Recapping another fun day in paradise (Tuesday Show Thread)

Photo by Darrell Bird | CatsPause.com

Photo by Darrell Bird | CatsPause.com

Photo by Darrell Bird | CatsPause.com

With two games down and four to go, it’s becoming clear that this team isn’t just good, they’re very good. UK rolled over Champagne Chalons-Reims yesterday, putting away what we thought would be their toughest competition with ease in the second half. It’s just August, and it’s only exhibition games, but man, this team is fun to watch.

Matt and Drew are live at the Atlantis to recap UK’s win and tell us some more behind-the-scenes stories as we get ready for the Cats’ rematch with the Puerto Rico Reserve Team. While they travel to the arena, Ryan Lemond and Jared Lorenzen will take over to give you your football fix. Here’s the schedule:

10:00 — 11:30 a.m.: Matt and Drew live from the Atlantis
11:30 a.m. — 12:30 p.m.: Ryan Lemond and Jared Lorenzen take over
12:30 — 1:00 p.m.: Matt, Tom Leach, and Mike Pratt live from the arena
1:00 — 3:00 p.m.: Tom Leach and Mike Pratt call the game (ESPNU television coverage)

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

KSR Affiliate List

WBGN (1340am): Bowling Green
WAIN (93.9fm): Columbia
WHIR (1230am): Danville
WCLU (1490am): Glasgow
WGOH (1370am): Grayson
WTUK (105.1fm): Harlan (starting August 18th)
WHOP (95.3fm): Hopkinsville
WLSI (900am) Pikeville
WPRT (960am): Prestonsburg
WSFC (1240am): Somerset
WTCW (920am): Whitesburg
WHAY (98.3fm): Whitley City
WBTH (1400am): Williamson

On Delay (ALL TIMES LISTED EASTERN)…

WCBL (1290am): Benton, 12-2pm
WVHI (1330am): Evansville, IN, 5-7pm
WMTL (870am): Leitchfield, 11am-1pm
WLBQ (1570am): Morgantown, 3-5pm
WRIL (106.3fm): Middlesboro, Thur 8-10pm

76 Comments for Recapping another fun day in paradise (Tuesday Show Thread)

1. DrSayre
    9:55 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

I still cant believe the news about Robin Williams. My favorite Robin Williams movie is probably Mrs. Doubtfire.

2. UK_JB
    9:57 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

I guess Cal was getting film for himself?

Still sad and shocked about Robin Williams. Aladdin and Mrs. Doubtfire are my favorites by far.

3. Kevin Obryan
    10:00 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

This site sucks…zzzzzzzzz

• L1C6
      10:22 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

so go away then

• J-Dub421
      10:38 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

You suck Kevin.

4. Agreed
    10:09 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

So sad about Robin Williams. It’s kind of weird, I’ve never met the guy but felt like I knew him through his work. Supremely talented…….just tragic.

Please people if you are in pain, please tell someone.

I can’t pick a favorite. Happy Days to present. They were all good.

5. UKBigDaddy4
    10:10 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

Im trying REALLY hard not to buy too much into the hype…it’s August, these are exhibition games, etc. BUT, these kids just really seem to ‘get it.’ They already speak about themselves, and more importantly one another, as if they’ve been playing together for years. If they continue their development as a team…WOW!!! They won’t go undefeated(it’s just too difficult to do); someone will take them down at some point during the season. But to look at the schedule game by game, it’s hard to think they won’t be the prohibitive favorite for every game. It’s gonna be a really fun year! CATS!

• Agreed
      10:11 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

Can’t wait for the season to start. Basketball AND football. Gonna be a fun year…….

6. Dubbya
    10:11 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

Did Morehead beat The Food Pyramid?

• Agreed
      10:15 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

I believe they squeaked by the food pyramid by 57. lol

7. Shawon
    10:11 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

Good morning. I am having issues accessing the show via iHeartRadio. I am not able to listen to Leland Conway’s show either.

8. UK_JB
    10:12 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

Didn’t you tell story uncle matt about you went to another country and you ran up a phone bill over a girl and your mom got really upset at you?

9. brisco71
    10:16 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

Can you hear the games on IHeart today?

• Agreed
      10:19 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

I’m listening on iHeart.

10. Chris from Paducah
    10:16 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

I’m sad there wasn’t a post-game yesterday but nevertheless what a great game. My question is with the platoon system being used, does it affect the flow of the game for the players? If you are only playing 4 minute increment, isn’t it hard to get in a good rhythm? Obviously it hasn’t showed much negative effect yet but will the platoon system be used down the road the same way or will we see maybe a group used for 8-12 minutes instead of just 4?

11. Edd
    10:18 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

How I know Matt is excited: He broke out a new accent.

