Oklahoma State is in a lot of trouble

Sports Illustrated released the first column of a five-part series that exposes the Oklahoma State football program for doing everything the wrong way. Today’s piece, “The Money,” accuses OSU boosters of giving cash incentives for good games, backed up by interviews with former players and coaches. Multiple former Cowboys came forward and told SI some of their teammates received anywhere from $2,000 to $25,000 annually in under-the-table performance-based payouts.

Tomorrow Sports Illustrated will release “The Academics,” followed by “The Drugs,” “The Sex” and “The Fallout.”

And Mike Gundy thought he hated this article…

Article written by Drew Franklin

26 Comments for Oklahoma State is in a lot of trouble

1. WalkerKYRanger
    12:03 pm September 10, 2013 Permalink

Can you please post the link? The one in the article does not work. Thanks.

2. Danny noonan
    12:04 pm September 10, 2013 Permalink

He’s a man..he’s 40! He can handle this

3. That'sExactlyRight
    12:12 pm September 10, 2013 Permalink

Someone had to pay for North Carolina’s wrong doing…

4. kadizkat
    12:18 pm September 10, 2013 Permalink

#3 beat me to it. 🙁

5. Uk
    12:18 pm September 10, 2013 Permalink

There was a receiver who really like us but committed to OSU. Rashaad Samples maybe? Can we have him now?

6. Steve_Jobs
    12:21 pm September 10, 2013 Permalink

Nothing in the 1st part of this article seems all that damning. I think it may be a Thayer Evans hit-piece. I take it with a shaker of salt.

7. rick
    12:26 pm September 10, 2013 Permalink

They only pick on some schools and others get away with it. North Carolina for one and then there’s Hurtt at LB.

8. Blue Jesus
    12:38 pm September 10, 2013 Permalink

What kind of recruiting fallout will there be? I’d love to pick up some last minute big-time players for this… so long as they don’t bring any of that baggage with them.

9. Bobbaloo
    12:45 pm September 10, 2013 Permalink

T. Boone Pickens better funnel some of that Obama money to Sports Illustrated to shut them up.

10. Art
    12:49 pm September 10, 2013 Permalink

Actually they probably WON’T be in a lot of trouble. The majority of the statue of limitations on most of the accusations have already run out. Basically what you have here are accusations by former player that they recieved money, SHOCKER! What this boils down to is there is no paper trail and Pete Thamel again produces a take-down piece with a huge reach and a ton of holes…….SNOOZE.

11. Wait for it
    12:55 pm September 10, 2013 Permalink

Just wait until Calipari and/or Stoops are the subjects of one of these articles. I personally witnessed Timmons get something from a booster.

12. BluKudzu
    1:12 pm September 10, 2013 Permalink

There is nothing here that will create any issues for Oaklahoma State. Each of the ex players quoted in the article were either dismissed from the team, or left to their own accord. Sports Illustrated should not make reports such as these without non refutable evidence as proof. Reporting word of mouth is extremely close to hearsay, and as such would be treated as nothing more.

Why not investigate “The Carolina Way?” If not there, then why not investigate the recruiting and handling of Bridgewater? Both have existing proof that can’t be challenged nor can it be denied.

The NCAA is pointless at this juncture, and Sports Illustrated is no longer relevant, except of course, the swim suit edition.

13. pssh
    1:21 pm September 10, 2013 Permalink

12, The only $ exchange you witnessed was a 16 year old Timmons ordering a McDouble, paying with a 5 and getting change back. Shut up.

14. Seth
    1:30 pm September 10, 2013 Permalink

All I can say is that I just moved to about 45 mins. north of Stillwater and people are nervous. Most people talking about how the writer has had it out for OKState. I’m a UK fan so no bias, it’s been interesting to here.

15. OMG no way
    1:31 pm September 10, 2013 Permalink

12. Wait for it- Hurry call Thamel RIGHT NOW, call Jerry Tipton! call the Wall Street journal! call the NY times! call forde! call the northern Idaho sentinel!!!!! You witnessed Timmons receiving something? My lord what could it have been?!! We must shout this from the rooftops this instant. Hurry meet me at the crown royal factory or the line beard shop so we can scream this from the mountains together right after we smoke some funky black and milds and nail a few low class prostitutes!! ACT NOW!!!!

