ksr-logo

It’s an action-packed day on KSR as the guys weigh in on the latest recruiting news and more on Bam Adebayo’s decision. They’ll also discuss Commonwealth Stadium naming rights and release the bracket for Thursday’s Movie Tournament.

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

affiliate-list

Article written by Drew Franklin

105 Comments for Recruiting, Bam, Commonwealth and Movie Selection Committee (Tuesday Show Thread)

1. runningunnin.454
    10:06 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

The movie thing was fun; how Titanic made it, I don’t know. But for the phony love affair it was practically verbatim to a 1958 British movie called “A Night to Remember”.
    A young nurse I worked with said it was the best movie ever made, and asked me if I had seen it…I said Nah….I don’t watch movies when I know the ending. She said, “if you didn’t watch it, how do you know the ending”? Righteo.
    I guess the best one of the list was “Schindler’s List”. Couldn’t watch it but once tho, just too raw and sad.

10:22 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

“Schindler’s List” was absolutely powerful and riveting.

• Sentient Third Eye
      10:22 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

Titanic was a bad movie that would have flopped except for teenage girls so in love with DiCaprio that they had not sense of discretion remaining.

• Realme
      10:25 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

I’m not proud to say that was the fault of womankind of all ages. I have a relative that bought multiple copies of Titanic in VHS, just to make sure she’d always have it. Gag.

10:26 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

I thought Titanic was an OK movie, but it is an example of a movie that simply won a popularity contest.

10:29 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

I liked Titanic when I was in high school, but not so much now.

• ukjaybrat
      10:34 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

i was bait and switched into seeing the titanic when i was in school. went with a friend to see something (forgot) and when we got there it was sold out and they decided we should go see titanic instead… worst freaking 5 hours of my life…..

10:34 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

Schindler’s list was an excellent movie, but I don’t ever want to see it again. It left me depressed for days. There are a lot of movies like that though, good movies, but I only watch them once because they’re so depressing. Legends of the Fall, Atonement, The English Patient, all good but depressing.

• runningunnin.454
      10:40 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

Legends of the Fall was good,,,so was A River Runs Through It, also Sleepers
      One thing about Brad Pitt, he picks good projects.

10:41 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

J-Dub, you can put “The Passion of the Christ” on that list. Even though it portrays the event that became the foundation of one of the most prevalent religions on the face of the earth, the sheer brutality was numbing to me.

10:45 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

Brad Pitt is an excellent actor. A River Runs Through It was great, so was Fury if you like WWII movies (depressing though).

The Last Samurai is a favorite of mine. It reminds me that Tom Cruise is a great actor, just a weirdo in real life.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:53 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

Legends of the Fall…and A River Runs Through it are both fantastic.

Vanilla Sky was actually very bizarre and cool.
      Matt would have done well to have smoked a joint or two at least once in his life. He might actually improve his musical choices.m

• runningunnin.454
      10:57 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

If you haven’t seen “Sleepers”, I would recommend it. Very powerful drama with Pitt, Minnie Driver who is excellent, and Deniro gives what I believe is his best performance.

• Sentient Third Eye
      11:52 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

Titanic actually debuted on the same day as The Postman. The Postman is not an all-time great movie either, but it is better than Titanic.

2. RealCatsFan
    10:18 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

I put a bunch of great movies on that list, but I would bet my bottom dollar that Matt won’t mention a single one of them.

• runningunnin.454
      10:20 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

They should do one for before 1980…leave Matt out in the cold.

• Sentient Third Eye
      10:25 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

I still say the 1980 cutoff makes no sense. It’s like having a contest to pick the best basketball player in the world and then banning NBA players. This contest restricts us only to considering a period of continued decline following the peak of film.

• runningunnin.454
      10:29 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

Yep, wasn’t called “The Golden Age” for nothing.

• ukjaybrat
      10:32 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

STE perfect analysis

• CATandMONKEY
      10:45 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

But you could still make a list of “Best non-NBA players”. Simply a time frame. I agree with your take in the other thread that the BEST movies were prob made prior to 1980 but to Simply put temporal constraints on the list decreases the overall choices and makes one choose from a smaller pool for the time period referenced
      It makes no less sense than picking ” best teams of the 1990s”. That does not excuse Matt for some of the stupid things he is saying Godfather I, II and III are all separate. So are ALL the Star Wars movies.

