Reading Rainbow‘s Thursday News and Views

@UKEquipment

Would you like to read the best piece of news to hit the internet all day Wednesday? I don’t know how to tell you this, you probably won’t believe it, but LeVar Burton is trying to bring back Reading Rainbow. This is serious, people.

The 57-year-old Burton wants to revive the popular educational program that debuted in 1983 by launching a Kickstarter campaign to raise funds for its return. Burton set out to reach a goal of $1 million on Wednesday, and as I write this, he is sitting on $1,259,550 from almost 30,000 backers. That means, in less than one day, Burton raised seven figures in contributions for the return of Reading Rainbow. It has to happen.

Reading Rainbow won 26 Emmys during its original run through 2006 and I smell one more coming in 2015. This comeback ranks up there with Michael Jordan’s in ’95, if it happens and LeVar Burton doesn’t just run away with the cash.

Let’s watch the old intro for a trip down memory lane…

I’ll be singing that for the next three days.

*****

John Calipari wants to see half of the SEC in the NCAA tourney in two years.

“We’ve got to be a cool league to play in,” Coach Cal told reporters at the SEC meetings in Destin on Wednesday. He said the goal should be to have half of the teams in the conference playing in the NCAA Tournament in 2016. He thinks the SEC Network will help with recruiting and branding the league.

He also said he told Bruce Pearl to keep his shirt on at Auburn. “He’ll do a good job there.”

Jaylen Brown wants to visit Kentucky.

In his blog for USA Today Sports, class of 2015 star Jaylen Brown wrote that he knows he wants to take official visits to UCLA and Kentucky. “But I’m still not gonna rush anything,” he said. “By the end of basketball season of my senior year I’ll have a decision. Before then, I just don’t know.”

He also wrote this:

I’ll be honest, the process is getting a little annoying; I’m getting a little tired of it. It’s a blessing and a curse at the same time. I’m not sure when I’ll be making my decision, I just know that I’m kinda ready to get it over with.

The Marietta, Georgia prospect is ranked No. 6 in the Top247 and Kentucky leads his Crystal Ball predictions at 63 percent.

New Vanderbilt head football coach Derek Mason has shiny new business cards.

But will those gold business cards help him keep up with the great job James Franklin did in Nashville? Doubtful.

Speaking of gold…

Keep voting for A.J. Reed for the Golden Spikes Award.

Click here to vote.

And be sure to check out Nick Jourdan’s piece on Reed beneath this one on the site. Good stuff.

Karl Towns wears the biggest shoe in the John Calipari era.

@UKEquipment

@UKEquipment

A shipment arrived at the Joe Craft Center Wednesday afternoon carrying the team’s new shoes for summer basketball, and one pair stood out among the rest. It was Karl Towns’ size 20, the largest of any of the Wildcats to play under John Calipari.

If Towns were in the NBA, he would share the biggest feet title with Brooke and Robin Lopez, the only two current pros to wear a 20. There’s a little fun fact for ya.

Lance Stephenson has lost his damn mind.

Don’t wake the beast.

Kentucky football added a new preferred walk-on.

Former Paducah Tilghman kicker Miles Butler will walk on to the Kentucky football team next season, he announced in a ceremony at his high school Wednesday afternoon. Butler accepted a preferred walk-on spot with the Cats over an academic scholarship to Alabama, where he was going to try to walk on with the football team had Tuscaloosa been his final destination.

After his big announcement, Butler tweeted, “Despite having a great academic opportunity at the University of Alabama, I’m SO excited to join BIG BLUE NATION”

Welcome.

The SEC Championship is moving to 1:00 p.m. in 2015.

You’ll have to start your pregaming a little earlier when Kentucky reaches Sunday of the SEC Tournament next season. The conference announced on Wednesday that the championship game will be played at 1:00 p.m. on ESPN, freeing up an extra two hours before the selection show begins.

Last season’s title game with Florida tipped off at 3:15 on ABC.

Happy Trails to Mrs. Libby Gooch, my 5th grade teacher.

mrs-gooch

Before we part ways for the evening, I would like to give a special shout-out to Mrs. Gooch, the reason I read and write at a 5th-grade level today. Mrs. Gooch kept me on task in the classroom when my focus was on a not-so-promising kickball career and trying to hold hands with the young ladies of West Broadway Elementary. She is retiring from educating the young minds of Hopkins County at the end of the week to devote all of her time to cheering on the Cats in 2014-15.

So Happy Retirement to my favorite former teacher, who took me out of school one afternoon to represent the entire school and talk trash to the opposition in the county spelling bee: spelling-bee

It’s all about intimidation. Just look at his face. That’s fear.

That’ll do it for now. Go Cats, everybody.

