Reminder: Kentucky Beat Louisville (Monday Show Thread)

UK Athletics

UK Athletics

UK Athletics

In case you forgot: Kentucky beat Louisville to win the Governor’s Cup.  Matt will relive the fantastic upset victory with the KSR crew for the next two hours.  Surely something great will happen.  You don’t want to miss it.

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

affiliate-list

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

98 Comments for Reminder: Kentucky Beat Louisville (Monday Show Thread)

1. UK Big Board Update
    9:54 am November 28, 2016 Permalink

2016: THE YEAR OF THE TARD

— The basketball program was slammed by a scandal and consequently didn’t even get a chance at the postseason.

— Basketball team struggles with ODU and loses a 22 point lead to Baylor.

— The baseball team, favored to win it all, loses, at home, on a walk-off grand slam.

— The football team gets off to its best start ever, then completely craps the bed in its final two games.

• UK Big Board Update
      11:20 am November 28, 2016 Permalink

Stoops beat a top 15 team on the road.

Something Petrino hasn’t done in his entire career.

• UK Big Board Update
      11:20 am November 28, 2016 Permalink

UK’s win Saturday broke a 14-14 series tie with Louisville. Cards have never had an all-time winning record against UK in bball or football.

2. Realme
    10:03 am November 28, 2016 Permalink

Wasn’t that beautiful?

• RealCatsFan
      10:10 am November 28, 2016 Permalink

F’in A! I’m still on a high.

• J-Dub421
      10:11 am November 28, 2016 Permalink

I can’t stop smiling!

• RealCatsFan
      10:15 am November 28, 2016 Permalink

I had the biggest sh!t eating grin on my face when my UK-hating brother-in-law showed up for a late T-giving dinner at my wife’s parents yesterday. 😀 Her dad doesn’t have cable to watch the game, so I burned him a DVD of it. I just HAD to put it on, just to make sure it would play properly. 🙂

3. APB for cats paw!!! APB for cats paw!!! APB for cats paw!!! LOL!!!

• RealCatsFan
      10:09 am November 28, 2016 Permalink

Scorpiocard has been in absentia as well. I have it on good authority that he said that he would have to come on KSR and “take his lumps” after UK kicked the game winning FG. Scorp, we are waiting! Where are you, man?

• Actually, I think I did see his mea culpa yesterday, but if so I don’t remember which thread.

• Booby Petrino
      10:57 am November 28, 2016 Permalink

I’ll admit it… I wanted to see the Card nation meltdown so I went to card chronicle. I would not stoop so low as to create an account and laugh at them, but I read a lot of comments. Ol scorpiocard was on there fighting with his own people. Apparently they hate him too, some were saying he’s an a$shole. He was taking up for Petrino when others wanted him fired. He made a comment about he used to smoke pot with UK basketball players back in 1978. So basically scorpiocard is a 60 yr old who has nothing better to do than troll UK fans.

• UK Big Board Update
      11:07 am November 28, 2016 Permalink

STILL no cats paw!!! LMFAO!!

• UK Big Board Update
      12:08 pm November 28, 2016 Permalink

You KNOW he’s reading this!! 😀 😀 😀

4. RealCatsFan
    10:05 am November 28, 2016 Permalink

I’ll start with this – I posted a similar reply on another article thread.

I am a little ashamed to say that I was one of the fans who was seriously questioning if Stoops was the right guy to get the job done. I had just about thrown in the towel after the Florida loss. Then, after Johnson came in as QB in the NMS game, and we showed an immediate offensive spark, my interest level started to come back. As the Cats gradually took baby steps in the direction of improvement, I found myself hoping that we were on to something. Still, I had my doubts. My wife even told my I am a “bad fan”, because I was putting so little faith that the Cats could beat Louisville yesterday that I kept working on tearing out our bathroom floor while she had the game on in the other room with my kids. As I heard them cheering loudly over and over, I got drawn into watching parts of the game. Needless to say, that project had no chance of being completed yesterday! 😀 Even as I sat and watched that last kickoff after we took the lead with 12 seconds left, I was still waiting for Lucy to once again pull out the football, with visions of Louisville running back the kickoff for a TD dancing in my head. I guess you could call it PKFTLD (Post Kentucky Football Traumatic Loss Disorder). Perhaps Stoops & Co have finally found a cure. I sure hope so — GO CATS!

