Podcast: No, KSR will not stick to sports today

The KSR radio show went in a different direction Tuesday morning as protests continue throughout the country. The city of Louisville has seen some of the worst in the broken relations between people of color and the officers who have sworn to protect them, and last weekend brought yet another tragedy with the shooting of David McAtee and the unanswered questions surrounding his death.

With high tensions around the Bluegrass and beyond, Matt Jones returned to the show from his two-week furlough to host a special episode with prominent members of the black community, from different professions or sides of the aisle. We heard from Vince Marrow, UK’s associate head football coach; Charles Booker, a Kentucky state rep and candidate for the U.S. Senate; Daniel Cameron, Kentucky’s Attorney General; and Dr. Ricky Jones, an associate professor at the University of Louisville and one of the stronger voices for the African-American community in Louisville.

The conversations were very productive and very important given the state of the world. For the sTiCk To SpOrTs crowd, maybe sit this one out. But for anyone interested in hearing from these men on how they’ve been affected and what they see needs to change, tune in to the podcast below.

Article written by Drew Franklin

32 Comments for Podcast: No, KSR will not stick to sports today

1. somerset bill
    3:31 pm June 2, 2020 Permalink

Let’s see a picture of the four hosts…

2. classof68
    3:47 pm June 2, 2020 Permalink

There may be nothing that can be done. We may be in the “fourth turning,” where a society comes unraveled just due to it’s age and population growth. There is definitely a subversive movement to change from capitalism to socialism/communism. Unfortunately it has come down to Democrats want socialism and Republicans want to remain capitalistic. It disappoints me that everyone on the KSR radio show with the exception of maybe Shannon seem to be oblivious to this fact. Or maybe that’s what they want?

• Drew Franklin
      4:02 pm June 2, 2020 Permalink

Do you know me? Have we even met? You’re telling me things about myself i didn’t even know.

• Batsell
      9:53 pm June 3, 2020 Permalink

Drew, I really do like you, but that’s probably the dumbest thing I’ve ever seen you post. Do you know President Trump? Have you ever meet him? Doesn’t and hasn’t kept you from criticizing him every chance you get. As many others have already stated, all one has to do is listen to the show on a regular basis to understand where you stand politically. Now I’m not saying anything is wrong with whatever side your on. And I’ll defend you till hell freezes over, but for goodness sake have the balls to say it! As other’s have stated, IT’S OBVIOUS what your political inclinations are.

• bigblue98
      4:02 pm June 2, 2020 Permalink

There is a quest to change brought on by past events, and to a great extent, the last three and a half years. People want a capitalistic country that provides opportunities for all, not just the wealthy. There should be chances for all who want to achieve, from the poor person in Eastern Kentucky to the person deprived of opportunity in the west end of Louisville. No one is condemning the riots and looting that are taking place. It says something that there are people of diverse backgrounds that are protesting. People want to be heard and have a seat at the table. Leadership at the top level is trying to spread fear by threatening full use of military, all in hope of gaining another four years in office. The first step to a better city, state, and country is the ability for people of diverse backgrounds to sit down and openly discuss ways for improvement. The country does not get better when fear is spread from top down.

• bigblue98
      4:08 pm June 2, 2020 Permalink

Sorry meant condoning instead of condemning.

• Alex90
      12:14 am June 3, 2020 Permalink

Great how Drew has become mini Matt

• satcheluk
      10:55 pm June 3, 2020 Permalink

You are a retard.

3. Cattington
    3:54 pm June 2, 2020 Permalink

That might be the worst analysis I’ve ever read.

• TPACAT
      4:02 pm June 2, 2020 Permalink

I think you meant “best”. What classof68 said is blatantly obvious to anyone who listens to the show on a regular basis…

• 4everUKBlue
      7:52 pm June 2, 2020 Permalink

One reason I stopped listening to the show, I hate politics with a passion, that and Matt is so hard to listen to for me. I just don’t understand all the political talk on a sports talk site.

4. Cattington
    4:07 pm June 2, 2020 Permalink

Haha…hmmm…I listen every day. I didn’t realize you were so persecuted and victimized. I also didn’t realize the Gubmint made you listen.

By the way…what have Rand Paul and Mitch McConnell said recently? Or are the mean old socialists persecuting them too?

• TPACAT
      7:22 pm June 2, 2020 Permalink

If you listen every day, it should be obvious to you that everyone on the show with the possible exception of Shannon is a lefty. Not 100% sure about Ryan but we’ll never know because he’ll always agree with Matt thanks to the $$$.