Article written by Drew Franklin

27 Comments for Reading Rainbow‘s Thursday News and Views

1. Gap Tooth Danny
    11:16 pm May 28, 2014 Permalink

Shane Battier just pulled the Dukiest fake flop/non-charge ever…Pacers win.
    #instantkarma

2. BaldyInMendo
    11:29 pm May 28, 2014 Permalink

You’ll like this, Drew. Jimmy Fallon as Jim Morrison singing the reading rainbow song. http://vimeo.com/42437780

3. The Blue Goose
    11:31 pm May 28, 2014 Permalink

So did the kid on the left eat a normal-sized fifth-grader?

• E. S. Peein
      5:36 am May 29, 2014 Permalink

No, that’s against the rules But, he wanted to. He could spell Crisco, Doritos, Pringles, government cheese, Big Mac and Fries, loaded mashed potato, Mac and Cheese, incontinent, gaseous, etc.

4. I Sayy
    11:37 pm May 28, 2014 Permalink

The king will put Lance Stephenson in his place on Friday, Stephenson’s place is on a poster.

5. OldBeeSpeller
    11:44 pm May 28, 2014 Permalink

Did you win the Spelling Bee? If not, you will never forget the word you missed.

6. Chaz
    12:07 am May 29, 2014 Permalink

For those wondering, Bob Lanier (St Bonaventure, Detroit Pistons, Milwaukee Bucks) & Shaq wore size 22’s. KAT has some catching up to do, but he’s still growing, so who knows?

7. Rock McAllister
    12:31 am May 29, 2014 Permalink

Guess that’s it…basically no more watching UK games without paying the exhorbitant rates for cable or satellite. Thanks Disney!

8. BlaineMan
    1:04 am May 29, 2014 Permalink

I like to think that my sister & I played a role in the return of reading rainbow. My sister works in LA as a set designer/builder & a couple months back she texted me, “you won’t believe who I’m working with on this show! It’s Lavar from reading rainbow!” That’s pretty exciting to us since we loved the show as kids. She proceeded to tell him how much we loved the show & missed it. She then took a selfie wih him & sent it to me. Said he was a great guy. It’s back!!

• Al Gore
      11:00 am May 29, 2014 Permalink

I invented the wheel and the interent.

9. nah
    1:12 am May 29, 2014 Permalink

Reading rainbow sucks. Learn how to read the old fashioned way by opening a book not watching t.v. Also Lance Stephenson blowing on LeBron was hilarious, but the Heat win game 6 no doubt about it. Spurs are our only hope. If you like the Heat I hate you.

10. yea
    1:15 am May 29, 2014 Permalink

CATS ALL DAY! TIME FOR 9! Mark it down TALENTED EXPERIENCE HARRISONS POYTHRESS TOWNS CAULEY

11. b_squared01
    1:25 am May 29, 2014 Permalink

What is Jimmy Dykes take on KATs’ size 20…I mean Jarnell Stokes wore a size 20 and he didn’t even know how to stretch!!

12. Ira D. Combs
    2:48 am May 29, 2014 Permalink

If that’s a 5th grader to the far left in that picture I’m betting he is presently in the NFL or WWF or SUMO Wrestling in Japan .

13. Duke
    7:26 am May 29, 2014 Permalink

Most UK fans can’t read. So, Reading Rainbow would be great for you rubes.

• UK
      7:32 am May 29, 2014 Permalink

It’s OK I think we read a little better than Lehigh and Mercer

• Eric Bledsoe
      8:04 am May 29, 2014 Permalink

I no I reeds good Dawg.

• bluemanchew
      9:12 am May 29, 2014 Permalink

I hope this is not a product of the jefferson county public schools. Saying someone can’t read. Look in the mirror buddy. Do you really like what you see.

14. Clam
    7:50 am May 29, 2014 Permalink

Based on the language skills I’ve seen many KSR writers exhibit the last few years, I support anything that increases their literacy.

• bluemanchew
      9:14 am May 29, 2014 Permalink

You can always go read lewisville sports radio. Yea I forgot again, there isn’t one.

• Clam
      10:07 am May 29, 2014 Permalink

Actually, I’m a UK graduate. But I am also a fan of good writing. We get less of that at KSR than we used to.

• Haha
      11:56 am May 29, 2014 Permalink

Why don’t you leave?

15. Tom Blevins
    8:12 am May 29, 2014 Permalink

How cool that you’re from Hopkins County. I lived in Nebo from1984 to 1988. Hopkins County still holds a special place in my heart.

16. fan34
    9:18 am May 29, 2014 Permalink

I hate the Heat so much, especially Wade, but Lebron is going to kill the Pacers in game 6. Spurs are the only hope left, I don’t think the Thunder can do it.

17. Michael Sam
    9:40 am May 29, 2014 Permalink

I am doing the happy dance in your front yard, and I’d like to blow something else on King James, don’t ya know!

Glad the whole world is one big rainbow!

18. EKYfootballCat
    10:04 am May 29, 2014 Permalink

Good to see Matt Elam is a great speller! How far did he go in the competititon?

19. Price
    11:07 pm May 29, 2014 Permalink

I’ll bet young Andre the Giant totally crushed Drew Franklin immediately following that picture