R.L. Stine’s Thursday Morning Wakeup

The greatest author in the history of fictional literature celebrates his 72nd birthday today. I’m talking about R.L. Stein, the man behind the Goosebumps series of children’s horror fiction novels.

As the owner of every single Goosebumps book from the original series — all 62 of them and some of the terrible ones that followed — I will be celebrating Stein’s birthday by drinking monster blood in my Camp Nightmare t-shirt and getting revenge on the lawn gnomes. I may even take a walk around Fever Swamp before the scarecrow walks at midnight, who knows.

I do know that, next week, I will be the first in line to see the new Goosebumps movie:

Pretty pumped about that one.

And while we’re on the subject, I’ll go ahead and admit the last book I read from start to finish was a Goosebumps book, about 15 years ago. (I’m not a big reader.)

Happy Birthday to my favorite author!

Karl-Anthony Towns shined in NBA preseason debut.

Towns saw his first NBA action last night against the Oklahoma City Thunder and it was a great start to the No. 1 pick’s career. He scored 18 points with five rebounds and two blocks in the loss to the Thunder. Most of his night was spent battling inside with another former Cat in Enes Kanter.

Willie Cauley-Stein said playing for the Kings is the same as playing for Kentucky.

“It’s pretty much the same as at Kentucky, for real,” he told the media, after last night’s game against Phoenix. “It’s the same offense, it’s the same defense. Now it’s just better players, bigger bodies. You just got to learn how to play with them.”

Cauley-Stein had eight points, seven rebounds and three blocks against the Suns in a game that featured seven former Wildcats.

Willie Cauley-Stein: 8 pts, 7 reb, 3 blks
DeMarcus Cousins: 15 pts, 8 reb
Rajon Rondo: 5 pts, 5 ast, 5 to
Devin Booker: 6 pts, 3 reb
Eric Bledsoe: 13 pts, 4 ast, 4 stl
Brandon Knight: 19 pts, 4 reb, 2 ast
Archie Goodwin: 3 pts, 2 ast

The Wildcat Play of the Game was Rondo hitting Cauley-Stein for a slam:

Remember that time Rick Pitino took his Boston basketball team to the strip club?

The Courier-Journal’s Tim Sullivan does. He reminded everyone of that alleged trip from a 25-year old book, “Raw Recruits.”

According to the 1990 book written by Alexander Wolff and Armen Keteyian, Pitino’s Boston University team made at least one unscheduled stop following a road game for adult entertainment.

“After one upset victory at Rhode Island,” the book says, “Pitino was so juiced he ordered the team bus to stop at a strip joint on the way back to campus. There he led his players in wolf whistles, even disbursing dollar bills so they could stuff them into the dancers’ G-strings.” [Courier-Journal]

Louisville spokesman Kenny Klein, after speaking to Pitino, said yesterday, “It never happened. The team walked in to get food, thinking it was a restaurant. They found out it wasn’t and walked out.”

Yeah, okay. Because it’s so hard to identify a strip club.

Did you listen to the KSR football podcast yesterday?

I feel like we say this every week, but I think it’s the best one yet. It is by the far the goofiest with Freddie Maggard, of all people, leading the off-topic discussion. He is alone at home this week and shared more of himself than any of us ever knew or could’ve imagined. Definitely give it a listen. There is good football talk in there, too.

Subscribe to “Kentucky Sports Radio” on iTunes or listen here.

Dick Cady will be a guest on Kentucky Sports Radio radio this morning.

The author of Breaking Cardinal Rules will call in to KSR to talk about the book, the allegations, and why we should believe everything. That is must-hear radio for Kentucky fans.

Go Cats.

Article written by Drew Franklin

19 Comments for R.L. Stine’s Thursday Morning Wakeup

1. Josh
    9:15 am October 8, 2015 Permalink

I am with Rick on this one. On several occasions I have mistaken Spearmint Rhino for work, grocery, etc.

