Recapping a close loss and a 93-point win (Monday Show Thread)

Photo by UK Athletics

Photo by UK Athletics

Photo by UK Athletics

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Monday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, Matt, Ryan, and Drew will recap the football team’s loss to Georgia on Saturday, what it means going forward, and the basketball’s team’s 93-point rout over Asbury last night. Lots to talk about, so fill up that coffee cup and get settled in.

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

affiliate-list

83 Comments for Recapping a close loss and a 93-point win (Monday Show Thread)

1. runningunnin.454
    10:01 am November 7, 2016 Permalink

After a hard fought close loss there were a bunch of crybabies on here. The team’s no good; the coach stinks?
    There is great parity this year, and we are in the thick of it ; but these people can’t see that.
    Teams we’ve beaten have whipped Georgia, Tennessee, Texas A & M, and Vandy played Auburn’s butt off.
    One nut even wanted to leave the SEC, one of the best sports conferences in the country. Hah.
    These people are losers and quitters; hope we win out so we don’t hear from them again.

• J-Dub421
      10:15 am November 7, 2016 Permalink

Yeah, I avoided this site after the game because I didn’t feel like dealing with all the negative nellies.

• That one that said we should go to the AAC was a troll (or a nut like you said).

• ukjaybrat
      10:20 am November 7, 2016 Permalink

I’ve heard (somewhat) rational arguments saying we should go to the ACC because it would give us better competition in basketball and more reasonable competition in football. but the AAC? yeah, that was either a troll or a moron. But all of that still only looks at two sports. and the SEC is pretty dominant in many sports. This is the best place for UK.

• Yeah, he definitely said AAC. His rationale: Cal came closer to 40-0 at Memphis than he did at UK.

• ukjaybrat
      10:34 am November 7, 2016 Permalink

“Yeah, he definitely said AAC. His rationale: Cal came closer to 40-0 at Memphis than he did at UK.”

That’s not even true lol

• J-Dub421
      10:36 am November 7, 2016 Permalink

Memphis lost to Tennessee during the season, so that guy was straight up wrong.

• UK Big Board Update
      12:07 pm November 7, 2016 Permalink

BluKudzu November 5, 2016 at 5:14 pm | Permalink | Reply
      21-7. Go Hawgs!

BluKudzu November 6, 2016 at 6:07 pm | Permalink | Reply
      Like It (0)
      We were missing urgency. That is why we lost.

BluKudzu November 6, 2016 at 6:13 pm | Permalink
      Like It (0)
      Not Stoops’s fault. The team played without urgency. You can’t win without urgency, everybody knows that.

BluKudzu November 6, 2016 at 6:24 pm | Permalink
      Like It (0)
      Everyone knows it was not Stoops’s fault, you can’t win without urgency. It was the teams fault, not Stoops. If you knew anything about football, you would know urgency is the difference between winning and losing is playing with urgency.
      Stoops just needs more time to get better players that play with urgency. The last 4 recruiting classes did not get one player with urgency.
      He is doing it the right way. He knows what we need to do to win.

BluKudzu November 6, 2016 at 9:33 am | Permalink
      Today’s word: Urgency.
      UK football fans need to temper their sense of urgency to match the urgency of the UK football team and coaches. That way you will stop groveling in negativity.
      I think if we had worn the black helmets, we would have won.
      I suppose the whole field storming became a non issue? I was going to burn a couch in the parking lot, anyway. I will just save it for the Austin Peay game, then do it with urgency.
      We are better this year, we will be better next year. Somehow, this whole 4 years of top 30 recruiting classes and not being able to beat a team in the RPI top 50 will work it’s way out. No urgency needed.
      It is good to see the players and coaches, put this game behind them with a sense of urgency.

