© Mark Zerof

© Mark Zerof

© Mark Zerof

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Monday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, Matt, Ryan, and Drew will recap Kentucky’s win over New Mexico State, which sparked a quarterback controversy, and look ahead to Saturday’s showdown with South Carolina. Tune in to hear their thoughts on what could be (once again) the most important game of Mark Stoops’ career.

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

affiliate-list

71 Comments for Recapping the win over New Mexico State and looking forward to South Carolina (Monday Show Thread)

1. Realme
    10:13 am September 19, 2016 Permalink

No comment about our defense. Is Johnson a budding dual threat qb, or was the NMST defense just bad? Also, I love Benny Snell.

• ukjaybrat
      10:17 am September 19, 2016 Permalink

until i see more, my money is on nmsu is just that bad.

Our defense is just BAD. stoops can come up with whatever excuse he wants, that was supposed to be his show this weekend and we couldn’t stop a really bad team from scoring on us almost at will… I think at this point in the season, we might only get 1 more win the rest of the year.

• Realme
      10:19 am September 19, 2016 Permalink

Freddie says Southern Miss is much better than South Carolina, so I am hopeful for this week. Then I just hope Bama doesn’t break ALL of our players the next week.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:32 am September 19, 2016 Permalink

Stoops once managed a talented defensive corps to national prominence.
      Here at UK, WTF?????

• J-Dub421
      10:43 am September 19, 2016 Permalink

Hopefully that win built some confidence for Johnson, and he can use it as a jumping off point to rally the offense around him and elevate the whole offense. Our offense is going to have to out-score teams like in the Mumme years because our defense isn’t stopping anyone.

• C & M, I think that was what Michael Irvin called “Players making plays”. You’re right though. Stoops knows what a good defense/team looks like. We hear last week “We got better today”, and then they serve up that defense on Saturday???

2. RealCatsFan
    10:14 am September 19, 2016 Permalink

I’ll just leave this out there – last year, Kyle Bolin getting injured was probably the best thing to happen to UofL football all year. Now I’m not saying that Johnson is anywhere near the player that Jackson is, but I firmly believe that UK has needed a mobile, dual thread QB for years. Maybe this is what we need to jump-start things on offense.

Now about that defense…

• Bozferatu
      10:36 am September 19, 2016 Permalink

I’m with you. Look at Urban Meyer, Oregon, TCU, etc. Dual threat QBs have provided more stability to programs in recent years. The odds of you finding and developing a great pocket passer are much lower than finding a star athlete who happens to be a competent passer.

3. CATandMONKEY
    10:18 am September 19, 2016 Permalink

Our defense doesn’t have the guys to play a typical scheme. DJ and Stoops need to get creative, get crazy even. Load the box, 5/2, 6/1, something different. Nothing can be any worse than what we have attempted so far.

• Realme
      10:22 am September 19, 2016 Permalink

Not being good at keeping track of what’s going on away from the ball, I was wondering if they were being creative, and that’s why there were so many wide open receivers on the other team. But upon further reflection… They just suck.

• Look at John Goodner’s Wikipedia page (DC under Guy Morris…hired by Mumme right before Hal was shown the door). I had forgotten that he ran some kind of freakish hybrid defense. Maybe that’s what we need to do.

Thing is, regardless of his scheme, Jeremy Caudill and company were playing smash-mouth on the D line. I’ll never forget how badly they beat up Ragone. It was beautiful. I know how much was the players and how much was Goodner. That’s the age-old question that will be asked until Judgment Day: which is more important, players or coaching?

• I DON”T know how much…

4. True story: on the local show down here in Bama this morning, one of the hosts said some fans on Auburn message boards are calling for…wait for it…can you guess who? Bobby Petrino and/or Art Briles. LOL!

I know we got the win, but man, UL puts themselves squarely in the pic for the natty, and we’re looking like Joker’s last year. CALGON TAKE ME AWAY!!!

This almost makes me want to be one of those fans that says “I’m a UK bball fan but I’m a Bama football fan.” Almost. I just don’t EVER want to be that guy though. I can’t stand those kinds of fans.