• J-Dub421
      10:09 am November 28, 2016 Permalink

I knew Austin would hit the field goal because that kid has ice water in his veins and has hit a few game winners from farther away than that. I was nervous during those last 12 seconds though because you just never know with Lamar Jackson….

• runningunnin.454
      10:12 am November 28, 2016 Permalink

Austin was cool, calm, collected.
      I liked the way he was celebrating even before the officials gave the signal; he knew it was there.
      And, the announcer said, “he did it again”.

• Yep, and I’m especially proud since he played high school just outside of where I live!

• Oh, and Jack Pilgrim nicknamed him Money MacKickins when he did it against Miss State. I love it!

• Mathlete
      10:17 am November 28, 2016 Permalink

I quit on the team after Florida too, it looked like they had quit on the season already. Something happened behind the scenes in week 3-4 that lit a fire under them and sparked belief. I don’t know whether it was Johnson taking over as QB1, or Stoops taking over the defense, or Boom having to earn his reps back from Benny and Jojo, but whatever it was I’m glad it happened.

• ukjaybrat
      10:25 am November 28, 2016 Permalink

for me i think we’d have to define “quitting on the team”

I lost some of the high i had at the beginning of the season after the florida game, but i never gave up hope for a bowl game and i never once thought that we would actually get blown out at louisville. i honestly never *KNEW* we would win, but always thought there was a chance because as i’ve said on here many times this year, i never thought louisville was *THAT* good. They only beat 1 ranked team. and jackson’s heismann numbers were generated bc bobby left him in all 60 minutes to rack up garbage yards and touchdowns against bad teams. yes he’s a great player but whenever they played any team with any defense at all, their offense played like crap.

5. J-Dub421
    10:05 am November 28, 2016 Permalink

I didn’t think going into the game that we could pull off a win on the road at Papa John’s. I was nervous after Louisville scored quickly to open the game. But, after Stephen Johnson calmly waltzed out onto the field and threw that touchdown bomb to answer, I thought, “Well holy crap! We have ourselves a game here!” The look of incredulity on the face of Todd Grantham after SJ and juice torched their defense on that play was priceless.

We went toe to toe with Louisville and simply took it from them. Our players out played theirs and our coaches out coached theirs. Great game!

6. runningunnin.454
    10:05 am November 28, 2016 Permalink

Somewhat distressed to see an article discussing the QB dilemma.
    There is no QB dilemma.
    Stephen Johnson is our QB. Today, tomorrow, and next year.
    Period. Case closed, court adjourned, fagidda bowdit.

• I agree. There should have been NO posts about that until we’ve fully savored this win for, I don’t know, a week or so. Oh well, I guess they needed some copy to post.

• J-Dub421
      10:10 am November 28, 2016 Permalink

Agreed, and Stoops is our coach. He’s the right guy for the job. Stoops/Johnson 2016! A combo we can all get behind!

• ukjaybrat
      10:15 am November 28, 2016 Permalink

i agree to an extent. there has always been an unwritten rule that you shouldn’t lose your starting position because of an injury. that has mostly been the case in the NFL where players stay with teams for more than 3-4 years. in any case, we see the same thing with dallas. that kid is AWESOME and he is not nor should he lose his starting spot to tony Romo who has been good but NEVER amounted to much.
      Johnson isn’t dak prescott, but he’s proven that he has earned to be the started next year no matter what. give him the first string snaps in spring and he will improve that short game that was lacking this year (mostly because that requires timing he didn’t develop this year.

• J-Dub421
      10:19 am November 28, 2016 Permalink

Barker will be out injured for some time, which means Johnson will be the one getting the extra month of practice going into our bowl game. This is now Johnson’s team. End of discussion.

• My problem was not the discussion about the QB dilemma itself. My problem was writing a post about it when “the confetti was still falling” so to speak.

UKJAY, one big difference between UK and the Cowboys is that Romo is older and is clearly on the down side of his career. The Cowboys can build for the future and possibly have “The Dak attack!” for a long time. Obviously UK only has guys for 4 years tops if they don’t redshirt. Stoops will only be thinking about who is best for 2017 (although you have to wonder about Drew’s psyche if he loses out).