• Agreed
      10:37 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

Well played, sir…..lol

12. UKfan
    10:20 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

Replays of the Leach & Pratt radio broadcast synced to the TV broadcast of the first two Bahamas games: http://ukbasketballlive.com/kentucky-basketball-2014-2015-full-game-replays/

13. Walsh is Gay
    10:20 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

Yesterday was a weird day… first I was completely hyped up by the game, but then with the Robin Williams news I came right back down the emotions roller coaster.

14. James K
    10:21 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

It’s a Tuesday morning in August and I’ve watched Kentucky play basketball for (counting today) three days in a row. Kentucky is ridiculously good. I have KSR playing at both ends of our shotgun house so I can go about my normal routine. The break after this week until basketball season is going to be misery. This week is just too good.

15. bluegrassbilly
    10:25 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

How many games will Brew Franklin make it to?

16. The Wise Owl
    10:26 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

So, I guess there would be a Matt Jones, Tom Jurich, Rick Pitino dinner in the bahamas.

17. The Wise Owl
    10:28 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

It makes me chuckle how quickly the Matt Jones hype machine can change. Two weeks ago you said you would never hype a team like last year but after two exhibition games the hype is back. I love it and also agree with your assessment.

18. Did Cawood say “BOO-yah!” when James Lee sealed the 78 championship with the dunk on Duke?

19. Earache
    10:31 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

Since when did the guy from Sling Blade begin to host the show? lol

20. Delk for 3
    10:31 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

I think the story of this trip so far is the emergence of Tyler Ulis and how it he will make it hard for Cal not to give him the reigns to the team. Andrew is okay, but this Ulis kid has the ability to be great.

• J-Dub421
      10:50 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

Go look at Andrew’s numbers, he’s been better than okay. Yesterday he had five assists and no turnovers.

21. CatsFanInKnoxville
    10:32 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

There were at least three people talking in Matt’s last impression. It started off deep and scratchy and morphed into high pitched with a nasal tone.

22. Maggie
    10:35 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

Gary is the same as your “Sling Blade” voice. Do your Sling Blade impression and we will see if it a new impression.

23. Walsh is Gay
    10:41 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

Karl Towns Jr is incredibly skilled and much faster than I thought he’d be on the court. Trey Lyles is supposed to be BETTER than Karl Towns based on the recruiting rankings.. I find that hard to believe.

24. St. Paul Raiders
    10:41 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

Towns is so tough Billy Clyde would start him and only him, 1 on 5.

25. Laker Cat 18
    10:41 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

Bill Self says Andrew Wiggins wants to be traded to Minnesota. This article explains exactly why Wiggins did not choose UK. He does not want to be “a piece,” he wants to be THE piece.

• J-Dub421
      11:00 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

If Wiggins wants to be “the piece”, then he should have stepped up when his team needed him in the NCAA tournament last season. Wiggins is talented, but he is too quiet and has a long way to go towards being “the guy” for any team.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:08 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

I totally agree. I think he was shocked that Embiid ended up getting the “glory” he did throughout all last season. Had he known Embiid would have been in the spotlight at KU THAT much, I honestly don’t think he would have went to Kansas either. Ironically, Embiid’s injury boosted Wiggins to the #1 pick. Not sure it would have worked out like that had the injury not taken place.

26. micky
    10:42 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

anyone have a link to watch the game today?

27. Nickname for Karl Towns?
    10:42 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

What would it be?

• UKBigDaddy4
      10:49 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

Big KAT(Karl Anthony Towns)

• yo
      11:36 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

KATdaddy

28. Drew's Shirt
    10:46 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

Why is Matt making fun of me?

29. Gary
    10:47 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

Why is Matt making fun of me, too?

30. Michelle
    10:49 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

I’ve kicked myself in the backside everyday while listening to you. I’m getting really exicted for the season. Guess I’m going to have to wait until the Coach Cal’s womens clinic to see the team up close. Like I’ve said before……The President and the VIce President of the US doesn’t get to travel together. I think we might have to think about Matt and Drew traveling together. Have fun but be safe!

31. Rob Foushee
    10:49 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

There is a big difference between hyping last years team and this one. Last year was entirely based off high school and AAU performance, and in all honesty we could see the cracks in the pre-season exhibitions and November/December regular season.
    This is a completely different scenario. We have seen the vast majority of these players at their best and worst on a college level. The freshman do not show the same weaknesses, not because they are better but they have people on the team to look to for guidance, a concept whose value can not be overrated.
    ENJOY THIS BBN! This team is very good and going to get better. Don’t worry about getting over excited, if it all falls apart BBN will be there with a shoulder to cry on, but think I this is going to be a very fun ride so you may as well enjoy it from the beginning.

32. Ernest T Bass
    10:50 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

The Bahamian Band needs Freddie Fleet and His Band With a Beat.

33. houndstooth
    10:51 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

Matt are you sure you want ice in your soft drinks? You’re not suppose to drink the water when in other countries!

