Screen Shot 2016-01-30 at 9.52.16 PM

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Monday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, Matt and Ryan will recap Kentucky’s overtime loss to Kansas, which has Matt feeling very confident about Kentucky’s Final Four prospects. Tune in for that, a look ahead at a must-win game vs. Tennessee, and plenty of discussion about Shannon’s free-throw shooting practice:

Don’t let Lee mess too much with that stroke, Shannon! You got this.

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

WLSI (900am) Pikeville
WPRT (960am): Prestonsburg
WSFC (1240am): Somerset
WTCW (920am): Whitesburg
WHAY (98.3fm): Whitley City
WBTH (1400am): Williamson
PRTC TV Channels 209 & 409: Jackson & Owlsey Counties (Replayed at 1 and 6)

On Delay (ALL TIMES LISTED EASTERN)…

WVHI (1330am): Evansville, IN, 5-7pm
WMTL (870am): Leitchfield, 11am-1pm
WLBQ (1570am): Morgantown, 3-5pm
WRIL (106.3fm): Middlesboro, Thur 8-10pm
WWTF (1580am): Lexington, 4-6pm

64 Comments for Recapping a close loss to Kansas and looking ahead to Tennessee (Monday Show Thread)

1. UK_JB
    9:51 am February 1, 2016 Permalink

Disappointing loss, but glad we kept it some what close.

Nice job Shannon.

2. ukjaybrat
    9:57 am February 1, 2016 Permalink

The Cats played an amazing game Saturday night. If only Tyler wasn’t sick, or Kansas didn’t shoot so many free throws. Got to teach the guys that you can’t even look at the other player the wrong way when playing on the road. I thought the officiating through most of the game was actually pretty loose. They let both teams play for the most part. Then the whistle tightened in the last 10 minutes or so and we didn’t adjust. It really sucks, but there’s nothing we can do but move on to Tennessee.

I think the biggest thing we can take away from Saturday is that we took a team to overtime in their arena where no one can win. We are a great team and looking forward, we won’t have to play in the Phog in the tournament. We’re going to be a scary team in March and I don’t think anybody will want to see the Cats in their bracket.

• UKJAYBRAT,

What is that Gravatar BTW? When I zoom in it makes me think of the old “Big Blue Marble” show on PBS.

• ukjaybrat
      10:45 am February 1, 2016 Permalink

honestly… i don’t know lol. i think it just looked neat and it was my default gravatar when i created a wordpress account many moons ago and i never changed it.

3. CATandMONKEY
    9:58 am February 1, 2016 Permalink

Was generally very pleased with the UK performance Saturday. Disappointed in the final result but I did not lose sleep after that loss.

Our front court still needs to find a way to play tough and not foul but I believe that can be achieved by March.

• Sentient Third Eye
      10:02 am February 1, 2016 Permalink

It is impossible to play tough and not foul at Kansas. That’s why they never lose at home.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:13 am February 1, 2016 Permalink

I would like to see Louisville play at Kansas. With that press defense, I’ll bet Louisville would hold a 4:1 foul ratio.

10:13 am February 1, 2016 Permalink

At Kansas, agreed. Having 4 bigs foul out is pretty ridiculous. Glad we do not play any tournament games in Lawrence.

4. The Rest of the story
    10:10 am February 1, 2016 Permalink

Cats should have won but the refs just took the game away from us. There is no doubt that UK was really the better team and if they meet again the Cats win easy.

5. The Rest of the story
    10:10 am February 1, 2016 Permalink

Murray was not aggressive at all and feel the game was lost because of him.

10:15 am February 1, 2016 Permalink

I think we lost because of aliens…an equally valid observation.

10:23 am February 1, 2016 Permalink

To be fair, Murray’s D was suspect most of the game but I can’t put the loss entirely on Murray. The fouls, as you have mentioned, definitely played a role. One more basket from any UK player in regulation and we win. Numerous reasons for the loss and Murray’s suspect D was but one.

• Realme
      10:26 am February 1, 2016 Permalink

If you want to blame individual players (you shouldn’t, that was a team effort and definitely affected by the foul situation), blame the bigs. They get just a few rebounds in the second half and it’s a different game.

6. Laker Cat 18
    10:11 am February 1, 2016 Permalink

I still wonder why Briscoe has the ball in his hands, penetrating the lane with the game on the line in the final minutes. The odds of him going to the line are high and the odds of him hitting those free throws are very low.

• The Rest of the story
      10:13 am February 1, 2016 Permalink

Please do not fault Brisco. He played his ass off which is much more than Murray did.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:14 am February 1, 2016 Permalink

I’m not faulting Briscoe at all. I know he’s a terrible free throw shooter. I’m faulting Cal for leaving the ball in his hands. Murray can’t shoot if Briscoe and Ulis do not dish it.

