Red Lightning’s Wednesday News and Views

Florida State won the BCS National Championship, yeah, yeah, yeah. Jameis Winston, sure, whatever. Heisman and national champion? Cool story bro. But Red Lightning? Red Lightning’s my guy. Red Lightning is the real story. He’s the real winner.

If you don’t already know Red Lightning, you probably saw him in the title game last night without realizing you saw him.

He was the guy running behind Jameis Winston:

He was the guy helping Jameis Winston up:

He was the guy who was really frustrated early in the game:

He’s Frankie Grizzle-Malgrat and he is Florida State football’s equipment manager during the week and ballboy on gamedays. He’s also the guy who owned Twitter and the internet during one of the best games in BCS history.

So move over, Katherine Webb. It’s the chubby redhead’s spotlight now.

Let’s do this News and Views thing real quick then go back to wishing we were Red Lightning.

The Cats return to Rupp Arena tomorrow night.

With only two games over the last 19 days to three games in the next seven, Kentucky basketball is back and ready to open conference play. Calipari warned us on Tuesday the Cats may be a little rusty after the long break, but he’s excited to see the steps they made during that time, beginning with Wednesday night’s game against Mississippi State.

Andrew and Aaron Harrison said the team really came together by spending every waking moment with each other over the break, and that helped them improve offensively and defensively. Aaron said the cohesion helped the most on the defensive end because that’s where they really need to talk to each other and play as a team.

Andrew sees a stronger bond with his teammates off the court. “We all liked each other before, but now I think we’re all closer. We all talk and laugh like we didn’t do before. I think that’s very helpful,” he said.

Calipari has seen it with all of his teams and this group is no different. They all know each other better coming out of Camp Cal and only time will tell if that makes a difference on the basketball court.

Kentucky is a 21.5 point favorite over Mississippi State.

These teams tend to play each other close; the underdog covered the spread in seven of the last nine meetings.

Take that however you would like to take that. Gamble responsibly.

Calipari is still preaching, “Think pass with the ball, think shoot without it.”

Soon we will add this to the Calipari drinking game/BINGO board. He reminded us of his new message during Tuesday’s pre-Mississippi State media opportunity, elaborating on the new mentality he is trying to instill in his players. He compared it to a wide receiver running routes without the ball, “running blind,” which is what he tells his players to do.

“Don’t jog like; well I don’t think I’m getting this one,” he tells them. “And the big guy, run blind, fly and maybe you get the ball, maybe you don’t. That’s what we’re trying, those are just ways of getting them to think different than they’ve thought.”

Aaron Harrison said it’s helping the players to be better prepared to score. He said he had never heard it before but it makes a lot of sense.

Brother Andrew said, “It’s weird, but we definitely understand where he’s coming from and what he means by it, just being ready and try to move to the open spot when you don’t have the ball.”

Booker, Lyles, Towns and Ulis named McDonald’s All-American nominees.

Kentucky basketball signees Devin Booker, Trey Lyles, Karl Towns and Tyler Ulis have all been nominated for the McDonald’s All-American game in April. The four high school standouts, Kentucky’s entire 2014 recruiting class, are part of a list of almost 1,000 names, both boys and girls, nominated for the game. That list will be narrowed down to 24 players in each game and the rosters will be announced on ESPNU at 6:00 p.m. January 29.

Last year Kentucky had six players in the boys’ game, making up one-fourth of the entire contest. The Wildcats also had two representatives in the girls’ game, and another, Alyssa Rice, is nominated this year.

Drew Barker told KSR he’s not so sure about Matt Elam anymore.

Drew Barker was a guest on Kentucky Sports Radio radio Tuesday morning and he admitted to being just as surprised as we were when Elam postponed his announcement at the Army All-American Bowl. Barker said he found out the news like everyone else, via Twitter, and couldn’t talk to Matt until well after the game because they were on opposing teams.

Now, with Elam taking an official visit to Alabama, he isn’t as confident as he was last week that the final pick will be Kentucky:

“I was really confident before this week, but you know, he didn’t decide or whatever, so I guess he really is torn between the two schools and now I know he’s going to take an official to Alabama, so I’m not really sure, honestly,” Barker told KSR. “I think he could go either way. I’m honestly not really sure anymore. I could tell you before this week it was all Kentucky, but I’m not really sure anymore.”

Elam speculation aside, Barker is still very excited about UK’s 2014 class and he believes Stoops and Co. will have a couple wild cards on National Signing Day. He wouldn’t be surprised to see a couple late surprises down the stretch.

Listen to Drew’s interview below:

Bobby Petrino heading back to Louisville?

Please let this happen.

Petrino interviewed for the Louisville vacancy on Tuesday and several reports are saying the job is his. The Louisville Athletic Board will hold a meeting Thursday morning and the new coach will likely be named soon after. If it is Petrino, you will be able to hear the laughter coming from the KSR headquarters from anywhere in the state. We are really excited about the potential.

