Phew. Yawn. (Wednesday Show Thread)

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Wednesday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio, which is coming to you after one late, exciting night for the Big Blue Nation. Kentucky’s overtime win over Vanderbilt had us up to the wee hours, but a win is a win, so refill that coffee cup and tune in to hear the gang break it down.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

82 Comments for Phew. Yawn. (Wednesday Show Thread)

1. runningunnin.454
    9:59 am January 31, 2018 Permalink

Whew, I’ll take a couple of easy wins now; thanks Cats…in advance.

2. RealCatsFan
    10:02 am January 31, 2018 Permalink

Wow, what a night. My head hit the pillow at 1:36 AM last night, but I was still so jacked up that it was probably 2 AM before I fell asleep. If you don’t see a post from me for a while, it probably means I fell asleep at my keyboardddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Realme
      10:06 am January 31, 2018 Permalink

Tell me you stayed til the end. If we have to be sleep deprived, at least it was for a win.

• runningunnin.454
      10:08 am January 31, 2018 Permalink

I said last night that the Cats needed some 5-Hour Energy….turns out they were a sponsor of the game, Ha.

10:14 am January 31, 2018 Permalink

Hmpf, wha? Oh, sorry, dozed off. 🙂

Hell no we didn’t leave? We were telling people that were heading up the aisles that the fat lady ain’t sung yet. (actually, that was the line used by the dude behind us. He had a serious hillbilly accent – sounded just like “Mater” from Cars. He kept saying, “Cayuts need to get farred up” and stuff like that. At first it was a little annoying, and then I kept picturing Mater in back of me and I was cracking up.)

10:20 am January 31, 2018 Permalink

My neighbor ended up going with me last night, so my daughter was spared a day of falling asleep at school. Still, would have been neat for her to see the atmosphere at that game.

I am going to have to stop taking my neighbor with me. Last time he came, we went to OT against UGA. At least we won both of them, but it’s making an old man out of me.

3. Realme
    10:03 am January 31, 2018 Permalink

Me last night:

Great start.
    Well, we’ll be fine.
    Has Bryce Drew’s hair always been that dark?
    This is fine.
    Why does LaChance think that thing on his face is a good idea?
    We’re not gonna lose are we?
    Welp.
    HOLY COW! Yes! Overtime!
    What does it mean that I can’t feel my legs right now?
    Phew. I love these guys. They are the best.

4. secrick
    10:04 am January 31, 2018 Permalink

It aunt easy in the SEC.

10:17 am January 31, 2018 Permalink

I used to have an Aunt Weezy, but not an Aunt Easy. Does she root for UofL?

• 4everUKblue
      6:29 pm January 31, 2018 Permalink

I actually LOL’ed at that one. Thanks RCF

5. Realme
    10:11 am January 31, 2018 Permalink

Do you think Matt and Drew still think Wenyen is our best 3 point shooter?

• secrick
      10:14 am January 31, 2018 Permalink

Can’t hit a thing right now but it will come back ,hopefully this weekend.

• Realme
      10:45 am January 31, 2018 Permalink

I looked it up. Shai actually has the best percentage, but he doesn’t take as many. Then Quade. Then Wenyen/Kevin. Then Hami.

• J-Dub421
      11:19 am January 31, 2018 Permalink

I feel like Quade has been the most consistent (except for the 2 games back after his back injury.) Knox started out not hitting but has come on strong the last few games.

6. runningunnin.454
    10:15 am January 31, 2018 Permalink

I see UNCheat has lost three in a row, and will probably be No. 1 next week.
    And, last night they had their good luck charm….Lil Johnnie Higgins. Do they take him on the road, now.

• secrick
      10:18 am January 31, 2018 Permalink

Yep watched some of that game Clemson played hard. Was hoping TRAE YOUNG UNIVERSITY would get beat .

• Realme
      10:19 am January 31, 2018 Permalink

I don’t know how people stand listening to announcers drool and sigh over Young. I get that he’s good, but seriously, act like you’ve seen a good player before.

• runningunnin.454
      10:21 am January 31, 2018 Permalink

ESPN is really eat up with Young. “The Great Trae Young”. Yeah, he’s good; but, Great? C’mon, he’s a freshman.

• ClutchCargo
      10:29 am January 31, 2018 Permalink

What would those ESPN guys have done back when Chris Jackson was at LSU? He still stands out as one of the best college guards I have ever seen.

