
    10:23 am November 2, 2015 Permalink

Yeah, IWIDKNWIDKT is a good lyric. Especially the first time we heard in the Bob Seger songAgainst the Wind.

10. Richard Head
    10:24 am November 2, 2015 Permalink

My post is awaiting moderation and should be. It was concerning bandwagon fans.

• ukjaybrat
      10:44 am November 2, 2015 Permalink

Bandwagon fans are bad, but at least they fade away. the fans that constantly throw players/teams/etc under the bus all year regardless of their success or lack thereof tick me off even more. at least we don’t have to listen to the bandwagon fans complain all the time.

11. Snootie
    10:26 am November 2, 2015 Permalink

Blame Joker.

• Daniel
      10:30 am November 2, 2015 Permalink

I blame Hartline!

12. Laker Cat 18
    10:27 am November 2, 2015 Permalink

I don’t see the point in knocking Georgia’s offensive struggles when our defense can’t stay off the field.

• Jim
      10:37 am November 2, 2015 Permalink

we will make Georgia’s QB look like a heisman candidate. Their RB will look like a track star, and their Defense will look all world.

13. T Shemwell
    10:29 am November 2, 2015 Permalink

This team is not the problem. Your problem is at the Qb position his decision making along with his inaccurate throws is the problem and has been all season. Towels is over hyped and should have been benched but it’s probably to late. When you consistently missing open receivers you don’t know how good your team is. Towels either step up or make a change. He’s killing team moral.

• J-Dub421
      10:40 am November 2, 2015 Permalink

Towles is not the problem. The offensive line is the problem. You can’t expect the quarterback to be accurate when he’s constantly running for his life.

• ukjaybrat
      10:47 am November 2, 2015 Permalink

THANK YOU JDUB !

many people are too ignorant about football to notice this. all they see is a missed pass, they don’t see towles darting to the sideline so he isn’t crushed by a linebacker. they don’t care. they hear the continuous rhetoric from ignorant fans about all his over/under throws and see the results on the field but don’t ask WHY he’s so inaccurate. they don’t care. they have prejudged him to be a crappy quarterback and would rather (for some reason) see a younger, less experienced version of the same quarterback… because that makes a lot of sense.

• Jim
      10:51 am November 2, 2015 Permalink

Towles is a problem, yes there are dropped passes, yes the O line couldn’t block a decent high school team, but when you have the time you have to make those throws. The best pass Towles has thrown all year is to a UT defensive lineman, man he put that one right on the numbers, 5 yards away from him. He’s not accurate consistently and that is a problem in this league. Has he ever called an audible when he can see the play isn’t going to work due to the alignment of the defense? i don’t think so. I’m not sure he can read a defense.

• CATandMONKEY
      11:01 am November 2, 2015 Permalink

If you cannot spell T-o-w-l-e-s: fail. When you leave out several important verbs: fail. When you don’t know the difference between moral and morale: fail. You may have had some reasonable concerns but they cannot be taken seriously by the literate members of BBN.

• J-Dub421
      11:04 am November 2, 2015 Permalink

“but when you have the time you have to make those throws.” When does Towles ever have the time? There are three defenders in his face as soon as the ball is snapped. Towles CANNOT be accurate and consistent when the offensive line looks like a sieve.

• Dude Seriously
      11:05 am November 2, 2015 Permalink

Towles has not had a great season…but if you think Barker or Phillips or Joe Nameth would be putting up incredible numbers with this o-line you are delusional. We have 3 sec caliber running backs…how are we doing running the ball? Not great. The line has been far more troublesome than qb play. You cant blame this teams struggles all on Towles.

• hater
      11:12 am November 2, 2015 Permalink

Lots of fans who remind me of Browns fans when Couch was playing on a broken leg.

• apocalypse
      5:41 pm November 2, 2015 Permalink

Our issues are not coming from the QB position, our issues with the offense are coming from the offensive line, period. NOBODY can take a snap, try to look for an open receiver, then set and make a throw in one second.
      Patrick has been getting hammered every time he drops back in the past 3 games and until we fix that issue the young man is going to struggle and so will the entire offense.
      What I would like to see is C.J. Conrad moved back to the line to not only provide some help to the tackle but actually hit the seam and keep the safety’s from bailing out to cover our WR’s deep.
      The defense just gives up to much ground on the corners, hell, get tight and play some bump and run. We are giving them 5 to 8 yards every play.

14. At least the Bengals are 7-0! WHO DEY???!!!

And at least it’s basketball season! 🙂 But I’m on the road for my job tonight. 🙁
    Hopefully I can pick the game up on 840/1530 or stream it on iHeart when I’m in the car.

GO CATS!!!

15. KYCATS13
    10:30 am November 2, 2015 Permalink

Depth and youth, sound familiar?

