Recapping a fun Derby weekend (Monday Show Thread)

@Bradley_Cn2

Good morning, friends and welcome to the Monday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio, or as it should be today, Story Time Sports Radio. Matt and Ryan attended several of the Derby festivities this weekend, which means it’s time to pull up your mat for story time.

They’ll also discuss what happened with Jaylen Brown, whether or not the 2015 recruiting class is finished, and a big week on the show, which includes Wednesday’s GOP Gubernatorial Debate and Karl Towns possibly hosting on Thursday.

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

WLSI (900am) Pikeville
WPRT (960am): Prestonsburg
WSFC (1240am): Somerset
WTCW (920am): Whitesburg
WHAY (98.3fm): Whitley City
WBTH (1400am): Williamson

On Delay (ALL TIMES LISTED EASTERN)…

WVHI (1330am): Evansville, IN, 5-7pm
WMTL (870am): Leitchfield, 11am-1pm
WLBQ (1570am): Morgantown, 3-5pm
WRIL (106.3fm): Middlesboro, Thur 8-10pm

25 Comments for Recapping a fun Derby weekend (Monday Show Thread)

1. UK_JB
    9:55 am May 4, 2015 Permalink

If you missed Ryan’s show on Double Q on Friday it was gold. Can we get John Shorts drop of Rip the knob off? That was gold!

Anyone win anything Saturday?

2. Big Curt
    10:13 am May 4, 2015 Permalink

Happy Star Wars Day

May the Fourth be with you.
    Sorry for the bad pun, but this is a place for bad puns. lol

3. Realme
    10:13 am May 4, 2015 Permalink

Even if recruiting is over, I Like My Team.

• millerkc
      10:31 am May 4, 2015 Permalink

I like our team as well. Although I would like to see Ulis, Briscoe, Poythress, Lee, and Skal as my starting 5. I don’t want to see Lee coming off the bench like most people are projecting. Poythress has had a decent but not great 3 point shot, and Skal can step out a little a shoot the midrange. I know Lee is limited offensively, but they are all quick and our rebounding would be so much better with another big as opposed to a smaller lineup.

• UKfaninLou
      11:20 am May 4, 2015 Permalink

millerkc, I totally agree with you on the starting lineup. I think Marcus Lee will prove to be awesome when he gets regular minutes. I’m sorry we missed out on all those elite guys but overall am happy with the guys we have. As long as AP is healthy and Skal is eligible from the start, I think we’ll have a great season with these kids who WANT to be Wildcats!

• Mc12
      11:42 am May 4, 2015 Permalink

I disagree. I feel like you always need a shooter on the court. If Briscoe can be that guy fine. However, I just don’t think with the roster as it is, that Lee can start. There would be absolutely no depth in the front court. I know we have Willis, but he has to prove he can be solid on defense to play for a Calipari coached team. Lee will still get 20 plus minutes a game.

Poythress is a better 4 than a 3 because he is poor off the dribble, and can serve a similar role as Terrence Jones did for AD.

4. Jirow
    10:26 am May 4, 2015 Permalink

Do you think that 678 Winky Face thought the same thing when talking about Cal(the man, and the University), or was it just to string BBN along?

5. millerkc
    10:28 am May 4, 2015 Permalink

The guy was asking, based on the talent for that specific year and not winning it all. Like Illinois the year they had Deron Williams.

6. Bourbonella
    10:30 am May 4, 2015 Permalink

Don was depressing!

7. Cat House
    10:31 am May 4, 2015 Permalink

D=Dumb, O=Obnoxious, N=Negative.

8. millerkc
    10:34 am May 4, 2015 Permalink

The big plus (if you are trying to be optimistic) to missing on these big recruits is that Hawkins and Willis will get opportunities they probably wouldn’t have if a couple of these big names committed to us. I love to see the Kentucky boys make an impact.

• Realme
      10:40 am May 4, 2015 Permalink

Agreed, I think they will be able to contribute consistently. One, they will be working this summer to be ready, and two, they will come off the bench regularly, and hopefully get into a flow this year.

9. J-Dub421
    10:45 am May 4, 2015 Permalink

If Jaylen Brown can’t handle media and fan attention now, then what’s going to happen when he gets to the NBA?

• ukbradstith
      11:02 am May 4, 2015 Permalink

It won’t be nearly as much in the NBA as it as UK, unless he’s an elite superstar.

• J-Dub421
      11:16 am May 4, 2015 Permalink

That’s what he wants to be and thinks he will be. Which is why I don’t understand choosing California.

10. Kyle
    10:48 am May 4, 2015 Permalink

The only reason that song is #1 is because it is from the end of Furious 7 and a tribute to Paul Walker.

11. Realme
    11:33 am May 4, 2015 Permalink

Taken for a ride by a couple of Louisville people probably is a pretty good description of what happened. I’m over the DA comments, but even the “apology” open letter sounded kind of arrogant in spots. Scolding people for the bad reaction he got from some of BBN.

• J-Dub421
      11:42 am May 4, 2015 Permalink

It really annoys me that several former players (especially from the Pitino era) try to speak for all of the BBN. If you want to voice your opinion then fine, but don’t presume to speak for me.

• Realme
      11:49 am May 4, 2015 Permalink

Yeah, me too. We are a such a widely varied bunch that absolutely no one can claim to speak for us, but if one’s ego is gigantic enough, they can think otherwise.

12. JoeMoney333
    11:35 am May 4, 2015 Permalink

Worst apology letter ever.

13. J-Dub421
    11:39 am May 4, 2015 Permalink

I don’t know that I have ever heard Coach Cal throw a player under the bus or publicly criticize a player the way that Derek Anderson did.

• ukjaybrat
      11:52 am May 4, 2015 Permalink

he wasn’t exactly praising ryan harrow in the last few months of the ’13 season

• J-Dub421
      12:00 pm May 4, 2015 Permalink

But I felt like Cal tried to shelter Harrow as much as he could. They got Hawkins to sit on his announcement for a few weeks until after Harrow announced he was transferring.

14. Cat House
    11:45 am May 4, 2015 Permalink

Silly to do this ridiculous debate on a sports show. Only 1 million registered Republicans in Kentucky out of 4 million total population. Consequently only 25% of the population would have any reason at all to listen.

• ukjaybrat
      11:51 am May 4, 2015 Permalink

i don’t care about politics in general. but it’s not like we are in a very interesting time of year with a lot of things to cover. if matt wants to have a debate, let him have his debate,. what does it matter if we miss out on yet another day of analyzing the incoming freshman or being butthurt over the wisconsin loss. i’m sure he can afford to “throw away” a day this summer to something unrelated to sports.