Reviewing last night’s win (Thursday Show Thread)

On this morning’s show, Matt Jones and Ryan Lemond will look back on last night’s 88-67 win over Eastern Kentucky. They will cover what’s going well and what’s going wrong as the team looks at a three-game stretch of Arizona State, Ohio State and Louisville.

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

WLSI (900am) Pikeville
WPRT (960am): Prestonsburg
WSFC (1240am): Somerset
WTCW (920am): Whitesburg
WHAY (98.3fm): Whitley City
WBTH (1400am): Williamson
PRTC TV Channels 209 & 409: Jackson & Owlsey Counties (Replayed at 1 and 6)

On Delay (ALL TIMES LISTED EASTERN)…

WVHI (1330am): Evansville, IN, 5-7pm
WMTL (870am): Leitchfield, 11am-1pm
WLBQ (1570am): Morgantown, 3-5pm
WRIL (106.3fm): Middlesboro, Thur 8-10pm
WWTF (1580am): Lexington, 4-6pm

Article written by Drew Franklin

36 Comments for Reviewing last night’s win (Thursday Show Thread)

1. UK_JB
    9:57 am December 10, 2015 Permalink

Decent game. Was close there for awhile.

Hopefully no technical issues today. But it is iHeartRadio Louisville.

So why didn’t ESPN not show up for the game? Next thing you know they will just do a green screen and pretend that they are there.

2. J-Dub421
    10:08 am December 10, 2015 Permalink

So, how did we look last night? (I missed the game because I was attending my office Christmas party.)

• ukjaybrat
      10:12 am December 10, 2015 Permalink

meh. good not great.

still poor shooting from outside.
      poythress was a beast

• J-Dub421
      10:26 am December 10, 2015 Permalink

Yay, I really like Alex! I sincerely wish Alex knew deep down how good he is. I know, why doesn’t he? I really think it’s mental and a confidence issue with Alex when he “disappears” in a game.

• ukjaybrat
      10:27 am December 10, 2015 Permalink

I agree. i think he is a special player that has been playing with superstars for 4 years. Couple that with his injury and he gets timid at times. He will have big games like last night. but he needs to learn to bring that talent out at will every night.

• RealCatsFan
      10:33 am December 10, 2015 Permalink

I honestly think Alex is still not all the way back physically compared to where he was pre-injury. It might not be a pain thing, but he seems to have lost some vertical jumping ability and overall explosiveness to me. Sometimes he will get a rebound and go back up, and he just doesn’t seem to get enough lift to go up strong and dunk it. I feel the same way now that I’m 50 and I try to go up and spike on the volleyball court. 🙂

• Realme
      10:34 am December 10, 2015 Permalink

If Alex learned to bring that talent out at will, he’d compete with Cousins and MKG to become my favorite player. The fact that he’s already matched (or beaten?) his career double double total before this season already is a hopeful sign.

• J-Dub421
      10:40 am December 10, 2015 Permalink

A definite possibility RCF. I still feel as athletic as I always have. The next day is when I really feel it. That could change in a few years when I hit 40 though.

3. ukjaybrat
    10:12 am December 10, 2015 Permalink

Is the pre-game show on the radio anywhere in Louisville?

I worked late last night and couldn’t find it. Had to stream iHeart on my phone.

4. bluegrassboy25
    10:16 am December 10, 2015 Permalink

I think Murray needs to trust his teammates.

5. Cat House
    10:21 am December 10, 2015 Permalink

I think my Colonels will have a pretty good year.

6. empiremaker
    10:27 am December 10, 2015 Permalink

No I disagree, Skal has to develop multiple skill set to make to the next level even at college. Just a jump shooting is not gonna cut it, Cal is on target with Skal.

7. J-Dub421
    10:28 am December 10, 2015 Permalink

Murray should drive more and be more aggressive. I saw him drive all over teams when he was playing for Canada over the summer. Where did that Jamal Murray go?

• Realme
      10:36 am December 10, 2015 Permalink

I’ve been wondering the same thing. Maybe he’s stuck in his own head because he’s not shooting so well, or maybe he’s just not sure how to play with these teammates yet.

• RealCatsFan
      10:36 am December 10, 2015 Permalink

Murray was playing more PG then. He seems less comfortable without the ball in his hands.

• J-Dub421
      10:43 am December 10, 2015 Permalink

Even when he’s got the ball, he’s not driving. I keep hoping it will click in his head when he’s sees Briscoe driving constantly. Especially since Murray is a better free-throw shooter. Murray was even finishing through contact while playing for Canada.

• Realme
      11:04 am December 10, 2015 Permalink

I also think he tends to hold back but turn it on at the end of games and for bigger, more exciting games. Of course I expected him to take over the UCLA game, and he didn’t so what do I know.