• inside info2
      11:10 am October 8, 2015 Permalink

I lol’d at this

2. MikeyLikesIt
    9:16 am October 8, 2015 Permalink

I don’t care how good that Shoney’s model is in Elizabethtown. I’m not confusing it with a strip club.

3. MikeyLikesIt
    9:17 am October 8, 2015 Permalink

*remodel

4. Keith Whitley
    9:19 am October 8, 2015 Permalink

Rick’s no stranger to some strange.

5. BigBlue
    9:20 am October 8, 2015 Permalink

Got to be the worst excuse in the universe! C’mon they surly could have thought of something smarter than that!

6. RICK
    9:20 am October 8, 2015 Permalink

Who one the Ky., Ark. game last night?

• BlueRedneck
      10:05 am October 8, 2015 Permalink

Are you asking about volleyball? UK won in 3 sets. 5-0 in the SEC!

7. Rixter
    9:57 am October 8, 2015 Permalink

++Louisville spokesman Kenny Klein, after speaking to Pitino, said yesterday, “It never happened. The team walked in to get food, thinking it was a restaurant. They found out it wasn’t and walked out.”++

Sullivan’s article went on to say a former player from that BU team was asked about it, he said it never happened. They never went into a strip club, even by accident, and in fact, never stopped for meals after games.

Pitino just develops a culture of lying, doesn’t he? How can you believe ANYBODY? You ask 3 Pitino people a question, and you get 3 different stories.

• BlueRedneck
      10:05 am October 8, 2015 Permalink

Sounds like a lot of revisionist history, doesn’t it?

• chimichanga
      11:07 am October 8, 2015 Permalink

Hopefully the NCAA takes note of these types of inconsistencies as there will surely be plenty in their investigation.

8. CardinalCock69
    10:24 am October 8, 2015 Permalink

Hey Drew,
    So u said the last bit book u read was not “Breaking Cardinal Rules”? That is a sin in itself

• CardinalCock69
      10:24 am October 8, 2015 Permalink

The bit part was not supposed to be in there sorry

9. DT in DC
    10:31 am October 8, 2015 Permalink

If it did happen at BU, I hope they don’t find out anything like that happened during his time at UK. You know we’d get the death penalty for it!

• Seriously
      11:03 am October 8, 2015 Permalink

I feel like people are forgetting that Pitino was a coach here in 90s or something…

If he truly is behind this and hookergate then what’s to say he didn’t do the same thing while he was here in the 90s. You think if he gets caught up in a lie and is forced to step down, he wouldn’t take Kentucky down with him after all the hate that’s been spewed his way?

I hate Louisville as much as the next guy but if this whole thing is true, I’d rather it be tied to a booster than to Pitino.

10. Me
    11:09 am October 8, 2015 Permalink

Archie Goodwin had 2 assists???? That means he passed the ball TWICE. First time got everything I guess.

11. Duff
    11:35 am October 8, 2015 Permalink

What is wrong with taking men who are over the age of 18 to a strip club. They are adults. Whether or not Pitino gave them cash to pay the strippers, who knows. Impossible to prove. Not defending Pitino on this just stating some facts. Obviously, if true, it would just be another dig at Pitino’s character.

• BlueBloodtoo
      2:15 pm October 8, 2015 Permalink

I understand that the legal age of going to a strip club can be as low as 18 in some states, but just because you can do something doesn’t mean you should. Obviously, that’s a morality question and a valid one for many people. However, it’s not a decision to which a college coach (read: leadership qualities) should be subjecting the entire team. If you don’t believe me, ask that parents of those kids what they think about it.

Skip that, ask the athletic director of ANY NCAA school what they would advise the coach about that decision.

12. BlueBloodtoo
    1:36 pm October 8, 2015 Permalink

Mistaking a strip club for a restaurant? Yea, that’s totally easy to do. The tinted windows or lack thereof, the cover charge and ID required signs, the clientele. I’ve totally had this happen so many times with my parents and kids going out to family dinners. WTF?!