No basketball game, but plenty of radio fun (Thursday Show Thread)

Fuggins in the flesh.

Fuggins in the flesh.

Fuggins in the flesh.

Good Morning KSR Nation!  Matt and Drew are once again sending their love to the main island from the beautiful Atlantis Resort on Paradise Island, Bahamas.  Without Jay Bilas or machete guy (hopefully) on the show today, we need YOUR calls to help the delusional vacationers know what is happening in the outside world.  Whatever it is, I doubt it’s as cool as the stories that will be shared this morning from the trip.  Gosh I envy them right now…

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

KSR Affiliate List

WBGN (1340am): Bowling Green
WAIN (93.9fm): Columbia
WHIR (1230am): Danville
WCLU (1490am): Glasgow
WGOH (1370am): Grayson
WTUK (105.1fm): Harlan (starting August 18th)
WHOP (95.3fm): Hopkinsville
WLSI (900am) Pikeville
WPRT (960am): Prestonsburg
WSFC (1240am): Somerset
WTCW (920am): Whitesburg
WHAY (98.3fm): Whitley City
WBTH (1400am): Williamson

On Delay (ALL TIMES LISTED EASTERN)…

WCBL (1290am): Benton, 12-2pm
WVHI (1330am): Evansville, IN, 5-7pm
WMTL (870am): Leitchfield, 11am-1pm
WLBQ (1570am): Morgantown, 3-5pm
WRIL (106.3fm): Middlesboro, T

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

84 Comments for No basketball game, but plenty of radio fun (Thursday Show Thread)

1. DrSayre
    9:55 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

Does anybody have the SEC Network? I checked before I left home and I couldnt find it at 404 or 408 on Dish Network.

• DrSayre
      10:02 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

It looks like it doesnt start until 6 pm tonight…although it does concern me a little it doesnt show the SEC Network on the guide…

• realme
      10:07 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

I’m hoping it will just appear this evening, so I can set the dvr for tomorrow.

• L1C6
      10:11 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

Yeah I’m going out of town this weekend and want to set the dvr to record games, but Dish isn’t showing it yet so I can’t set it. Hopefully tonight. #firstworldproblems

• Matthew
      10:32 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

In SW Ohio, TWC shows channel 336 on the digital listing…which is not and HD channel. I contacted TWC and ask them if the SEC Channel will be offered in HD and they said “No”. I am getting it at no extra charge but, I would be willing to pay extra for HD.

• gonjie
      2:25 pm August 14, 2014 Permalink

twc told me it would start @ 6pm on channel 1336 (which is now the b ten chan)—at no extra charge.

2. UK_JB
    9:57 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

Bring on the SEC network… but I don’t have cable nor Sat. No more games on Kay Why Tea (WKYT-TV) except the NCAA tournament.

• DrSayre
      10:21 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

Honestly that’s why I don’t like the idea of the SEC Network. I miss the days of Larry Conley and Tom Hammond calling our games on Jefferson Pilot. I’ll miss Kyle Macy and Dave Baker (although I suppose both of them will probably work for the SEC Network), and Rob Bromley going inside the huddle on the Big Blue TV Network. But most of all, I’ll miss just having to go to channel 27 to watch Kentucky Basketball instead of having to hunt down which channel UK plays every time we play.

3. GayDar
    10:07 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

You fellas find your selves a nice Cabana Boy over there to play with ?

• Moose
      10:14 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

Is that what’s on your mind? Maybe you should turn to Grindr to help you act out on your thoughts.

4. Shawon
    10:08 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

iHeartRadio still not working for me, so I switched to the TuneIn Radio app and I am now listening through the Monticello affiliate. What up Wayne County!!!

5. Carter
    10:08 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

I love watching this team. It has been a joy. I’m sure everyone in the Bahamas is having a ball.

I’d like for someone to find an answer to a question that I have regarding a half empty gym in the Bahamas. We were told on the radio show that the only way one could attend this game was to buy the packet deal that was being offered. It is obvious the games have not been a sell-out. How many fans out there would have gone or would possibly even consider going down now for the final three games if they hadn’t been misled. Seems to me this trip was controlled by someone who wanted to have a restrictive controlled monopoly on access. Explain, maybe someone just made mistakes but I would like an answer. TV and the SEC Network, as well as Kentuckians deserved a full gym and once again the opportunity to see what the BBN is like.

6. Zac
    10:16 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

An Olympic size pool is 50 meters
    There for half would 25 meters

7. samk
    10:16 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

I know this seems like a negative little blip on the radar from down there in the Bahamas, but can we just mention briefly how lame it is that the Ticketmaster fees aren’t going to be refunded for the Alumni game? Lots of ticketholders bought tickets to the game because they can’t afford to watch any other UK basketball events live. For some families, those fees are a good chunk of change. I know the fees wouldn’t be refunded for like a concert or whatever, but I think it is a shame for the fans to take this hit instead of the athletics department that wasn’t organized enough to ensure there would be 20 guys on the floor.

