Quade Green’s high school coach believes he will be back

Don’t pencil him into the lineup for 2018-2019 just yet, but Quade Green’s Neumann-Goretti High School coach, Carl Arrigale, believes he will be back for next season.

And before you start saying “Well, where would he go?” just wait. We know that Green isn’t projected on 2018 NBA Draft boards and transferring wouldn’t seem to make sense, but this is Kentucky basketball with John Calipari as the head coach. Strange things can happen.

“Listen, he didn’t go to UK because he liked horses and bluegrass,” Arrigale told Kentucky Sports Radio. “Things were tough but he can handle that. It was an adjustment but no play coming in is going to scare him away. No one will break him and he’s not going to run from anything.”

UK will bring in guards Immanuel Quickley and Tyler Herro in the class of 2018. Keldon Johnson is considered a wing and shouldn’t hurt Green’s playing time for next season.

But that may not be it for next season. UK also leads for 2019 guard Ashton Hagans but it appears he will reclassify and play college basketball next season.

“He’s never going to run from anything,” Arrigale said. “I can’t imagine he’s going to come out so I can only assume he will be back from Lexington. I haven’t been able to talk with him but I know he was home last weekend but there was family stuff with Easter. I didn’t get to see him and have a long chat.”

Arrigale was fresh off winning a Pennsylvania state championship last week, something he did a couple times with Green as his point guard.

Green averaged 9.3 points and 2.7 assists per game in his first season in Lexington. Those would be phenominal for a freshmen almost anywhere else, but Green wasn’t considered one of the first three or four options for the Cats last season.

Green missed three games during the SEC play because of a back injury but also suffered an eye injury in December. Arrigale said that Green never was truly able to hit his stride because of injuries.

“I got to watch most of them but if we’re playing or practicing I’ll tape it and watch it back,” Arrigale said. “I thought his freshman year was up-and-down and his role would change. Then he’d have to adjust to a new role. I think the injury really set him back because he was starting to play well.

“That’s when Shai started to take over. Quade came back and he had a new role.”

Many expected Green to be the starter and Shai Gilgeous-Alexander to be the multiyear player, but as SGA continued to star Green took a step to the side.

“The team was so inconsistent,” Arrigale said. “I wasn’t on the staff so I have no idea what was going on but I’m sure it was frustrating at times. It seemed like things kept happening with injuries and it was a revolving door of guys stepping up and going down with rotations and combinations.

“I haven’t spoken with Quade about the season, not personally, but I think he did a solid job adjusting to different roles. He was pretty good but he still has ways to go. He was averaging double-figures most of the year on a young team that struggled at times and played really well at times. I really thought they were playing well enough at the end to make a serious run.”

The serious run was overly serious. UK lost in the Sweet 16 for the first time under Calipari and the upset to Kansas State denied UK a chance at another Final Four.

Green’s specialty towards the end of the season was his three-point shooting.  He shot nearly 38 percent from deep and was on of UK’s most consistent shooters last season.

Sadly for the Cats his last three-point shot was way off. Late in the game against Kansas State with the Cats down two Green forced a deep three that was nowhere close.

“I knew he was going to take it,” Arrigale said. “It was such a weird game. There we no easy baskets. I saw the look in Quade’s face. He made a few early shots and I thought that he could win the game for UK because I’ve seen him in those spots. It just seemed like when the game went on he lost his focus a little bit.”

And that last possession may speak to Green’s overall season at UK.

“At times Quade just didn’t look as sure of himself,” Arrigale said. “When he was free and confident he played a lot better. At times he looked overconfident where things got in the way but I’d rather have a kid like that than one that’s afraid of everything. There were times he just looked like he was trying too hard to please. There would be times he would have a great first half but only shoot one or two in the second half. I don’t know if that was by design, if that’s on Quade or just the way UK wanted play.

Arrigale doesn’t imagine a scenario where Green isn’t back in Lexington next season. The draft may be a year or two away and Arrigale said there’s no indication Green would want to transfer.

Even if there were transfer rumblings (there aren’t), Arrigale couldn’t imagine Green sitting out a year and doing nothing but practicing.

And a sophomore Green is exactly what UK will need next season. As intriguing as other freshmen guards may be, none will have Green’s experience and him and Tyler Herro will battle for the best outside shooter on next year’s team.

“Oh, Quade had a blast,” Arrigale said speaking about Green’s first year. “He loved the guys and the coaching. Just as his old coach I just thought there was more he could give the team but he has to deal with what his coaches want him to do. I’m not criticizing anybody. I’m not at practice and I hate guys that do that stuff. I just don’t think he took enough shots when his role changed.”

[mobile_ad]

Article written by TJ Walker

22 Comments for Quade Green’s high school coach believes he will be back

1. FlatTopsAndBlockedShots
    4:13 pm April 5, 2018 Permalink

Possessions per game, passes per possession, assists per game, shots per game, and 3pt % were all up when Quade was the starter. Only 17% of made baskets came after 3 dribbles, Shai averaged 7.8 dribbles. Shai is a great player, but was completely guilty of having sticky fingers.

• Cannon717
      4:50 pm April 5, 2018 Permalink

Talk about Advanced analytics, you could always see the offense was always more fluent when Q was in the game,

• makeitstop
      4:56 pm April 5, 2018 Permalink

That’s great data! Especially the lack of scoring after 3 dribbles. Is that out of the half court only or does in include fast breaks which would remove most of the “good” multi dribble possessions. When his system doesn’t look good it’s more like the dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble drive…. and that’s not pretty! Really interesting break down.

