High Point Enterprise

High Point Enterprise

High Point Enterprise

Bam Adebayo had a tall task in front of him tonight at the HoopHall Classic in Springfield, Massachusetts.  The 5-star forward faced-off against the #1 team in the nation, Chino Hills.

Bam’s High Point Christian lost 100-75 but he still had an impressive stat line, finishing with 13 points and 18 rebounds.  Chino Hills’ up-and-down style of play made it difficult for him to find any rhythm playing the post in the half court offense, yet he still found a way to be effective.

Shout out to the UK fans sitting behind the announcers during tonight's game.

Shout out to the UK fans sitting behind the announcers during tonight’s game.

1.  He is a well-rounded player.

I had heard it before, but I still didn’t expect him to be such a complete player.  When you see a guy that big dunk that hard, it’s hard to imagine him doing anything outside of the post.  I was wrong.

2.  Awareness and vision make him a great passer.

Even though he’s usually in a crowded lane, he knows where his teammates are and can get it to them even when he’s being surrounded by double and triple teams.  Passing out the post is under-valued.  It’s been absent from this team, taking away easy inside-out shooting opportunities.  The will not be the case with Adebayo in the post for Kentucky.

3.  The man runs the floor like no other.

Chino Hills plays faster than Roy Williams at North Carolina, more comparable to the old Loyola-Marymount teams that were running and gunning in the early 90’s.  Even though Bam looks the part of “athletic freak,” I didn’t expect him to keep up.  Yet, he never slowed down.  Not only was he keeping up, he was a threat on the fast break.  He showed a next-level type of motor.  Even after multiple trips down the court, he was still fighting off multiple defenders for rebounds.  Which brings me to my next point…

4.  He does everything right rebounding the ball.

It’s not just because he’s jumping over guys for the ball, he is fundamental, boxing out how coaches teach you to box out.  Bam puts himself in great position to rebound on the defensive end, and hustles toward the rim on the offensive end.

5.  Bam is a brute, with touch.

Nothing is more difficult than taking contact, yet still having enough touch to finish.  Bam didn’t have a ton of opportunities, but every single shot he put up was with purpose and had enough finesse to fall in.  Hopefully this won’t be the last chance we have to watch him on National TV, because I have a feeling tonight only scratched the surface.

Here’s just a few highlights I compiled during this evening’s game.

w

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

8 Comments for Observations, Analysis and Highlights from Bam Adebayo’s HoopHall Classic Performance

1. FlatTopsAndBlockedShots
    10:08 pm January 18, 2016 Permalink

They didn’t run a single play for Adebayo the whole game, trust me they didn’t. He actually could’ve had more rebounds which is the crazy part. Lonzo Ball on the other hand is going to be a major factor for UCLA but that full court pass stuff will only work maybe once or twice a game in college when every player is a high level talent.

2. Thisishappening
    10:37 pm January 18, 2016 Permalink

Bam Adebayo > Greensburg Bam

3. winagain1
    11:17 pm January 18, 2016 Permalink

I’m very excited about this man Bam! I usually say ‘young man’ when referring to high school players… But Bam is a man. Hope he does big things next year for the Cats.

4. chudson18
    2:17 am January 19, 2016 Permalink

Bam is a kid who is very very skilled, and he will compliment Tai next season with the rebounding skill he has and will likely draw a double team some games in the post and he has the ability to find the open shooters to knock down shots and he is the type of player Poythress was his freshman year who never had a play ran and just played hard! Ready to see him in the blue and playing high level ball. GO BAM!!

5. trmanning21
    8:16 am January 19, 2016 Permalink

Guy in the pic here. I’m a grad student in Strength and Conditioning (think Coach Rock) here at Springfield College. Alumnus of UK 2012 in Exercise Science. Let’s hear it for nerds.
    The analysis of Bam is spot on. He stood out in the kind of game that was almost designed to mask him. He is competitive, vocal, technically and fundamentally sound when it comes to rebounding and creating opportunities for himself on offense, a leader, doesn’t try to play outside of his position on offense, and I could keep going. I wish I could see him in a game that highlighted him better. Nonetheless, excited for this more athletic version of Patrick Patterson.

6. UKALLDAY1
    10:59 am January 19, 2016 Permalink

I know I might catch some scrutiny for this and I love De’aaron. But Lonzo Ball is the best point guard in the country! Easily the best passing and rebounding guard in the country a decent shooter and a really good defender with savage competitiveness. He was rebounding with Adebayo and also defending him and the kid is 6’5”and was outweighed by like 100 pounds. He’s like Magic Johnson out there, the game always goes at his pace. Those long one handed touchdown passes off rebounds & steals is a unique talent. But like I said De’Aaron is legit as well.

• A_Blue_Wildcat
      2:23 pm January 19, 2016 Permalink

I think Lonzo is the best rebounding guard, and maybe the best passing guard (I think only slightly above De’Aaron), but I still put De’Aaron over him. De’Aaron is a better defender, much more athletic, and an allround better scorer. Both are gonna be great guards, but I think De’Aaron will be a bigger impact player at both the college and pro level.

7. Lou
    8:24 pm January 19, 2016 Permalink

Other guy in the photo. I’ve been attending the Spalding HoopHall Classic since MKG and Anthony Davis were seniors. I also saw Bam play 4 games at the City of Palms in December where he had one game exactly like this game, i.e. watching teammates ignore his post-ups while firing away from the 3. He has a motor and dunks with more authority than Poythress. Needs to improve on D (don’t all HS players?), ball handling, and short jumpers. Could use him this year!