Previewing tonight’s game and football staff changes (Wednesday Show Thread)

Kentucky Sports Radio radio is back in studio this morning to talk University of Kentucky basketball and football. The guys will look ahead to tonight’s game with Eastern Kentucky, and talk potential changes on Mark Stoops’ staff. They will also address some of the burning questions on fans’ minds.

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

WLSI (900am) Pikeville
WPRT (960am): Prestonsburg
WSFC (1240am): Somerset
WTCW (920am): Whitesburg
WHAY (98.3fm): Whitley City
WBTH (1400am): Williamson
PRTC TV Channels 209 & 409: Jackson & Owlsey Counties (Replayed at 1 and 6)

On Delay (ALL TIMES LISTED EASTERN)…

WVHI (1330am): Evansville, IN, 5-7pm
WMTL (870am): Leitchfield, 11am-1pm
WLBQ (1570am): Morgantown, 3-5pm
WRIL (106.3fm): Middlesboro, Thur 8-10pm
WWTF (1580am): Lexington, 4-6pm

Article written by Drew Franklin

42 Comments for Previewing tonight’s game and football staff changes (Wednesday Show Thread)

1. UK_JB
    9:56 am December 9, 2015 Permalink

Unlike the football team, we shouldn’t get nearly blown out.

Caytes by 20 bigguns.

Before going to the game, should stop by Logans of Lexington and ask for you coat.

2. CATandMONKEY
    10:09 am December 9, 2015 Permalink

Ummm….Show Thread?

3. J-Dub421
    10:17 am December 9, 2015 Permalink

Cal is not leaving after this season. All our incoming recruits in basketball already signed their LOI’s.

• ukjaybrat
      10:21 am December 9, 2015 Permalink

on the contrary, he’d be leaving a pretty good squad for the next coach if he left after this year. wouldn’t feel as bad… but no i don’t think he’s leaving either.

• Realme
      10:26 am December 9, 2015 Permalink

I’m gonna need Cal to give me a 3 year warning so I can get used to the idea of letting him go.

• J-Dub421
      10:32 am December 9, 2015 Permalink

I know UK would very likely release them from their LOI’s if Cal left, but the fact that they ALL signed them leads me to believe that he’s not leaving.

• Catsby80
      10:33 am December 9, 2015 Permalink

Lets just play hypotheticals… If Cal did leave after this season.. Who would we go after? Sean Miller? Billy D? I’m just trying to figure out who can fill those shoes…

• RealCatsFan
      10:37 am December 9, 2015 Permalink

Did I miss something during that last phone call I took? Who is starting the latest “Cal is leaving” rumor?

• J-Dub421
      10:40 am December 9, 2015 Permalink

Sean Miller has to prove to me that he can at least make a final four before I would even consider him.

Donovan has spurned us twice, and I don’t think he would like all the media attention that comes with the UK job.

I want to see if Shaka Smart can win at a big boy program like Texas before I would consider him.

Honestly, there is no good answer right now. I don’t like anyone to replace Cal at this point.

• No Billy D please. He had a shot twice and that’s enough.

• ukjaybrat
      10:52 am December 9, 2015 Permalink

The list has to have on it (in no particular order:
      Fred Hoiberg
      Shaka Smart
      Gregg Marshall
      Tony Bennett
      Sean Miller
      Jay Wright
      Billy Donovan
      Mark Few

4. J-Dub421
    10:36 am December 9, 2015 Permalink

A 40% 3-point shooter would be considered pretty good.

5. Realme
    10:37 am December 9, 2015 Permalink

If you can listen to that without getting chills you are a robot.

6. Joe B. Yall
    10:40 am December 9, 2015 Permalink

How does a person have 2 successful marriages? Mormon?

7. RealCatsFan
    10:41 am December 9, 2015 Permalink

Is this Danny calling in, or actually “Dale from Frankfort”? Are they brothers or something?

8. I wish Matt would stop comparing a .500 record in coaching hires with hitting and shooting percentages. Talk about apples and oranges. This is more like apples and F-15’s.

Oh, and those sound clips from Tayshaun are AWESOME! I remember listening to the post game online (on another station…I think the Cats were still on WVLK at the time), and Cameron Mills said that “(insert name of whoever was supposed to be guarding Prince) was the only guy in the gym who didn’t know Tayshaun was going to take that shot” (the really LONG one).

9. J-Dub421
    10:42 am December 9, 2015 Permalink

No AD in the country makes the assistant coaching hires in any sport. This idiot has no idea what he’s talking about.

• cats paw
      10:52 am December 9, 2015 Permalink

Yes, everyone is an idiot or troll that doesn’t agree with you or Matt. Meanwhile you all follow an absolute pathetic football program with a joke of a high paid coaching staff and talk about UK owning Louisville and Tennessee. We’re really the idiots here…

• ukjaybrat
      10:54 am December 9, 2015 Permalink

no, he’s an idiot for thinking the AD makes the assitant coaching decisions. and you are an idiot because you think a straw man argument is a valid one.

