Torrance Davis committed to Kentucky on June 7th. He’s been a Wildcat ever since. Much like John Young, Davis has loyally and eagerly awaited an official roster spot for Vince Marrow and Mark Stoops.
The 3-star is a powerfully built and fluid athlete that played both running back and receiver at Garfield Heights High School. His skills and attributes as varied as they are elite. This is a special player that can impact an offense in a variety of ways. Kentucky beat out Michigan State, Pitt, Cincinnati, Tennessee, and others.
Davis is listed at 6’2, 220-pounds. That size of a running back is rare. He obviously compares to AJ Rose. He will be a powerful addition to Eddie Gran’s arsenal.
- Excellent size and athletic ability. Can be a one-cut runner.
- Played running back, and receiver. Also played defense. Appears to be highly competitive and loves the game of football. Can’t say enough about that trait.
- Caught the football with his hands as a receiver. Excels as RB coming out of the backfield in the passing game. Understands offense.
- Showed the speed to take the top off opposing defenses as a runner and pass catcher.
- Fluid in open-field runs and yards after catch. Nose for the end zone.
- Runs through arm tackles. Powerful runner with homerun speed.
- Patient running back. Reads blocks prior to making initial break. Superb vision.
The running back room is filled with returning production. A redshirt season would benefit Davis and the Cats in the long term. But, this athlete can do so much from so many different positions on the football field that freshman playing time could be tempting.
What Does All This Mean?
By now you’ve read or heard me say plenty of times that there are two different type of players on National Signing Day: Those that “Love the Game” and others that appear to “Love Being Recruited.” Davis seems to love the game of football and it shows. I really like this prospect. Diversity, toughness, and unselfishness are strengths.
Kentucky Football 2020 Recruiting Class Player Previews: Rickey Hyatt Jr., John Young, Beau Allen, D’Eryk Jackson, Deondre Buford, Andru Phillips, Kalil Branham, Tre’vonn Rybka, JuTahn McClain, Izayah Cummings, Earnest Sanders, Justin Rogers