7. Laker Cat 18
    10:15 am February 1, 2016 Permalink

I don’t remember the last game we had 3 players foul out. The foul ratio was insane.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:16 am February 1, 2016 Permalink

4 players I mean.

• The Rest of the story
      10:19 am February 1, 2016 Permalink

Yes Ellis with 2 fouls in the first half and none the rest of the game how sorry can officiating be.

• J-Dub421
      10:27 am February 1, 2016 Permalink

Ellis had 2 fouls in the first half, then did not pick up his 3rd until there were about 2 minutes left in overtime. Ridiculous.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:32 am February 1, 2016 Permalink

Ellis should be a top 5 pick if he can only accumulate 3 fouls in a 45 minute game. That in itself is impressive and shows how soft he really is.

10:35 am February 1, 2016 Permalink

Refs didn’t want to call a foul on a guy with a walker on the sidelines.

• J-Dub421
      10:39 am February 1, 2016 Permalink

Selden played 44 out of 45 minutes. He committed 0 fouls. That is a freaking joke.

8. houndstooth
    10:16 am February 1, 2016 Permalink

LSU got to 71 first and still lost to OK- thought the same would happen with UK!

What about the SEC and how they played against the Big 12? Could have and should have gone 4-1.

• jsh2001
      10:36 am February 1, 2016 Permalink

I thought the SEC represented themselves well, I’m sure most anyone without allegiance to the SEC will see the final number were 7-3 in advantage of the Big 12, but when two of those games could have gone the other way based on a last second shot it could have just as easily been 5-5.

9. The Rest of the story
    10:16 am February 1, 2016 Permalink

We did not lose because of Brisco so get off his back. Murray scores his average we win in regulation. Put the blame where it belongs.

10:29 am February 1, 2016 Permalink

We did not lose because of only Murray. Please get off his back. Put the blame where it belongs, on the team and coach.

• The Rest of the story
      10:36 am February 1, 2016 Permalink

Why are you here? Go back to loserville site please.

10:53 am February 1, 2016 Permalink

See how ignorant your comment appears? No, didn’t think so. What about my criticism of your inane comment would indicate Louisville fandom. I, along with every other reader on KSRdo not expect an intelligent nor relevant reply.
      As I have noted many times, you are not fit to carry Paul Harvey’s jock.

• J-Dub421
      10:57 am February 1, 2016 Permalink

Rest, you hate it when other commenters accuse you of being a U of L fan, so don’t do the same to another regular poster here.

• UK Big Board Update
      11:59 am February 1, 2016 Permalink

Jamal Murray is the first UK player to score at least 15 points in each of his first 6 career road games since Cotton Nash in 1961-1962.

10. The Rest of the story
    10:21 am February 1, 2016 Permalink

I bet Kansas scored more pts. the second half from FTs than FGs.

10:25 am February 1, 2016 Permalink

That was definitely the case during a 3-4 minute stretch in the second half.

• J-Dub421
      10:29 am February 1, 2016 Permalink

Kansas shot more free throws in the second half/overtime (29) than we shot in the game.

10:33 am February 1, 2016 Permalink

How many fouls called on Selden for the entire contest? I know he had zero assists. I guess you can do that when you put the ball in the bucket.

• J-Dub421
      10:43 am February 1, 2016 Permalink

Selden had zero fouls in the game, which is ridiculous. I was also annoyed that several offensive fouls were called on us that were very questionable, but they let Mason push off all game long and never called it.

11. jsh2001
    10:31 am February 1, 2016 Permalink

The real reason we lost was last weeks discussion about Willis not missing a free throw since his freshman year. It was a given he would miss the first free throw he attempted after it was brought up on the show, just turns out that one point was the difference in the game.

10:34 am February 1, 2016 Permalink

The KSR effect. Ha.

• The Rest of the story
      10:34 am February 1, 2016 Permalink

OMG are you serious? Blame Willis for 1 missed FT. Go away go far away.

10:37 am February 1, 2016 Permalink

Whoosh…over somebody’s head. He joked about the fact that Willis only missed because he was jinxed by KSR discussing it earlier in the week.

• jsh2001
      10:39 am February 1, 2016 Permalink

Rest of the story, your sarcasm detector must be off this morning.

• UK Big Board Update
      11:44 am February 1, 2016 Permalink

I can’t help but read “Rest/Story’s” comment in a think, uneducated hick accent. Anyone else have that problem?>

• UK Big Board Update
      11:45 am February 1, 2016 Permalink

thick, not think

12. The Rest of the story
    10:40 am February 1, 2016 Permalink

Kansas has the best crowd because it is a student oriented arena. UK is an old foggy oriented crowd at Rupp. Sadly this will never change until there is an on campus arena and that not gonna happen either.