Enough, I wasn’t even going to mention this today. Darn me!!! 🙂

• whatwasthat
      11:08 am November 28, 2016 Permalink

Rg454, Johnson had the most complete game at QB since Towles at Missouri but it was Towles only complete game and so far Johnson has had only the one. Everyone knew Johnson’s shortcomings going into game, are they suddenly solved.
      I will be surprised in Barker can come back, that’s a tough injury to have, I think he has had problems with his back for a long time. He looked so stiff and robotic last year in the games he played in, never been that high on the kid because of his actions, but hope he does heal properly.
      So glad the coaching staff was able to keep redshirt on Hoak ( a future star ). Unlike ole miss pulling the freshman’s red shirt to try to make a bowl, how did that work out.
      UK has another Ohio QB coming in next year, so the future looks bright at QB position. Johnson has extra practice time to work on short and over the middle passing game ( think we all agree he has long game worked out ).

• runningunnin.454
      1:48 pm November 28, 2016 Permalink

What was that?
      Remember, mid season, when you said you were through; and I told you to stick around…this team can win some games?
      You’re welcome.

• whatwasthat
      2:26 pm November 28, 2016 Permalink

Rg454, I think most fans including myself were extremely disappointed after the first two games. I have been a stoops fan, but have was really on the fence as to whether he could be a head coach at this level and after so Miss and Florida, I just didn’t see him getting it done, but he demoted Elliot and let Gran work and slowly made progress on both sides of the ball. I have never been a fan of firing coaches just for the sake of a coaching change ( the verbal arguments I had with my nephew over Brooks come to mind, as we walked out of stadium after losing to Ohio, he just didn’t get it that we didn’t have any talent at that time ). The CATS beat Loserville and at the end of the day, that’s all that matters. I think all the football fans have a glimmer of hope now that they have turned the corner, the young talent we have now is amazing and we can only hope they continue to get better. GO CATS!

• runningunnin.454
      2:42 pm November 28, 2016 Permalink

Go Cats!

7. runningunnin.454
    10:09 am November 28, 2016 Permalink

Saw a couple of comments about Stephen Johnson’s odd smile before the first drive.
    I saw that, too, when I watched the game later that night.
    Talk about your cryptic “Mona Lisa” smile.

• RealCatsFan
      10:11 am November 28, 2016 Permalink

I think that’s what you call a confident smile.

8. RealCatsFan
    10:13 am November 28, 2016 Permalink

The ONLY way that this win could have been sweeter would have been to be the team that knocked them out of playoff contention. But hey, we may very well have knocked them out of the Rose Bowl.

• ukjaybrat
      10:16 am November 28, 2016 Permalink

* Orange Bowl – ACC doesn’t have a tie in to the Rose Bowl

9. ukkatzfan
    10:16 am November 28, 2016 Permalink

I do not like Petrino. Only coach worst than Petrino is Pitino. But Petrino showed some class during his post game interview toward UK and supporting Lamar Jackson.

• RealCatsFan
      10:20 am November 28, 2016 Permalink

Class? Are you kidding? He skipped out of the interview after two questions!

• J-Dub421
      10:21 am November 28, 2016 Permalink

It was pretty fun watching Petrino scream, get red-faced, and lose his mind on the sideline late in the game though.

• ukkatzfan
      11:27 am November 28, 2016 Permalink

Most class I ever seen from him. He (at least) acted like he skipped out on interview taking up for his QB.

10. RealCatsFan
    10:17 am November 28, 2016 Permalink

My daughters are going to have a fun day talking some smack at school today!

11. secrick
    10:18 am November 28, 2016 Permalink

I loved this game, what a win. I believe Ky has the better football team if the Cards didn’t have Jackson and the future looks so good for Ky right now in Football.

• RealCatsFan
      10:32 am November 28, 2016 Permalink

I think we proved that UK has the better football team even when the Cards DO have Jackson.

12. RealCatsFan
    10:19 am November 28, 2016 Permalink

UK just had too much Johnson for UofL to handle. 😀

• ClutchCargo
      10:34 am November 28, 2016 Permalink

Not buying it. U of L has some independent contractors they can call in to handle any Johnson. Oh, you’re talking about football? :blush:

13. bigaa69
    10:19 am November 28, 2016 Permalink

I saw the same thing when Johnson walked up to the line on the first offensive play!!!

14. kjacks27
    10:20 am November 28, 2016 Permalink

I have been recovering from back surgery for a week and I haven’t taken pain meds since Saturday because I’m on a BIG BLUE HIGH!!!!!

15. secrick
    10:24 am November 28, 2016 Permalink

Been on Baker all year but what a darn catch he made. It was a great throw but a better catch.

16. J-Dub421
    10:25 am November 28, 2016 Permalink

Think Captain Suntan has even gotten out of bed for the last couple of days?