BluKudzu November 6, 2016 at 10:12 am | Permalink
      Like It (0)
      SEC dominance, thank you for your reply and sharing your insight, as emotional as it was.
      I have leveled my expectations with this staff and this team. Anyone, that thinks this team, and this coach would compete for an SEC East crown, is delusional, at best. This is the same coach, that had the easiest schedule in decades, last season, and could not get it to a bowl. Even thinking they would win 5 games in the SEC, after winning only 5 games all season for the last two years is insane.
      The only thing I asked from this team is to get rid of Eliot, and focus on the ground game. That started after the horrible beat down at Florida.
      When they do that they win. Deviation from either one, or both of those two points, they lose. Further, turnovers have killed this team all year. Not being able to coach that problem, out of this team, cost us last night.
      We are what we are. Accept it. It will always be like this, as there is no urgency, whatsoever, to change it.
      Lower you expectations. UK football, is Mitch Barnhart’s baby. Just keep going to the games, supporting the program, and get more mustard on your shi+ sandwich to mask the flavor. It never changes, the best we can do is a no name bowl, after 7 years of Mitch’s leadership.
      Go cats.

BluKudzu November 6, 2016 at 11:13 am | Permalink | Reply
      Like It (0)
      Stoops just needs more time. He is doing it the right way. We have cool marketing videos, and we have cool uniforms.
      We are going to win 6 this year, and go to a bowl.
      We are better than Joker’s teams. He ruined UK Football. Mitch Barnhart is a genious.
      Thank God he got rid of that women’s soccer coach who had a career winning record at UK, but had a bad season.
      Go Cats.

BluKudzu November 6, 2016 at 5:25 pm | Permalink | Reply
      Like It (0)
      If we play with urgency, we will win. If we, the fans, stay positive it helps to build the program. Stoops is doing it right, he just needs more time. Barnhart, hired the right guy.
      We just need to go back and work harder to get better.
      Go Cats.

• BluKudzu
      12:25 pm November 7, 2016 Permalink

I think UK Big Board Update is flirting with me.
      Just my luck. My rants on UK football, make me attractive to a white pasty male, mid 40s, who is fat,balding, that sits around in his tighty whities, wife beater and blue fluffy house shoes, in the backroom of his mother’s house trailer, using her desktop computer, while she handles the drive through window at Arby’s.
      Trust me, I am not criticizing his sexual orientation, I just want the poor fellow, seemingly enamoured, and totally devoted to me and my rants, to know I am hetero, so there is no chance, ok?
      She let’s him play here, because it keeps him out of her underwear drawer when she is working.
      Loser.

• UK Big Board Update
      12:44 pm November 7, 2016 Permalink

Cool story. What an imagination you have.

2. ukjaybrat
    10:03 am November 7, 2016 Permalink

Sad loss Saturday. we controlled almost the whole game until the last 10 minutes. It wasn’t a bad loss though. just saddening. We are going bowling, so I’m happy. But we had the opportunity to take the next step this year. And we still do really. a win @UT or @UL or in the bowl game would tell me we are continuing to improve.

• ukjaybrat
      10:04 am November 7, 2016 Permalink

Also, we are technically not eliminated from the sec east. albeit, i highly doubt Florida will lose at home to South Carolina.

• J-Dub421
      10:12 am November 7, 2016 Permalink

Going into the season I was calling the Georgia game a definite loss. We were right in it the whole game and forced them into a last second field goal in order to win. I can see the progress we’ve made and refuse to be discouraged. Go Cats!

• ukjaybrat
      10:18 am November 7, 2016 Permalink

It’ll be interesting to see what we can do next year when almost our entire offense returns with another year under their belt. and the schedule *should* favor us then.

• RealCatsFan
      10:19 am November 7, 2016 Permalink

Yep, several opportunities slipped away. Sometimes lady luck gives you the finger instead of smiling on you. Of course, we lived by the last second FG at USC, this week we died by it. Oh well, onward we march!

• CPACAT
      11:11 am November 7, 2016 Permalink

J-Dub421 “Going into the season I was calling the Georgia game a definite loss.” You have hit the nail on the head with this comment. This was a definite “L” for most of us even three or four weeks ago. The fact that we are lamenting a last second loss (really a game we should have won, in retrospect) is an absolutely amazing turn-around. I like our team…:)

3. Sentient Third Eye
    10:07 am November 7, 2016 Permalink

The key to the game was Kirby Smart’s 4th-quarter time out. Georgia could not stop Snell in the Wildcat. The timeout saved a game-winning Wildcat TD by giving his players a chance to settle down and to disrupt out momentum. Had we got another first down and burned another minute or so, game over.