• Bozferatu
      10:39 am September 19, 2016 Permalink

I don’t know that I would ever stop laughing in Petrino left Louisville again.

• RealCatsFan
      10:47 am September 19, 2016 Permalink

Or if Petrino shows up with a neck brace on again. If that happens, the Louisville fans would never be able to live it down.

• Don’t forget he was an assistant at Auburn under Tuberville, and then the “Jetgate” scandal happened where Auburn officials had secretly hopped a plane to Louisville (actually just across the border in Indiana). Petrino entertained their offer the week of the Iron Bowl right after he had signed an extension with UL.

However, a Montgomery Advertiser reporter found out about the plane trip and exposed it. Tommy’s job was saved, the AD was fired, and I think the board member who was on the plane got thrown out.

• cats paw
      11:13 am September 19, 2016 Permalink

meanwhile in the REAL world….First Take is now discussing if Louisville should be ranked #1 in the country while UK is discussing when Stoops will be fired!!! i wonder which school the recruits are looking at?

• ukjaybrat
      11:34 am September 19, 2016 Permalink

• RealCatsFan
      11:45 am September 19, 2016 Permalink

Cats Paw, answer this question, and be honest. How much did you hate Petrino when he left UofL the first time? And did you laugh at him when he had the neck brace on?

• RealCatsFan
      11:53 am September 19, 2016 Permalink

Crickets… thought so. We wouldn’t get an honest answer from this guy anyway.

• ukjaybrat
      11:55 am September 19, 2016 Permalink

RCF, you won’t get an honest answer. just some not-so-witty comeback about how you looks stupid and you’re a stupid face uk fan

5. RealCatsFan
    10:22 am September 19, 2016 Permalink

Louisville is capable of scoring 100 points on us, and you know that Petrino is enough of a dick to try to make it happen. 🙁

• Realme
      10:25 am September 19, 2016 Permalink

This dread must be how their fans feel when they have to play us in basketball.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:28 am September 19, 2016 Permalink

It is up to our D to keep them from triple digits.
      I am not optimistic we can stop them. . . at all.

• Someone tell Cal he’s FIRED if we lose to the Cards. LOL!

Just kidding, but as bad as we are in football, we have GOT to keep the dominance in bball alive.

• RealCatsFan
      10:45 am September 19, 2016 Permalink

Our only hope is for Petrino to get into another sex scandal. The odds are pretty good for that one, but it might take another year for his head to swell up enough for him to once again think that he is above all the rules.

6. Laker Cat 18
    10:27 am September 19, 2016 Permalink

Johnson will be & should be our starting QB this week.

Also, to put it very lightly, our defense still needs some work.

• J-Dub421
      10:38 am September 19, 2016 Permalink

Agreed. I really wanted Barker to succeed and be the home-grown football hero we’ve been waiting for, but I just don’t see it happening.

• RealCatsFan
      10:43 am September 19, 2016 Permalink

Yep, J-Dub, he sure isn’t Tim Couch.

• J-Dub421
      10:45 am September 19, 2016 Permalink

I am ready to go with Johnson until further notice. Pull the plug on the Barker experiment for now.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:49 am September 19, 2016 Permalink

I personally feel like Barker was put on a pedestal as soon as he got here as the next big thing because of his individual ranking. You can’t force a square peg into a round hole. I’m not saying, I’m just saying.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:53 am September 19, 2016 Permalink

Now that Barker has officially been listed as the starter this week, I can’t help but wonder if it is a bluff from the staff. I’d bet the house USC will prepare for Johnson more than Barker this week.

• J-Dub421
      10:56 am September 19, 2016 Permalink

I still feel like Barker was handed the starting spot this season without having earned it. He didn’t beat out Towles last season. Then they started him a few times and Barker didn’t play all that well (see U of L game), then they chucked Towles back out in a horrible situation and he tried to force it a little. Then they gave the starting spot to Barker for this season with no competition. I can’t really blame Towles and Phillips for leaving at that point. Barker seems to collapse as soon as something goes wrong. He turns one mistake into many.

