On this morning’s edition of Kentucky Sports Radio radio, Matt Jones and Ryan Lemond will look ahead to Kentucky’s future with their NCAA Tournament projections, as well as other basketball talk.

Louisville’s troubles will also be a hot topic, per usual.

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

WLSI (900am) Pikeville
WPRT (960am): Prestonsburg
WSFC (1240am): Somerset
WTCW (920am): Whitesburg
WHAY (98.3fm): Whitley City
WBTH (1400am): Williamson
PRTC TV Channels 209 & 409: Jackson & Owlsey Counties (Replayed at 1 and 6)

On Delay (ALL TIMES LISTED EASTERN)…

WVHI (1330am): Evansville, IN, 5-7pm
WMTL (870am): Leitchfield, 11am-1pm
WLBQ (1570am): Morgantown, 3-5pm
WRIL (106.3fm): Middlesboro, Thur 8-10pm
WWTF (1580am): Lexington, 4-6pm

Article written by Drew Franklin

32 Comments for Projecting Kentucky in the tourney and other basketball talk (Tuesday Show Thread)

1. UK_JB
    9:53 am February 16, 2016 Permalink

Anyone sick of this snow yet?

Big congrats to Chris Stapleton last night.

I can see UK going pretty far and I hope we can get in to the Yum!

• ukjaybrat
      10:07 am February 16, 2016 Permalink

In a rare change of events, I just want to go back to work. Had a sick kid all weekend. I don’t know what the sun looks like anymore 🙁

• J-Dub421
      10:29 am February 16, 2016 Permalink

I was sick of the snow and winter a month ago.

2. nicky
    10:10 am February 16, 2016 Permalink

Uh oh….Matt in a conundrum this morning…having to take to task fellow liberal Ricky Jones

3. Dizzyd2k3
    10:11 am February 16, 2016 Permalink

I had a great President’s Day, I actually got to tour Commonwealth and got to see a lot of great things a fan don’t normally get to see! Thanks to the UK ticket office for making yesterday awesome!

4. CATandMONKEY
    10:14 am February 16, 2016 Permalink

Matt – as a good attorney, you should know that the number of law degrees now granted far exceeds the demand. In any the profession, the top 5% will do well…even in Jazz. (a far superior art form when compared to 70’s country…now Bluegrasss – well that is the filet mignon of “country-folk” music. 🙂

• Sentient Third Eye
      10:29 am February 16, 2016 Permalink

It’s all a matter of taste. In terms of complexity and degree of difficulty, bluegrass is very comparable to jazz, actually. And there is almost no connection between 70s country and bluegrass. 30s country, yes, but 70s country was defined by pop-influenced acts like Kenny Rogers and the Kendalls, and the music did not get back to its country roots until the early eighties when Randy Travis created a movement called “new traditionalism”. Fast forward to today and country now is so pop-oriented that we need a new “third wave traditionalism” to save country, imho.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:37 am February 16, 2016 Permalink

That was sort of my poorly explained point. I play bluegrass, some jazz, claasiical ( all at what I consider a mediocre level) and a great deal of “Newgrass” a la Bush, Grisman, etc. I played rock for a living for about 5 years in the 80s/90s. If I could go back I would have honed my jazz chops and applied them to every style of music I enjoy.
      I really just wanted to dis Matt for his love of Conway Twitty.
      I remain amazed by how many bluegrass and future country stars began their career schlepping through Lexington at The Holiday Inn North.

• Sentient Third Eye
      10:40 am February 16, 2016 Permalink

Lol…gotcha. Nothing wrong with busing Matt’s chops (though I do like Conway as well – he was my Momma’s favorite growing up).

• J-Dub421
      10:44 am February 16, 2016 Permalink

Now I’m curious. What instrument do you play?

• CATandMONKEY
      10:46 am February 16, 2016 Permalink

Conway had an awesome voice and I love jamming with a few older guys ( i am a few shy of 50) who totally nail the Twitty vibe. It is Matt’s misplaced love of Conway over all other music that causes my derision. Am a firm believer that there is only good music and bad music and genres are of little consequence to me, except to explain to non-musicians what kind of music I like.

• Sentient Third Eye
      11:02 am February 16, 2016 Permalink

Conway sometimes doesn’t get the credit he deserves as an artist because, honestly, he did shamelessly pander to his female fans on many songs. But he was still a tremendous talent who could make a good song great.

