Recapping a great day for UK fans (Wednesday Show Thread)

On today’s edition of Kentucky Sports Radio radio, Matt Jones and Ryan Lemond will celebrate Tuesday’s events, beginning with the punishment handed down to Louisville and then concluding with Kentucky’s big win at Arkansas. They will have lots to say about both, so be sure to tune in.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Drew Franklin

94 Comments for Recapping a great day for UK fans (Wednesday Show Thread)

1. I’ll just leave this right here (be sure to read the credits at the end):

2. runningunnin.454
    9:56 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

Last night was sweeeeeet!

3. Realme
    9:59 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

Yesterday WAS a great day. I have this problem though. Every time I pass a Louisville fan co-worker (there’s only a few thankfully), I can’t keep the smirk off my face.

• secrick
      10:00 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

I saw keep SMILING.

10:10 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

Matt probably had the same problem passing Captain Suntan in the hallways. 🙂

• runningunnin.454
      10:10 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

Smirk, and the world smirks with you.

• J-Dub421
      10:11 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

Doesn’t sound like a problem at all.

• ClutchCargo
      10:38 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

Realme, those card fans’ problem is that someone keeps smirking at them at work. As if they didn’t have enough problems already. 🙂

4. secrick
    9:59 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

Great game, everyone played hard.

5. Realme
    10:02 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

So. What’s their probation status? I’m sure they’ll still be on it when the new investigation concludes… Not sure how they’d get any coach or recruits in the near future. But then again, I thought Rick would have trouble recruiting after his restaurant snafu.

• ClutchCargo
      10:05 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

Good question. I’m sure it wouldn’t be too hard to look up what the NCAA handed down last year, but the media keeps focusing only on the banner and vacated wins. Whatever it is, it’s nothing compared to what’s coming next.

• Davenport seems to be doing better than expected. I would think they would just keep him.

10:14 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

cg, do you mean Padgett? Davenport is the coach at Bellarmine. He might actually be a good hire for UL if they could convince him to come.

• Yeah, whatever the current coach’s name is. lol

6. RealCatsFan
    10:12 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

Biggest improvement that I saw last night was the passing. They played much more unselfishly. Hopefully the light came on for them.

Rebounding was also great. Not sure if our defense was great or Arkansas just got rattled and played poorly. I’ll give the Cats the credit that they forced the piggie’s poor play.

7. secrick
    10:18 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

They sure looked tired and you would think they would be in great condition.

• runningunnin.454
      10:25 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

I heard Anderson ask them during a timeout if they were tired, and said “sit down then”. Maybe he shouldn’t wear a wire.

8. DrSayre
    10:18 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

Matt had to imply Drew is going to the Pitino Press Conference, right?

• Realme
      10:19 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

That would be so very very fantastic.

9. runningunnin.454
    10:18 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

What I thought was funny is that Arkansas was knocking down three’s; their coach was wired, and he kept telling them to stop shooting three’s. They ignored him the whole first half; but, they stopped shooting threes in the 2nd half, and couldn’t score. Ha ha.

• “You’re settling for jump shots!”

10:28 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

They were taking a lot of ill-advised shots in the second half. Jacking up guarded, off-balance jumpers. Kind of what the Cats were doing before they figured out how to move on offense, space properly, and share the ball.

10. secrick
    10:20 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

Wasn’t for sue ole Anderson was going to shake Cals hand at the end of the game but he did a quick one.

10:25 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

That’s his usual MO, isn’t it? The blow-by. I think Crean was pretty good with that back in the day too.

• ClutchCargo
      10:51 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

Pitino would have gotten himself tossed before the end of the game so he wouldn’t have to deal with it at all.

11. Not all the Unforgettables were from Kentucky. Sean Woods was from Indiana.

• runningunnin.454
      10:40 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

And, thank you Indiana for Kyle Macy…appreciate that.

• J-Dub421
      11:08 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

And Trey Lyles and Marques Teague.

• ClutchCargo
      2:06 pm February 21, 2018 Permalink

Roger Harden, Jim Master…

12. Realme
    10:21 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

When we were down 11, I muted the announcers and exited Twitter. Immediately they started rebounding and defending and making it a ballgame. So of course I did my duty and watched the rest of the game in silence.

