Patrick Towles calls in and the boys head home (Friday Show Thread)

towles-11

Good morning and welcome to the Friday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio, which is coming to you somewhere on the side of the road out West. The guys are headed back from Los Angeles after a disappointing loss to UCLA, but at 10:30, former Kentucky quarterback Patrick Towles will call in to discuss his career at Kentucky and what’s next. Tune in to hear what Patrick has to say and to see how the guys are doing on the backstretch of the KSR Does America tour.

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

WLSI (900am) Pikeville
WPRT (960am): Prestonsburg
WSFC (1240am): Somerset
WTCW (920am): Whitesburg
WHAY (98.3fm): Whitley City
WBTH (1400am): Williamson
PRTC TV Channels 209 & 409: Jackson & Owlsey Counties (Replayed at 1 and 6)

On Delay (ALL TIMES LISTED EASTERN)…

WVHI (1330am): Evansville, IN, 5-7pm
WMTL (870am): Leitchfield, 11am-1pm
WLBQ (1570am): Morgantown, 3-5pm
WRIL (106.3fm): Middlesboro, Thur 8-10pm
WWTF (1580am): Lexington, 4-6pm

57 Comments for Patrick Towles calls in and the boys head home (Friday Show Thread)

1. UK_JB
    9:48 am December 4, 2015 Permalink

Well, that sucked, but at least it wasn’t to UL.

Can we hear some STP music today?

• RealCatsFan
      10:08 am December 4, 2015 Permalink

I second that request! Double bummer to lose Scott Weiland. 🙁

2. taylorsvillecat
    10:06 am December 4, 2015 Permalink

Do we know anything more about Marcus Lee’s injury?

• RealCatsFan
      10:09 am December 4, 2015 Permalink

Leach report mentioned a bloody nose, so I’m wondering if it was a broken nose or facial injury. Will Marcus be sporting a “Phantom of the Opera” mask the next time on the court?

3. RealCatsFan
    10:10 am December 4, 2015 Permalink

So, when UCLA comes into Rupp Arena next year and we blow them out, will our fans rush the floor? 😉

• RexRox
      6:05 pm December 4, 2015 Permalink

negative

4. Realme
    10:13 am December 4, 2015 Permalink

I see no reason not to be optimistic that getting embarrassed last night will motivate these guys to get where they need to be. Now I feel compelled to point out this is the exact opposite of how I feel after a football loss.

5. RealCatsFan
    10:14 am December 4, 2015 Permalink

Oddly enough, looking at the box score, you would think it was a pretty close game. However, you can’t shoot 37% and play poor defense (allowing the opponent to shoot over 50%) and expect to win many games. That HAS to improve.

6. Kyle
    10:16 am December 4, 2015 Permalink

Glad they called Welsh “dainty” on the pre-game show. Only ended up with 21 and 11.

• Sentient Third Eye
      10:34 am December 4, 2015 Permalink

As Bilas diplomatically put it last night, Welsh did not the physique of someone who should be dominating Skal so badly. So that was all on Skal.

• RexRox
      6:09 pm December 4, 2015 Permalink

Yeah, last year he had 2 points and 1 rebound. God, I miss KAT and WCS!

7. RealCatsFan
    10:20 am December 4, 2015 Permalink

Looking back, I’m not quite as pizzed as I was last night. However, it would have been bad for this team to have squeaked out the win. No lesson would have been learned. While I hope this loss was humiliating to them and will motivate them to work much harder, I also worry a little that it might affect the confidence of our freshmen, especially Skal.

8. CATandMONKEY
    10:20 am December 4, 2015 Permalink

Last night did suck pretty bad. Loss of Lee, especially so early, hurt us. Willis did a nice job. Pretty disappointed with the rebounding effort. Skal is in need of upper body strength and improved rebounding effort.
    We just looked weak last night. I expect we will bounce back. No major worries but not the way I planned on starting Friday.

• J-Dub421
      10:29 am December 4, 2015 Permalink

I knew we needed Marcus Lee, but I didn’t know we NEEDED Marcus Lee.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:42 am December 4, 2015 Permalink

In total agreement. His rebounding, blocking and general presence around the basket would have been a key difference last night. He has been a spark many times before. Just hope he is ok.

• RealCatsFan
      10:51 am December 4, 2015 Permalink

Skal need lower body strength too. Needs lower center of gravity to help hold his position on the blocks. Needs that big butt like Dakari had, but not likely to ever get it.

• J-Dub421
      10:53 am December 4, 2015 Permalink

He probably won’t fill out until he’s 23-24.

