Recap: Reds Win 6th Straight, 7-1 over White Sox

For the sixth time in as many games, the Cincinnati Reds are victorious. This evening, the American League Central-leading Chicago White Sox came to Great American Ball Park but could only manage four hits on their way to a 7-1 defeat at the hands of the Reds.

Cincinnati got off to a good start thanks to a Nick Castellanos Home Run in the first inning that gave them an early lead. In the third inning, Cincy blasted three more long balls to blow the game open 6-0. Tucker Barnhart, Joey Votto, and Jesse Winker all hit Home Runs in the inning.

In the top of the sixth inning, the White Sox loaded the bases with no outs. However, they managed just one run via a fielder’s choice and only cut the deficit to 6-1.

An RBI double from Votto in the seventh put the Reds back up by six runs and set the final score at 7-1.

After 5 2/3 innings from Tyler Mahle on the way to his second win of the season, the Reds bullpen shut things down throwing 3 1/3 innings of nearly perfect baseball. Tejay Antone walked one but struck out two in 2 1/3 innings of no-hit work. Then, Sal Romano pitched a perfect ninth to close it down and ensure the Reds victory.

The sixth straight victory got the Reds back to .500 on the season at 26-26. Trevor Bauer will take the mound tomorrow night at 7:07 p.m. Eastern Time against left-hander Dallas Keuchel.

Home Run Parade

The Reds four Home Runs brought them to 79 on the season, good for seventh-most in Major League Baseball. Joey Votto led the way with a 3-4 night at the plate including his 10th Home Run of the season. Tucker Barnhart has now hit safely in four consecutive games and is hitting .292 with four long balls in the month of September. Nick Castellanos hit his 13th bomb and drove in his 30th run which ties him for the team lead in both categories with Eugenio Suarez.

Cincinnati has now scored 60.4% of their runs this season via Home Runs.

Tyler Mahle Bounces Back

Mahle had been excellent in three consecutive outings until struggling on Sunday against the St. Louis Cardinals. Tonight, the 25-year-old Mahle got back in the groove pitching 5 2/3 innings of four-hit, one-run baseball. He also struck out eight batters.

Mahle earned the victory to move to 2-2 on the season and his Earned Run Averaged dropped to 3.97.

Playoff Picture

At the time of this post, the St. Louis Cardinals had just finished a doubleheader sweep of the Pittsburg Pirates to climb to 24-24 on the season. Owning the head-to-head tiebreak, the Cardinals would receive the National League Central’s second playoff spot.

The Philadelphia Phillies are currently leading the Toronto Blue Jays 8-7 in the 7th inning. A Phillies win would move them a half of a game ahead of the Reds for the final NL Wild Card spot. If the Phillies lose, the Reds would remain in the playoffs with the eighth seed.

Box Score

@BRamseyKSR

Article written by Brandon Ramsey

Basketball X's & O's for KSR. Follow me on Twitter: @BRamseyKSR

16 Comments for Recap: Reds Win 6th Straight, 7-1 over White Sox

1. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:52 pm September 18, 2020 Permalink

Reds la numero uno!

• UKBigBlueForever
      1:19 am September 19, 2020 Permalink

Lol

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      1:21 pm September 19, 2020 Permalink

más peticiones de cobertura!

2. UKBigBlueForever
    1:20 am September 19, 2020 Permalink

The Reds really do suck although on paper do have a good team. Just for you Chris I’ll cheer for them.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      7:14 am September 19, 2020 Permalink

Haha.

3. Section233
    9:22 am September 19, 2020 Permalink

Come on let’s make fine playoffs – why not it’s 2020

4. Section233
    9:23 am September 19, 2020 Permalink

If the Reds can make the playoffs and start jacking home runs you never know

• Deaconator252
      9:32 am September 19, 2020 Permalink

With Bauer, Gray, and Castillo in the rotation, they definitely have a chance if they can just make the playoffs.

5. chrisnoleinky
    10:26 am September 19, 2020 Permalink

No they wont because if they get the 8 seed la would crush them.

6. Bigblueswami
    12:25 pm September 19, 2020 Permalink

They probably will make the playoffs…. just so we get subjected to more of this non-Kentucky related crap. Then the political articles will start in a few weeks…. and the bachlor…. and all the stupid non-Kentucky related things they can find to fill their writing quotas with.

If they had less interns they’d have less stupid articles… problem solved.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      12:41 pm September 19, 2020 Permalink

Well, Matt never writes anymore, Drew writes very little, there’s no more Beisner or Fake Gimel, etc., so someone has to fill the void besides MTT, Nick, and Jack. I know there’s Maggie and another 1 or 2 I may be forgetful about, but it’s cheaper to use interns in order to churn out this amount of content. Plus, they’ve had a number of interns go on to write for other sites or even get into broadcast journalism.

• westkycat20
      4:41 pm September 19, 2020 Permalink

@Bigblueswami…..this has been my (and MANY MANY OTHERS) take on the website since Matt and the old crew turned the reigns over to the likes of Tyler, Nick, Maggie and the rest of them. It’s unbearable at times to read….so I don’t read it. I won’t get into what drives me insane but you can tell by the number of replies to the articles if people give an “ish” about what they spewed out. I will speak for myself and say I miss the 365 coverage of basketball. There’s too many articles about football, the reds, or the idiotic articles that start out with “LOOK” or “READ”….thanks for the instructions….but basketball is what made this site and the downfall will be the coverage of everything else besides that. The radio show is the only thing left that is actually attached to the old ways of KSR. If this is what Matt and his crew wants, then it’s his business have at it. But I will come to the app to see if there is anything worth reading, there usually isn’t so I post my “Reds suck” comment and leave.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      6:23 pm September 19, 2020 Permalink

Westky, the thing is, Matt’s the one behind all these moves IMO. He talks constantly about how he’s “Not stickin’ ta sports!”, and by that he means KSR features like (cringe) The Bachelor and Funkhouser, not just politics. I don’t like his politics, nor the other 2 items, but why would you have a problem with KSR’s coverage of UK football?

• westkycat20
      6:58 pm September 19, 2020 Permalink

I don’t have a problem with his coverage of UK football. Now, I personally don’t care for football…it was never on TV here in Western KY growing up (I’m in my 40s), my family never watched it and neither did any of my friends or people I knew or know. I just don’t like that football has become the dominate subject on the site. You can tell that by the number of writers devoted to it and the fact that Ryan and Drew publicly have stated that they prefer football to basketball and Matt trying to cover it more….it is all they talk about. They have said multiple times that they don’t know the guys coming in on the basketball side…that’s because it is no longer the focus. That is what I’m talking about. Basketball in KY is 365/24/7. Again…I’m glad that those that love football are getting their coverage now, I really am. But the site went downhill when that switch happened IMO.

• westkycat20
      7:16 pm September 19, 2020 Permalink

And Chris, you know our Reds banter is playful and harmless….yes I hate the Reds but it gave me a talking point that many people in KY don’t know a single thing about us in western KY. Yes, what makes this state great is the diversity of the land and people but it’s also the downfall. I am being 100% honest when I say that I don’t know a single person that watches the KY Derby….not 1. I can count on 1 hand the number of people that I know personally that has watched a UK football game in person. I and many others feel that we are forgotten on this site and even when it comes to matters of the state too. It just is what it is I guess but I can not relate to most of what people think of when they think of KY…because it doesn’t define what I KNOW of KY.

7. OldSchool606