17. And if I may, it was a GREAT sports weekend for me:

1) UK bball wins Friday night!
    2) My high school football team advances to the Georgia semifinals (streamed audio on my phone while watching the bball game)!
    3) UK > UL in football!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    4) The Bengals…oh, never mind. 🙂

18. RealCatsFan
    10:25 am November 28, 2016 Permalink

Matt, when and where is this party?

• J-Dub421
      10:29 am November 28, 2016 Permalink

I don’t know, but we should all go!

• ukjaybrat
      10:31 am November 28, 2016 Permalink

i would love to go but unfortunately i have to go to lexington this weekend for a birthday party. so unless it’s during the week, i might be out of luck

19. secrick
    10:29 am November 28, 2016 Permalink

Can’t listen to the radio so if i post something off subject that’s the reason but i am still so fired up.

20. runningunnin.454
    10:33 am November 28, 2016 Permalink

I was at work during the game…I taped it. But, no radio, all the streaming sites blocked. Shout out to all the folks on the “live blog”.
    Thanks, guys, for being my eyes.

21. Realme
    10:39 am November 28, 2016 Permalink

I’m also guilty of not having a lot of faith in Stoops or the team early in the season, but the way it played out was amazing. Wins you’re not supposed to get are so much sweeter, I couldn’t be happier. After watching Stoops interact with the players after Mississippi State on SEC Inside, I will never say a bad word about him again. Every time he said something this season that sounded like an infuriating cliche, he meant it, and turned out to be right. Right now the future couldn’t be much brighter.

22. RealCatsFan
    10:40 am November 28, 2016 Permalink

I agree with Matt – the fact that UofL sold their soul and hired that azzhole, cheating, adulterous scumbag back as their coach makes this win SO. MUCH. SWEETER.

And now the delusional UofL fan base things they are going to bring Charlie Strong back to replace Grantham as DC!

• Don’t laugh too hard. It Bobby bolts for another job again you know Turtleneck will go after Strong again.

• J-Dub421
      10:45 am November 28, 2016 Permalink

I can handle Strong being their coach. He isn’t a terrible person.

• ukjaybrat
      10:47 am November 28, 2016 Permalink

charlie string will be a HC somewhere, he’s good enough that he can coach somewhere, just not enough patience at texas

• Houston? 🙂

• ukjaybrat
      10:56 am November 28, 2016 Permalink

houston actually sounds like a possible destination for him. and then they would just be switching coaches with texas lol.

• J-Dub421
      10:59 am November 28, 2016 Permalink

Where do you think Les Miles will end up?

• ukjaybrat
      11:09 am November 28, 2016 Permalink

i honestly have no idea. i haven’t really looked at everything. by first guess would be chip kely gets fired and he ends up at notre dame. but i don’t think les miles would love it at notre dame because he’s an old michigan man and they hate notre dame. but money is money and i don’t think there is another big program available.

So that’s my initial guess, but like i said, i haven’t really looked at what job openings there are.

• ukjaybrat
      11:09 am November 28, 2016 Permalink

brian* kelly

• Houston might be a fit for him if he updates his offense. If not, it might be Sun Belt or something similar.

• ukjaybrat
      11:15 am November 28, 2016 Permalink

i read purdue could be a landing spot also. it kind of shocks me that he would accept coaching at a school where he won’t have much chance to make s difference. purdue aint winning the big ten as long as harbaugh and meyer are there.

• ukjaybrat
      11:21 am November 28, 2016 Permalink

there are some UT fans that want to fire butch and get les (on the condition he gets a OC that knows what he;’s doing). i could see that happening as well.

23. A friend of mine came up with a pretty good pun. We’re in line for a better bowl now, but he came up with:
    #GiveMeLibertyBowlOrGiveMeDeath

Hah!

24. secrick
    10:48 am November 28, 2016 Permalink

Do they cheat so good at Lville that these coaches win and when they go to another school they all seem to fizzle out?

25. I know everyone has their favorite player, and right now most would probably say Johnson, Boom, or Benny. However, mine is Jo…Jo…KEMP!!! Here’s why:

1) Always smiling (and Always Reppin’ I guess!).
    2) The way he always likes to talk about how he came to UK to change the game.
    3) Obviously the SC game a couple years ago.
    4) Then, he was the odd man out when Benny emerged. However, he NEVER stopped smiling, and whenever Gran gave him the ball, like Saturday, he just…kept…BALLING!!!