• J-Dub421
      10:14 am November 7, 2016 Permalink

Badet dropping that pass that was right in his hands and having it bounce off him into the defender’s hands for an interception certainly didn’t help either.

• That INT was crazy. It was kind of like Auburn’s “Tip 6” for a TD against UGA a few years ago (the same year as the “Kick 6” against Bama), except this one went in UGA’s favor.

• Oh, and how about the gamut of emotions there, going from pumping the fist and thinking “Yes! TD! Unless there’s a shoestring tackle and it’s still a long completion!!!” to “NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”, all occurring in a span of about 2 seconds. Ugh.

• runningunnin.454
      10:28 am November 7, 2016 Permalink

Yeah, two “successful” pass plays, unfortunately, had bad endings. Turned the game around.

4. SEC East first place, we hardly knew ye.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:24 am November 7, 2016 Permalink

We had it for a couple of hours! The odds Florida loses against South Carolina is slim, but possible. Let’s just beat Tennessee and put us in the discussion.

5. cats paw
    10:19 am November 7, 2016 Permalink

what time does UK Big Board post all the previous comments of cheerleaders saying we have finally arrived and were going to beat Ga??? its my favorite part of the thread!!

• ukjaybrat
      10:21 am November 7, 2016 Permalink

oh hey, it’s cats paw. haven’t seen you in a few weeks? perhaps because we’ve been winning and you haven’t had anything bad to say about the team? i bet you must have been so bored without any trolling to do

• CP, I gave you a “Like” to show you there are no hard feelings (*coughcough*) and since this is the first time in a while you’ve popped in without someone calling you out!

• runningunnin.454
      10:25 am November 7, 2016 Permalink

Yep, one of the nuts I was talking about. Doesn’t know anything about football or basketball.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:29 am November 7, 2016 Permalink

It’s not enough that you wake each morning only to fully acknowledge that you are, indeed- a miserable piece of crap . . . You go the extra mile to post on-line and prove yourself, daily.
      Ad hominem fully deserved, in light of your arguments, temperament and supposed sage-ike wisdom.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:31 am November 7, 2016 Permalink

Sage-like; read: sagacious /S

• UK Big Board Update
      12:09 pm November 7, 2016 Permalink

cats paw July 5, 2016 at 2:31 pm | Permalink
      Like It (0)
      let me spell it out for you big board.. google the cheatingest college coach
      in America and your search results will show coach CAL!!! but thats cool isnt it,
      since he’s a winner! you just hate the fact that i told you 4 yrs ago exactly what
      would happen with this hire and i was exactly right, as always! maybe you could
      copy/paste those predictions for us all to see??

cats paw July 5, 2016 at 2:38 pm | Permalink
      The Sleaziest Coach in a Sleazy Game
      John Calipari and college basketball are a match made a few levels below heaven.
      …there are the search results for you hypocrites…. fyi, i hate the cards but if you
      want reality they will kill UK in football and also win in basketball this year.
      save that one to copy/paste later big board!!

cats paw February 27, 2016 at 10:20 pm | Permalink
      Like It (0)
      It’s not like you worship a site that constantly calls other teams players 21 feet of suck or anything is it? U can suspect anything you wish but yes I played college baseball and basketball but regardless of that……I could shoot better than Brickscoe when I was in grade school and thats just facts!! I don’t suspect you would call me a coward to my face either but that’s another story also.

Cats paw August 16, 2015 at 6:55 pm | Permalink
      Where do you see this improvement? I think they have had two practices thus far and played zero games! Could it just be in the homers heads? I predict SC by at least 23 points. We shall see who is right!

cats paw November 17, 2015 at 11:04 pm | Permalink
      Like It (0)
      but ill help you all out here for future knowledge. if Duke plays us again, pick Duke! they will not miss that many 3’s again. Hate all u wish but i can fill this thread full of my predictions that are generally 100% on! and thats why i get under your skin so much!!

