Recapping a big, fun weekend (Monday Show Thread)

bballfball

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Monday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, Matt, Ryan, and Drew will recap one of the better weekends in UK Sports, which included the football team’s big win over Missouri and the basketball team’s romp over Clarion. Tune in to hear them break down the fun and look ahead to what’s next for UK Football.

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

affiliate-list

53 Comments for Recapping a big, fun weekend (Monday Show Thread)

1. Come on folks, we won! Let’s yammer!

I’ll get this started by echoing Tyler’s post from a few minutes ago: what’s going on at Tennessee? I was actually going to ask that before seeing her post, but now, whew!

Could Charlie Strong be a candidate for that job if Jones is shown the door? He spurned them before Jones took the job and then left UL for Texas the next year I believe.

• J-Dub421
      10:22 am October 31, 2016 Permalink

Do you think Texas will definitely fire Strong?

• Oh yeah, and WE WON!!! Take that Vegas!

I loves me some Snell & Boom! And of course I would like to win every game, but if we can take care of The Peay, and get at least 1 against UGA, UT, or UL, that’s 7 and that’ll be a lot better than any of us thought at the start of the year. Six is too, but 7 guarantees a winning record and just looks better.

C-A-T-S CATS CATS CATS!!!

• ukjaybrat
      10:29 am October 31, 2016 Permalink

“what’s going on at Tennessee?”

If Jalen Hurd really wants to stick it to UT, he can come suit of for the Blue and White. We could always use another breakout wide receiver.

• ukjaybrat
      10:29 am October 31, 2016 Permalink

“Do you think Texas will definitely fire Strong?”

I think he’ll get at least one more year

• Who knows, but I do J-Dub. There was at least 1 report out there over the last few weeks that he would be fired regardless of the rest of the season (quotes from an unnamed booster I think). Of course that could be wrong. After all, there were reports when Eddie Sutton was still coaching our bball team that he would be fired (mid-season) and our new coach would be Lee Rose. I remember it was even on Sports Center. Then when Sutton was fired at the end of the season, PJ Carlesimo was supposedly our new coach according to an unnamed booster or something. That was on Sports Center too. Of course neither happened.

• runningunnin.454
      10:37 am October 31, 2016 Permalink

Looks like somebody got yelled at for losing to SC.

• J-Dub421
      11:06 am October 31, 2016 Permalink

There was no way we should ever have been a 7 point underdog to Missouri. That was a slap in the face I thought.

• ukjaybrat
      11:19 am October 31, 2016 Permalink

agreed jdub. i understand their reasoning that we havent played a good road game yet, but missouri hasn’t played ANY good game yet, so it should have been a wash. uk has now shown they are legit

2. J-Dub421
    10:21 am October 31, 2016 Permalink

This is the happiest I’ve been on a Monday morning in quite a while. A road win in the SEC in football and a blowout win in basketball has me in a good mood. πŸ™‚

• Realme
      10:23 am October 31, 2016 Permalink

Me too.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:28 am October 31, 2016 Permalink

It’s a bit of a strange feeling though. Overall, far superior to a typical October Monday, over umpteen seasons. I am finding it difficult to not buy in to some of the crazy-talk.

• ukjaybrat
      10:35 am October 31, 2016 Permalink

i dunno. as an alwso cubs fan, last weekend was better than this one simply because last weekend they were on the way to the world series, and after this weekend they are one game away from losing it. at least they won last night

• RealCatsFan
      10:38 am October 31, 2016 Permalink

Well, I would be happy too, but it’s the first day back to work after a week at the beach, so kind of blah and melancholy for me. Lots of grumbling from the kids getting them up for school this morning! #vacationhangover