• ukjaybrat
      10:53 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

C&M, while i agree with that statement, what does a list of “Best non-NBA players” get you? a lsit of people that COULD play in the nba if given a chance?

similarly, what does the list matt create give you? a movie that MIGHT be as good as the best stuff from the 60s and 70s?

• CATandMONKEY
      11:00 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

Sure, my NBA response was stupid but valid. How about it is simply a list of Best movies after 1980? What is so difficult about that? Best songs released in 1975. Yes it excludes songs from all other years. the question is not ” Best movies of all time” It is best movies since 1980.
      How about best UK players since 1992? Obviously that leaves out Beard and Cotton Nash. But the best in UK history wasn’t the question.
      I guess my question is why CAN’T Matt basically ask ” What are the best movies since 1980″?
      If he is trying to say that movies prior to that are crap then I agree with both of you. but if he is simply looking for best flicks in a certain period that is totally legitimate.m

3. Realme
    10:18 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

Denzel Ware decommitted and then came back.

• ukjaybrat
      10:25 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

hard to get hyped about recruits until they sign. kids commit and decommit all the time. and it means nothing until there’s ink on the paper. there really should be two signing periods for football. but really why not let a kid sign whenever he wants. who cares

• Realme
      10:26 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

Yeah, I stopped paying attention to fb recruits before signing day. No point getting to know a kid before then.

• runningunnin.454
      12:06 pm April 25, 2017 Permalink

Denzel’s best was “Crimson Tide”….sorry, had to do it.

4. RealCatsFan
    10:21 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

I put “Awakenings” on that list because it was an excellent movie, but I am starting to wonder if I was the only person who saw it. If you haven’t seen it, do your self a favor and watch it – touching and thought provoking, and it has DeNiro and Williams at the top of their games.

• runningunnin.454
      10:22 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

No, you’re right, excellent movie.

• rickwhitetx
      10:25 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

Yes, excellent movie. I almost put it on my list.

5. RealCatsFan
    10:22 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

Sam Hunt? Who dat?

6. Realme
    10:23 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

Matt becomes such a tyrant with his bracket rules. I love it.

7. mborder0
    10:25 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

The Big Lebowski

8. RealCatsFan
    10:25 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

So speaking of bunnies, no one put “Fatal Attraction” on the movie list.

Hint – that is a terrible movie for a first date. I know first hand. I had the hots for a redhead in one of my college classes, and finally worked up the nerve to ask her out. Went to see that movie, and I have to say it absolutely killed my chances with her. I think she got it in her head that all men were scum and must have identified with Glenn Close. Maybe I dodges a bullet! 🙂

• Sentient Third Eye
      10:26 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

So the one of the screen was the only one you saw that night?

• rickwhitetx
      10:26 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

Should’ve taken her to Titanic. 🙂

• runningunnin.454
      10:35 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

Yep, when the ship hit the iceberg, she could have seen Dicaprio lean over and say,
      “That’s bad”.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:49 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

I have been moderated for simply agreeing with you, RCF.

11:14 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

STE, I have had more than a few occasions back in my dating days when I was afraid that I was going to have my bunny cooked. 😉

11:15 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

C&M, what can I say? I guess my moderation bug must be contagious. 🙂

9. Realme
    10:33 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

I’d like to know what all of you think about this:

If you HAD to pick one guy to blame for UNC getting that last shot off, who would you pick?

(This is in no way meant to bash any of the guys, that was a team defensive breakdown. I just have a co-worker that blames one guy, and I haven’t heard anyone else in any media pick him, so I want to know if my co-worker is being really dumb or not). Thanks in advance.

• runningunnin.454
      10:37 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

Can’t blame anybody…just have to give NC credit for getting the ball in play quickly before the TO could be called.

10:37 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

May was Willis guy to guard. Briscoe attempted to cover, but May is 6’10” and Briscoe is 6’3″.

• ukjaybrat
      10:39 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

really can’t give an honest answer on this because i haven’t seen the play since it happened. we lost because of team defense on that last play. but i’m sure if i went back and watched it (i won’t) i could probably figure out if someone was out of position first causing another player to help here and another help there… whatever. but it won’t solve anything. it’s over. on to next year.

• Realme
      10:45 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

Well my full of hot takes co-worker blames Briscoe, because of course.