6. J-Dub421
    10:19 am November 7, 2016 Permalink

Benny Snell is a monster. I mean that as a compliment.

7. J-Dub421
    10:20 am November 7, 2016 Permalink

Mulder took that dude’s dignity.

• RealCatsFan
      10:29 am November 7, 2016 Permalink

That poor guy was curled up in a fetal position after that dunk rained down on him! 😀

8. RealCatsFan
    10:21 am November 7, 2016 Permalink

I know probably very few on here follow the women’s volleyball team, but yesterday our girls dropped straight sets to Mizzou. We lost a hotly contested match at their place a week ago, so I was hoping we would get revenge, but we played horribly. Could not pass, serve, or cover the court. Just simply outplayed. From the look on Coach Skinner’s face, I don’t think practice will be very pleasant for these ladies this week.

• J-Dub421
      10:24 am November 7, 2016 Permalink

Sometimes you just have a bad game. It happens to everyone. Even the Warriors laid an egg to open the season.

• RealCatsFan
      10:28 am November 7, 2016 Permalink

J-Dub, I coach volleyball, and you are absolutely correct. That’s why I try to temper my criticism of coaches. Sometimes you simply have no control over what happens on the court or field.

9. Laker Cat 18
    10:23 am November 7, 2016 Permalink

What a game Saturday with Georgia! I feel very comfortable in saying UK played a better game than UGA. With that said, sometimes things can go the other way in close games. I’m proud of our team and our effort. I like where we’re at with UK football right now.

• J-Dub421
      10:25 am November 7, 2016 Permalink

If we had cut out a few errors we’d have won, which is encouraging. We are headed in the right direction.

10. RealCatsFan
    10:24 am November 7, 2016 Permalink

I was at the basketball game last night with my 12-YO daughter. We had a blast. Yes, our opponent was badly overmatched, but what an entertaining game! With about 6 minutes left the place cleared out and we moved over to section 13 about 4 rows from the floor. We kind of stood out amongst all of the doctors, lawyers, and horse farm owners, but the folks around us were very nice and friendly. My daughter managed to get a nice video of Mulder’s dunk to show off to her classmates today. 🙂

• J-Dub421
      10:28 am November 7, 2016 Permalink

Glad you and your daughter had a good time. You got to watch the dunk-fest live!

• RealCatsFan
      10:33 am November 7, 2016 Permalink

We got to watch a little bit of history as well! Twenty-nine dunks – WOW! They could have made a five minute highlight film with just the dunks.

11. kycats13
    10:24 am November 7, 2016 Permalink

That fade pass was a give up play. There were no options in this play.

12. RealCatsFan
    10:26 am November 7, 2016 Permalink

Also, as always we hung around for the post game show. BBN should appreciate how generous and accommodating our coach is to the fans. Cal is extremely patient about signing all of those basketballs, and you can tell that he likes to have some fun with the fans. I’m waiting to see what he does when two balls are accidentally tossed his way at the same time. 🙂

Also, it’s a shame that, due to NCAA issues, they no longer allow the players to sign any basketballs anymore. It’s just sad that it has come to that when the program down the road has strippers in the dorms. 😉

13. Laker Cat 18
    10:28 am November 7, 2016 Permalink

ESPN’s SEC power rankings have Mississippi State one spot in front of us. I understand they beat A&M, but that doesn’t make much sense to me.

• ukjaybrat
      10:37 am November 7, 2016 Permalink

we beat them at home by one on a last second field goal. they assume on a neutral field they would be the victor. i get it.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:40 am November 7, 2016 Permalink

If you’re touching each other in the rankings, it’s pretty simple that you go with the head-to-head victor if the two have played. Win is a win, at home or on the moon. If there is a team in between, then I would come closer to understanding.

• ukjaybrat
      10:49 am November 7, 2016 Permalink

i disagree… I don’t think rankings should be solely on wins and losses. Otherwise all undefeated teams would be 1-6 followed by all 1-loss teams, followed by all 2 loss teams. But that’s not how rankings work, because some 1-loss teams are better than some undefeated teams. It’s all about the schedule.

