Recapping a big win over South Carolina (Monday Show Thread)

benny-boom

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Monday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, Matt, Ryan, and Drew will recap Kentucky’s big win over South Carolina, what it means heading forward, and discuss a little TV show that starts tonight. Tune in for all of that and much more.

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

affiliate-list

59 Comments for Recapping a big win over South Carolina (Monday Show Thread)

1. Realme
    10:01 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

What in the world was that guy that tried to hurdle Westry thinking? Wasn’t an amazing win, but they won, and looked kind of like an actual football team, so I’ll gladly take it.

• I posted a comment and said it looked like the old Arn Anderson spine buster. Then I saw where several people tweeted the same thing. LOL!

Not saying it’s because they saw my comment. I think all old school rasslin’ fans thought the same thing!

• J-Dub421
      10:05 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

Looked like an MMA style takedown.

• runningunnin.454
      10:17 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

He saw the Lamar Jackson highlight on TV, and thought he could fly……nope.

2. To those who were already calling for Les Miles yesterday, I have 2 words for you: Bill Curry.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:08 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

Almost posted same yesterday. UK, making good coaches mediocre for decades.

• Someone else posted that a week or 2 ago, so it’s not original with me. But I live in Bama, and when we hired Curry, I said “YES!” because I thought we had struck gold. Turned out it was only iron pyrite.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:14 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

Far too often, fool’s gold and UK football go together like peas and carrots.

3. W1ldCats4Life
    10:04 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

Best performance of the season all around.

Need to go to Bama and continue to look competent and not give up. Fight to the end and compete. Beat the spread and it’s a win!

4. J-Dub421
    10:04 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

Benny Snell’s new nickname should be Miley Cyrus because he came in like a wrecking ball.

• Realme
      10:06 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

He is amazing. Hard to believe he’s a freshman. I hate to admit it, but he’s just about taking over (from Jojo) as my favorite player.

• runningunnin.454
      10:19 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

Something tells me Benny would not like to be Miley Cyrus.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:21 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

Benny got tons of love from the TV guys after that drive and TD. Still love to hear Leach on the radio though with “Touchdown. . . KENTUCKY!” Hope he can say it several times when we play The Tide.

5. Realme
    10:18 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

That ugliness that Justin Rowland was tweeting about all day, and that some fans were gleefully sharing on Saturday makes me want to go back to being a Stoops supporter. Rowland didn’t say he thought the rumor was true, but he legitimized it by saying the rumors were stressing the coaching staff, and by “reporting” on it all day. And some fans were despicable in their willingness to believe and spread something with no evidence.

• Mathlete
      10:21 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

I told someone the other day about that rumor of Stoops knocking up a student… “you have to win before you start getting to hook up with coeds, that’s an unspoken rule in college football”

• CATandMONKEY
      10:23 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

The term “fans” as applied to a good number of those folks, and a few gems that show up here is at best a misnomer. Despicable pieces of feces might be a more apt description, more often than not.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:26 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

Math, as much as I hated the entire rumor situation, I chuckled unabashedly at your comment both today and this past weekend.

• RealCatsFan
      10:27 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

If they find out who started the rumor, can they be sued for slander? What about public figures who perpetuated it? If untrue, the person who started it is a despicable human being. I’m not particularly happy with Stoops, but trying to assassinate a person’s private life is the lowest of low.

• J-Dub421
      10:28 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

I’m not on twitter, so I missed that one. Glad I did. There are stupid people who will believe anything, including ridiculous unsubstantiated rumors.

• RealCatsFan
      10:31 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

Seems to me the best thing that Stoops and the UK admin can do is come out and address the rumor. If I was Stoops I would be pissed beyond all reason and looking for the person who started it all.

• Realme
      10:35 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

I don’t think they need to acknowledge it at all, except maybe to sue the jerk that created a website just to spread unfounded nonsense. And to give media who made it sound like an actual story an information freeze out.

• J-Dub421
      10:47 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

Stoops needs to give any media members who helped spread the rumor the Coach Cal treatment – nose bleed seats for you!

• runningunnin.454
      11:11 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

Sad thing about that sick rumor was that the players heard about it. But maybe it fired them up and they circled the wagons around their coach.

• runningunnin.454
      11:29 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

Fake Billy, “if you could stand inside my shoes, you would know what a drag it is to see you”.
      Positively 4th Street.

• UKBlueGreen
      12:15 pm September 26, 2016 Permalink

I laughed too. But we really don’t need any more talk about sex scandals with the Athletic Dept. or any Dept. at UK.

6. secrick
    10:31 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

It was a god win, Snell looked great and Johnson played pretty good. Would like to see him take off a little more, if we can get him on the lose a little and with Boom and Snell we could make a bowl game. Thanks Defense.

• secrick
      10:33 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

Meant to say good win.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:40 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

Agreed.

• Patches
      12:30 pm September 26, 2016 Permalink

Has anyone noticed the UK defense has only allowed 2 TDs in the last 6 quarters of football? With Johnson and Boom and Snell the offense has scored 79 pts in the last 2 games.

