Nothing goes together like KSR and Poke Sallett (Thursday Show Thread)

After a wild Wednesday, Matt Jones and Ryan Lemond have successfully made it to Harlan for the Poke Sallett Festival.  KSR’s dynamic duo will share stories from the day and some delicious Poke Sallett greens.

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

affiliate-list

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

39 Comments for Nothing goes together like KSR and Poke Sallett (Thursday Show Thread)

1. runningunnin.454
    9:55 am June 1, 2017 Permalink

I don’t know if poke sallet is a weed or not; but, I know doughnuts are not really nuts.
    More coffee?

2. Realme
    10:07 am June 1, 2017 Permalink

In honor of poke sallet, should we all talk about the weirdest things we ever ate?

I haven’t had anything really crazy, but I have had some things that I don’t actually know what they were. One was some kind of fish-like meat on a Russian airline that no one recognized, and the staff couldn’t tell us because no translator. I’ve also had “steak” cooked by a local that lived in a Mexican garbage dump (there’s a whole community that lives there).

• J-Dub421
      10:10 am June 1, 2017 Permalink

I’ve had squab (pigeon), also octopus bacon.

• runningunnin.454
      10:13 am June 1, 2017 Permalink

I’ve eaten rattlesnake.

• Realme
      10:21 am June 1, 2017 Permalink

Octopus bacon kind of sounds good.

• I’ve had:

*Moose pot roast (tasted like chicken…JK!!! 🙂 …it tasted like venison to me)
      *Moose meatloaf
      *Rattlesnake (terrible…had to chew through these sinewy bones to get the least bit of meat)
      *Gator (not bad)
      *Frog legs (not bad)
      *Raccoon

Actually, now that I think about it, I don’t think I had the stomach to try the raccoon. One of the elders at our church used to own a restaurant, and he used to have an annual wild game dinner for the men. Fun times!

• J-Dub421
      10:55 am June 1, 2017 Permalink

The octopus bacon was decent, but a bit salty for me and a little chewy.

I have also had kangaroo and antelope.

• Realme
      11:04 am June 1, 2017 Permalink

I think kangaroo might be the winner.

• Realme
      11:07 am June 1, 2017 Permalink

Best known foods I could offer are cow tongue and goat, but lots of people eat those.

• Octopus bacon (insert vomit emoji here)…ack! Octopus, squid, and calamari are always like rubber IMO.

I also had elk and quail at those dinners, and probably some stuff I can’t remember. Elk and quail aren’t the most exotic meats, but not something most have everyday.

I agree Realme, I think kangaroo might be the most unique one listed.

BTW, a friend of mine at church LOVES squirrel and dumplin’s. I tell him I’ll stick with chicken and dumplin’s! Squirrel & dove taste like liver to me (gross).

• Realme, you just reminded me: I had hog brains & eggs as a kid. I was too young to be grossed out, but the thought now is totally gross to me. I think I had cow tongue along the way too.

• runningunnin.454
      11:14 am June 1, 2017 Permalink

I drew the line with Rocky Mountain Oysters.

• J-Dub421
      11:14 am June 1, 2017 Permalink

There’s a restaurant in Louisville called Game. They only make burgers and meatballs (and a few sides), but they use exotic meats. It’s really good and they have an extensive beer list as well.

• J-Dub421
      11:16 am June 1, 2017 Permalink

If the calamari you’ve had was rubbery, then it was overcooked.

• So should we be sharing recipes in this same thread? Ha!

3. Realme
    10:14 am June 1, 2017 Permalink

Looked like Leland was the cause of the wreck, but it’s more fun to say “that’s so Ryan”.

• J-Dub421
      10:19 am June 1, 2017 Permalink

I have never encountered Ryan on the road and hope I never do.

4. runningunnin.454
    10:33 am June 1, 2017 Permalink

Lorrie Morgan’s given name is Loretta Lynn Morgan…that’s so Kentucky.

5. Realme
    10:43 am June 1, 2017 Permalink

Lavar must be steaming about Fox’s Nike deal.

• J-Dub421
      10:51 am June 1, 2017 Permalink

You knew Big Baller Brand wasn’t going to sign the dude who made Lonzo look like a fool twice.

• I just can’t imagine coming in to that kind of money all at once. Wow.

• Realme
      11:20 am June 1, 2017 Permalink

I hope he out-earns Lonzo for the entirety of their careers. Not fair to root against a kid because of his dad, but I can’t help it.

6. Realme
    10:44 am June 1, 2017 Permalink

It sounds like a recipe for diarrhea, but I’ll try anything once.

7. runningunnin.454
    10:53 am June 1, 2017 Permalink

Oh lordy, they don’t know when Kentucky became a state?
    How about 1492 and 1776?

8. Craig
    10:54 am June 1, 2017 Permalink

Someone needs to tell Ryan that the expression is, “If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck.” There’s nothing about poop involved.

9. secrick
    10:56 am June 1, 2017 Permalink

Anyone ever been to Harlan?

• ClutchCargo
      11:04 am June 1, 2017 Permalink

I’m afraid so.

• Loganville Cat
      3:32 pm June 1, 2017 Permalink

Born and raised in Harlan and will retire there after doing my time in hell (Atlanta). Sorry you didn’t seem to like it but you must have been hanging out in the wrong places.

10. J-Dub421
    11:18 am June 1, 2017 Permalink

And this whole segment about Derek Willis perfectly explains why he frustrated me so much. He’s so talented but couldn’t get out of his own way for a long time. I hate to watch a player squander their talent like that.

• Realme
      11:19 am June 1, 2017 Permalink

Yeah, no one should be surprised, we saw it all along.

• J-Dub421
      11:26 am June 1, 2017 Permalink

Derek did an interview recently where he pretty much said that he wasted his first couple of years and wished he had worked harder.

• J-Dub421
      11:38 am June 1, 2017 Permalink

The Cavs will regret cutting Liggins. They need someone to slow down Curry/Thompson, and Liggins would have been the guy for the job.

• runningunnin.454
      11:42 am June 1, 2017 Permalink

That was very surprising, since Lebron liked Liggins’ game so much.

11. BTW, is KISS really performing at the festival, or is it one of those tribute bands? Or is it neither?

12. 4everblue
    12:24 pm June 1, 2017 Permalink

Tony Joe White should be in attendance since he had the hit song “Poke Sallet Annie”