Report: UK has reached out to Memphis transfer Austin Nichols

Here’s an interesting recruiting nugget for your Tuesday night. According to Gary Parrish, Memphis forward Austin Nichols has been granted a full release and is allowed to transfer to the school of his choice. According to Parrish and Memphis beat writer John Martin, Kentucky has shown interest. Wherever he transfers, he’ll have to sit out the 2015-2016 season and have two years of eligibility remaining.

Right now, Virginia is considered the leader for the 6’8″ Nichols, who averagedĀ 13.3 points and 6.1 rebounds per gameĀ last season. Virginia, Tennessee, and Duke were on Nichols’ list when he committed to Memphis in high school.

Stay tuned…

[CBS Sports]

11 Comments for Report: UK has reached out to Memphis transfer Austin Nichols

1. Frank
    10:09 pm July 14, 2015 Permalink

Is this the forward Matt has been hinting about on the radio show?

• TDog
      10:26 pm July 14, 2015 Permalink

I don’t think so. He made it seem as if the player he was hinting at would join the team in the middle of this season. This kid would have to wait until next year.

2. ChicagoCal
    10:49 pm July 14, 2015 Permalink

Matt was talking about Tai Wynyard.

3. Nothing here
    11:26 pm July 14, 2015 Permalink

He is going to Virginia so really nothing to see here. AAU ties and a UVA alum with big money so all others are wasting time.

4. we don't want him
    12:44 am July 15, 2015 Permalink

As a Kentucky fan I hope he does go to Virginia

5. Kyle
    7:33 am July 15, 2015 Permalink

I don’t think Matt was talking about Tai Wynyard because he has mentioned him several times and he acts as if its someone not on our radar and plus he said “they might not be done in the front court” when talking about Cal saying he loves his front court. I thought about this Nichols kid when I first heard about his transfer but noe I’m thinking a Juco kid. Who knows? I wished he would play Marcus Lee more and forget about another big guy. Marcus could be a star plus add Skal to the fold on the frontcourt and there ya go.

6. Jordan
    9:04 am July 15, 2015 Permalink

My guess is Thon will be eligible at XMas. He played high school ball with Murray. He’s close with Lucas and played in the Hoop Summit with Skal. He would be perfect in the dribble drive. There really aren’t many good options in next years class at the forward position. If he and Tai both came at Xmas and stayed for next year, watch out. I might be way off here and reading into it, but I think it makes sense. Thon to UK.

7. Jim
    9:12 am July 15, 2015 Permalink

Cal struggles to get enough NBA ready players to win a championship.Four lottery players and still can’t win it all.

• J-Dub421
      10:34 am July 15, 2015 Permalink

Kind of like U of L’s football team. 10 drafts picks but won nothing.

8. Greg
    1:08 pm July 15, 2015 Permalink

He’s not going to Virginia or Tennessee as Memphis listed those as schools that he could not transfer to, according to Parrish on the CBS podcast.

9. MemphisCat
    2:10 pm July 15, 2015 Permalink

Memphis removed all restrictions yesterday after Nichols’ attorney called the program dysfunctional and failing. He is going to Virginia. The main reason Memphis put Virginia on the restrictions list is because they are convinced UVA boosters are tampering. The whole thing is a mess down here. I am not sure he would even be that great outside of the AAC, but he has some beast qualities. If he came to UK, watch the 11 o’clock news because Memphis will explode. Fans down here are STILL butt hurt over Cal leaving.