Love you JoJo!

• secrick
      10:52 am November 28, 2016 Permalink

I agree with you, never fumbles is one reason he played so much in the Lville game and the other is because he is dam good.

• Realme
      10:53 am November 28, 2016 Permalink

He came to change the game, and he did. My favorite too, has been since he heroically beat South Carolina by himself a few years ago. Benny is lined up to take over next season.

• J-Dub421
      10:54 am November 28, 2016 Permalink

I adore Jojo. He’s also played the last several games with a broken hand. Never fumbled once, even with a broken hand.

• Yeah, I keep forgetting about the broken hand. I should have added your comment to the list J-Dub.

• J-Dub421
      10:57 am November 28, 2016 Permalink

Also, much love to Jon Toth. He played literally every snap on offense this season. He never gives up sacks, and he’s a huge reason our offensive line was so good this year.

• Agree about Toth too. The O-linemen never get the ink that other guys get.

BTW, I obviously didn’t like seeing this, but what about the UL guy who blew up the one play and flattened JoJo. That was an awesome play by that guy, but JoJo never had a chance so it wasn’t his fault. I never did know who missed their block or got pancaked on our O-line.

Anyway, JoJo came back a couple plays later and ripped a 15 yard run or so to get us out of the shadow of the goal post.

• RealCatsFan
      12:13 pm November 28, 2016 Permalink

That was dangerously close to being a safety. Worse yet, if he had been an instant earlier he could have forced a fumble in the end zone. For once, UK had Lady Luck on their side, several times.

26. runningunnin.454
    10:51 am November 28, 2016 Permalink

Got to go to work, gang. Got my blue sweater vest with the big “K”.
    Not many UL fans on this end of the state, but, plenty of IU fans.
    Oh, you beat Purdue? We beat #11 Louisville and the leading Heisman candidate.

• RealCatsFan
      11:23 am November 28, 2016 Permalink

I listen to KSR via iHeart on my bluetooth earbuds at work.

27. J-Dub421
    10:51 am November 28, 2016 Permalink

Some of my acquaintance friends on facebook who are Louisville fans were all losing their minds the entire game. Matt is right about their fans being super arrogant. They literally thought U of L just had to show up and be present in order to crush us. I got annoyed with Louisville fans saying things along the lines of “How can WE be losing to this Sh*t Kentucky team?!?!” It was obnoxious. UK is no longer a crappy team, and if their fans thought we were, then they haven’t been paying attention this year.

28. RealCatsFan
    11:22 am November 28, 2016 Permalink

I think Matt needs to have a band at his party, and they need to call themselves “Lamar and a Bunch of Dudes”. 😀

29. RealCatsFan
    11:26 am November 28, 2016 Permalink

I saw a comment where someone said that Matt Elam nearly sacked Lamar Jackson on that last scramble play of the game. Did anyone else see that? That would have been epic!

• RealCatsFan
      11:32 am November 28, 2016 Permalink

Never mind – just brought up the replay, and Elam wasn’t even in the game at that point. Doh!

• Realme
      1:55 pm November 28, 2016 Permalink

Just re-listened to the post game show. Matt said it.

30. RealCatsFan
    11:37 am November 28, 2016 Permalink

I will be there at the UCLA game. I hope they bring Austin or Stephen out to do the Y.

31. RealCatsFan
    11:43 am November 28, 2016 Permalink

On a basketball note, I am glad to hear that Briscoe is going to be OK with his “butt bruise”. When they were talking about doing an MRI, I started to get worried. Also glad to hear that Willis is practicing again. There will be a game at some point this season when we need him.

• ukjaybrat
      11:49 am November 28, 2016 Permalink

ditto. MRI had me pretty worried just like when poythress got hurt. different injuries i know but uk has had TERRIBLE luck historically with injuries to key players on teams where we could contend for a championship and then fall short. several in recent memory

• J-Dub421
      11:53 am November 28, 2016 Permalink

I am glad Briscoe is okay, but find it amusing that he is literally butt-hurt. 🙂

32. RealCatsFan
    11:52 am November 28, 2016 Permalink

Chester is the incarnate definition of the term “passionate fan”.

33. [email protected]
    1:32 pm November 28, 2016 Permalink

Sorry to be a pest but where’s the podcast for today?

34. WildcatMarkC
    1:42 pm November 28, 2016 Permalink

I was wondering this myself. Its usually 1230 at the very latest.