Official gets taken out by high school players

I know they take football very seriously in Texas, but this is crazy.

A video, supposedly of a high school football game in Texas, has been making the rounds around the internet recently and it is nuts.

Two Texas high school football players were ejected from a game Friday night after drilling into an official during a play. If you watch the video, it looks like the players were targeting the ref on purpose. The chatter around the internet water cooler has suggested the two players were getting back at the official for a bad call.

According to some reports, late in San Antonio John Jay’s 15-9 loss at Marble Falls, one defensive back ran from 7 yards away and drilled right into the back of an official watching a run play unfold 9 yards in front of him. After the referee fell to the turf after the first hit, another player dove right into the official with his helmet.

I guess the referee forgot the unofficial Texan motto: “Don’t mess with Texas.”

Or its football teams.

Article written by Ricki Barker

Writer of things. Watcher of sports. Wearer of blue. Sometimes all at once.

23 Comments for Official gets taken out by high school players

1. somerset bill
    11:19 am September 6, 2015 Permalink

career-ending hits for the players, let’s hope.

• mashburnfan1
      11:24 am September 6, 2015 Permalink

Agree…the intent should ban them from ever playing sports while in high school, any sport.

• Kay S. Arrrrgh
      12:42 pm September 6, 2015 Permalink

Agreed. These punk thugs should be kicked out of school.

2. Not Dan Issel
    11:26 am September 6, 2015 Permalink

Players should not only be immediately dismissed from their team, but should also be charged with criminal assault and tried as adults if not already 18 years of age. Obvious that this was an intentional act on their part to take out this official. No room for “they were just kids” in this incident. Truly disgusting.

3. Glass joe
    11:33 am September 6, 2015 Permalink

Charge them with Criminal Assault? Let’s torch thousands of taxpayer dollars to prosecute 2 teenagers for an obvious immature decision. This is nothing the school and parenting could fix not the judicial system. Plus, Petrino will offer them a scholarship if they’re tried and convicted.

• The Professor
      2:36 pm September 6, 2015 Permalink

Every criminal act that is prosecuted uses tax payers dollars so that is a really ludicrous argument for not pursuing charges. Using your logic, all teenagers would have free reign to assault without fear of criminal action.

4. BigBlue37
    11:33 am September 6, 2015 Permalink

Players need to be kicked off the team and expelled from that school. Coach needs to be fired, and the team should forfeit their season.

• catdaddyd
      2:33 pm September 6, 2015 Permalink

Agree, I doubt they acted alone. A position coach or maybe even the head coach was probably involved somehow. Coward move to drill him in the back like that.

5. Eyebleedblue
    11:42 am September 6, 2015 Permalink

I agree with BigBlue. Kick them all out. On a side note I have 20 sites bookmarked on my ipad and KSR is the only one that is slow and constantly reloads.

• UKfaninLou
      6:27 pm September 6, 2015 Permalink

FINALLY someone else mentions this! Thought I was the only one. KSR has become almost unreadable because it reloads over and over on my iPad. Wth?

• Kat308
      9:53 pm September 6, 2015 Permalink

Eye bleed blue I agree with your statement especially the reloading

6. LooseButtholes
    12:07 pm September 6, 2015 Permalink

I don’t know what is wrong with the rest of you people but I really wish this kind of shit happened more often. Refs who abuse their power need to watch this and be reminded that they could easily get squashed by a 16-18yo kid at any time…

• shepdog3270
      12:12 pm September 6, 2015 Permalink

Oh yes, the gene pool at work again…your statement might be one of the most ridiculous I have ever heard.

• JLP
      12:13 pm September 6, 2015 Permalink

Your “name” mirrors your opinions.

• Delk for 3
      12:53 pm September 6, 2015 Permalink

Your comment makes me sick. As a HS basketball referee, this type of action by HS players makes me shudder. It’s downright scary as a ref to think you can be at risk of physical assault while trying to ref a game. The lack of caring about another fellow human being is the most scary part of this video.

• RickInTx
      7:15 pm September 6, 2015 Permalink

As a former football official in Texas I can tell you that officials are graded on every game. Coaches have the option of refusing to work with officials they consider incompetent. In all my years officiating I never heard of any coach condoning, much less encouraging, this type of behavior. It is my opinion these 2 players took this action on their own. They should never be allowed to play football again. The official that was assaulted wants to press charges and I support that action. Another disclaimer, I officiated from the umpire position as the official attacked. Umpire is a busy position. There are players moving all around you and it is easy to accidentally run into. This event is not an accident.

7. JEFF
    12:28 pm September 6, 2015 Permalink

Everyone dreams of drilling that one a-hole ref and these kids had the nads to do what others could not. I say bravo!!!

• Chuck Norris
      12:54 pm September 6, 2015 Permalink

Yeah, wouldn’t it have been hilarious if they paralyzed him for life, or better yet fractured his skull and he died on the field in front of the whole crowd? You’re a dingus. I know these are high school kids and aren’t nearly as big as the official; but if that second kid’s helmet would have collided with the ref’s head, things could have gone really. But glad you got a kick out of it, sicko.

• Delk for 3
      12:56 pm September 6, 2015 Permalink

You are a complete idiot. People forget that refs are human beings. If this ref was your son, brother, best friend, or dad, you’d be outraged.

• Chuck Norris
      12:56 pm September 6, 2015 Permalink

*gone bad (how about a comment editing button KSR??)

• Just Say'n
      1:49 pm September 6, 2015 Permalink

NO, everyone doesn’t dream of drilling the ref in the back while he’s not aware you’re coming. These kids were gutless [email protected] and if you think that action was fine you’re a gutless [email protected] as well.

They and you are the same type that will play the sucker punch game instead of facing your adversary face to face. VERY manly of you ‘guys’.

8. guindage
    1:01 pm September 6, 2015 Permalink

They clearly targeted the ref because of his ponytail. No place for ponytails in football.

9. BGF
    9:10 pm September 6, 2015 Permalink

My Dad and brother are both officials and this video is disgusting. I am a high school football and if two players on my team did this they would be the two bested conditioned players in the entire country; kicking them off the team would be too easy.