• RealCatsFan
      10:57 am September 19, 2016 Permalink

LC – yeah, unlike our football staff, who last year said they had not considered preparing for Jackson because he was not listed as a starter.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:14 am September 19, 2016 Permalink

I’m still sticking to my comment of Johnson being the starter this week. It will still happen.

7. Patches
    10:27 am September 19, 2016 Permalink

Cats defense is offensive

8. RealCatsFan
    10:39 am September 19, 2016 Permalink

Watching Lamar Jackson speak on camera is almost as painful as it was to watch Montrezl Harrell. Still not sure if what is coming out of either of those guys’ mouth is english.

• RealCatsFan
      10:44 am September 19, 2016 Permalink

Can someone please send Katina Powell over to the UofL Football dorms? 😀

9. secrick
    10:44 am September 19, 2016 Permalink

How can the defense be so bad, was Meant that good?

• Bozferatu
      10:46 am September 19, 2016 Permalink

I thought so last year. As far as interior defensive lineman go, he was the best on the team.

• J-Dub421
      10:51 am September 19, 2016 Permalink

I still wish we knew what happened with Meant. He just left all of a sudden when he was supposed to be a starter, then turned up a few weeks later with some other team. The whole situation is weird.

• Callinstraight
      11:35 am September 19, 2016 Permalink

Meant was good and so was Hatcher. I may be one of the few folks who feels sorry for Stoops. We didn’t have many good d linemen to begin with and the best two are no longer on the team. Programs like Bama have the depth to deal with that; we are no where deep enough (yet) to effectively deal with losing our best 2 d linemen.

• J-Dub421
      11:41 am September 19, 2016 Permalink

You’re right that we don’t have the depth to handle internal attrition like that, but I have no sympathy for Hatcher. He was given repeated chances and couldn’t stay out of his own way.

• Bozferatu
      11:55 am September 19, 2016 Permalink

I don’t feel bad for Hatcher, but stoops biggest recruiting busts have been on the D-line. Hatcher and Meant are no longer with the team and Elam might as well not be.

10. Craig
    10:44 am September 19, 2016 Permalink

Vick took over such a “nothing” Virginia Tech program that they had been to 6 straight bowls including a Sugar Bowl victory and an Orange Bowl loss, with two conference championships. Facts optional.

11. secrick
    10:45 am September 19, 2016 Permalink

Couldn’t watch the cards play, dam i hate when they are good.

12. Jason in Alabama
    10:48 am September 19, 2016 Permalink

I can’t believe they way you just blasted that guy for going to the Louisville game. UK nearly lost to one of the worst teams in college football and Louisville destroyed the number 2 team in the country.

I HATE Louisville, but I watched most of their game in awe. I watched the UK game and cried.

Choosing to watch an awesome team instead of a dreadful team isn’t abandoning your team (and my alma mater) its choosing to be entertained instead of disappointed.

You don’t need to respond on the air. I turned off your show. Same reasons.

• RealCatsFan
      10:55 am September 19, 2016 Permalink

Jason, this is KENTUCKY sports radio – what the hell did you expect Matt to do? What do you think Captain Suntan would do if a Louisville basketball fan called in to say that he would rather go to a UK game because they have more exciting players.

• secrick
      10:55 am September 19, 2016 Permalink

They don’t read this site, so don’t worry they want respond.

• onsides
      10:59 am September 19, 2016 Permalink

Choosing a random Louisville game over a UK SEC game is one thing. Choosing #10 Louisville vs #2 Florida State over UK vs New Mexico State is quite different.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:11 am September 19, 2016 Permalink

Louisville is a great football team. Not good, great. I’ll be shocked if they’re not in the playoff at the end of the season. I would even guess title game if I had to pick today.

With that said, I didn’t watch either game this Saturday.

13. RealCatsFan
    10:51 am September 19, 2016 Permalink

… and that is what sucks about being a basketball school instead of a football school. We get A.D. for one year, but Louisville gets Jackson for 3.

14. RealCatsFan
    10:53 am September 19, 2016 Permalink

OMG, if Stoops starts Barker over Johnson, and we have to watch Barker throwing the ball straight to the defenders and getting sacked, then let’s raise the $12mil and get Stoops the hell out of there NOW!