• Batsell
      10:35 pm June 2, 2020 Permalink

Ha Ha, TPACAT you’re right about that! Tune in Wednesday when you’ll here Matt say, “Ryan would agree with that?” And then you hear Ryan respond, “absolutely 100%?”
      And the next day, and the next day. Lol!

5. bigblue98
    4:07 pm June 2, 2020 Permalink

Sorry – meant condoning, not condemning.

6. jack8291
    4:25 pm June 2, 2020 Permalink

I was purely capitalism till I took my first trip down the Mountain Parkway . Someone needs to do something to change it , but the left wing did that out there ( eastern ky ) . The solution is tough . Welfare buys meth as well as food . It goes deeper than politics in some areas

• Cattington
      4:43 pm June 2, 2020 Permalink

If the left did that to eastern ky, then what has the right done?

• jack8291
      4:45 pm June 2, 2020 Permalink

They weren’t given a chance for a long time . Generational welfare and government dependence out there for sure

• terwilliger
      9:11 pm June 2, 2020 Permalink

Capitalist policies sold out and ruined Appalachia initially, but socialist policies cemented its doom and are currently keeping it from recovering.

7. terwilliger
    4:34 pm June 2, 2020 Permalink

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. Weak men create hard times. Rinse. Repeat.

8. Mc12
    5:01 pm June 2, 2020 Permalink

I think for additional perspective it could have been useful to have a policeman discuss the difficulty in policing certain neighborhoods.
    It could be good to have a push for more good black police officers to police certain areas

• TPACAT
      7:28 pm June 2, 2020 Permalink

The day we have “relative policing” is the day the whole justice system has been destroyed. Justice is supposed to be blind. Besides, even when police forces recruit more black officers, they’re then turned on as “Uncle Toms”. See, these people are anti-cop. Not just anti-white cop. Anti-cop altogether…

9. sbailey75
    12:53 am June 3, 2020 Permalink

Matt has always put this state first and always try’s to help. He talks about what is relevant at the time in the state. Agree or Disagree is his one heck of a host. I personally agree with his politics

• friendsofcoal
      1:22 am June 3, 2020 Permalink

Then you agree with destroying the strongest country in the world!

• 4everUKBlue
      7:20 am June 3, 2020 Permalink

I personally don’t agree with Matt’s politics or anyone else’s politics, in fact I don’t agree with politics at all. The only thing politics does is divide us and keep us fighting amongst ourselves, as intended. I also disagree that Matt is a good or even decent host and that’s why I don’t listen to the show unless there is a guest host.

• michaelb
      7:22 am June 3, 2020 Permalink

What do you mean by ‘put the state first’?

• michaelb
      7:28 am June 3, 2020 Permalink

Excuse me , I meant , what do you mean by ‘ he always puts the state first ‘ ?

10. UKFanSC
    8:09 am June 3, 2020 Permalink

It has become fashionable to be a table-pounding reformist when flashpoints such as this one erupt. Those who were perfectly content watching the status quo are now diverse/inclusive/woke…… every CEO in America has a soundbite prepared for the occasion. A month from now it will be business as usual. None of this will be solved by our generation; but I have optimism that today’s 20 somethings will figure it out. Race relations are significantly more developed and sincere the younger the age group…..at least as it appears to me.

11. Crushgroove
    8:43 am June 3, 2020 Permalink

Do Chicago next!

Lol.

12. ThankfulCat
    10:29 am June 3, 2020 Permalink

Nothing from the outraged left about the African American retired police officer that was murdered in the street in STL. Not one word. 77 years old. Tragedy

13. Crushgroove
    10:34 am June 3, 2020 Permalink

Drew has become a caricature of himself.

Oh, muh racisms!

What a cuck.

14. mcp157
    6:42 pm June 3, 2020 Permalink

Face it both political parties are run by corporations and whoever is in charge, Democrats or GOP, our deficit will grow and we will focus more on fighting over in the Middle East than on infrastructure, making SSI solvent and taking care of the American tax payer. None of those clowns, the politicians, have to worry about SSI being solvent because they voted themselves lifetime pensions. You want to get rid of career politicians, then get rid of the pensions and make it illegal to have any associations with lobbying groups! Then you can leave the Constitution intact and forget about term limits. People will go to serve a purpose, not build a financial portfolio,