Rankings should be “Who actually IS the better team?” and I might take some flak for this, but right now, I think MSU is the better team. we barely beat them at home, if that game was on the road or even neutral, I think it’s a different outcome.

• ukjaybrat
      10:53 am November 7, 2016 Permalink

“Who actually IS the better team?”

or rather Who *we think* actually is the better team.
      Because we can’t really KNOW unless every team plays every other team on a neutral field which will never happen (even then – shit happens)

• Laker Cat 18
      11:19 am November 7, 2016 Permalink

I agree with your logic, but I disagree with your opinion. UK is the better team solely because we beat them. Had we lost to them on the road or on a neutral site we would know, but we didn’t and we don’t. I think it boils down to Texas A&M. Would UK beat them? No one knows because we will not play. The unknown factor doesn’t come into effect here. We know what we know and UK beat MSU.

14. RealCatsFan
    10:31 am November 7, 2016 Permalink

Funny, yet telling aside – I had to stop by my cousin’s place in Lexington to pick up our tickets. The Louisville situation came up during our conversation, and my daughter had no idea that Pitino had also cheated on his wife. She knew about Petrino. Needless to say, she has some new ammo to use against some of her Card fan classmates.

15. Laker Cat 18
    10:32 am November 7, 2016 Permalink

This is the first game that UK football has lost where I don’t feel completely hopeless. The effort was there for the most part. Kash Daniel was dropping bodies on special teams. It may be time for a look at him with the defensive rotation.

• kycats13
      10:37 am November 7, 2016 Permalink

I totally agree. Going to Knoxville with HOPE this coming weekend. Don’t think the Vols can stop the run, we just have to stop them from running on us. I feel good about this coming weekend.

• J-Dub421
      10:40 am November 7, 2016 Permalink

They have been giving Kash some reps with the defense, usually later in the games. He is slowly working his way into the rotation. It’s exciting to think about how many young talented players we return for next season.

16. Oh, about the comparisons of last night’s (exhibition) game to scoring 86 in the first half at LSU in 1996: were any of our players caught on TV in 1996 saying “Dey s’pose to be SEC!” 🙂

17. Sentient Third Eye
    10:35 am November 7, 2016 Permalink

We can say that UK has been in first place in the SEC East in November now. It only lasted a few hours, but it happened!

18. secrick
    10:42 am November 7, 2016 Permalink

Good to hear you guys are still fired up about the team. Just remember if we go bowling this will be a good year for us and if some of the other people that always cry when we don’t win want to let them but don’t let them bring us down. Was a good football game and the best team did not win.

• J-Dub421
      10:48 am November 7, 2016 Permalink

We are going to a bowl game. That is a when, not an if.

19. Mr. McBeevee
    10:44 am November 7, 2016 Permalink

Speaking of Eddie Gran… Good thing he left Cincinnati, it’s a dumpster fire there. UC fans want Tubberville gone.

20. Did MJ seriously just use a variation of Shannon Dawson’s “If it had worked…”?

• CATandMONKEY
      11:18 am November 7, 2016 Permalink

I heard that also.

21. secrick
    10:55 am November 7, 2016 Permalink

We are going to be real good next year. Not great but real good.

• RealCatsFan
      10:58 am November 7, 2016 Permalink

If we can develop Johnson a bit more at QB, or get another top line QB in here, the football team could make some big moves next year. Stephen is doing pretty well, no major complaints, but imagine if we had a QB the caliber of Woodson, or dare I say it, Lamar Jackson?

Serious question – how good would Louisville be without Jackson? I think they would still probably be top-25, but not top-10. Aside from him, I think UK’s talent level matches up pretty well with Louisville. To be fair, Louisville has the edge with coaching experience (and questionable morals 🙂 )

• secrick
      11:03 am November 7, 2016 Permalink

Yeah Jackson is really good. I would like to have him but don’t tell anyone i said that. If we changed Quarterbacks with them we would have 2 losses.