7. Jason in Alabama
    10:41 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

I think most athletes would rather have their desire to perform outlive their body’s capability to perform, like Chris Bosch, rather than their body outlive their desire, like Ricky Williams or Ryan Leaf.

8. r-mel
    10:42 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

LSU will hire Art Briles so that eliminates Bryan from leaving the KSR staff thank god. Also i think coach Stoops being more defensively involved made a big difference and he will continue to do the same with great results. He deserves more time to get this done so hopefully we get enough wins to satisfy the masses for the year. A bowl game is still within reach.

9. Catsby80
    10:45 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

anybody know when they announce game times? wondering what time that vandy game will be. opening weekend at keeneland that weekend, so hopefully a night game.

10. Realme
    10:50 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

It’s personal to me too. I personally hope Boom and Benny both have more yards than Harris. He made the right decision, but no need to continue to rub UK’s nose in being 2nd choice.

• J-Dub421
      10:57 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

Considering he said he made his decision months before he announced and then led on our coaching staff and fan base because he liked the attention and basketball tickets, I am very much over Harris. I am also annoyed by his tweeting to stir the pot, then deleting it. Either say what you’re going to say and stand behind it, or don’t say it at all.

11. runningunnin.454
    10:55 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

Can’t read the Harris kid’s mind; but, a lot of guys that go out of their home state to play get fired up to play the home team.

12. Laker Cat 18
    10:56 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

I have knocked the UK defense all year. They looked good from the little I saw from Saturday. I’m happy they responded.

Alabama, man, I hope we can make it respectable. How crazy would it be if we could slow things down drastically and hold the ball as much as possible to pull off an upset? Zero chance?

• J-Dub421
      10:58 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

I’m not crazy enough to think we can beat Alabama, but hopefully we can put up a respectable showing.

• Realme
      11:11 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

I agree with a comment I saw earlier. Let’s beat the spread and consider that a win. Also, I hope they don’t break our players.

• Booby Petrino
      11:11 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

Holding the ball as much as possible has not worked out for us in the past. Trying to has made us crumble. Zero chance is right. Let’s just hope to beat the spread.

• CATandMONKEY
      11:17 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

While I do not believe in moral victories I also don’t believe in fairy tales. Our best hope IMNSHO is respectability and having a few screenshots of slightly nervous houndstooth-clad Tide fans when we occasionally defy expectations, at least for a few moments.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:39 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

A win for me would be Harris getting absolutely drilled once or twice. No injuries, but I definitely want him to fear touching the football.

• J-Dub421
      11:41 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

I’d never wish an injury on anyone, but I wouldn’t mind seeing Harris get the Chris Westry treatment.

13. runningunnin.454
    11:20 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

That was a bad call by the WKU coach; you don’t go for two at home, especially considering Vandy was lucky to get to OT, and they are not a good road team.
    Lot of people want him for our next coach……no.

14. Realme
    11:34 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

I move that whoever did this song be kicked out of BBN. How stupid.

• Realme
      11:35 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

Ok, if that was tongue in cheek it’s not so bad.

• CATandMONKEY
      11:36 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

Lyrics cringy. Way better musicianship than pretty much any UK tune to date.

15. CATandMONKEY
    11:35 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

Nice voices. Nice playing.

16. ky1988
    11:41 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

After Bama cats have three winnable games. Vandy, Missouri, and Miss. State. Play defense like he did Saturday and that’s 5-3 record need one win to get to bowl thank God they have Austin P. And there is 6 wins and a bowl.

• CATandMONKEY
      11:43 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

Unfortunately that Southern Miss loss could really bite us in the @$$.

• J-Dub421
      11:57 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

We need to come out of Alabama without any major injuries.

17. runningunnin.454
    11:44 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

The blithering idiot buffoon has a lot of money……Hillary makes her money by selling favors to foreign governments.

• CATandMONKEY
      11:49 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

…and this is the best we have from which to choose. SMDH

• runningunnin.454
      11:56 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

Agree C&M; but, I’m all in for tonight……pass the popcorn.

18. UKBlueGreen
    11:58 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

If what has been said is true, they should have ousted Stoops when they learned about it. Don’t wait until a guy is down then use it against him to avoid the buy out. That’s a chump ass move

• J-Dub421
      12:00 pm September 26, 2016 Permalink

It isn’t true. That was covered earlier.

• The REAL Billy Hill
      1:44 pm September 26, 2016 Permalink

BlueGreen WANTS it to be true…..

• UKBlueGreen
      4:43 pm September 26, 2016 Permalink

Hill Billy, you’re an asshole and a troll.

19. The Professor
    12:34 pm September 26, 2016 Permalink

I have been extremely critical of the coaching staff to this point. I must give them credit for turning the defense around against USC. We actually looked well coached. Hopefully, they have turned the corner.

• Patches
      3:31 pm September 26, 2016 Permalink

That was the best coaching job from Stoops and staff since he has been here. Gran’s play calling was spot on.