• RealCatsFan
      10:45 am October 31, 2016 Permalink

Also, we were in Panama City, which is somewhat the Redneck Riviera of Florida beaches. The beaches are fine, but some of the “clientele” are suspect. Exhibit A: the two couples who we got to observe our last few days at the beach. On Thursday, one of the wives got so hammered that she could not even stand up enough to get herself out of the waves. She just wallowed in the surf, getting smacked in the face by waves over and over. She eventually crawled up onto the beach like a drunken sea turtle and laid there. I didn’t think that could be topped, but on Saturday, her hubby / boyfriend decided to get hammered, and at one point he ran into the ocean and came out holding a huge jellyfish. He proceeded to rub it all over his chest and belly. Didn’t seem to affect him at all. Then a little later he went back in and grabbed another one and put it on top of his head like a hat (he had a shaved head). Still didn’t seem to phase him. Don’t know if it was all the alcohol, drugs, or perhaps he was somehow immune to the venom. In any case, I have a little more ammo to keel my kids away from drugs and alcohol. Not sure if they were Louisville fans, although they fit the profile. πŸ™‚

• Realme
      10:55 am October 31, 2016 Permalink

Wow, RCF. These people clearly need a reality tv show.

• RCF, just wow on that story.

• ClutchCargo
      10:57 am October 31, 2016 Permalink

RealCatsFan, there are some varieties of jellyfish that don’t sting or have minimal effect if they do sting. Saw a lot of those this summer at PCB. Kids were hauling them out of the water like Easter eggs.

• RealCatsFan
      10:58 am October 31, 2016 Permalink

Realme, I am kicking myself for not getting a picture of the dude with the jellyfish on his head, but honestly, I didn’t really want any contact with any of them. I had my kids there with me, and I just wasn’t sure what they would do next. Didn’t want to egg them on of have them hanging around us. Sometimes the safest thing to do is remain an objective observer!

• RealCatsFan
      11:01 am October 31, 2016 Permalink

Clutch, I thought about that too, so I did some googling about jellies. Apparently the Moon jellyfish get really large, and have little if any sting. But these were something else. They were huge, pink jellyfish with long tentacles. After some research, I think they are called “pink meanies”, and from what I have read, they do sting:

• J-Dub421
      11:04 am October 31, 2016 Permalink

He may have just been too hammered to notice. I have been stung by jellyfish several times and it is quite painful. Not to mention I had marks where I was stung for about a month afterwards which were itchy.

3. CATandMONKEY
    10:24 am October 31, 2016 Permalink

Decent weekend for UK sports, no?
    Have seen a lot of improvement in many areas on the gridiron since August. The team hasn’t yet completely been able to make it all work together for an entire game but optimism is not out of the question.

Missed the Clarion game. The highlights are encouraging and a few are outrageous. A fun season? Virtually guaranteed.

• J-Dub421
      10:49 am October 31, 2016 Permalink

Our basketball team is going to be super fun to watch this season. Our guys were a little sloppy with the ball at times, and there were some defensive lapses, but overall I was very pleased and impressed with their effort and especially their passing and unselfishness. There will be lots of fast breaks with this team, and with the speed and athleticism we have, no one is going to be able to stop it.

4. secrick
    10:24 am October 31, 2016 Permalink

Great football game, man Snell and Boom are some bad dudes. I think we get the 6 wins and may get 2 more. All the sudden Ga., Tenn. and Lville don’t look that good.

• ClutchCargo
      10:35 am October 31, 2016 Permalink

• Realme
      10:46 am October 31, 2016 Permalink

I just hope we stay with Louisville, so they have to be nervous all game. Just thinking they could lose to UK would kill them.

• RealCatsFan
      10:48 am October 31, 2016 Permalink

I would settle simply for knocking them out of any possibility of playoff contention. It would be retribution for the past two years, and also a good tradeoff for the Wisconsin disappointment. And they deserve it – after all, the rehired Bobby Petrino.

• J-Dub421
      10:53 am October 31, 2016 Permalink

I don’t realistically see us beating Louisville or Tennessee (especially since both games are on the road), but I think we definitely have a shot at Georgia. I would be beyond thrilled with a 7-5 regular season record this year.

I just want to go to a bowl game. Any bowl game will do.

5. ClutchCargo
    10:37 am October 31, 2016 Permalink

Not sure why this response to secrick landed in moderation hell, but here goes again: How amazing would it be to win out, knock U of L out of the playoff picture once and for all (if they are realistically in it now) and make it to Atlanta? Dream the dream!