• BlueRedNeck
      10:21 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

Ticketmaster and their fees are one of the biggest shams of modern day history. Total cash cow.

• ukbradstith
      10:47 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

UK should take care of this if Ticketmaster won’t. No excuse for that.

8. J-Dub421
    10:18 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

That would be a 25 meter pool then, and we used to go down and back like that all the time in swim practice, Matt. I could do that at 13.

• Division 1 Collegiate Swimmer
      10:20 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

Underwater without breathing. No you didn’t

• J-Dub421
      10:26 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

I was a competitive swimmer. Yes, I did. I could do a 50 under water no breath short course or long course.

9. Division 1 Collegiate Swimmer
    10:18 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

For a non-swimmer it is impressive.

10. Not Dan Issel
    10:20 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

The SEC Network is showing up as channel 395 on Comcast in Elizabethtown, but, as others have already noted, it is not active until 6pm.

11. Jay
    10:20 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

Doesn’t WCS have sickle cell trait? That would make his cells have decreased oxygen carrying capacity. Even more impressive.

12. Eight Letters
    10:20 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

Willie can be the Navy’s first 7-foot Super Seal.

13. Jared
    10:21 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

Did Matt just say it was impressive to hold your breath for 30 to 40 seconds???

• Delk for 3
      10:24 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

I hope not. As a 12 year old I could hold my breath for like 75 seconds.

14. Delk for 3
    10:22 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

So tired of hearing “premature ejaculation” during the commercials

• BlueRedNeck
      10:25 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

Between those ads and the jewelry selling nerds I would like to go in and napalm their businesses rather than patronize them.

15. JPL
    10:22 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

I was a collegiate swimmer at Berea College and swimming the length of a 25 yard pool down and back was normal for me and my team mates. However, a fit, strong swimmer like Willie should be able to do it as well. Swimming fast just uses up the oxygen in your blood faster.

16. Bobcat
    10:23 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

I was in the Dominican Republic back in May and anyone I talked to at the Resort about being from Kentucky got so excited and screamed “KENTUCKY FRIED CHICKEN!” so it must be an island thing. They gave us a disapproving look when we said that we don’t even eat there.

17. BlueRedNeck
    10:23 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

Nothing like having to explain erectile dysfunction and premature ejaculation to your 10 year old daughter because of the inane radio and TV ads. I long for the good old days when the FCC actually did something to keep crap like this off the airwaves. And the good old days were probably less than five years ago.

18. BigBlueJamesJ
    10:25 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

I don’t know what’s more interesting KSR or hearing about ways people can cure their premature ejackulating problems

19. tuxedo park
    10:27 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

Shannon is definitely taking part in the L’ville Purge

20. Kev in hazard
    10:27 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

Where will Cal be on the swag meter if we win all 6 games by 20 plus?

21. Lenard
    10:28 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

Karl towns nick Name should be katniss everdeen

22. Laker Cat 18
    10:28 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

A significant number of Louisville civilians are nut jobs that would follow through with stupidity like this.

• realme
      10:32 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

They are so dumb. It would only be like The Purge if the cops were going to look the other way.

• BlueRedNeck
      10:38 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

The cops should just warn everyone to fortress themselves inside their homes for a night and let these dumbasses kill each other off. That is a purge that would benefit all of society.

23. Marcus
    10:29 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

What channel on Directv?

• realme
      10:32 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

611

• ThatCrackerBZ
      10:36 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

Their website says 611. I think there will be multiple SEC Network channels, all of them right around there.

24. Chris
    10:31 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

Two things:
    1. Matt I don’t think you want Shannon chaining Maria up.
    2. I see a photoshop of Drew attached to Karl’s leg as he is dunking it.

25. Fake_TG_Thunder_Shuck
    10:31 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

Not to mention the polar vortex is back.

26. BlueRedNeck
    10:36 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

He didn’t literally dig a hole, he made a hiding spot behind some of the merchandise. The gross thing was he was using diapers from the baby aisle to keep from having to use the bathrooms and risk being detected. I imagine the smell eventually gave away his hiding place.

27. St. Paul Raiders
    10:38 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

As Bobby McFerrin once said….Don’t Gary, Be Happy.

28. tracy
    10:38 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

is anyone else having problems with I heart radio?

• Shawon
      10:43 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

Yes. I can’t listen to any streams for Clear Channel radio stations when not on WiFi. It’s been like that since Tuesday morning.

The streams work fine when I am on WiFi and radio stations that aren’t Clear Channel like WVLK come up fine from anywhere.

• UK8FAN
      10:47 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

I listen on 1230 am Danville online.

• Shawon
      10:48 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

I need to add that these issues are on my cellular device.

29. Travis
    10:42 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

Matt…if you were on the mainland during the Louisville Purge and could stay with three people, who would it be and why? Would you choose someone to protect you, entertain you, or play laser tag?