Also, further proof the job is Petrino’s: Rick Pitino said he highly doubts it will happen, meaning he fully expects it to happen.

The NCAA is trying to determine the best fan base with an online poll.

Of course, Kentucky is already No. 1 with very little promotion but it’s very early in the competition. Go ahead and pile on more votes in the “6th Fan” contest at NCAA.org. The winning school will receive $100,000 and all entries will be entered into a grand prize drawing for an all expense paid trip to the 2015 Final Four. An iPad air will be given away in each round, too. Happy voting!

Go Cats, everybody.

Article written by Drew Franklin

27 Comments for Red Lightning’s Wednesday News and Views

1. DC
    11:37 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

song choice in that red lightning slideshow: perfect.

2. Nashville Cat
    12:05 am January 8, 2014 Permalink

UNC spotlighted in cnn article. I realize the NCAA will only act when they have to or if it involves UK, but i love that this story just will not go away. http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/07/us/ncaa-athletes-reading-scores/index.html?hpt=hp_c3

3. Matthew McConaughey
    12:22 am January 8, 2014 Permalink

What does Bobby Petrino like about college girls? He gets older, they stay the same age.

• RealCatsFan
      6:46 am January 8, 2014 Permalink

In his mind he is not aging, but simply becoming ever more irresistible to the opposite sex. Egomaniacs think that way – just ask Rick.

4. EC
    6:21 am January 8, 2014 Permalink

KSR has got to send someone to the Petrino’s presser in a neckbrace and a ball cap. This is a must.

• RealCatsFan
      6:45 am January 8, 2014 Permalink

I elect Drew! The man for the job!

5. KG
    7:04 am January 8, 2014 Permalink

Aside from Petrino’s life style what’s not to like about his coaching ability? Personal life,choice of women(or girls) or off field antics put aside, the man has proven that he can coach. I don’t like him but,again, he can coach. just sayin

• RealCatsFan
      7:44 am January 8, 2014 Permalink

Totally agree with you that he has been a great X’s & O’s coach on the field. But anyone who wants to say that the decisions made in a coach’s personal life is totally separate from what happens with the team is fooling themselves. All through their playing careers, and especially when they are younger, the players are looking up to the coaches as role models – for some of them the coach is a bigger influence in their lives than parents (sometimes absent) and teachers. Sure, everyone makes mistakes both on and off the field, but Petrino has shown an affinity for duplicity, lying, and coverups at several stops in his coaching career. He might not have been accused of any NCAA violations, but anyone who is that willing to subvert his own integrity would more likely than not be willing to do the same on the field.

All of the Louisville trolls who used to accuse Kentucky of having a win-at-all-costs mentality when they hired Calipari will no longer have a leg to stand on. Louisville has already trumped this in spades by keeping Hurtt on board, and hiring Petrino will reinforce it, whether he wins on the field or not.

• Hill
      10:53 am January 8, 2014 Permalink

So he can coach, so what. We should expect more from adults that are in a position like a coach or a teacher. Would anyone want their daughter to be around a man like him. There are good decent people who are just as good of a coach, if not better, than Petrino.

6. Moron
    8:02 am January 8, 2014 Permalink

Drew must have manure for his brains if he wants uofl to get Bobby. He was 4 and 0 against us and not one game was close. That is, he was 4 and 0 while the tards coach. Careful what you wish for. I’m sure he won’t forget that Mitch refused to interview him either.

7. Ted
    8:04 am January 8, 2014 Permalink

Is it me or with the new freedom of movement rule in basketball no one will be able to stop Tyler ulis wow he’s fast

8. What?
    8:13 am January 8, 2014 Permalink

I don’t get what will be so funny if Louisville hires Petrino – I don’t find losing to Louisville in football every year very funny…..

Then again, it may get Barnfart fired..

• Plenty
      8:41 am January 8, 2014 Permalink

Okay goofball, stoops will be at UK at least til barker is gone, so another 3-4 years at least. Stoops will have a top 25 team in 2 years. I don’t see him going anywhere unless he leaves for a better job. Petrino is washed up, UK is going to give him some losses.

9. Willie
    8:17 am January 8, 2014 Permalink

Petrino’s hiring = Stoops’s firing

I give it two more bad seasons for Stoops and being crushed by Petrino and we will have another coaching search. HOPEFULLY, and I mean HOPEFULLY, Mitch Barnhart will be fired with him.

10. Red Lightning
    8:26 am January 8, 2014 Permalink

Red Lightning is the Man. This guy has been all the rage at FSU all year. He roughed up a UF player on the sidelines after a late hit. Dont mess with him.