• Rixter
      10:34 am November 2, 2015 Permalink

UK has been the youngest team in the SEC for 6 straight years now.

16. Snootie
    10:32 am November 2, 2015 Permalink

Depth, those scholarship restrictions Joker left us with are killing us. Blame Joker!

17. Rixter
    10:33 am November 2, 2015 Permalink

Here’s the problem with UK football – the bar is set SOOOOO INCREDIBLY LOW – it’s really hard to be worse than back to back 2 win seasons. So a 3 win season would be cheered by some. Matt: “Hey, if I told you before the season started that we would go 4 – 8, you’d take that, right?”
    NO – I want more than almost being mediocre. Sorry, that’s just me.

18. Snootie
    10:34 am November 2, 2015 Permalink

We have 85 scholarship players. Lol at depth.

19. Tony
    10:35 am November 2, 2015 Permalink

Matt please don’t use Western as a barometer, Even this year Western would beat Stoops/Towles by 20 this year.

• Tony Edelen
      1:17 pm November 2, 2015 Permalink

No doubt WKU is the team in this STATE.

20. Becker
    10:36 am November 2, 2015 Permalink

At least UK didn’t show the baseball game on the scoreboard. Also, I left right before the end of the third quarter in part because Jared was about to trot out Rich Brooks on the field and I couldn’t bare to see the blue-white cheer in a half-empty stadium. But then I saw Jared and Tim Couch under the stands as I left, Did they abort that mission?

21. Richard
    10:37 am November 2, 2015 Permalink

Hey Matt I know you’re a wrestling fan. What do you think about ESPN doing a 30 for 30 on Ric Flair?

22. I hate to say it, but the scores of the last 2 UT games are very reminiscent of the Mumme era.

BTW, the comment that continually won’t post (I’ve given up after 4 or 5 tries with editing) is mostly positive in nature about UK football. Does anyone here know how in the world the algorithms work on this site? It doesn’t make sense, especially in light of some comments that get posted.

• Mixxy
      10:42 am November 2, 2015 Permalink

The difference is, UT was an elite program in the nineties. Now they struggle to get to low-end bowls. It was understandable losing to UT like this when they were consistently a ranked team. Not now.

• J-Dub421
      10:43 am November 2, 2015 Permalink

I feel your pain. There is no method to the madness when it comes to comment moderation.

• ukjaybrat
      10:50 am November 2, 2015 Permalink

It’d be nice if we could edit posts for re-submission to the waiting moderation madness… wordpress is the most helpful for bloggers but the least user friendly for us

• I agree Mixxy.

J-Dub, at least it’s nice to know I’m not the only one!

23. STD
    10:44 am November 2, 2015 Permalink

STD watches SVU but makes fun of people for watching Lord of the Rings and StarWars lmao

24. CATandMONKEY
    10:51 am November 2, 2015 Permalink

Thompson was the best DA on Law and Order. Glad to hear Matt give Fred his due. If Thompson was a bit closer to his Arthur Branch character, he could have made a serious run in the presidential race. He will be missed. Thanks Matt for giving a respectful synopsis of Thompson’s career.

25. Patrick
    10:52 am November 2, 2015 Permalink

I’ve taken Advocare for the past 4 months and lost 34lbs. May not be for everyone but it’s worked for me.

26. Bob The Builder
    10:54 am November 2, 2015 Permalink

I feel like “Joker players” have down syndrome the way BBN talks about them and refers to them. We can’t cover kickofs, we still have Joker players.

27. CATandMONKEY
    10:56 am November 2, 2015 Permalink

We ( my musician buddies and I) always morbidly joked that Morgan was the renason that the genius of Whitley is no longer with us. Hussy, for sure.

28. JZ
    10:57 am November 2, 2015 Permalink

Maybe if we gave our Linemen that foaming mouth stuff (i.e Little Giants), we would win more games. Its simple really…

29. BluKudzu
    10:58 am November 2, 2015 Permalink

Mitch Barnhart called a meeting with Mark Stoops and all of his coaches. They were to meet in the locker room under the stadium at 10:00 o’clock. Stoops and his assistant coaches were all there, on time.
    Mitch walked in looking both mad and worried. He glares at all of them go a moment, sending shivers down their spines, knowing their performance was the likely cause for this meeting.
    Then Mitch utters in a low evil voice “Mark Stoops, I have been advised, that you lied on your resumé. You implied you passed math in college, when in fact you failed. You have put me and the University in a bad spot.” He continued “I need you as a coach for this team, so I will tell you what I am going to do, I am going to ask you a math question, and I want you to concentrate, and try to give me the right answer. If you get it right, you and your coaches get to keep your jobs. Do you understand how important this is?”
    Mark Stoops nodded his head to the affirmative, saying nothing.
    Mitch began “Ok then, here goes” pausing to make sure Mark Stoops was ready, then he asked ” what does two plus to equal?”
    Mark stared at him with the deer in the headlight look, then closed his eyes, repeated the question, concentrated, used his fingers to count, and after several nervous minutes he replied weakly and unsure “4?”
    In excited relief, Barnhart yelled “Oh my….Did you say 4?
    Then the rest of the coaches yelled, c’mon Mitch, give him another chance!
    You have to admit this is funnier than what the media is saying about our team during the games.