9. RealCatsFan
    10:23 am December 4, 2015 Permalink

Damn, that song makes me sad! RIP, Scott!! 🙁

10. J-Dub421
    10:28 am December 4, 2015 Permalink

Skal needs to be more aggressive offensively, but as a life-long skinny kid myself, I feel bad for him there. If you’re a tall skinny kid like that gaining weight is hard.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:30 am December 4, 2015 Permalink

I am wiling to donate 25 lbs to the cause. My wardrobe and wife will be equally pleased.

• Realme
      10:31 am December 4, 2015 Permalink

He’s also just really behind. He didn’t have a real team to play on last year. That said, I would second Tyler’s shove and tell him to toughen up.

• J-Dub421
      10:33 am December 4, 2015 Permalink

When I graduated high school I only weighed 108 lbs, and I’m 5’9″.

• J-Dub421
      10:34 am December 4, 2015 Permalink

Skal does need to be tougher, but there were times he was trying to guard Parker last night, and it was just not going to happen when he’s giving up 50 lbs.

• Realme
      10:55 am December 4, 2015 Permalink

I’m not expecting him to bang with big guys, but I do want to see hustle. Fix his rebounding and I think everything else will come with it.

• J-Dub421
      11:08 am December 4, 2015 Permalink

Agreed, but I think he’ll figure it out. I’m not ready to hit the panic button yet.

11. jsh2001
    10:31 am December 4, 2015 Permalink

After seeing pics of Shannon on Snapchat all week from the trip and then again below, I have to say that must be what Colin Cowherd looked like 20 years ago.

12. Sentient Third Eye
    10:32 am December 4, 2015 Permalink

The game last night reminded me of when Kentucky beat that great LSU team at Rupp back in the day. We were way short on talent, but we beat an amazingly talented opponent through hard work and desire. UCLA may not have much talent, and they will probably struggle to finish above .500, but they played with desire last night, and that can trump talent when talent is playing lackadaisical.

13. Red headed Stepchild
    10:43 am December 4, 2015 Permalink

Patrick is a DOUCHE BAG. he’s a liar. You can tell by the way he paused before answering the transfer after the Louisville Game.

He is an entitled b!tch. Doesn’t want to compete for the job. Explains why he did not perform on the field. He thinks he is entitled to good career. Screw that punk. Metrosexual pansy. Why show him any love?

• CATandMONKEY
      10:46 am December 4, 2015 Permalink

Patrick would whoop your a $$ into next year. What a complete piece of trash you are. You have made these comments before. Total classless idiot.

• J-Dub421
      10:48 am December 4, 2015 Permalink

He’s trying to be diplomatic and not throw anyone under the bus. Aim your vitriol at the correct parties, Boom, Baker, and Badet.

• cats paw
      11:09 am December 4, 2015 Permalink

Yes. Aim it at anyone but the guy that’s responsible- STOOPS!

• RealCatsFan
      11:12 am December 4, 2015 Permalink

The internet – making tough guys out of 98 lb weaklings since 1995.

• J-Dub421
      11:18 am December 4, 2015 Permalink

CP, Boom lacks work ethic and is a prima donna. Baker and Badet deliberately don’t catch passes. That’s on them.

• Red headed Stepchild
      11:30 am December 4, 2015 Permalink

TO the real J-Dub421:
      Agree with the diplomatic comment. Just saying that Patrick is a quitter. He told Ryan that during the Cat Walk he “wanted to LOOK the part”. I personally know quite a few college athletics, including my own offspring. Every player has to compete against their teammates as well as the opposition. To me he has quit on his teammates. Easier to transfer than to compete. That mentality disturbs me.

TO CatandMonkey:
      Usually I like your comments. However, Patrick is a puss and I will assure you he could not whoop my a$$. Did you not see what a sissy he was on the field? He does probably have about an inch reach on me though. I’m not an internet bully! I never threatened to kick anyone’s butt. Just try to point out the obvious. Again,I know college athletes and I know the level of commitment it takes to compete at the highest college level. Patrick has chosen not to compete at UK.

• J-Dub421
      11:41 am December 4, 2015 Permalink

I think the staff told Towles that they were going with Barker next year, but he’s too nice to tell people that. I don’t know that for sure, but that was the impression I got.

On the football podcast J-Lo said he overheard Badet say he deliberately didn’t catch a pass, and more or less the same with Baker. If this is true, then I don’t blame Towles for transferring. As a QB, why would you stay when your receivers are sabotaging you?