10:26 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

Nice work!

• runningunnin.454
      10:27 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

Can’t believe you watched the game in silence; I was yelling at TV Ref the whole game; what a dud.

• Realme
      10:31 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

It was interesting to just watch and not be influenced by announcers or tweeters. But I don’t necessarily want to have to do that again.

• BTownUKFan
      2:55 pm February 21, 2018 Permalink

I generally keep the sound muted. The announcers don’t add much to the game and if it’s dickie V. he spends most of his time talking about something else in a voice like fingernails on a chalkboard. Occasionally i will turn on the radio, it’s at least 20 seconds ahead of the TV so i know when the shots are going to go in. Last night I was late getting home, we were down 11-3 when I turned on the TV. I take full credit for the comeback :).
      GO CATS !!

13. secrick
    10:23 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

So is it right that the punishment Louisville got yesterday has nothing to do with this pay for play thing and there will be more to come..

• Realme
      10:24 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

10:27 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

The only thing the Card fans have to cling to right now is the hope that the FBI investigation will grow to include other programs, including UK’s. That is ALL they have left!

• runningunnin.454
      10:29 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

I heard the Smithsonian turned down the banner…said it wasn’t real. Ha Ha.

• J-Dub421
      11:10 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

RG, they should give it to Ripley’s Believe It Or Not…

• runningunnin.454
      11:19 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

Oh Boy, JD…that is toooo good. Well done.

• That is funny JDub!

14. RealCatsFan
    10:30 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

Love hearing Matt whispering about the investigation. How great would it be to get to watch dook fry while UK is not involved with the FBI investigation? Add Kansas and UNCheat to that group, and I would be in paradise!

• J-Dub421
      10:32 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

I think Matt is right. Caple came to Duke after getting fired for a recruiting scandal, and all of a sudden, Duke is getting ALL of the players.

• Realme
      10:44 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

I got a perfect score!

15. Dubai_Bryan
    10:41 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

Don’t forget the 2012 Final Four banner also came down yesterday!

16. Realme
    10:45 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

Can you imagine not having won a championship since 1986? Why still have a program?

• ClutchCargo
      10:52 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

Even IU thinks that’s a long time. Ha!

17. bluedoubledog
    10:55 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

What if Pitino is going to throw Kentucky under the bus at 3:00?

• ClutchCargo
      10:56 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

Pitino has lost every last shred of credibility that he may or may not have had before all of this.

• ClutchCargo
      10:57 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

He is literally a less reliable source than Katina Powell. Think about that for a second.

18. RealCatsFan
    10:55 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

Matt is in rare form up on his soapbox.

• Realme
      10:58 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

Matt on a Louisville rant is my favorite Matt.

19. RealCatsFan
    10:57 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

I have a lot of friends and family who are UofL fans (including my dad), and for the good people that I know who are also UL fans, I feel bad for them. That was a highlight moment for them as basketball fans, and now it is tarnished forever – and it wasn’t their fault. Not ALL of their fans were saying all the “PayPal Cal” crap.

• secrick
      11:03 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

Yep i also have some good friends that are card fans but if it was us they would be giving it to me today so i let them have it just a little. All in good fun. But i have also been giving it to some of the card fans that are not my friends pretty hard.

20. secrick
    11:05 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

Is Pitino having a press conf. today and if so why would anyone believe a word he says? I can hear him now, I just wanted to let you know that i cheated while i was at Ky to.

21. Realme
    11:10 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

Rick is not capable of humility or being conciliatory.

11:13 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

Who do you think is less capable of it – RP or our POTUS?

• J-Dub421
      11:17 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

Toss up, both seem allergic to the truth.

• Realme
      11:17 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

Is the sky blue, or is it blue?

11:25 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

Could you imagine how entertaining it would be if Pitino spent all morning on Twitter while he sat on the throne like someone else we know? 😉

• Hey, knock it off! I love me some covfefe! 🙂

22. RealCatsFan
    11:14 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

I was away from home during most of the first half and did not tape the game. Where can I find it online so I can watch our comeback from 11 down?

• runningunnin.454
      11:22 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

They might show it on ESPN 2, or SEC network.