• Underdog
      5:27 pm April 5, 2018 Permalink

Dribbles by ONE player? Or dribbles during an entire possession? I assume it means when one person dribbles 3 dribbles or less, his shooting percentage is more, and when 4 or more, it’s a lower percentage.

Shai averaged 5.1 assists. That’s not too sticky. Quade’s average was 2.7.

I don’t believe that dribble stat is very accurate. Does it take into account shots attempts that ended in a foul and /or free throws? Probably not. You put those in there, and he’s up to his 2-point FG% of plus 50%. In fact, anybody who watched UK knows that MOST of Shai’s shots were dribbling more than 3 dribbles and most culminated in layups.

2. ukcamel
    4:30 pm April 5, 2018 Permalink

We have a tendency to overvalue incoming players and undervalue returning players (and then get incredulous when these expectations don’t pan out). Quade is better than any of the incoming guards. Maybe Quickley ends up better, but he isn’t John Wall and I’d still rather have Quade if I had to choose one guy to run point next year – assuming Shai is off the table of course.

• Rembrandt
      8:01 am April 6, 2018 Permalink

“Quade is better than any of the incoming guards”

Let’s drill down on your statement. I will agree with you that Quade Green, with the benefit of a year of college playing experience, will have more to offer next year’s team at the beginning of the season than Quickley. Quade is a tenacious player. The question with Quade will always be whether his ability to knock down perimeter shots is worth the defensive problems caused by his size and reaction issues. Initially, Quickley probably can’t offer what Quade offers. Herro is a wing who won’t initially take time from Green. But if Hagans commits and reclassifies, his superior strength and defensive skills bring qualities that Quade and Quickley just can’t.

Because Baker wasn’t ready to play, Cal got through this year with Green, Diallo, and Gilgeous Alexander. It looks like Diallo and Gilgeous Alexander are leaving. I’m glad Cal is recruiting enough incoming guards to create more competition and address all the scenarios that a ranked team encounters during a successful season. Green has a role to play, but I think Hagans will be next year’s starting point guard.

• ukcamel
      10:14 am April 6, 2018 Permalink

I agree completely that having these guards come in is great and sure, either Quickley or Hagans or Herro could end up being more important next year. However, we have seen freshman struggle when we expected them to shine before. Look at the Harrison twins for example, who were more highly regarded recruits than any of these guys. Briscoe and Archie Goodwin are two other examples. It’s easy to forget that we all thought these guys would be world-beaters from the get-go.

All that is to say that I’m really happy to have a known quantity in Quade, same with PJ when he comes back.

3. Rixter
    4:54 pm April 5, 2018 Permalink

WHEW! Now we just have to wait out Nick Richards’ decision.

• TJ Walker
      5:53 pm April 5, 2018 Permalink

Any scoop?!

• Rixter
      8:00 am April 6, 2018 Permalink

TJ, my sources tell me… this article seems to have been posted twice. Is it true your first two articles written for KSR were really the same article? Can we expect to see it again?
      Asking for a friend.

4. shelby
    5:28 pm April 5, 2018 Permalink

I really like Quade; i think he’s got that “dawg” mentality…not afraid to take the big shot and he’s an excellent shooter. I believe he starts next year.

5. runningunnin.454
    5:53 pm April 5, 2018 Permalink

If there are no transfer rumblings, why bring it up? SGA might have been better at creating his own shot; but, Quade ran the point more effectively; and, his outside shooting improved throughout the year.
    The new guys will have the adjustment to the college game, and Quade has been through the wars.
    In my mind, Quade is the PG next year.

6. Randall lee
    7:01 pm April 5, 2018 Permalink

File this under DUH! Or NO SH#T!

7. chase
    7:13 pm April 5, 2018 Permalink

Johnny David’s high school coach believes he will be back next year too!

8. TonyMontana
    8:53 pm April 5, 2018 Permalink

I love Quade. Was always happy when he came in. He’s gonna get better and better. Reminds me a little bit of Ulis.

9. bigbluehank
    12:37 am April 6, 2018 Permalink

Quade could be a phenomenal 3-4 year player at UK. I truly hope Cal doesn’t brush him to the side as he continues to recruit these talented guards.

10. Megan
    5:10 am April 6, 2018 Permalink

Most important thing the coach said: “I haven’t been able to talk with him.”

11. W1ldCats4Life
    6:49 am April 6, 2018 Permalink

You cannot replace experience. The trials Q went through this year will make him one of if not the best PG in the country next season. The lack of experience beat down on the youth this season, and truly they all need another year just to showcase the true talent they all have. Q will do that and will get a ring for it! This team is starting to shape up like the 2012 roster in comparison to overall talent level & experience. Next year will be magical if SGA is the only one to make the jump….and that’s no guarantee.

12. DerBaron
    7:18 am April 6, 2018 Permalink

He’s a gamer like Tyler. We need more of these kids.

13. Kat4Life
    8:20 am April 6, 2018 Permalink

Awesome first article from our newbie……good stuff TJ

14. Mark D
    9:02 am April 6, 2018 Permalink

Guys like Quade stick around at Kansas and UNC. He might not be a superstar yet, but man he’s nice to have on the team while he continues to develope.

15. Miller45