8. jjbalaan
    10:32 am December 10, 2015 Permalink

Hey Matt please tell us that you heard some guy named Danny that co-hosts Jerry Eaves show talk about the UK UL game yesterday… That guy is the reason UL fans are the most delusional group of people on the face of the planet.

• RealCatsFan
      10:35 am December 10, 2015 Permalink

I called that dude out on another KSR thread. Said that Louisville is going to beat down UK, which will lead to UK losing recruits from their incoming class (last I checked those guys had all signed), and ultimately lead to Cal leaving for the NBA. Even Jerry (a big UofL guy) had to call him out on it. Crown Royal must have been going down smooth that morning!

• ukjaybrat
      10:51 am December 10, 2015 Permalink

morons on the deener show this morning kept saying (albeit with caution) that UK looks beatable and UL is a lot better and kept insinuating that they have more than just “a chance” to beat us. the kool-aid is strong with them. Louisville’s only chance to beat UK is at home with a championship caliber team. they have neither of those things going for them. Cal has Rick’s number. simple as that.

• J-Dub421
      11:00 am December 10, 2015 Permalink

I might be a little worried if we were playing in the chicken bucket this year, but it’s at Rupp, so I’m not.

• RealCatsFan
      11:07 am December 10, 2015 Permalink

I would be lying if I said that I had no concerns about the Louisville game. They are much better than expected – looked pretty good against MSU on the road, so Rupp will not intimidate them. We need to play like we did against Duke, not like we did last night. Young teams like ours seem to play up or down to their competition, so hopefully they will be up for Louisville.

9. Kyle
    10:37 am December 10, 2015 Permalink

UNLV, Vanderbilt and Princeton have hit a 3-pointer in every game.

Vandy just never plays in March, so we passed them a year or two back.

• J-Dub421
      10:49 am December 10, 2015 Permalink

I always end up mentally kicking myself for picking Vandy to advance in the NCAA tournament in my brackets. They lure me by looking good during the season, but I know they flame out early in the tournament. One of these days I’ll learn the lesson and quit biting on the Vandy bait….

• RealCatsFan
      10:51 am December 10, 2015 Permalink

Vandy flamed out last night against Dayton. SEC teams always pizz me off by losing OOC games and then playing like the Lakers of old against us.

• ukjaybrat
      10:52 am December 10, 2015 Permalink

I stopped picking teams that skate by just because of athleticism. takes more than that to win in march.

10. Realme
    10:49 am December 10, 2015 Permalink

I’ve gotten to the point where I have to change stations when fans call in to other shows. They are either complaining about the players not being perfect this young and this early, or they are telling the coaches how to do their job. It’s UK basketball, one of the best things there is. Shut up and enjoy it.

• J-Dub421
      10:55 am December 10, 2015 Permalink

Our fan base has gotten excessively spoiled since Cal became our coach. I’m not going to panic if we aren’t in March/April form during early December. Some fans tend to forget the early season struggles of years past. We had early struggles and growing pains in 2012. It took Teague a while to learn to play the point for Cal, and remember when people complained because that team wasn’t “putting teams away”? We didn’t gel until the post season in 2014.

• RealCatsFan
      11:36 am December 10, 2015 Permalink

How many people had totally given up on that 2014 team? They very nearly brought us a national championship. Sounds like they rounded into form just fine.

• ukjaybrat
      12:06 pm December 10, 2015 Permalink

i am proud to say i was not one of the doubters… did i believe we would have made it to the championship game? well that didn’t really cross my mind, but i knew there was a really good chance to make a deep run once i saw them put us in the group of death

11. RealCatsFan
    10:50 am December 10, 2015 Permalink

My daughter had “The Voice” on the other night, and they had Dolly on there. All I can say is that they must be pumping the same elixir into her that they were using on Dick Clark. How old is she? Has to be about 70! Is she a vampire like Coach K, or just a magician for a cosmetic surgeon?

• J-Dub421
      10:59 am December 10, 2015 Permalink

I’ve been watching Jeopardy my whole life, and Alex Trebek has barely aged.

12. Realme
    10:55 am December 10, 2015 Permalink

3rd double double of the season, jackass.

13. secrick
    10:59 am December 10, 2015 Permalink

Eaves said the cards have no pressure to win and that might be true but Old Rick sure does . I beat the day of the game you couldn’t drive a nail up his butt with a hammer he is so nervous.

• J-Dub421
      11:04 am December 10, 2015 Permalink

I think they do have pressure because how often do they legitimately have a chance against us? When you only have a chance every few years, you put pressure on yourself to take it.

14. Corinth is a historic Civil War site. The Battle of Shiloh was not far from there, and I knew someone who lived right next door to a house that was used by generals as a headquarters.

I thought folks in KY went to Jellico, TN for that reason. Maybe that started later.