No fans allowed at The Masters this year

Do you want the good news or the bad news? The good news is, The Masters will still take place November 9-15 in Augusta, Georgia. The bad news? No fans will be allowed in.

Like most sports news these days, the announcement is depressing, but expected. Fred Ridley, Chairman of Augusta National Golf Club, released this statement.

“Since our initial announcement to postpone the 2020 Masters, we have remained committed to a rescheduled Tournament in November while continually examining how best to host a global sporting event amid this pandemic,” said Ridley. “As we have considered the issues facing us, the health and safety of everyone associated with the Masters always has been our first and most important priority.

“Throughout this process, we have consulted with health officials and a variety of subject matter experts. Ultimately, we determined that the potential risks of welcoming patrons and guests to our grounds in November are simply too significant to overcome.

“Even in the current circumstances, staging the Masters without patrons is deeply disappointing. The guests who come to Augusta each spring from around the world are a key component to making the Tournament so special. Augusta National has the responsibility, however, to understand and accept the challenges associated with this virus and take the necessary precautions to conduct all aspects of the Tournament in a safe manner. We look forward to the day when we can welcome all of our patrons back, hopefully in April 2021.

“We appreciate the support and patience of all those we serve – including the Augusta community, our corporate and broadcast partners and our friends in golf – as we continue to plan for this historic event.”

All 2020 ticket holders will be guaranteed the same tickets for next year’s event.

10 Comments for No fans allowed at The Masters this year

1. ClutchCargo
    11:13 am August 12, 2020 Permalink

“Fans.” You are now banned for life from Augusta National for not calling them patrons. 🙂

2. Bluehender
    12:13 pm August 12, 2020 Permalink

Just glad the golf is still on…

3. Megan
    12:17 pm August 12, 2020 Permalink

This isn’t bad news. I don’t miss the fans one bit. In fact, I prefer not to hear idiots scream “Mash potato!” immediately after, or during, a player’s drive from the tee. And it’s always guys. Have you noticed? Women are idiots, too, but guys can’t help loudly proving it.

It was strange hearing all the comments at last week’s PGA championship about not having crowds around. Welcome to our world! That’s how 99.9% of golf is played. They don’t seems to understand how elitist they sound when they lament having to play a quiet round like the rest of us (who don’t have spotters much less throngs who will find our errant shots and stop balls around the green). Boo-hoo. Millionaire problems, huh?

• The Original WTF Guy
      12:46 pm August 12, 2020 Permalink

Megan, I sort of agree with you, but either you don’t watch a lot of golf or you have never been to Augusta to hear what that tournament is like. It is magic when someone makes a big shot down around Amen Corner and the roar comes up the hill to the clubhouse. Not having fans makes a big difference. For that matter, can you imagine what it would have been like when Morikawa hit that drive on 16 this past Sunday?

As someone who has tix to the 2020 Masters I am disappointed I won’t be there in November to see a very unique looking Augusta National, but I am very much looking forward to being there in April, 2021 the week after UK wins #9!

• ClutchCargo
      1:33 pm August 12, 2020 Permalink

The PGA Tour is a spectator sport. It’s really pointless to compare that to a casual round by amateurs. I don’t even watch golf anymore, but I understand the difference.

• antiquefurnitureandmidgets
      4:17 pm August 12, 2020 Permalink

And I’m equally as thrilled the a-holes screaming “get in the hole” on tee shots aren’t there. Because that joke never gets old.

• J. Did
      7:43 pm August 12, 2020 Permalink

Ms. Tyler, perfect opportunity to say: No, I will not make you a “Pimento Cheese Sandwich”, but you can follow me on Twitter @MrsTylerKSR or email me.

Second: I am most happy to not hear, “Get in the hole”, which needed a vacation from the most overused phrase in sports history.

4. csnailnrun
    5:44 pm August 12, 2020 Permalink

Snoooooooze

5. satcheluk
    10:42 pm August 12, 2020 Permalink

It’s all a hoax! Der ta der, der , der!

6. UK alumni/fan/contributor
    1:12 am August 13, 2020 Permalink

Wouldn’t be surprised if they eventually cancel the Masters considering what an abominable job the state of Georgia has done in controlling the spread of COVID-19.