Recapping a crazy news weekend (Monday Show Thread)

Image via @BleacherReport

Image via @BleacherReport

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Monday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, Matt, Ryan, Drew and Shannon will recap a crazy busy weekend in UK sports, which included a big win at Georgia, the All-Star festivities, and the huge Boogie to New Orleans trade. Seriously, there is so much news to talk about this morning that the guys might even stay on topic for once. (Maybe)

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

affiliate-list

41 Comments for Recapping a crazy news weekend (Monday Show Thread)

1. CATandMONKEY
    10:04 am February 20, 2017 Permalink

Zero percent chance they stay on topic but I would be disappointed if they did. Where is the fun in that?
    The Boogie trade makes for some crazy possibilities. Looking forward to watching some Pelicans games.

• runningunnin.454
      10:09 am February 20, 2017 Permalink

The Kings gave away the family farm…but, go Pelicans.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:13 am February 20, 2017 Permalink

Kings really did get very little in return. N.O. needs a little more in the backcourt but at the very least the Big Easy should get some exciting entertainment.

• J-Dub421
      10:24 am February 20, 2017 Permalink

The NO/Kings trade just shows how very inept the Kings management really is.

• ukjaybrat
      10:42 am February 20, 2017 Permalink

last night it was reported that NO was sending a 2019 draft pick too. that would have been a bit more in favor for the kings. but based on what i’m hearing this morning, yeah that kings got duped.

• Booby Petrino
      11:03 am February 20, 2017 Permalink

I don’t think they got duped, there was no deception here. I think they are just inept like J Dub said. Which is why they still suck and will for a long time.

2. Realme
    10:05 am February 20, 2017 Permalink

So happy that Boogie is free. But not sure why the Pelicans went after him when they already have AD. Shouldn’t they be working on their back court instead?

• bhb71
      10:16 am February 20, 2017 Permalink

They do need help in their backcourt, but when you have the opportunity to put together one of the greatest frontcourts in history, you have to take it.

• Realme
      10:18 am February 20, 2017 Permalink

Maybe as Matt said, they have their eye on Wall next year. (oh please oh please oh please).

• Laker Cat 18
      10:19 am February 20, 2017 Permalink

I didn’t really understand the need for two big guys of that caliber either. I do like the fact they kept Jrue Holiday. He’s one of my favorite PG’s in the league. (He missed a lot of time earlier this season when his wife had brain surgery. Took the time off to be with his family.) He can score and can dish the rock very well. Need one more guy at least though. They should have plenty of open spots to draft now.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:22 am February 20, 2017 Permalink

Could the payrolll handle those three salaries? I claim total ignorance in this regard.

• runningunnin.454
      10:24 am February 20, 2017 Permalink

The Pelicans need Brandon Knight; not sure why the Suns loaded up on guards.
      The worst trade lately was Durant to the Warriors; GS is the Yankees of basketball….best team money can buy.

• J-Dub421
      10:27 am February 20, 2017 Permalink

I think the same thing every time the 76er’s draft another center or forward….

• ukjaybrat
      10:31 am February 20, 2017 Permalink

they are all getting paid. but if they restructure and take a little less money in order to play together a la miami and golden state and cleveland, no reason they can’t.

• @GoCayts
      11:11 am February 20, 2017 Permalink

Free agent guards after this year: http://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/guard/

• J-Dub421
      11:41 am February 20, 2017 Permalink

NOLA needs a shooter. They should rescue Jodie Meeks from Orlando. He’d be a decent bargain too.

3. runningunnin.454
    10:05 am February 20, 2017 Permalink

Managed to get through the 1st half of the All-Star game; but, the defense was underwhelming.
    At least, they try to play the game in the baseball all-star game.
    Congrats to AD, but Wilt scored 100 pts in one game, and I think the Knicks were actually trying to play defense.

• I remember Joe Morgan talking about how they wanted to win the All Star game, and that one reason it’s not so much that way is because the NL and AL don’t have separate offices any more (not to mention no inter-league play).

He said one year the NL president (I don’t remember the name) came in the clubhouse before the game and started firing them up and telling them why they had to beat the AL.

• @GoCayts
      11:07 am February 20, 2017 Permalink

You should read up on the Wilt 100 point game, the entire end of the game was garbage as they fouled while winning to give him more possessions

4. Laker Cat 18
    10:13 am February 20, 2017 Permalink

I couldn’t be more happier for Boogie. I’m glad he’s finally out of that H3!!-hole in Sacramento.

5. CATandMONKEY
    10:26 am February 20, 2017 Permalink

There is another artist who goes by the moniker “Peaches”. Slightly different style, heh and definitely NSFW.

6. J-Dub421
    10:43 am February 20, 2017 Permalink

Two MVP performances at the all-star game by former Wildcats. How underwhelming. 😉

7. runningunnin.454
    11:07 am February 20, 2017 Permalink

The UK-Georgia was the best game of the night….Vitale seemed to enjoy it; gutsy efforts by UK seniors and Fox down the stretch…also by Frazier for the Dogs.
    The North Carolina-Virginia game was a stinker.

• Booby Petrino
      11:12 am February 20, 2017 Permalink

Virginia is tanking. They just chuck up threes and if they aren’t falling, they can’t compete.