30. ukbradstith
    10:44 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

I’m pretty sure that is a movie with Ashley Judd and Natalie Portman. I never saw it, but I think they lived in a Walmart because they were homeless.

• ukbradstith
      10:50 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

Where the Heart Is

31. Kelly
    10:45 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

About the kid at Walmart – The Mom said he is prone to running away. He also wore a diaper so he didn’t have to go to the restroom to often. Wow!

32. UK8FAN
    10:45 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

Matt, the Walmart kid’s parents were out of town. He was staying with his Aunt. He ran away from her to the Walmart. He had a history of running away, but not of wearing diapers haha.

33. Beth in Louisville
    10:48 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

The Wal-mart boy was staying with family temporarily and had a history of running away and living in abandoned homes. He wa pretty crafty. He changes clothes several times so he wouldn’t get caught!

34. harry
    10:49 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

I am not in loop with the modern day running away problems, but Walmart seems like a logical choice

35. ukbradstith
    10:49 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

“Where the Heart is” is the movie with Ashley Judd where Natalie Portman lives in the Wal-Mart.

36. Pro purgist
    10:52 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

I live in rural Louisville with a quarter mile gravel driveway that lets me know when anyone is coming. I will certainly do my part during the purge if someone decides to make a visit to my home. #loadedfirearms

37. Shawon
    10:55 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

I love how Big Brother is still tearing down Louisville Football even when Matt & Drew are all about basketball in the Bahamas and have no clue what is going on back in Kentucky (which isn’t much).

• BlueRedNeck
      11:18 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

You mad, bro?

38. Bert from Somerset
    10:56 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

39. Delk for 3
    10:58 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

Anybody else miss the show thread when it’s really rolling? We haven’t had a really good show thread for months. Cannot wait until the games start up in a couple weeks.

• realme
      11:12 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

I don’t think it will ever be how it used to be, because so many good commenters have migrated over to twitter.

• Delk for 3
      11:33 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

Disagree. This is how it is every summer. When the games get going, people start commenting a lot.

• realme
      11:38 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

Hope you’re right. I’m on twitter, but this is easier for at work.

40. Dubbya
    10:59 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

Would Big Brother stop already? Every time he calls he says the exact same thing about Louisville being delusional. I hate Louisville as much as the next guy, but come on man, it’s becoming a buzz kill. We know they are delusional about there football program, you don’t have to remind us every time.

41. ukbradstith
    11:11 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

I stream the game at work on ESPN but I can only really watch the last half hour or so. I tape it and watch it when I get home.

42. Kelly
    11:11 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

I listen to them live and then go back and then watch it when I get home from work.

43. cats fan from bg
    11:14 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

Matt I’m taking an extended lunch break to watch these games. Shhh dont tell my boss

44. CTsenior
    11:15 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

Step 1. DVR Game
    Step 2. Listen to Tom, Mike & Matt (surreptitiously)
    Step 3. Watch game after work

45. BBN
    11:16 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

Matt, have you made any long distance phone calls to see who the starting Quarterback is?

46. Big blue maniac
    11:17 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

BREAKING NEWS!!!! IU to hang banners for going 3 – 1 on summer trip

47. Johnny M
    11:21 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

Matt’s shirt just now blinded Madison all the way from the Bahamas, that’s why he couldn’t hang up the phone

48. wedding planner
    11:23 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

Does UK cover the cost of all the meals for the players? How does that work when they are on their own?

Curious because it is so expensive there.. if UK does not cover, it is very unfair to the players

49. Colton
    11:30 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

My boss let me bring in my xbox and hook it up to the security monitor. So we took a 2 hour lunch break to watch the game while everyone else was working.

50. Ira D. Combs
    11:34 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

I’ve got (2) UK Football season tickets for sale Sec. 125 Row 16 Seats 34 & 35 only want face value back for tickets .

• Delk for 3
      11:39 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

I will buy.Please contact me at:
      [email protected]

• Delk for 3
      11:47 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

I apologize Ira. I looked online and found that I could purchase some tickets closer to mid-field for face value.

51. noone puts Baby in a corner
    11:39 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

Doesn’t the French team make you think of Chris Rock?

52. MrJohnsonUK
    11:39 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

Every time Matt says ‘Champagne Chalons-Reims,’ a little Al Pacino from Scarface shows up.

Say hello to my little friend.

53. Bmac
    11:43 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

There may be a guy with a machete at the Sleep Outfitters in Louisville tomorrow night

54. bappy
    11:45 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

What’s Cal talking about?

John Calipari
    7 mins ·
    When I get time to myself, you know I can’t help but think. Well, I’ve come up with one of my best ideas yet. It’s crazy, ridiculous. Hum diddy diddy. BUT, I’m not going to tell you until it’s ready to be executed. When I put it together, you’ll say, “That was the idea he was talking about.”

55. Travis
    11:49 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

Dish is channel 408.

56. HoboKat
    12:07 pm August 14, 2014 Permalink

Matt’s selfie face is the new “duck” face.