John Calipari won his eighth game over Rick Pitino and Louisville on Saturday and it got even better with Pitino’s postgame antics.

Matt Jones and Ryan Lemond are ready to have fun with Cal’s success and Rick’s meltdown.

Tune in.

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

WLSI (900am) Pikeville
WPRT (960am): Prestonsburg
WSFC (1240am): Somerset
WTCW (920am): Whitesburg
WHAY (98.3fm): Whitley City
WBTH (1400am): Williamson
PRTC TV Channels 209 & 409: Jackson & Owlsey Counties (Replayed at 1 and 6)

On Delay (ALL TIMES LISTED EASTERN)…

WVHI (1330am): Evansville, IN, 5-7pm
WMTL (870am): Leitchfield, 11am-1pm
WLBQ (1570am): Morgantown, 3-5pm
WRIL (106.3fm): Middlesboro, Thur 8-10pm
WWTF (1580am): Lexington, 4-6pm

Article written by Drew Franklin

64 Comments for Remember that time UK beat UofL and Rick Pitino gave the finger? (Monday Show Thread)

1. UK_JB
    9:55 am December 28, 2015 Permalink

Great game, I’ll take the W! Should be some great calls and stories. So Rick flips the bird to us, and avoids the post game conference because of Uncle Matt? Really?

I thought everyone was kidding about that guy shooting granny shots. He really shoots that way!

2. Cat House
    10:01 am December 28, 2015 Permalink

This is simply the most fun I have had in a very long time. We’re number 1.

3. Neal Orac
    10:05 am December 28, 2015 Permalink

• Big Kat
      10:16 am December 28, 2015 Permalink

Wow! That angle is pretty conclusive.

• ukjaybrat
      10:17 am December 28, 2015 Permalink

it’s ridiculous how many Louisville fans were jumping to defend him saying that the fan probably deserved it… what !?!?

I’m sure there are a lot of people that “deserve” to be flipped off, but in Rick’s position, he can’t do that. i wonder if the ncaa will have anything to say about it

4. Kytenorman
    10:07 am December 28, 2015 Permalink

Many years ago, I was a huge Pitino fan. So much that my dear wife stood in line for over 2 hours for him to autograph one of his books for me. Then he quit UK to go to the NBA, after he denied interest to all UK fans. Then he is fired from Boston and takes the job at UofL. I still liked him and thought it was nice that he wanted to come back to Kentucky. Telling everyone that the biggest regret in his life was leaving UK! Then he started saying, the UlfL was the best job, and that he never said he regretted leaving Camelot! The lies just kept coming. His true Character exposed, sex scandal, cover-up, and in now we graduated to just low class. GIve UK Fans, the finger, refusing to do his postgame show, allowing his players to appear as the thugs we know them to be, wearing hoodies during pre-game introductions and not shaking the hands of their opponents. His behavior fuels the fire of fire of all the UofL scandals, strippers, thugs, rules and common sportsmanship does not apply to UofL or RIck Pitino!

He wouldn’t do his interviews because his is above them, he doesn’t want anyone to ask him about his conduct on the court or OFF.

UofL fans get what they deserve now! Tom Jurich is a joke, I’ll take Mitch over him any day!

I am proud to be a WIldcat Fan and I apologize to my wife for all the time she wasted for me, many years ago!

I hope the banner comes down and Pitino is banned for life from the NCAA!

He is a national disgrace!

5. BigBlueSkyDog
    10:12 am December 28, 2015 Permalink

Take Pitino’s banner down. He has been a disgrace ever since leaving UK.

6. BigBlueSkyDog
    10:13 am December 28, 2015 Permalink

It’s not down. I’m listening right now on WLAP

7. quickneasycat
    10:15 am December 28, 2015 Permalink

There is another video of Rick and there is certainty of him giving the finger

8. ukjaybrat
    10:16 am December 28, 2015 Permalink

you know, we are piling on rick pretty hard this week…

Is there a chance that Rick isn’t just a spy we sent there to tear that organization apart from the inside… i mean he can’t beat us no matter what he tries (or is he TRYING to lose ? ) i mean hell, their national title team barely beat our NIT team AT HOME…

i think he is secretly still working for mitch to keep UK on top and ruin Louisville…

(no i don’t really think this, but it’d be a great story if it were true)

9. LansingCat
    10:17 am December 28, 2015 Permalink

I was in awe of how easily the Cats handled Louisville for the first 30 minutes.

• ukjaybrat
      10:18 am December 28, 2015 Permalink

i was in awes of the disastrous letdown in the last 10… i can’t handle close games like that against the cards

10. @BallBlog_Chad
    10:18 am December 28, 2015 Permalink

what if Lee had hit that 3? he walked and there was no call – https://vine.co/v/iAxYvuWBv1J

11. BigBlueSkyDog
    10:18 am December 28, 2015 Permalink

If Murray plays under control, we win by 12+ points. We had a good recipe for beating their zone in beginning of 2nd half and got away from it when Murray decided he had to win the game all by himself.

