Recap: Reds Shutout by the Cardinals, 3-0

The Reds offense simply couldn’t get anything going this evening. The offense collected just four total hits and never advanced a runner to third base on their way to being shutout by the Cardinals, 3-0.

The Cardinals jumped on the board in the bottom of the third inning via a two RBI single from Tommy Edman after a Harrison Bader double followed by a Kolton Wong single put runners at the corners with one out. Harrison Bader would hit a solo Home Run in the bottom of the fifth inning to increase the St. Louis led to 3-0.

Cardinals left-hander Kwang-Hyun Kim was excellent on the mound tonight in his second start of the season. Kim went six innings and allowed just three hits to earn his first win of 2020. Jesse Winker doubled in the fifth inning and Joey Votto walked following a single from Kyle Farmer in the top of the eighth. Those were the only two instances that the Reds had runners in scoring position tonight.

After beginning the 2020 campaign by winning National League Player of the Week honors, Nick Castellanos has seen his batting average drop all the way .239 after his 0-4 performance. Joey Votto is also trending towards the Mendoza Line as he sits at .218 after a 0-3 showing at the plate.

The lone bright spot offensively for Cincinnati this evening was Kyle Farmer going 3-3. In a lineup with a lot of underperforming bats, Farmer could be earning himself more consistent playing time moving forward.

Tejay Antone also deserves a shoutout for his performance out of the bullpen for the Reds. Once again, Antone was excellent throwing 2 1/3 innings of no-hit baseball. He struck out three and walked one after taking over for Wade Miley to begin the sixth inning.

Cincinnati will be back at Busch Stadium tomorrow afternoon at 2:15 p.m. Eastern Time for an opportunity to split the series. Tyler Mahle will take the ball for the Reds against Daniel Ponce De Leon for the Cardinals. Tonights setback dropped the Reds to a 11-14 record on the season. The Cardinals are now 8-8.

Article written by Brandon Ramsey

Basketball X's & O's for KSR. Follow me on Twitter: @BRamseyKSR

15 Comments for Recap: Reds Shutout by the Cardinals, 3-0

1. ukkatzfan
    10:55 pm August 22, 2020 Permalink

Bwahahahaha

2. westkycat20
    11:50 pm August 22, 2020 Permalink

Hahahaha. Reds suck

3. 270cat
    12:30 am August 23, 2020 Permalink

I still don’t understand why there’s an article about the reds…Can someone tell me? It just shows how they don’t care about half of the state. They think everyone is from their part of the state and likes Cincinnati sports.

• westkycat20
      8:14 am August 23, 2020 Permalink

I really didn’t want to believe this but it is becoming more and more obvious that you are correct. The western part of KY is just an afterthought on KSR. Matt even says that Northern KY is the most overlooked area in the state. Hahaha. 1 hour away from Lexington yet they are overlooked. Reds suck

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      9:07 am August 23, 2020 Permalink

Because the Reds have always been THE team in Lexington. You may be younger than me, and I get it if you’re a Card fan or whatever, but my guess is the vast majority of UK fans (in my age range anyway) are Reds fans if they care about baseball. I could be wrong. I didn’t realize growing up in Lexington that the Cards were big in the western part of the state. I didn’t know about KMOX and their reach back then.

• westkycat20
      6:40 pm August 23, 2020 Permalink

Chris, your first sentence proves 270s point….just because it is big in Lexington/Louisville, that’s the way KSR expects the rest of the state to believe. I get that none of you privileged souls that was born and raised in the Lexington/Louisville bubble will understand what us poor uneducated folk in western KY have to put up with from the rest of the state but it’s comical.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:42 pm August 23, 2020 Permalink

I’m not trying to argue here. Look, I already admitted I didn’t know growing up that the Cards were apparently popular in western KY. How would I? I had no relatives there. If you want Card coverage here (Saint Lou, not Louisville of course…haha…actually, that may be a reason they don’t get covered here), then start a petition or something. Us Reds fans know they’re no good right now. We get it. But it looks to me like they’re still the team in Lexington based on the coverage on KSR, and Lexington is where UK is also, so…

• westkycat20
      8:50 am August 24, 2020 Permalink

I don’t want StL Cardinals coverage…I want and expect UK coverage. And your argument that since the Reds are the team in Lexington and Lexington is where is UK is weak. Both Matt and Cal have stated multiple times the basketball program and this website/radio show/etc is for the state….all 120 counties. So no I’m not buying it on this site. If Matt or whoever gives the go ahead want to do this….it’s their site have at it….but please just come out and say that KSR is only for the Lex/Lou/Eastern KY crowd.

4. BigBlueFoo42777
    5:46 am August 23, 2020 Permalink

Cincinnatti is the shitty baseball team capital of the world. That being sad I love the reds and bengals and no doubt so would you if they were any good. Hell when the UK football team sucked every year most people didnt like them either.

• runningunnin.454
      10:31 am August 23, 2020 Permalink

The Reds were a powerhouse in the ’70’s, and are one of the oldest franchises in MLB. Cincinnati was never a great basketball town; do you even remember the Cincinnati Royals? Never won an NBA championship; eventually moved to Kansas City, and then became the Sacramento Kings…still not good.

5. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    9:08 am August 23, 2020 Permalink

I miss the Big Red Machine. And Eric Davis and the Nasty Boys and company. *sniff*

• 270cat
      9:25 am August 23, 2020 Permalink

That’s the thing. They have a site for fans all over the state but only talk about things that matter to fans in their bubble. Even Matt mentioned in his book that they don’t acknowledge the western part of the state enough. Hell, Drew is from about an hour from me and all he could do is write about how my county is “behind the times” because Zion Harmon was trying to join the team. You know, the county in which they have an affiliate. The county that pays for teams of all different colors to come and play in a nationally known tournament? And no, we don’t dislike the reds or the bengals because they suck. We don’t like them because regionally, the cardinals, rams and (more recently) titans are/were a lot closer. Meaning this end of the state feels alienated because we’re not in their little bubble.

6. Eddiemcwildcat
    11:48 am August 23, 2020 Permalink

Go Cards

7. Bigblueswami
    2:27 pm August 23, 2020 Permalink

I think more than that anything, it’s an easy way to fill their number of article quota. Reds play almost every day and you can catch the highlights and slap together the article

• westkycat20
      7:57 pm August 23, 2020 Permalink

This could also be done with the weather….so that’s not a good excuse…..this started last year…the same time that Matt “decided” to follow baseball more closely, in particular the Reds. Follow the money and it says that he would like more people watching Reds games at the bar. The only problem with that is….the Reds suck.