16. pssh
    1:50 pm September 10, 2013 Permalink

16, You are the reason this blog needs a like button.

17. RICK
    2:26 pm September 10, 2013 Permalink

#12, Still waiting on Hurtt.

18. FurdTurgason
    2:37 pm September 10, 2013 Permalink

This same thing goes on at every major football program in the country. In the west, USC and Oregon. In the southwest, all the Texas schools. In the Midwest, from Oklahoma to Ohio State. Up and down the East coast, from UNC to Miami. And, probably the worst simply because they’re on top right now, the powerhouses of the SEC. The people who should be nervous right now are LSU fans.

19. Han
    2:39 pm September 10, 2013 Permalink

Once again showing that you get caught if you talk. If you don’t talk, you skate (UNC, Duke).

20. Han
    2:40 pm September 10, 2013 Permalink

12) Have you taken this info to the right people? You have, right? We all remember when UK basketball got slammed every year under Cal based on the claims of rival fans online who saw things.

21. Bob
    3:11 pm September 10, 2013 Permalink

Thayer Evans is a colleague of Pete Thamel and a known OSU hater, need I say more there? and #19 the statute of limitations is 4 years with the NCAA, so Les Miles and LSU have nothing to worry about!!

22. Yogi
    4:27 pm September 10, 2013 Permalink

That’s why they have always been mediocre….$2K to $25K a year is not gonna get you any good players!

23. Tosis
    5:14 pm September 10, 2013 Permalink

Jason Whitlock on Thayer Evans: “But then in addition to that, having worked with Thayer Evans at Fox Sports, having followed his work for some time, I am completely and utterly flabbergasted that a legitimate news outlet would allow Thayer Evans to be involved in some type of investigative piece on college football that tears down a program, and particularly one that tears down Oklahoma State when it is no secret what a huge, enormous, gigantic Oklahoma homer Thayer Evans is. This is just incredible. Knowing the lack of competence that’s there with Thayer Evans, knowing the level of simplemindedness that’s there with Thayer Evans, to base any part of the story on his reporting is mind-boggling. … When I learned Thayer Evans was involved, I just said, there’s no way I’ll read this because there’s no reason to trust this reporter on anything of any substance. If you go back and look at his track record of reporting and the consistent controversy that surrounds his reporting — he made a name for himself at the New York Times by writing these annual stories about some top high school football recruit that he would buddy up to, follow around with a tape recorder and then report what some immature 17-year-old kid said about the recruiting process. These kids tended to come from single-parent families with the mother working and busy, so there wasn’t the normal oversight and anybody with a brain could see the exploitation that was taking place. … It doesn’t surprise me there are sources in this story saying the reporting was heavy-handed and leading. I don’t want to make the whole thing about Thayer Evans, but there’s just no way to avoid it. I’ve worked with him. He’s simpleminded. He’s a hack that can’t write. This isn’t personal, I promise. I have no reason to dislike Thayer Evans personally, and I don’t. But I’ve read enough of his work this guy isn’t qualified for this job and by now Sports Illustrated and anybody else should be well aware of this. Type his name into Google, read his previous work, read how his previous work has been debunked and there’s just no surprise. This story will be shrouded in controversy … Let me end by saying this and I honestly mean this without malice. It wouldn’t shock me if Thayer Evans couldn’t spell cat and I say in all seriousness.”— Jason Whitlock

24. WhoCares
    6:14 pm September 10, 2013 Permalink

Article seems like a bunch of bs. No proof, just stories. Ether way, every intelligent person knows that the players should be paid. The fact that the NCAA, conferences, schools, and corporate sponsors are allowed to make millions off of the hard work these young, often poor kids do is a black mark on our society. Pay the players now!

25. Weekend Reader
    6:36 pm September 10, 2013 Permalink

#12 You have repeatedly trashed Timmons on here. Now you have made an accusation, be careful of what you say because you might be held liable for slandering a fine young man. I hope you have some proof to back up your statement because I plan on informing his family about your comment. If I were you I would climb back under the rock you crawled out of.