11. UKBlue1!
    9:15 am January 8, 2014 Permalink

If Petrino is hired by UL it would be a smart move. This is also another example of Brainfart, Not knowing his head from a hole in the ground. IF it wasn’t for the pressure former players and boosters were putting on him Calipari wouldn’t have been hired in basketball. With the schedule next year, I can’t see under any circumstance our football team winning more than 5 games. It will do well to win 4 games next year. Petrino with a new quarterback, and changes is looking at worst case 7-5 in the ACC. This is going to force a lot of pressure on our staff and coaches. I can see another coaching change in 2 years. Hopefully, the AD goes before he is allowed to hire another coach.

• BlueRedNeck
      9:25 am January 8, 2014 Permalink

Sure, he will win at UL, but how long will it take before he A) takes another job offer, B) gets involved in another scandal (Although we all know that Jurich still wouldn’t fire him even if he screwed the pope), or C) has multiple players arrested for off the field shenanigans?

12. Daniel
    9:17 am January 8, 2014 Permalink

Am I right that Football Recruiting now is the most stressful it’s ever been… I mean kids are committing but its not true because they’ll take other visits, they’ll de-commit and re-commit.. it’s hard on these coaches

13. Emoney
    9:25 am January 8, 2014 Permalink

I said it at the beginning of the year and I’ll say it again…. Barnhart swung and missed on the hiring of Stoops. Petrino was the best PROVEN coach available and he actually wanted to come here!! We didnt need a coach who has no experience with being the Head Coach. Off field issues aside, Petrino can CALL PLAYS with the best. The Falcons wanted him for a reason! Here are a few of the reasons why Petrino should have been hired by UK….
    1. He has experience coaching and recruiting in the SEC,…. NUFF SAID
    2. He has proven that he can take programs that are on the bottom and have them compete on a top level in a short period of time
    3. HE WOULD HAVE BEEN THE PERFECT COACH FOR DREW BARKER AND FUTURE QB’S AT UK. He has held numerous positions as QB’s coach and offensive coordinator in the college and pro levels. His tutelage has developed QB’s like Jake Plummer, Brian Brohm, and Ryan Mallet.

• L1C5
      9:47 am January 8, 2014 Permalink

I said it at the beginning of the year and I’ll say it again…I do not want that scumbag Petrino coaching at a school I graduated from and love.

• Alum
      10:12 am January 8, 2014 Permalink

Barker wouldn’t be at UK if we hired Petrino. He wanted nothing to do with UK until Stoops’ staff impressed him. I think alot of fans are happy we never interviewed Petrino, move on.

• Hill
      10:58 am January 8, 2014 Permalink

UK is lucky to have Stoops. Petrino is a low life. So

14. The Wildcats Nuttsak
    10:01 am January 8, 2014 Permalink

I may be wrong but in the first pic of Red running up the sidelines, to his left Is that Nick Satan? To the right of his head Lee Corso? To the right of Jameis, Jerry Jones? and just at top of Jameis Helmet, Chad Ochocinco Johnson??? No big deal, Just thought Id give bbn a little fresh air from all the flatulence these Tard Trolls are spewing out.

15. Emoney
    10:39 am January 8, 2014 Permalink

Im a fan and a graduate as well.. But this discussion is about X’s and O’s. I never let my personal feelings get in the way of logical decisions. I dont like what he did at Arkansas but Petrino is a great COACH. His resume speaks for itself! Why you think Louisville is even considering bringing him back after the way he left??? Answer: He is an NFL level offensive coordinator! I’ll put my pot on the fire and say UofL will hire him and I say GOOD FOR HIM! Life is about second chances and a coach of his calibur will always make the best of his opportunity.

• Hill
      11:01 am January 8, 2014 Permalink

You are right that his résumé speaks for itself. His scandals also speak for themselves. Buyer beware when hiring Petrino.

• PhilUK18
      11:31 am January 8, 2014 Permalink

For one, this is more of an 8th or 9th chance for Petrino. The guy just doesn’t have an ounce of dignity in him. Bolted for the Falcons, left Atlanta before the season even ended, and then gave some skank a job, $20,000, and lied about it at Arkansas. As a fellow UK grad and fan like yourself, I personally would rather lose than have someone with that little dignity coaching. Not to mention the fact that between Petrino and Calipari (who of course has 0 violations but draws the ire of the NCAA), we would be the most scrutinized school in the country (if we aren’t already).

What looks really pathetic to me though in this whole thing is Louisville. They look like an abused girlfriend with really low self esteem, who would use phrases like “yeah, he hurt me before but it was MY fault! He won’t do it again!”. I’m glad to be a fan and alum of the major university in Kentucky with more self respect and class than that.

16. I won't be laughing
    12:24 pm January 8, 2014 Permalink

I totally agree with the next guy that Petrino is sleezy and not someone I personally would want to represent my university, but honestly he is the last person I want to get hired here. Sure, Strong and Bridgewater may have left but UL still has athletes and we saw what Petrino could do against us with fewer athletes at WKU last year, he is a fantastic football coach, I don’t want to have to face that year in and year out.