BTW, can we just can Stoops and Elliot and keep the other assistant coaches? Gran seems to be doing a decent job, and it would lower the payout.

• Bozferatu
      11:04 am September 19, 2016 Permalink

The question is, do you think Gran is the man for the job? The only way you can keep the Offensive staff is if you promote him. Any other head Coach is going to want to bring in someone else. We missed on Neil Brown, but is that enough to gamble on Gran?

• RealCatsFan
      11:09 am September 19, 2016 Permalink

Too early in the season to pass judgement on Gran, but Elliot has been here for 4 years, and we have never had a very good defense.

• Bozferatu
      11:14 am September 19, 2016 Permalink

100% with you on that.

15. onsides
    10:54 am September 19, 2016 Permalink

I guess I can’t be upset Barker will start since he was injured…………as long as UK doesn’t spot South Carolina 2 touchdowns before putting Johnson in.

16. Realme
    10:54 am September 19, 2016 Permalink

For a team that we’re told was deeply divided last year over what QB they supported, this situation is not good. I just hope that at the very least, the coaches continue to play both guys. They can take a page from Cal and say that who starts isn’t what matters.

17. bigcatinva
    10:57 am September 19, 2016 Permalink

Matt Jones and Ryan calling a person out for not being a football fan???? Boy, that’s hilarious! They spend the first 10 mins of the show (after a win) stirring up a QB controversy, belittling the play calling in the second half, and singing the praises of a UL QB. There is just as much evidence to convict you two.
    The caller was guilty, and a UL fan. It’s just hilarious you can see that and not your endless bashing of the football program. I was listening during the Billy Clyde years and there wasn’t this much negativity.
    Sorry to just post and not call but I’m working.

• RealCatsFan
      11:07 am September 19, 2016 Permalink

They are telling it like it is. I don’t agree with everything that Matt Jones says, but I will give him this much – he recognizes when an opponent is really good. That’s not being a fan of that program when you do that. This guy on the phone was actually talking about going to a UofL game when having the choice between that and a UK game. That is the definition of a bandwagon fan, and Matt was correct in calling him out for it.

There is one very effective way for the football team to end all the bashing – compete.

18. bigcatinva
    11:11 am September 19, 2016 Permalink

RealCatsfan…I wasn’t defending the caller. He was a bandwagon fan. They were right in doing so.

19. W1ldCats4Life
    11:37 am September 19, 2016 Permalink

This is our new version of “Stevie Got Loose”….Stoops needs to run with SJIII and lets just try to outscore everyone. We’re not going to stop them with defense for sure.

I’m tuning in late to the show…sounds like it’s been a good one.

20. RealCatsFan
    11:41 am September 19, 2016 Permalink

Along the same lines, why would conspiracy to murder have a lighter sentence? Say you are rich enough to hire some guy who has no money to kill your boss. Why would the guy who pulls the trigger get treated differently than the guy who wants him dead but doesn’t have the guts to do it himself?

• J-Dub421
      11:44 am September 19, 2016 Permalink

Agreed. If “intent” is needed for murder in the first, then someone who intended to commit a heinous crime but wasn’t successful should be punished the same due to intent. Why give a lighter sentence just because someone was incompetent? Is it a pity sentence?

• ukjaybrat
      11:45 am September 19, 2016 Permalink

it shouldn’t. the way the law is written, paying someone to do a job is no different than doing the job yourself. however, in reality, those kinds of people usually also have the money to keep their hands clean and lawyers to keep them out of jail.

21. kingave66
    11:42 am September 19, 2016 Permalink

Is there actually going to be a podcast today?? Where was Friday’s?????????

22. W1ldCats4Life
    11:51 am September 19, 2016 Permalink

where are the tweets that Matt is referencing? are they private? I can’t see any of them

23. RealCatsFan
    11:57 am September 19, 2016 Permalink

I would never with an injury on a player like Jackson, but if he did get hurt when Petrino is running up the score on someone, that would be karma on Petrino.

• RealCatsFan
      11:58 am September 19, 2016 Permalink

meant to say I would never wish an injury on someone…