11:30 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

Wasn’t there a web site that had them? UKBasketballLive or something like that?

• Realme
      11:34 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

There was, RCF, but I don’t know if that’s still a thing. I’m sure it’s out there online, but most of them do replay on tv as RG mentioned.

• Oh my goodness, that site has been shut down. I had no idea until just now! The last time I went there he had said copyright holders had started making him take down some recent games, and now this:

“This site has been shut down.
      The copyright holders told us that we must stop, so we are complying.

Thank you to everyone that has supported us.”

Now I know why he stopped posting the link to his site in the comments of the Live Blog. I had thought about going back and downloading some of the games and put it off. Oh well.

There are others who load games on YouTube, but just not at the rate Neal did. *sigh*

• 4everUKblue
      1:48 pm February 21, 2018 Permalink

Yeah I was really disappointed after the last game, I was going to download it and watch it again since I cut the cord I stream everything. If anyone knows somewhere else to download the games please let me know.

23. J-Dub421
    11:16 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

Can I just say that I freaking love Quade Green? Because I do.

11:24 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

Just imagine how good he would be with his shades on.

• secrick
      11:29 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

He was great before the back injury and needed some time to heal and now he is doing great again.

• J-Dub421
      11:31 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

I like all of our players usually (there have been very rare exceptions), but I think Quade is my favorite this year.

• runningunnin.454
      11:35 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

Quade and SGA are the dynamic duo; but, I said before the season started that Vando was the man, and he’s proving it.
      Also happy to see Kevin get off the 3 line, and take it into the paint. All our shots don’t have to be 3’s.

• J-Dub421
      11:39 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

I was happy to see Kevin be more aggressive and go get his shots. When Knox decides to take over a game a go score, no one can stop him.

11:41 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

Knox is just so silky smooth when his shot is on – especially that little floater in the lane. It’s just one smooth motion, and it’s a thing of beauty when it swishes through the hoop without even touching the rim.

• Someone in the comments once said Jared should play the point. I’ve heard crazier ideas. I like it!

One problem with that to me is that it would take away some of his rebounding opportunities, but boy, can he pass! That bounce pass between the two players on the break a week or two ago was amazing. Can you imagine us having a 6’9″ point guard that no one can guard? Can you say Magic? The other problem too, though, is he would have to develop some kind of offensive game. He’s not Magic when it comes to that.

Also, if Shai & Quade come back next year, they’ll be lights out. However, I could see Jared as a backup PG if we have ppl in foul trouble.

• RCF, I keep saying that when Knox’s shot goes in the net never moves.

24. Realme
    11:25 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

Why is Matt all twisted up about Mingione? Cal never answers that question definitively. It’s not smart business.

11:38 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

Are there rumors floating around that he is leaving?

• Realme
      11:41 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

No. Matt’s just bothered that when asked last night, Coach didn’t flat out say he wouldn’t leave for that job.

11:42 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

Wouldn’t that be about the same thing as if someone asked Stoops if he would consider the job at Alabama if he had a shot at it?

25. J-Dub421
    11:37 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

I really hope that Hami starts playing better. He works hard, and he’s trying really hard. He’s a good kid, and he wants it so badly. I feel bad for him watching him struggle. If a couple of his shots will just fall for him, I think he’d relax and all would be well.

11:40 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

I can’t read Hami’s mind, but I wonder if he is worried about his NBA stock falling. If so, I think he would do well to try to forget about that and just focus on playing hard, playing smart, and being a great teammate. That is the advice that I give all the kids that I coach, and I have found that when they do this, things seem to take care of themselves.

• Not to mention that if he has to hang around 1 more year, his stock could still take off next year if he becomes the player we thought he would be.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:58 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

How do we know he is in the “good kid” category? I feel like he was talking back to Cal often last night…

26. Laker Cat 18
    11:57 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

I just want to say this. I unfollowed Rex Chapman a few months back. Now I’m going to have to start unfollowing those who are retweeting him. He is getting more and more annoying by the day…and I really hate to say that because I like him as a player and he is a Cat for life. They made a very big mistake eliminating Oscar for him.

• UK Big Board Update
      1:55 pm February 21, 2018 Permalink

Because he thinks Trump is an idiot? Thats on you.