10:35 am January 31, 2018 Permalink

That team had Jackson, Shaq, Stanley Roberts, et.al. Can’t believe they never won a championship.

• runningunnin.454
      10:39 am January 31, 2018 Permalink

Dale Brown blew it against Indiana; he sit Shaq for extended periods of time; I actually thought he was on the take.

• ClutchCargo
      11:31 am January 31, 2018 Permalink

Bobby Knight has a great line after that game, something like: “I thought we were going to lose, but I looked down the floor and saw Dale Brown and knew there was still a chance.”

• J-Dub421
      12:07 pm January 31, 2018 Permalink

Dale Brown still probably has nightmares about the Mardi Gras Miracle.

7. RealCatsFan
    10:16 am January 31, 2018 Permalink

We got lucky at so many different levels at so many different points in that game. I really thought we were toast when we were down 5 with 30 seconds left. AND WE GOT A FREE CHICKEN BISCUIT when they missed 2 FT’s in overtime!

8. Realme
    10:18 am January 31, 2018 Permalink

3 guys now have built some “I can make free throws when the game is on the line” confidence. Good stuff.

• J-Dub421
      11:21 am January 31, 2018 Permalink

Late in games, I want Knox, Shai, Quade, or Richards on the line.

9. RealCatsFan
    10:21 am January 31, 2018 Permalink

I used to have a mustache like Riley LaChance – when I was thirteen.

10. RealCatsFan
    10:27 am January 31, 2018 Permalink

Couldn’t believe that Cal didn’t have our team go straight at LaChance and Roberson when they both had 4 fouls.

• henderblue
      12:32 pm January 31, 2018 Permalink

Good thing he didn’t. Might have been someone else at the line that would have made free throws.

11. RealCatsFan
    10:29 am January 31, 2018 Permalink

I didn’t feel like the crowd was that bad last night, considering that the Cats were basically mailing it in, going through the motions, and being totally disinterested in playing any kind of defense. When we started to make a run, most of the lower arena was on their feet cheering. At the end of that game, it was as loud as I have ever heard it. Maybe the end zones in the lower arena are rowdier than the sections along the sides.

10:33 am January 31, 2018 Permalink

I think the common denominator between loud arenas and dead ones have a lot to do with who is sitting down close to the action, and also the acoustics of the place. Cameron has the students right down there on the sides, and the place is so small and the acoustics so bad that the sound is amplified. Yes, we have the eRupption Zone, but that puts them down at one end of the court. When the action is at the other end, the effect is lost. And yes, Rupp and UNC have a lot in common with all the big money, older folks down next to the court. I still like the student “mosh pit” idea, all the way around the court.

• runningunnin.454
      10:36 am January 31, 2018 Permalink

Well, they were pretty sedate most of the game. It was like that when I was at UK 40 years ago.
      I can’t believe they still go to the games…they have to be at least 118 years old.

• Realme
      10:37 am January 31, 2018 Permalink

I think the non-students in the upper arena are much better than the average lower arena sideline fan. If we could shuffle the rich people into some boxes, and bring average Joe’s down, we’d be an amazing crowd.

10:46 am January 31, 2018 Permalink

I’ll have to go back and watch the replay. I can say that we were rowdy, and so was ‘Mater sitting behind us! 😀

• J-Dub421
      11:23 am January 31, 2018 Permalink

Agree with RealMe. We need luxury boxes. Stick the blue hairs in the boxes and improve the arena environment.

12. secrick
    10:39 am January 31, 2018 Permalink

I know this name is already taken but the ICE MAN came thru last night on those free throws.

• runningunnin.454
      10:44 am January 31, 2018 Permalink

Two points down with two seconds on the clock..swish and swish. I couldn’t get the ball over the front of the rim…air ball time.
      And, PJ hit his, too. People said he couldn’t hit them at the end of the Florida game.

• ClutchCargo
      11:41 am January 31, 2018 Permalink

I honestly felt sick that SGA had to be in that situation, but he stepped up and proved me wrong. I am forever scarred by seeing a freshman Darius Washington of Memphis (when Cal was there) with a chance to win the game with 3 ft’s and no time on the clock. Made the first and bricked the next two to lose the C-USA title game vs University 6..