• Realme
      10:45 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

I don’t want to re-watch it either Jay. Hence my show thread question instead. 🙂

10:46 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

Your co-worker is wrong. Willis ran down court then stopped in the middle and guarded no one, forcing Briscoe to try to cover his man.

• Realme
      10:50 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

I figured. He is usually wrong. Loud and insistent, but not strong on facts.

10. Walter White
    10:34 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

Out-american psycho

In-unforgiven

10:36 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

Yep, “Unforgiven” was a great one – so was “Pale Rider”. Eastwood was a master of the Western. One of my favorites, but before 1980, was “The Outlaw Josey Wales”.

11. RealCatsFan
    10:37 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

Tyler Thompson has a point – the movie Matt mentioned was one of those that not very many people saw.

12. ukjaybrat
    10:40 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

what is this star wars movie? maybe we take that out and put in something someone has seen before…. geez

13. J-Dub421
    10:41 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

Is this fool really complaining about Westry and Baity?? They’re both excellent corners.

14. RealCatsFan
    10:50 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

STD is doing his own personal Show Thread filibuster….

10:55 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

And he has terrible taste in movies.

• CATandMONKEY
      11:02 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

Still better than Matt’s taste in music

• Realme
      11:21 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

His taste is bad, but I am enjoying hearing him frustrate Matt’s plans. I wish someone would call in and argue Twilight, just so we can listen to their heads explode.

11:27 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

Ha! 🙂

15. ukjaybrat
    10:55 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

gotta run. deck ain’t gonna stain itself.

11:12 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

Don’t use a solid stain, and run from the “Behr”!!

16. MKVincent
    11:08 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

Blow in, Traffic out.
    Training Day in, Hoosiers out.
    Django Unchained in, Castaway out.
    The Untouchables in, Matrix out.

• CATandMONKEY
      11:11 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

At least 10 others on the list out before The Matrix… And I am only counting the first movie. Matt’s idea of counting a franchise as a single movie is beyond ridiculous.

• runningunnin.454
      11:16 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

When I saw Castaway on the list, I thought it was all a joke. I like Tom Hanks; but that is a waste of 2.5 hours. Hanks was great in “Forest Gump”, and a newer one, “Bridge of Spies”.

11:40 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

Almost without exception, Hanks is good in every movie that he does. Kind of like DeNiro. Very few flops by either of these guys.

Robin Williams was another actor whose work I greatly respected. GRHS.

17. RealCatsFan
    11:11 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

“Alien” over “Blair Witch”. ALL. DAY. LONG.

11:22 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

Blair Witch is terrible and gave me a headache watching it. I hate “shaky cam” movies.

• Realme
      11:23 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

UGH, yes J-dub. That, Cloverfield and District 9 can all go %^&$ theirselves.

11:26 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

Those were both terrible too.

18. CATandMONKEY
    11:11 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

Shannon truly has terrible taste in movies

19. CATandMONKEY
    11:14 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

The JMI deal sounds worse everyday.

• Realme
      11:19 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

Is Matt seriously arguing that Commonwealth should be renamed, even though it would only benefit them? I don’t care that much, but I’m not going to be moved to favor a name change for corporate non-university profits. I was only half listening, maybe I misunderstood.

• CATandMONKEY
      11:23 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

He stated the rights are already sold…To JMI to shop for a sponsor. Any money due UK for naming has already been received. Matt hates the name “Commonwealth Stadium”.
      Want to shut down a state? Try renaming Fenway Park.

• Realme
      11:25 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

Well, I hope JMI goes with Big Ass Fans, then.

20. CATandMONKEY
    11:16 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

Brewers: County… Cleveland: Municipal.

21. CATandMONKEY
    11:19 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

That is the main problem with all of M. Night Shamalamdingdong movies…Many are super on first watch but once you reach paydirt the second time isn’t cool because you know what is happening.

• Realme
      11:22 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

Surprised Matt didn’t just lump all of them together.

11:24 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

6th Sense is good, and I like Signs, but most of the others aren’t that good.

• runningunnin.454
      11:35 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

I was reminded of 6th Sense yesterday with all the hate on Diallo….somebody said, “I see stupid people”.

• Sentient Third Eye
      2:25 pm April 25, 2017 Permalink

J-Dub, M. Night kind of jumped the shark with The Village (though I liked it personally), but he’s making a comeback with Split. If you liked Unbreakable, you have to see Split. It’s set in the same universe.