• CATandMONKEY
      12:06 pm December 4, 2015 Permalink

Ok, RHSchild, in fairness you did not threaten to whoop anybody. In fact my response was off the cuff, after staying up all night and being p! $$ed about the bball game but I still disagree with your characterizations of PT. The QB was the LEAST of our issues on the field on offense, as evidenced in the UofL game. As far as him quitting or not fighting for his position, the writing was on the wall. I don’t begrudge someone for doing what is best for their own future, especially if the team is headed in a different direction . Pat may get on a team with a decent O-line and might be able to succeed somewhere else and improve his chances of getting drafted. Why diss him for that? Maybe he sees UK football as a lost cause, or maybe just the coaching staff?
      Cool if you don’t like Bunning. Neither do I…off the mound anyways. Pat took some pretty good knocks this year, hardly a pu $$y. Sorry you have such a personal issue with PT.
      Peace out.

• KTower
      12:09 pm December 4, 2015 Permalink

RED

Your anonymous, trolling, internet tough guy comment is completely over the top. You are not a Kentucky Football Fan. Go Away

14. huehue
    10:48 am December 4, 2015 Permalink

Wish the kid nothing but the best, UNLESS he goes to Duke.
    If he goes to Duke, I’m done. Tons of school out there just like there were tons of school Pitino could have come back to… going to our most hated enemies is not acceptable.

DONT TRY AND CHANGE MY MIND IT WONT HAPPEN.
    #DUKEHATE4LYFE

15. Experience
    10:53 am December 4, 2015 Permalink

I think Cal needs to get the football helmets and pads out. It reminded me of a jr high game with all the guys under the boards standing straight up hoping the ball will bounce to them. Cal please show them tape of Jorts boxing people out.

16. Living Legend
    10:58 am December 4, 2015 Permalink

How many times can one person say, “You know”? Ha

17. RealCatsFan
    11:11 am December 4, 2015 Permalink

Shannon feeling kicked in the gut after Scott Weiland passed away reminds me of how I felt after Dale Earnhardt died at Daytona. I was down for weeks after that.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:29 am December 4, 2015 Permalink

My love for NASCAR died that day as well. I haven’t watched a race in its entirety since.

18. RealCatsFan
    11:13 am December 4, 2015 Permalink

I’m sure Tyler apologized to Skal after the game. Emotions run high during a game like that.

19. RealCatsFan
    11:14 am December 4, 2015 Permalink

Oh come on Matt, we know you would run screaming like a little girl if that happened. 😉

20. J-Dub421
    11:20 am December 4, 2015 Permalink

So Lee got hit in the face hard enough that he didn’t play the rest of the game, and there was no foul call. Sounds about right.

• RealCatsFan
      11:24 am December 4, 2015 Permalink

Yep. Wouldn’t expect anything different, especially on the road.

• taylorsvillecat
      11:26 am December 4, 2015 Permalink

Not to whine, but those refs were awful.

• J-Dub421
      11:43 am December 4, 2015 Permalink

The terrible officiating is not the reason we lost, but it sure didn’t do us any favors.

21. Big Curt
    11:26 am December 4, 2015 Permalink

I wonder how long it will be before we see a new Twitter account for Matt Jones’ toenail…… 😉

22. RealCatsFan
    11:39 am December 4, 2015 Permalink

Erkel going gangsta reminds me of Napoleon Dynamite’s brother Kip’s transformation after he met LaFawnduh.

23. RealCatsFan
    11:45 am December 4, 2015 Permalink

I think Cal might have been too tough on Ryan Harrow as well. A coach has to be a part time psychologist, trying to find the right buttons to press to get the most out of the players.

24. RealCatsFan
    11:48 am December 4, 2015 Permalink

We need to wrap the show up with an STP song for Shannon.

25. J-Dub421
    11:49 am December 4, 2015 Permalink

So Shannon love Family Matters, but hates Star Wars? SMH.

26. RealCatsFan
    11:56 am December 4, 2015 Permalink

If Willis brings that energy and attitude every time, he absolutely needs to play more. And Cal needs to refrain from pulling him the first time he gets beat on defense. Give the kid a chance.

• J-Dub421
      11:57 am December 4, 2015 Permalink

I liked the hustle from Hawkins as well.

• RealCatsFan
      12:06 pm December 4, 2015 Permalink

Agree that Hawk hustles and defends well, but his offensive game is a liability. Willis is a much better scorer. Now if we could mix Hawk’s defense and Derek’s offense, we would be talkin’!

27. jackdawson
    3:34 pm December 4, 2015 Permalink

Am I correct in assuming they were referring to Welsh as “feathers” because he looks like a bird? If so, nice.