Quick hitters from Mitch Barnhart

barnhart

Mitch Barnhart led off the action early this morning before Mark Stoops got down to the meat and potatoes of what’s been happening at practice this week. Barnhart’s comments were geared more towards facilities and gameday atmosphere:

— For you fans of “My Old Kentucky Home,” Barnhart confirmed it will be played before and after games. The idea of playing it before the start of the fourth quarter got scrapped by the fans on the BBN First website, but it will still get its moment(s) in Commonwealth Stadium this fall.

— Roughly 1,700 fans offered suggestions for improving the gameday experience

— Alabama may have the rings, Ole Miss and Georgia may flaunt the hottest girls, and Tennessee the most arrests, but according to Barnhart, Kentucky HAS THE BEST PARKING IN THE SEC. SAY SOMETHIN’ NOW HATERS! WOOOO!!! TURN UP ONE TIME CATS FANS! LETS GO! P-A-R-K! PARK! PARK! PARK!

This is me when he said that…

face

@mikewpatton called us Big Blacktop Nation.

— Though Stoops favors it, Mitch doesn’t see a day when the Power 5 conferences play only Power 5 teams in the non-conference. He believes schedules should be determined at the institutional level and if a program’s strength of schedule isn’t difficult enough in the end, so be it, its their own fault. He said UK needs that FCS opponent every year because the SEC slate makes the schedule hard enough already.

— The new UK practice facility will be roughly 100,00 square feet and will house all of the team’s offices, weight rooms, meeting rooms, locker rooms, player lounges and more. It’s going to be awesome and it will be open for business Spring 2016.

Article written by Drew Franklin

11 Comments for Quick hitters from Mitch Barnhart

1. Bill Nye
    11:21 am August 8, 2014 Permalink

I thought the headline read “Switch Hitters For Mitch” and got a woody.

2. JRock1966
    11:29 am August 8, 2014 Permalink

Don’t get me wrong as I am happy for Stoops & Co. for getting the new practice facility and it’s better late than never. But I just think it’s a shame they could not have done this for Coach Brooks or even Coach Claiborne.

• Dr. Van Nostrand
      12:17 pm August 8, 2014 Permalink

I agree, previous UK Administration’s should have done this a long time ago. They’re the reason UK Athletics has to play “catch up” in athletic facilities to programs like Louisville. They were simply asleep at the wheel and never took action.

While I have not always been a Mitch Barnhart supporter, you have to give him credit; he’s quietly turning UK Athletics into a money making machine. And he’s now getting to cash in some of that capital.

Its amazing how much the rest of UK’s Campus has changed since 2009… and I cant wait to see what the Athletic Department will look like in 10 yrs.

3. claiborne_field
    11:32 am August 8, 2014 Permalink

I like Barnhart and what he’s done for the athletic department but I disagree with his scheduling opinion. It’s a losing mentality- keep it easy because we’ll lose otherwise. Instead, how about we work to upgrade the program and in turn upgrade the competition. Better games = better program

• Blue To The Bone...
      12:06 pm August 8, 2014 Permalink

You may disagree with the scheduling opinion , but you need to understand that NONE of the FBS schools are going to play you without return game and to Mitch he has to think about the financial end of things and losing a home game means a lot of money…

• STEVE!
      1:14 pm August 8, 2014 Permalink

I agree, and I felt the same way when he announced he was spending $100MM to REDUCE seating capacity at Commonwealth by 10%. It was as if he was saying we will never again have a good enough team to fill the existing seats. We’re probably the only SEC team looking to decrease attendance.

4. Coal Miner
    11:48 am August 8, 2014 Permalink

100,00 square feet? That’s huge, Drew.
    Sorry, man, had to bust your chaps….. You’re packing for the Bahama’s and I’m at the office……

5. Casper
    12:37 pm August 8, 2014 Permalink

LOL, PARK! PARK! PARK!

6. Let's Be Reasonable
    1:03 pm August 8, 2014 Permalink

I know you’ve been to other SEC stadiums Drew, and Mitch is right. The parking is the best in conference, top 2 at the worst. It wasn’t the focal point of his presser, it was almost a throwaway comment, and he said plenty of other great stuff. I get it. We want to win. We don’t want to brag about our parking instead of our defense, but seriously, Idk why you gotta hate on the man for telling the truth. I think he’s just trying to keep things in perspective. If you got mad parking game, play ball.

• Adam from Awesome Trot
      2:40 pm August 8, 2014 Permalink

I’ve been to a couple of other SEC football stadiums, and you may have to park over a mile and a half away.

7. UKfan
    2:21 pm August 8, 2014 Permalink

I am glad Mitch is our athletic director. I feel like he always has his priorities straight and I don’t feel like the NCAA will be breathing down our neck with him in charge.