Four members of Matthew Mitchell’s basketball team — Makayla Epps, Evelyn Akhator, Janee Thompson and Maci Morris — have received individual honors by the coaches of the SEC.
Epps’ honor is the most distinguished. The Junior guard is only the third Wildcat under Matthew Mitchell to receive multiple All-SEC First Team honors, joining Victoria Dunlap and A’dia Mathies. Thompson and Akhator made the All-SEC Second Team, their first postseason honors from the conference. Sharpshooting Pineville native Maci Morris finished her first season as a Wildcat by making the All-SEC Freshman Team.
Highlights from the four Wildcats’ 2016 season:
- Epps became the 31st member of the 1,000 point club.
- Akhator posted 10 double-doubles, averaging 11.6 points and 9.4 rebounds per game.
- Epps recorded the program’s second triple-double against Morehead State, posting 21 points, 12 assists and 11 rebounds.
- Thompson has two double-doubles with assists, the first to do that since 1988.
- Morris only needs 12 more 3-pointers to tie the program record for most 3-pointers by a true freshman.
- Thompson posted her career-high on Senior Night, scoring 24 points, 12 in the 4th quarter to propel the Cats to a come-from-behind victory.
- Morris started every game this season, hitting a three in 21 of 27 games.
Postseason play for the women’s basketball team begins Thursday at the SEC Tournament in Jacksonville. They’ll play the winner of Alabama/LSU at 2:30, advancing to play Florida on Friday with a win.