• J-Dub421
      10:56 am December 9, 2015 Permalink

He wants to fire the AD but not the head coach who made the hire and blames Barnhart for an assistant coaching hire. That’s pretty idiotic.

Where did I say anything in my comment about Louisville or Tennessee?

Stop saying “we” like you’re a UK fan. I know better.

• Booby Petrino
      12:04 pm December 9, 2015 Permalink

“Meanwhile you all follow an absolute pathetic football program”…meanwhile cats paw makes more comments and predictions about the football team than anyone else, so tell me again who follows a pathetic football program. We all know you’re a Louisville fan but you follow UK more than anyone! Even if you are somehow a UK fan, you still follow the football team more than anyone. And we do own Louisville and TN in basketball. I’ve never read anything here where someone says we own them in football. Goodness I’ve wasted too much time pointing out how dumb you are!

10. RealCatsFan
    10:45 am December 9, 2015 Permalink

“Danny” has Matt all flustered and bothered. ๐Ÿ˜€

• J-Dub421
      10:46 am December 9, 2015 Permalink

Probably because he contradicts himself from statement to statement.

• Booby Petrino
      12:05 pm December 9, 2015 Permalink

Danny is probable cats paw.

11. RealCatsFan
    10:50 am December 9, 2015 Permalink

The timing of that incident couldn’t be worse – losing a child in that way, right before Christmas. Prayers to the family. I can’t imagine what they are going through.

Reminds me of how I felt after the Newtown massacre. That totally robbed the joy of Christmas from me that year. ๐Ÿ™

• Realme
      10:52 am December 9, 2015 Permalink

The boy from Versailles and the girl from Scottsville losing their lives to senseless, sick violence bothers me more than terrorism. Don’t have kids, but if I did, how would I ever let them out of my sight? How could you be human and do something like that?

• J-Dub421
      10:53 am December 9, 2015 Permalink

That guy had to have either had a psychotic break, or been strung out on some serious drugs. The whole thing is baffling and very sad.

12. J-Dub421
    10:51 am December 9, 2015 Permalink

I love Booker, but he played like crap in the Wisconsin game. Why does everyone want him to have played at the end of that game????

• ukjaybrat
      10:56 am December 9, 2015 Permalink

His defense is/was suspect. but we were having trouble offensively in the final minutes. maybe he would have provided a spark. Personally, I don’t have an opinion. what happened happened and what-ifs aren’t going to change that.

• RealCatsFan
      11:00 am December 9, 2015 Permalink

Willie disappearing in that game was my biggest disappointment. Aside from the lob dunk to open the game, I don’t recall him having much of an impact. Collectively, it seemed like the Cats’ defense slid as the year went on. Early in the season they absolutely smothered teams. Part of that can be attributed to losing Alex. When he went down we lost a shot blocker and a solid defender.

• J-Dub421
      11:05 am December 9, 2015 Permalink

Booker did not attempt a single three in that game. Not one. And, at the end of the first half Wisconsin was literally looking for him when they had the ball because they scored on him at will pretty much every time down the floor.

• J-Dub421
      11:08 am December 9, 2015 Permalink

I really think the guys just got tight. They played well the first few games of the tournament, but after the beatdown of WVU, looked somewhat tight against ND, but squeaked that one out. I think chasing history and an undefeated season combined with the constant media hype and scrutiny got to them in the end.

13. Long Dong Silver
    10:55 am December 9, 2015 Permalink

Kentucky Joe with a good call

14. LansingCat
    11:28 am December 9, 2015 Permalink

Not sure if I hear Matt’s nose whistle or if it’s my friend’s cat snoring on the chair next to me.

15. Great American
    11:38 am December 9, 2015 Permalink

lost the feed on 1080… wlap is playing the first hour. what the heck is going on

16. RealCatsFan
    11:39 am December 9, 2015 Permalink

Is Jurich screwing with the 1080 feed again? Just lost it and had to switch to 630.

17. RealCatsFan
    11:41 am December 9, 2015 Permalink

Now I’m hearing heavy breathing on 630. Did this switch over to the UofL Ho-Down call-in show?

• J-Dub421
      11:42 am December 9, 2015 Permalink

I think they were having some technical difficulties. Very KSR. ๐Ÿ™‚

18. RealCatsFan
    11:42 am December 9, 2015 Permalink

One of the more bizarre moments in KSR history. JURICH!!!!

19. J-Dub421
    11:57 am December 9, 2015 Permalink

U of L clearly needs to be audited considering they’ve had 4 employees busted for either misappropriating funds or embezzling in the last 2 months.

• ukjaybrat
      12:02 pm December 9, 2015 Permalink

they should be… but they won’t be… the new governor doesn’t seem to be interested

20. [email protected]
    2:56 pm December 9, 2015 Permalink

There isn’t a download link on either of today’s pages of the iHeart download site and I don’t see it on iTunes yet. Can someone fix one or the other of these?