• CATandMONKEY
      11:09 am February 16, 2016 Permalink

Vocals, keys, Mandolin, bass, guitar (poorly), percussion -mediocre. The road life of a musician was a bit much after a few years. A nice STEM career allowsme to now buy all the toys I ciuld never afford when I was active in the game.

• CATandMONKEY
      11:10 am February 16, 2016 Permalink

…but obviously did not improve my ability to proof a post before hitting send.

5. RealCatsFan
    10:41 am February 16, 2016 Permalink

Somebody has to say it – That is SO Bullitt County!!

6. Sentient Third Eye
    10:59 am February 16, 2016 Permalink

Concerning Scalia, it is odd there was no autopsy. I mean, they did an autopsy on JFK after the entire nation saw his cause of death on national television, so why not in this case? Very bizarre. I’m the absolute most skeptical person alive about conspiracy theories, but even I see that there’s something strange going on. If I think that, then basically anyone would.

7. J-Dub421
    11:11 am February 16, 2016 Permalink

Jerry Tipton is a troll.

• Realme
      11:13 am February 16, 2016 Permalink

And a very lazy journalist who consistently comes up with his story ideas then finds a way to get a quote to support the dumb article he wants to write.

• RealCatsFan
      11:18 am February 16, 2016 Permalink

So my question – why direct your angst at Cal instead of the azzhole ref who obviously has it out for Cal and called the ridiculous double technicals in the first place? I think 95% of BBN were right behind Cal in wanting to rip that ref’s head off. Cal was tired of getting jobbed by the refs for every road game, and he was not going to stand for it any more. It will be very interesting to see if that changes any going forward in the season.

• Realme
      11:22 am February 16, 2016 Permalink

When I first watched the game it all kind of ran together. Second time through, I realized Cal didn’t go ballistic until after he got the second tech. He was mad and probably deserved one, but getting 2 in quick succession was about the ref’s ego. Not until after he’s just been ejected from an important game before it even gets going does he lose his mind. And no one knows what the ref said to him. And no public accountability will ever happen to Sirmons, so he’s where all my outrage goes.

• J-Dub421
      11:22 am February 16, 2016 Permalink

Who knows? She’s just some old lady with too much time on her hands who likes to complain obviously.

8. J-Dub421
    11:20 am February 16, 2016 Permalink

Does anyone besides me find it hilarious that Kanye West wrote a song called Gold Digger, then went and married a Kardashian??

• Realme
      11:23 am February 16, 2016 Permalink

Can’t he just ask her for help with his debt problem?

• Go Deep
      11:26 am February 16, 2016 Permalink

No, you’re the only one.

• J-Dub421
      11:27 am February 16, 2016 Permalink

Irony is amusing.

9. Realme
    11:25 am February 16, 2016 Permalink

These people questioning Alex’s value need to learn the difference between correlation and causation.

• J-Dub421
      11:26 am February 16, 2016 Permalink

I know we needed Alex against Wisconsin last season.

10. Go Deep
    11:25 am February 16, 2016 Permalink

Seems like someone at the game sitting close to the action would have heard what happened during the exchange between Cal and the referee. Cal can’t discuss but someone sitting there can.

11. Realme
    11:29 am February 16, 2016 Permalink

Referees have too much authority to be able to act without consequence or (public) accountability. It’s one of many ways the NCAA and conferences continue to fail to look out for their students.

12. J-Dub421
    11:38 am February 16, 2016 Permalink

Sirmons reffed three games for us recently (that I know of):

Final 4 vs. Wisconsin – Wisconsin shot 22 free throws, UK shot 10.
    Kansas – Kansas shot 47 free throws, UK shot 22.
    South Carolina – USC shot 31 free throws, UK shot 21.

Those are some rather large discrepancies. In the two games we lost, our opponents shot more than twice as many free throws.

• Realme
      11:41 am February 16, 2016 Permalink

There’s also the stat I saw on Twitter yesterday. That in 20 years before Cal, Sirmons called 4 technicals on Kentucky. In 7 years under Cal, he’s called 12 on us. (according to a tweet I saw. didn’t verify.)

13. Missionary Birds
    11:46 am February 16, 2016 Permalink

I will always remember Jerry Tipton’s flat out lie about see Patrick Patterson driving his new SUV to Rupp for a game when the vehicle was parked at his home in Huntington. He was obviously making an implication to support his agenda to paint UK as crooked. How do liars keep their job as news reporters?