13. RealCatsFan
    10:43 am January 31, 2018 Permalink

I think one of the reasons we looked so much better against WVU was that their style of play suited us better. The press actually worked in our favor, because when we were able to break it, they didn’t have their defense set and we were able to score in one-on-one situations.

• ClutchCargo
      11:35 am January 31, 2018 Permalink

WVU is also really bad offensively. If they could shoot like Vandy, that one could have gotten really ugly.

11:54 am January 31, 2018 Permalink

They were hitting everything they threw up in the first half, but moved back to their mean in the second half.

14. RealCatsFan
    10:44 am January 31, 2018 Permalink

RE: Mr Rogers movie. Wasn’t there an urban legend going around a few years ago that Mr Rogers was in real life an ex Navy Seal and a total badass?

10:49 am January 31, 2018 Permalink

Anyone remember when Eddie Murphy used to do a spoof of Mr. Rogers on SNL? “Mr Robinson’s Neighborhood”. “Somebody stole yo batt-ry”.

10:53 am January 31, 2018 Permalink

All Tom Hanks will need to do for the movie is reprise his role as Forrest Gump.

• runningunnin.454
      11:06 am January 31, 2018 Permalink

Yeah that story about Mr Rogers has been debunked. There was also a story about Chuck Barris of the Gong Show being a CIA assassin. Nooooo

• Realme
      11:08 am January 31, 2018 Permalink

I just hope the KSR Curse doesn’t destroy his reputation now.

11:40 am January 31, 2018 Permalink

Well, he’s already passed on, so we don’t have to worry about that. 🙂

15. Laker Cat 18
    10:52 am January 31, 2018 Permalink

Someone help me out here. How has Vanderbilt not logged more minutes than he has so far? He has outplayed SKJ by playing less and in my personal opinion would outplay Wenyen given more time. I don’t buy the “he’s not ready or in the groove with the team yet” excuses either. He’s in his 3rd week and has played in 5 games now. It’s time to up his minutes.

• Realme
      10:55 am January 31, 2018 Permalink

Maybe Cal is waiting for him to calm down enough to be able to put the ball in the hoop?

• Laker Cat 18
      10:55 am January 31, 2018 Permalink

I’m in no way knocking SKJ, he’s improved tremendously from last year. Wenyen is a hustler, but he disappoints me in crunch situations by his decision making…(and Lord knows that we are not finished seeing “crunch time” at the end of games). I simply believe we would get more production out of Vanderbilt at this point in the season. February is now here, it’s time to prepare for March.

• Realme
      10:55 am January 31, 2018 Permalink

Or he’s not in game shape yet.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:57 am January 31, 2018 Permalink

Realme – You know I considered that theory. But it led me to this thought…SKJ and Wenyen aren’t scorers. They’re hustlers and rebounders/shot blockers. Vanderbilt brings both of those to the table at a more productive rate than either individual if you compare minutes.

• runningunnin.454
      11:00 am January 31, 2018 Permalink

Vando should use the glass under the goal if he can’t get the dunk. He’s going for the rim, and rushing the shots…the offense will come. All the players should use the glass and soften the shot.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:00 am January 31, 2018 Permalink

I don’t buy game shape yet either. When He’s playing 11 minutes per game in March, I’ll bring this back up. I don’t want to think this, but my mindset toward his situation right now is Cal rewarding the guys who have been working the whole time by playing them more. At some point, you need to get that continuity going with the 6-8 guys you’re going to be rolling with in the tournament settings.

• Realme
      11:02 am January 31, 2018 Permalink

Yeah, it’s probably that simple. Cal isn’t going to give him Sacha or Wenyen’s minutes because they hustle. So he has to take PJ’s and Nick’s when they’re not going 100%.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:06 am January 31, 2018 Permalink

Agree with that. I’d bet my entire paycheck Vanderbilt is in better game shape than Richards right now.

16. RealCatsFan
    10:56 am January 31, 2018 Permalink

I agree with the low basketball IQ on this team. Hami is a prime example. I blame the AAU circuit for most of this.

• runningunnin.454
      11:02 am January 31, 2018 Permalink

I agree, and did you see two of our guys retreat into the paint, and actually “run” from LaChance at the 3 point line…I thought are they afraid he would bite them?