22. UKrailbird
    11:23 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

I know it is iconic because of the concept of the film, but in my humble opinion, Blair Witch Project is one of the absolute worst movies of all time…people running around in the dark with flashlights while they disappear one-by-one. A very weak film!

11:24 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

Plus they were all stupid and unlikeable.

• CATandMONKEY
      11:33 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

A TRUE

23. CATandMONKEY
    11:24 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

Blair witch sucks. Don’t let Matt make a music mix and don’t let Shannon pick your movies.
    Speed? That is Diehard on a bus. How fkng original.

11:29 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

Not to mention, STD hates the Star Wars movies but has never watched any of them. If you haven’t seen them, you can’t judge.

• I have a friend who had never seen any Star Wars movies until I rented all 3 back in like 1991 (the 3 that had been done of course). We watched them back to back to back. When ROTJ was over, he said “They all went to Jedi heaven!”. 🙂 Epic response IMO.

12:03 pm April 25, 2017 Permalink

I have been looking for a copy of the Star Wars trilogy so that my kids can see them. They have never seen them.

24. CATandMONKEY
    11:31 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

My daughter watched a YouTube video ” 10 movies you can only watch once” …Based on subject matter, depressing subject etc. Shindler’s was #1. Glad I watched it… once..
    Not a date movie.

25. RealCatsFan
    11:31 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

I was watching “Saving Private Ryan” with my 13-year-old sitting next to me, and I forgot how gory the opening Normandy scenes were. She left when they showed the dude with his guts blown out.

• Imagine what it was like being there. My wife had an uncle (now passed away) who was there as a medic in the Canadian army. He would never talk about it.

12:01 pm April 25, 2017 Permalink

CG, I could not imagine. That is why my hat is always off to our fellow Americans who served our country. Same goes for our first responders. You just can’t relate to getting up every morning and going to your job knowing that there is a very legitimate chance that you might not come home. (And yes, I fully realize that any of us could get hit by a bus or a falling meteorite.)

26. CATandMONKEY
    11:32 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

…Says the man who endorses and participates in “professional wrestling.”

11:40 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

Ha! I thought the same thing.

27. Realme
    11:40 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

Nothing frustrates me more than listening to fans complain about titles. We went 13 years without so much as a Final Four, and then Cal came and got us a a title, and may get more. But that’s just not acceptable to these idiots.

11:58 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

If fans want to be mad at someone/thing in reference to the one-and-done rule, blame the NBA. I find myself disliking the NBA because they keep “stealing” all our players. Wish they would change that rule.

28. Gump = overrated. There, I said it. For all the clever, touching, and funny moments, it was horribly depressing also.

• runningunnin.454
      12:05 pm April 25, 2017 Permalink

Not.

• CATandMONKEY
      1:27 pm April 25, 2017 Permalink

Which was part of what made it great. the only “real parts” were the depressing ones.

29. Realme
    11:41 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

Never once has a caller complained about being cut off that didn’t deserve to be cut off.

30. RealCatsFan
    11:42 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

Ha! Matt is getting busted for cutting people off, and now she is going to bust him for lack of “chick flick” movies on the list. “Fried Green Tomatoes” anyone?

What about “Misery”?

11:48 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

Fried Green Tomatoes is great.

11:56 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

Is “Tombstone” the movie with Keifer Sutherland in it? If so, I cannot take a western seriously where one of the characters calls someone a “geek”.

• Stuck on Blue
      11:58 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

FGT one of the best ever. Love that movie. Tawanda!

12:15 pm April 25, 2017 Permalink

No Tombstone stars Val Kilmer as Doc Holliday and Kurt Russell as Wyatt Earp. It also has Bill Paxton and Sam Elliott. Good movie.

31. Realme
    11:55 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

How did Field of Dreams not get booted?

32. J-Dub421
    11:56 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

There Will Be Blood was three plus hours of my life I will never get back. So. Boring.

33. CATandMONKEY
    12:32 pm April 25, 2017 Permalink

Matt: ” That movie with the chubby dude, Russell Crowe” Is Crowe chubby now? Don’t know and don’t care. But “chubby” in that movie or Gladiator must be Matt-code for “any famous guy that can summarily kick my ass with his pinky finger.”