8. Realme
    11:24 am February 20, 2017 Permalink

That dude that played Jesus in Passion of the Christ can said shit multiple times on stage at Southland. They might be harder to offend than you think.

9. Laker Cat 18
    11:25 am February 20, 2017 Permalink

There are many mixed feelings on the performance of Isaiah Briscoe. SEC Country posted this article:

What are your thoughts following ANOTHER 4 turnover performance at Georgia? I’m telling you, when Briscoe turns the ball over, the Cats chances go WAY down. He’s the leader, they feed off him.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:28 am February 20, 2017 Permalink

Now, I don’t think he should be benched. But I do think the situation needs to be evaluated when if turnovers are made early in the game at the hands of Briscoe. He had 9 points & 6 rebounds. In my mind, you can cancel out 8 of those point simply because of turnovers. Production has been limited the past 6 games outside of Tennessee at home.

• J-Dub421
      11:35 am February 20, 2017 Permalink

I like Briscoe’s toughness, and it’s something this team needs. He didn’t shoot well Saturday, but he still rebounded and played defense, etc. Fox also had 4 turnovers and Bam had 3. It’s not like Briscoe was to only player who was turnover prone. Briscoe has been clutch late in games too. (Not Sat. because he’d fouled out.)

• Booby Petrino
      11:43 am February 20, 2017 Permalink

if we cancel points for turnovers Fox would be benched too by your logic. Turnovers for this season: Briscoe 66, Fox 60. Points per game: Briscoe 13.6, Fox 15.6.

• Booby Petrino
      11:44 am February 20, 2017 Permalink

sorry, I see where you say you don’t think he should be benched.

• Realme
      11:44 am February 20, 2017 Permalink

He’s been extremely important in some earlier games, and I’d rather see him play through this than get benched. But I am glad Cal is trusting Dom more to help out in the same sort of roll when Briscoe is playing poorly.

• Realme
      11:47 am February 20, 2017 Permalink

BP, to your point, I think it’s weird that Fox is also a bad shooter, who gets in a turnover rut, and you’d never see the same articles about him, because we focus on his strong points unlike with Briscoe.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:50 am February 20, 2017 Permalink

Past 9 games:

Fox averaging 2 turnovers per game.
      Briscoe averaging 4 turnovers per game.

Ironcially, Briscoe’s two worst games in that stretch are the two that Fox was limited or DNP in. South Carolina (7 TO), Georgia (1st meeting – 6 TO). He knew he was going to have to carry the weight in his absence. Like I’ve mentioned many times, my opinion is that Briscoe psychs himself out for big opportunities.

• Realme
      11:52 am February 20, 2017 Permalink

Briscoe definitely psychs himself out. I think it’s why he went from being a good shooter to a poor shooter (except for the earlier part of this season).

• Laker Cat 18
      11:54 am February 20, 2017 Permalink

I think the key to keep in mind between the Fox & Briscoe argument is a very bad game for Fox is 4 TOs, but a very bad game for Briscoe is 7 TOs. That’s a huge difference. Briscoe is a better rebounder, gives more effort. Fox shoots slightly better. Turnovers simply take credibility away from all the other stats they accumulate in my opinion. For some reason, those 8 rebounds from Briscoe or those 15 points from Fox don’t mean as much following 5 turnovers.

10. Laker Cat 18
    11:33 am February 20, 2017 Permalink

I had the chance to hear many coaches speak at the Nike Coach of the Year clinic in Louisville this weekend. Butch Jones (UT), David Shaw (Stanford), Kirk Ferentz (Iowa), Sanford (WKU), Hinshaw, Jim McElwain (UF), Bronco Mendenhall (Virginia), House, etc.

Surprise of the day was Jones. I’d send any of my players to play for him. Bust for me was McElwain. While I’m sure he’s a good coach in his own way, I wouldn’t send my kids to play for him if they had other opportunities.

11. J-Dub421
    11:37 am February 20, 2017 Permalink

Kyrie Irving – breaking the myth that all Duke players are smart.

12. RealCatsFan
    11:38 am February 20, 2017 Permalink

Just getting a chance to check KSR this morning. About to fall asleep at my desk – had to drive in from Gatlinburg volleyball tournament for the juniors team that I coach. Lost in the finals to a bunch of 14 year old Amazon women who apparently won the genetic lottery. I’m going to check some birth certificates the next time this happens! Hit the road at 9 PM, had to drive most of the way through pea soup fog, and my head hit the pillow at 1:30 AM. I’m getting too old for this!

However, I was happy that the Cats were finally able to beat the hex that they seemed to be mired in for the last 3 years – every time we traveled to the state of Tennessee for a vb tournament, it seemed like the Cats dropped a game. Looked like the hex was going to hold for much of the game Saturday. Bam and Fox were big for us down the stretch. This was a good learning game and confidence builder for the Cats.

13. RealCatsFan
    11:41 am February 20, 2017 Permalink

With the internet it seems like all the nut jobs have extra fuel for their “alternative facts” and theories. Some people apparently have a lot of time to sit around and drudge up this stuff. The should spend their time on something more productive, say, like KSR! 😀