• J-Dub421
      10:38 am December 28, 2015 Permalink

He’s a freshman, gotta take the bad with the good. He’ll figure it out eventually.

12. Mathlete
    10:21 am December 28, 2015 Permalink

At what point does Pitino start begging to end the rivalry and stop scheduling UK annually? He’s gotta be tired of losing to us.

13. Long Dong Silver
    10:22 am December 28, 2015 Permalink

Um, Sosa game was Gillispie.

14. Realme
    10:22 am December 28, 2015 Permalink

So relieved that we won that game, all is right with the world. I was done with Pitino a few years ago, because of the way he trolls our fan base, but at this point I am starting to also be embarrassed that he used to be our beloved coach.

• J-Dub421
      10:41 am December 28, 2015 Permalink

Agreed. Pitino is an embarrassment now. I kind of want to disassociate with him entirely. Pitino went over to the dark side.

• Realme
      10:46 am December 28, 2015 Permalink

I sincerely don’t understand why Louisville fans aren’t embarrassed by him.

• J-Dub421
      10:51 am December 28, 2015 Permalink

For the same reason that they weren’t embarrassed to take Petrino back, and aren’t coming down on Jurich or Ramsay for all the recent scandals. They’ve decided to try to win at all costs and sold their souls for it. U of L only cares about winning and gave up all semblance of integrity.

• ukjaybrat
      10:51 am December 28, 2015 Permalink

Realm, other than against us, he is a winner. And Louisville fans want to win at all cost. They ignore every shred of off-court and off-field garbage because winning is worth it to them

• Realme
      10:57 am December 28, 2015 Permalink

I expect that out of the stereotypical Card fan that we all laugh at, but I know they have normal humans in their fan base and even they just continue to excuse everything he does.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:00 am December 28, 2015 Permalink

If garbage were a person, it would be Rick Pitino.

15. theSpectre_
    10:25 am December 28, 2015 Permalink

Cal didn’t say anything when Sosa hit the half court shot to beat UK because he was the coach at Memphis then; Gillispie was the UK coach.

16. Ludwig
    10:27 am December 28, 2015 Permalink

Can’t wait for the Courier Journal’s picture of Pitino’s head on a baby’s body…

• BigBlueSkyDog
      10:30 am December 28, 2015 Permalink

LOL, don’t hold your breath.

17. BigBlueSkyDog
    10:29 am December 28, 2015 Permalink

Yeah, didn’t Pitino say that neither he nor UL fans cared about the game? Maybe the biggest lie he told yet.

• ukjaybrat
      10:41 am December 28, 2015 Permalink

“It’s just another game” … Ha-ha ok

18. BigBlueSkyDog
    10:41 am December 28, 2015 Permalink

The Ryan Harrow game was at Yum, Matt.

• J-Dub421
      10:43 am December 28, 2015 Permalink

This is KSR. Facts are optional. 🙂

19. J-Dub421
    10:44 am December 28, 2015 Permalink

Dominique Hawkins balled out. And it was AWESOME!!

• Realme
      10:47 am December 28, 2015 Permalink

That was so beautiful. Extremely happy for him.

• BigBlueSkyDog
      10:50 am December 28, 2015 Permalink

His defense was outstanding. He put the same D on Russ Smith in 2014 NCAA Sweet 16. People forget that.

• J-Dub421
      10:54 am December 28, 2015 Permalink

We would not have made the finals in 2014 without Hawkins. He shut down Michigan’s top scorer in the second half of the Elite Eight game. (The dude’s name slipped my mind, sorry.) Hawkins is a stellar defender. I was very happy to see him take shots on Saturday. That three late was a dagger.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:17 am December 28, 2015 Permalink

Hawkins came up big for us. Hometown boy. Nice to see him play well this game.

• J-Dub421
      11:24 am December 28, 2015 Permalink

Nik Stauskas, that’s who I was trying to think of. Hawkins shut him down in the second half on the Elite Eight.

20. secrick
    10:48 am December 28, 2015 Permalink

It was a good win for the cats, Hawkins played great even though i could have kicked his butt for not taking that shot at the end of the game.

21. Laker Cat 18
    10:52 am December 28, 2015 Permalink

Shoutout to Cal for benching Skal. Knew we would come out of the gate better at that point. I give Murray a lot of credit, but he almost lost us the game on numerous occasions. He looked completely lost for most of the game. How about Hawkins? Player of the game by far. Exceeded expectations and stepped up big for us.

