It has only been a short few months since we last saw our Olympic games, but I am already going through withdrawals. What brings so many fans of so many different sports together like the Olympics? What is better than staying up until 4 a.m. watching long jump or rhythmic gymnastics with your closest friends? Probably the ridiculous American flag clothing we get an excuse to wear, but that’s not the point. Nothing says ‘Merica like the Olympics.
On this day in 2012, Queen Elizabeth opened the London Olympics and we witnessed an amazing opening ceremony (and the reunion of the Spice girls), reminding us all why we love the UK so much. Knowing we still have two years before we will get to witness our next Olympic games is depressing.
Here is a four hour video of the opening ceremony to help us through this day. I know you will watch every minute of it, like I will.
Anyways. Here are some morning links to start your day:
– The parents of Trent DiGiuro, a UK Football player who was shot to death two decades ago, held a fundraising event in his honor yesterday.The event was held to raise money for scholarships in Trent’s name. The event was the third annual polo event the family has held.
– Byron Scott has confirmed he will be the next Lakers coach. As reported last night, the former Cavaliers coach has agreed to a four-year, $17 million contract with the Lakers, who also hold the option of keeping him for the final year.
– Jim Irsay is slowly winning back his fans after his arrest a few months ago in which he was charged with two misdemeanors. How is he doing this you ask? By showing up to events with $29,000 and passing out $100 bills. I wonder if he is looking to adopt?
– In the shortest video interview ever released, Eric Bledsoe recently talked about his contract negotiations with the Suns. Bledsoe had been offered a 4-year, $46 million deal, but the two sides are still way off, apparently.
– Mark Story thinks it is time to ‘reset’ attitudes on both sides of the UK-UL rivalry, saying the ‘rivalry dynamic’ of the two teams competitiveness against each other is off. He also says there is no longer a ‘big brother’/ ‘little brother’ thing going on, but they will always be little brother to me.
– Cleveland is apparently ‘stunned’ Johnny Manziel likes to party, leaving the question of if they actually do background checks on their players for anything off the field. Deadspin did an awesome open letter to the Browns, asking all the questions we want to know. No word back yet though on if they responded.
– A kid with an awesome name and an awesome build is starting to get on the radar of a few teams. At the AAU National Championships this past week, 7 feet 5 and 290 [pound Tacko Fall stood out among his peers. The Senegal native stood out among the other players who just stood in the area of 6-foot-7. Sounds like Drew’s kind of dude.
–What does being the ‘Baddest Dude’ on the offensive line mean? Larry Vaught lets us know what Jordan Swindle thinks after being called that by Neal Brown.