10:45 am February 1, 2016 Permalink

Here is a comment with which I can mostly agree. Fogies do populate much of the lower arena and the atmosphere during lesser games is anything but intimidating.

Renovate Rupp with luxury boxes and club level seating for the crocheting fans that want others to sit down. Get the alcohol regulations changed to reflect the real world where any adult should be able to enjoy a beverage during the game.

• The Rest of the story
      10:49 am February 1, 2016 Permalink

Rupp is the worst arena for seating anywhere in the country. How long will UK put up with this antique poor ass excuse of an arena.

• UK Big Board Update
      11:54 am February 1, 2016 Permalink

Rest, how many arenas in the country have you been to?

13. The Rest of the story
    10:43 am February 1, 2016 Permalink

I also thought Ulis was fouled on that last play in regulation. No way that ball just shoots away from him like that.

14. RealCatsFan
    10:44 am February 1, 2016 Permalink

I thought Ulis got fouled on that play as well, but the overhead view made it look like he just lost the ball, if I recall correctly.

They also missed a call when a defender simply grabbed Ulis and would not let him move. It was like a cartoon, with him dribbling and his feet moving but going nowhere because a guy was holding him.

• The Rest of the story
      10:46 am February 1, 2016 Permalink

I never seen an overhead view of that. They showed the floor view numerous times but no overhead.

• jsh2001
      10:51 am February 1, 2016 Permalink

Yeah, I just went back on WatchESPN and watched it again. The only view they showed where you could tell what happened was the overhead and I didn’t see any foul, he just lost control. I think like Matt said, he was expecting Murray to be in the corner and when he realized he wasn’t it was too late. As soon as it happened he looked at Murray and pointed towards the corner, which would tend to agree the plan in Tyler’s head was to get Murray a look in the corner.

15. jman3715
    10:46 am February 1, 2016 Permalink

Jurich should call ServPro

16. J-Dub421
    10:51 am February 1, 2016 Permalink

Shannon is quite the sexist.

11:15 am February 1, 2016 Permalink

That and he has never seen any Star Wars movie should probably disqualify him from discussing any non-sports related topic.

17. J-Dub421
    11:02 am February 1, 2016 Permalink

I just went and checked the box score. We made more field goals than Kansas in the first half and had a lead at halftime. We made more field goals than they did in the second half, and again in overtime. Kansas literally won that game at the free throw line.

• Realme
      11:04 am February 1, 2016 Permalink

I hate to be one of those fans that blames the officials when their team loses, but I am kind of pissed today. I don’t mind that we lost, but I feel like my team got cheated somewhat. That said, at some point our bigs have got to figure out how to stay in the game.

• J-Dub421
      11:31 am February 1, 2016 Permalink

I wouldn’t be so pissed if Kansas shot 10-12 more free throws than we did. I expected them to shoot more free throws at home. But 25 more free throws is a pretty big discrepancy. I am not saying that we didn’t commit some fouls, but we don’t commit twice as many fouls as other teams. That is ridiculous.

18. millertime98
    11:20 am February 1, 2016 Permalink

While there were questionable calls (to say the least) KU ran the dribble drive on us and attacked to draw contact. Tyler and Murray pull up for jumpers, understable in Tyler’s case. Briscoe gets contact but can’t hit FT’s. Sometimes FT discrepancy is easily explained. Also, the only time we feed a post with their back to the basket is Alex and he immediately faces up, with good reason.

• J-Dub421
      11:26 am February 1, 2016 Permalink

Then why did we out-score them in the pain 36-26?

• J-Dub421
      11:32 am February 1, 2016 Permalink

In the paint. The pain is just mine.

19. CATandMONKEY
    11:32 am February 1, 2016 Permalink

Matt needs to update his Wendy’s ad copy. I think he is supposed to be pushing the Gouda Bacon Cheesburger at this time.

20. millertime98
    11:32 am February 1, 2016 Permalink

Some of Tyler’s points were pull ups in the paint. Also, put backs. I’m not saying they dominated the paint, I’m saying they got the ball there on us and drew fouls. If you count FT’s from in the paint fouls they probably outscored us.

21. CATandMONKEY
    11:35 am February 1, 2016 Permalink

Will someone be allowed to block STD’s free throw attempts?

• RealCatsFan
      11:40 am February 1, 2016 Permalink

Isn’t it ironic that Shannon The Dude’s initials coincide with the initials of his favorite band? (BTW, STP did NOT stand for Stone Temple Pilots originally ­čÖé )