• J-Dub421
      10:58 am December 28, 2015 Permalink

Skal had 3 rebounds, a steal, and hit his free throws. I know it’s not what everyone wants from him, but I do think he’s working hard and I can see a little progress. I think he will continue to improve. We’re only 12 games into the season. It will all work out.

• Realme
      10:59 am December 28, 2015 Permalink

I feel bad for him, but hopefully being out of the starting lineup will take off some of the pressure for Skal. Have to admit feeling relieved when I saw he wasn’t starting such an important game.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:03 am December 28, 2015 Permalink

I was thinking that same thing about taking pressure off of him by not starting. He had a huge bulls-eye on him coming into games for opponents. I saw it the most against Ohio State. You could tell that their bigs had watched film on him and had a plan to attack him mentally and physically going into it. Hopefully he will continue to improve and stick around a couple more years to build some strength.

• BigBlueSkyDog
      11:05 am December 28, 2015 Permalink

Skal will have to be brought along more gradually than we have grown accustomed to for our top freshmen. I hope he gets to make a play in Rupp that brings everyone to their feet so he can feel the appreciation. His biggest problem right now is confidence.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:10 am December 28, 2015 Permalink

Had he hit that dunk Saturday, that could have been a turning moment for him confidence-wise. I wanted that for him.

22. quickneasycat
    11:00 am December 28, 2015 Permalink

Is the reason Pitinomdidnt do a post game after Michigan St. was because of the Kentucky media?

23. Cat Fan
    11:04 am December 28, 2015 Permalink

Like a clarification…Wasn’t it stated that …in a text to Dana O’Neil Rick said he didn’t flip anyone off…Is he in the habit of always texting Dana after a game, especially after being so emotional? More like lets deny before accused. timing is everything I guess..

24. ClutchCargo
    11:08 am December 28, 2015 Permalink

Yes, Pitino was a sore loser at UK. He definitely got tossed intentionally against Ga. Tech. Can’t remember what year that was.

• RealCatsFan
      11:30 am December 28, 2015 Permalink

I was watching the replay or the Mardi Gras Miracle yesterday, and Pitino left the bench and went back to the locker room before the first half had ended. Wonder if he would have stuck around if they had continued to blow us out?

25. Realme
    11:13 am December 28, 2015 Permalink

Reese has a point, but life isn’t fair. My only memory of his play is him panicking when he was about to be sacked and throwing the ball straight up in the air. Don’t know if he could have beaten Drew, but there certainly could have been playing time for him as the backup that he could have made the most of.

26. Laker Cat 18
    11:14 am December 28, 2015 Permalink

I’ve thought this for a long time. Drew Barker hasn’t shown me anything on or off the field that clearly designates him a starter over Reese Phillips. I personally believe Phillips is a better option at QB.

• Realme
      11:18 am December 28, 2015 Permalink

Welp. Not any more. Hope Stoops has what it takes to turn around a situation that sounds really bad right now.

27. Laker Cat 18
    11:16 am December 28, 2015 Permalink

Coach Gran barely snagged 7 points against San Diego State. That’s more of a worry for me than anything else. Surely we can do better.

28. BigBlueSkyDog
    11:20 am December 28, 2015 Permalink

Hey Matt, What did Cal say/do to get that T in the 1st half?

29. RealCatsFan
    11:28 am December 28, 2015 Permalink

HaHa, the thought of Jurich the patron saint of whoremongers suspending Pitino for flipping the bird is along the lines of Donald Trump being humble. Ain’t gonna happen!

• BigBlueSkyDog
      11:32 am December 28, 2015 Permalink

Or Hil-liar-y Clinton telling the truth.

• RealCatsFan
      11:49 am December 28, 2015 Permalink

Yep, you got that one right too!

30. UKJAYBRAT and JDUB, check out the link below. Somehow my Gravatar shows on old comments but not on recent ones. It looks like your help worked but then I still messed it up somehow. Leave it to me! LOL!

CATS!!!

• ukjaybrat
      11:41 am December 28, 2015 Permalink

that is weird

• J-Dub421
      12:10 pm December 28, 2015 Permalink

That is very odd…

31. secrick
    11:40 am December 28, 2015 Permalink

Did Max Smith play in the game against Cinn. ?

32. Realme
    11:42 am December 28, 2015 Permalink

Do you think Skal still has that horrible guardian that wants to profit off of him in his ear?

• J-Dub421
      12:11 pm December 28, 2015 Permalink

I hope not.

33. Cat House
    11:43 am December 28, 2015 Permalink

I had a co-worker who was a UK football player during the Morris to Brooks switch. He was totally loyal to Morris and did not like anything about the switch. These things cause big splits in teams. I believe the problem with UK is a split between Joker players and Stoops players. Hope the remainders can patch it up.

• RealCatsFan
      11:50 am December 28, 2015 Permalink

There should be very few remaining Joker players left.