• Laker Cat 18
      11:04 am January 31, 2018 Permalink

Agreed. AAU and specifically the lack of coaching defense is killing the sport. Honestly, my favorite to win the title today may be Virginia. They’ve played 21 games and have held their opponents to under 50 points in ten of them.

• J-Dub421
      11:26 am January 31, 2018 Permalink

Hami is getting better though. He definitely works hard.

11:28 am January 31, 2018 Permalink

I think Hami wants to learn and he wants to get better, but they have to develop that skill. Sometimes I think we could have a bunch of 3 and 4 star kids on the roster as defensive stoppers.

• J-Dub421
      11:32 am January 31, 2018 Permalink

Knox is the one I yell at the most on defense.

17. DrSayre
    11:17 am January 31, 2018 Permalink

I think it would be awesome if UK played a game in Memorial Coliseum. Im sure there’s reasons why they cant, the first obvious issue is UK wouldn’t get as much revenue from ticket sales. But it would get that awesome environment that Rupp doesnt have. Like that Monmouth game would have made more sense if it was at Memorial Coliseum instead of NYC.

11:27 am January 31, 2018 Permalink

Make it general admission, with the best seat sections sold as an auction. Highest bids win.

• DrSayre
      11:33 am January 31, 2018 Permalink

Yeah, Im not sure if that would be legal or not, but something like that I think would go over well. Just make sure the student tickets are regular price with a lottery like normal.

11:38 am January 31, 2018 Permalink

It would be cool to put the players in throwback jerseys as well.

• ClutchCargo
      11:47 am January 31, 2018 Permalink

No on the nut huggers. 🙂

• DrSayre
      11:52 am January 31, 2018 Permalink

Retro jerseys, modern shorts! I think it would be an easy way to get some excitement in November/December that we had a lot of problems with this season.

11:53 am January 31, 2018 Permalink

I think Briscoe would have approved of the nut huggers. Seemed to be his preference.

• J-Dub421
      12:03 pm January 31, 2018 Permalink

Aaron Harrison can’t wear the nut huggers.

12:12 pm January 31, 2018 Permalink

Either can Knox. 😀

18. runningunnin.454
    11:17 am January 31, 2018 Permalink

UK’s three best FT shooters; Macy, Ford, and LaChance….now that’s good.

19. RealCatsFan
    11:26 am January 31, 2018 Permalink

I picture the people calling in on “Coast to Coast Radio” as looking like that eccentric old man down the street who wears a tinfoil hat.

20. RealCatsFan
    11:33 am January 31, 2018 Permalink

Look for Matt to come down with the stomach flu in the next few days. Reminds me of the scene in “The Great Santini” where Robert DuVall puts a guy up to hiding a can of cream of mushroom soup under his jacket at a fancy dinner / dance and “barfing” all over the stage. Then two other guys in on the joke run up there with spoons and start lapping it up. Eeewww.

21. RealCatsFan
    11:39 am January 31, 2018 Permalink

We hung around for the interview with Shai after the game, and when he got up to walk back to the locker room, he was walking like he was 90 years old. I guess he was cramping up from sitting there, but the dude didn’t look like he would be able to play any ball after that.

22. RealCatsFan
    11:41 am January 31, 2018 Permalink

John Short predicts that the the groundhog will beat his shadow by 20 bigun’s.

23. Realme
    11:41 am January 31, 2018 Permalink

My husband has this weird aunt. My parents (not me) lived in PA for a few years. So every time this aunt sees me, she asks if I know people she’s heard of in Pennsylvania. She and John Short have a similar fixation.

24. Realme
    11:51 am January 31, 2018 Permalink

So it’s more fun upstairs, but more comfortable downstairs. Sounds like the solution is to move the seats to the upper level, and the benches to the lower arena.

25. RealCatsFan
    11:52 am January 31, 2018 Permalink

I guess the lower arena is different in the end zones than on the sides, because all the people around me were cheering loudly and high fiving each other when we made our comeback. I do know that the seats on the sides have a lot less legroom than the ones in the end zone.

26. RealCatsFan
    11:58 am January 31, 2018 Permalink

I guess I’m an old softy, because I feel a little sorry for LaChance. I could picture my own kid being in that situation and failing. I guess if you have kids of your own you think differently.

• ClutchCargo
      12:23 pm January 31, 2018 Permalink

I definitely felt bad for him in the first game. Not yesterday though!