• J-Dub421
      10:56 am October 31, 2016 Permalink

There is no rhyme or reason to the moderation bots.

• ukjaybrat
      11:01 am October 31, 2016 Permalink

i would say clemson doesn’t play anybody else this year, so they are probably a lock for the playoff… but better teams have lost to worse teams before… so, there’s that

6. knowitall
    10:40 am October 31, 2016 Permalink

I had to work Saturday and had to keep up with the game through the live blog. My oh my are there a lot of fair weather Kentucky football fans. I’ve been with them through thick and then, but it amazes me that some fans can jump on and off the bandwagon so easily not to mention the bloggers who write for this site.

• Realme
      10:47 am October 31, 2016 Permalink

I can’t believe that some people are still complaining. This is such good progress.

• ukjaybrat
      10:56 am October 31, 2016 Permalink

“jump on and off the bandwagon so easily not to mention the bloggers who write for this site.”

please give me an example where one of the bloggers on this site has shown anything less than 100% fanhood for this football team ?

• JayR
      1:41 pm October 31, 2016 Permalink

@ukjaybrat start with matt jones, the one who stated on air that it was time to talk basketball after week 2 because he was done with football, he gave them two games (and that is a direct quote)….. how about the articles posted about hypothetical situations for stoops being fired? The articles mentioning les miles as a stoops replacement, any and every negative article posted it goes on and on….

• ukjaybrat
      1:58 pm October 31, 2016 Permalink

keyword: “hypothetical”

not one person on the KSR staff has said they want stoops gone.
      and i don’t remember matt EVER saying he was “done with football”
      i listen to almost every show and i just don’t remember it. maybe you could find it on a podcast and direct it to me. but so far this isn’t proof. it’s just some daude named JayR “remembering” what he wants to remember without any solid evidence… just sayin

• JayR
      3:33 pm October 31, 2016 Permalink

9/12/16 podcast end of the show 42:36

7. Laker Cat 18
    10:43 am October 31, 2016 Permalink

Basketball is back and football is good! All is right in the world.

8. Fanboy for Kornheiser? Wow.

9. Realme
    10:54 am October 31, 2016 Permalink

Well, Ky Joe finally feels better. Defense defense yes.

10. J-Dub421
    10:55 am October 31, 2016 Permalink

Ugh. No more Kentucky Joe. This is awful.

• Realme
      10:56 am October 31, 2016 Permalink

Mr. Pringle, Mr. Pringle, Mr. Pringle.

11. RealCatsFan
    10:55 am October 31, 2016 Permalink

What the hell was that?!? Old guy with emphysema rapping?

• J-Dub421
      11:07 am October 31, 2016 Permalink

Kentucky Joe strikes again…

12. CATandMONKEY
    10:55 am October 31, 2016 Permalink

Ugggh

13. Laker Cat 18
    11:10 am October 31, 2016 Permalink

I’m glad he’s feeling better, but man, Ky Joe makes my ears bleed.

14. J-Dub421
    11:12 am October 31, 2016 Permalink

May Brad Calipari play play at the end of every game this season.

15. onsides
    11:33 am October 31, 2016 Permalink

If you have SEC Network + online, the Butch Jones press Tennessee conference comes on at noon and should be pretty entertaining. (KY and Georgia is also at noon, so I think you have to watch it online or Apple TV etc.). Go Cats

16. RogerW
    11:45 am October 31, 2016 Permalink

I don’t often listen to the radio show, but tuned in today to listen to the hype of the football team. Seems nothing has changed. Matt is still really rude. Constantly talks over everyone and cuts them off mid sentence.

• J-Dub421
      11:52 am October 31, 2016 Permalink

That guy calls in and is rude and belligerent regularly. I am glad Matt cut him off.

• secrick
      12:32 pm October 31, 2016 Permalink

Rogerw was that you.

• ukjaybrat
      2:00 pm October 31, 2016 Permalink

secrick, probably. that happens a lot. some butthurt dude gets “preciate the call”ed then jumps here on the show thread and complains about how matt always cuts someone off and how rude he is… uh huh… Could it be a different person? probably, is it likely, nah,.