• RealCatsFan
      11:16 am November 7, 2016 Permalink

Might have only been one loss, Rick. I think UK plays with a different attitude at Florida if they had not dropped that first game.

22. RealCatsFan
    10:55 am November 7, 2016 Permalink

Benny and Badet >>> Kentucky Joe, although the KY Joe song remix is pretty funny.

• J-Dub421
      11:06 am November 7, 2016 Permalink

You know I hate fan songs, but Benny and Badet wasn’t half bad.

23. RealCatsFan
    11:14 am November 7, 2016 Permalink

I played my daughter’s video of the Mulder dunk back in slow motion, and his head was about 2 inches short of being level with the rim. The kid can get up!

24. CPACAT
    11:22 am November 7, 2016 Permalink

I don’t know how to verify this, but Asbury may have set a record for the most opposing teams fans in Rupp Arena. Half of Sec 238(?) was AU fans. Good showing Asbury!!

• Sentient Third Eye
      11:27 am November 7, 2016 Permalink

It helped that virtually all of them “swung both ways”.

• RealCatsFan
      11:33 am November 7, 2016 Permalink

Yep, STE, I was sitting next to two ladies who had Asbury shirts on, and they were big UK fans. But they both worked at Asbury some 30 miles down the road, and knew some of the players. People can try to call Cal and UK out for running up the score against them, but I think most of those kids were still having a great time just being out there playing in Rupp. Most of them are in-state kids. My main concern was one of our starters getting injured. I breathed a sigh of relief when Cal inserted all the walk-ons with about six minutes left in the game. This game might set a lot of records, not the least of which might be the earliest the walk-ons got to enter any game under Cal!

• ukjaybrat
      12:24 pm November 7, 2016 Permalink

“swung both ways”

This. UK has plenty of fans, it was nice to see all of the also-Asbury fans represent last night.

25. J-Dub421
    11:27 am November 7, 2016 Permalink

UK will be the most fun and exciting team to watch in college basketball this season. Period.

• secrick
      11:34 am November 7, 2016 Permalink

Could be, they are fast enough.

• RealCatsFan
      11:35 am November 7, 2016 Permalink

Yep, Fox and Monk remind me a lot of Anderson and Mercer back in ’97. Thunder and Lightning revisited. They also compare to Bledsoe and Wall pretty well. But we have crazy athleticism at nearly every position this year. Willis is surprisingly athletic too.

26. cats paw
    11:34 am November 7, 2016 Permalink

just imagine how great this week would have been if we had hired Petrino. we would be celebrating a top 10 team in the NATION as opposed to being ranked 10th in a weak conference. lol

• RealCatsFan
      11:37 am November 7, 2016 Permalink

And we would still have a totally amoral football coach. It’s going to catch up with them (again) eventually. You can say that his transgressions had nothing to do with football, but at the end of the day, if a person has no morals or conscience, they are much more likely to cheat in other areas besides their personal life.

• J-Dub421
      11:44 am November 7, 2016 Permalink

Did you seriously call the SEC a weak conference? Lol.

• secrick
      11:59 am November 7, 2016 Permalink

CATSPAW, Most of the guys on here are being pretty nice to you but i would like to say your a idiot that i really don’t feel sorry for because you have no life . Lville has a great football team but you have to try and run down another team. I guess all the card fans have run you off the card site already and you have no where else to go. We don’t want your coaches ,either one of them. They are slim and Ky sports is way above that.

• ukjaybrat
      12:27 pm November 7, 2016 Permalink

“I guess all the card fans have run you off the card site already and you have no where else to go”

I would disagree with that. they like “yes men” over there where you ignore the hard hitting questions and just keep chanting “our football team beat *another* bad team by 50! yay for them!”

27. RealCatsFan
    11:38 am November 7, 2016 Permalink

BTW, were you one of the guys who started that vicious rumor about Stoops a few weeks ago? I still would like to see the person responsible for that one exposed.

• RealCatsFan
      11:58 am November 7, 2016 Permalink

Of course, this was directed at our favorite UofL troll cats paw…