• BlueRedNeck
      11:03 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

Yep, exhibit A on why I chose to drink canned or bottled beer when I went on a cruise.

34. houndstooth
    10:57 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

Why isn’t AP playing the 3?

35. Travis
    10:59 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

The concession stand prices increase over time similar to the Barnstorming Tour memorabilia.

36. CATS
    11:02 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

I’m guilty just as everyone else is, but it seems like year after year we stay almost far too optimistic with the potential in our teams, and several times have been let down in the past. (Not necessarily Cal era whatsoever but for past years in general). But this year it just seems different. It’s not opinionated optimism, it’s more realistic than it has been in previous years. Not many teams, even NBA, have the ability to substitute 5 in for you starters and not miss a beat. I think this is the most obvious year us Cats fans can’t be ridiculed for talking about this team the way we are.

37. Brisco71
    11:02 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

What channel on IHeart can I listen to the game?

38. Swamp Donkey
    11:04 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

630 wlap

39. 5000
    11:07 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

If you listen on I-heart the guy doing the red steak BBQ ads sounds just like Gary.

40. BlueRedNeck
    11:07 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

Matt would not agree with the iHeart commercial about Led Zeppelin.

41. JamesPenningtonsSideburns
    11:08 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

Did the Bahamian Drum Kids tickets get stolen for the remainder of the games? Didn’t see (or hear) them on the broadcast yesterday.

More importantly is Rasdeniro the Bahamian Tourism Ambassador investigating why Jay Bilas was relegated to a sub-Atlantis resort?

42. Chaz
    11:09 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

Bahamian rhapsody, 1$ courtside menu, Cal’s moonlighting for ESPN, Robic’s getting beach hair, Cal says KP should take the team over, Matt meets the new voice same as the old voice, Cats beat the snot out of a good French pro team, and Matt & Drew get up close and personal with Nassau from an S10 truck bed. Are you guys ever gonna have some fun this summer?

43. UKCrewser
    11:12 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

Is the post-game on I-heart or some magical UK website/station link? (my name is Gary, I think there is some sort of harassment suit coming)

44. Zack
    11:13 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

I bet Slice has felt like he hit the lottery ever since he set foot in the bluegrass.

45. Flo Rida
    11:13 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

We have to keep the platoon system. We have limited drop off and by the 2nd half every team we play will be done.

46. UKCrewser
    11:14 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

Platoon vs. Transy…..

47. C_Cov
    11:15 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

I love the Platoon

48. DirtyMind
    11:16 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

I bet JT’s gone all the way down before, Drew.

49. Ned Stark
    11:17 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

The team Morehead beat was actually called the Pyramid Food Rockets…

50. UKCrewser
    11:17 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

Fungyun’s?

51. NashBlue
    11:17 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

Per the Morehead State website
    Pronunciation of his last name is “FUDGE-INS”

52. Zack
    11:17 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

Watch out.. The platoons are coming

53. bung
    11:18 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

2nd five broke the game open…

54. Farmer Fran
    11:19 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

Hey Gary it doesnt matter where someone went to school. Home is where you make it, errbody know that.

55. Blue Lights Across KY Spot
    11:21 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

I love making Matt sound like a nerd by speeding up his voice.

56. Chris
    11:22 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

Moon-Lite BBQ on Travel Channel right now. #3 BBQ Place in America.

• Jimtown Catfan
      11:59 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

Moonlite is way overrated. Not even the best BarBQ in Owensboro.
      Moonlite is the place to go if you like all the sides and deserts, but for straight up BarBQ (mutton,pork, ribs, burgoo) Old Hickory is the best. And Old Hickory by default since Shady Rest is no longer in business. Ask any Owensboro native and I bet Old Hickory wins out for best BarBQ. Moonlite is the place visited by tourists hence the rating.

• jjk
      1:14 pm August 12, 2014 Permalink

For some really good BBQ, travel down the road to Henderson & get some Thomason’s BBQ. Make sure you get a side of BBQ beans, they are awesome.

57. Armand Young
    11:29 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

Indiana should be rejoicing that we dont play them every year.

58. houndstooth
    11:30 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

was that gary busey that called earlier?

59. UKCrewser
    11:30 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

Will Willie and Trey mess up the chemistry? Gotta have’em, just saying….

60. Bob Cobb
    11:39 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

… it isn’t scary that there are no open practice updates because… the open practice doesn’t start until 3:30pm.

61. Ryan & Jared:

How about mixing old school and new school: the old power K logo on the chrome helmet? The power K was a MUCH better logo than the interlocking UK.

62. true blue fan
    12:25 pm August 12, 2014 Permalink

I agree with Danny, I support ALL UK teams, and as excited as I am for basketball season I’m just as excited for football season. When this team takes off a sleeping giant will awake