• ...
      1:40 pm November 2, 2015 Permalink

That was the stupidest f****ing thing I’ve ever read…

• King of Comedy
      2:18 pm November 2, 2015 Permalink

Barely or by a lot?
      So when you say the stupidest F****ing thing you ever read, should I take that as a negative, because you read so much stupid F****ing things, or is this your first visit to the KSR comment section, and this was the first comment/post you have ever read? So I could sort of take it as a compliment?
      Either way, We can get things fixed, Not gonna flinch one second.
      Is that Stupid too? I need to know, please tell me.

30. Mike
    10:58 am November 2, 2015 Permalink

For those who don’t know, you CAN watch the game tonight on your TV if you have ROKU.

• BtownUKFan
      12:49 pm November 2, 2015 Permalink

Please explain

31. SMH
    11:01 am November 2, 2015 Permalink

If Cats make a bowl by going 6 – 6, that will mean they beat exactly one team with a better RPI than them. one.
    There are 253 NCAA football teams. UK is # 68 in the RPI
    106 La. — Lafayette
    88 S. Carolina
    62 Missouri
    129 (FCS) EKU
    98 Vandy
    144 Charlotte

Barnhart should insist they decline a bowl invitation with that resume.

• Mr Obvious
      11:11 am November 2, 2015 Permalink

yeah bc teams always decline a bowl invite when they feel they aren’t worthy. Has that ever happened? Genius idea. What are your thoughts if we make a bowl by being 7-5? I can’t wait to hear your opinion on this, you sound so intelligent.

• ClutchCargo
      11:16 am November 2, 2015 Permalink

^ No AD at a school like UK could possibly be stupid enough to turn down a bowl invite. I couldn’t care less about the quality of teams beaten at this point. Just need to keep winning and get to that bowl game, along with that extra few weeks of practice that goes along with it.

32. Josh
    11:07 am November 2, 2015 Permalink

Matt, any news on Fox? You seemed concerned on the podcast

33. Grammar Cop
    11:20 am November 2, 2015 Permalink

Three things Mark Stoops needs right now:

1. An offense
    2. a defense
    3. a list of pronouns. Use them, coach, they make you sound much more intelligent (“not very good right now”. “not happy with the effort”)

34. Is it Stoops or Stools?
    11:42 am November 2, 2015 Permalink

Towles is the only kid from Kentucky that is on the starting offense. Stoops ran off every other Kentucky kid that was on the team when he arrived. Drink the blue cool aid of Stoops that those who have little heart in winning have replaced the Kentucky kids that have bled blue their entire life.

Hopefully Stoops goes to Miami and takes his entire staff.

Tired of wait until next year. Next year is here!

• ukjaybrat
      11:49 am November 2, 2015 Permalink

because kentucky high school football talent hasn’t been as good as ohio or florida. we’re playing the best players we have available. if you want to win [eventually], then he has the right players starting. Luckily, for those of you that care more about having Kentucky fans starting instead of talent, we have a lot of great UK players being recruited now.

• Blue
      1:48 pm November 2, 2015 Permalink

Please don’t remind people that Towles is from KY.

35. Richard Head
    11:44 am November 2, 2015 Permalink

Ryan is a genius beside Shannon.

36. Linebeard
    11:57 am November 2, 2015 Permalink

Fake Lou Holtz needs to call the SEC network about the game tonight.

37. Tony Edelen
    1:24 pm November 2, 2015 Permalink

I think any rational UK fan knew that UT was going to kill us. UK still sucks and have not made any progress that I can see and have bed attitudes and work habits and even more pathetic coaches from top to bottom. With that said the UT thrashing will look much better in a couple years when they win the National Championship….Laugh all you want but remember this post in two years when Rocky Top is being played at the White house for president Trump!!

38. 'BoroCat
    6:15 pm November 2, 2015 Permalink

Is there a way for us to get a podcast of the radio show today? The section about tomorrow’s election and which candidate each of the guys are going to vote for is classic. We would really like to share it with students in a local leadership program. It is a perfect example of why people need to be more informed before they vote and not rely solely on the commercials for their information about candidates. We love Ryan, but come on man!