Nine Hours Away from the Champions Classic (Tuesday Show Thread)

Getty

Getty

If you thought this weekend was crazy, yesterday the news never stopped, providing Matt plenty to talk about today.  In addition to Monday’s craziness, tonight the eyes of the world will be on Kentucky in Madison Square Garden.  Today’s an episode of KSR you don’t want to miss.

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

affiliate-list

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

68 Comments for Nine Hours Away from the Champions Classic (Tuesday Show Thread)

1. ukjaybrat
    9:55 am November 15, 2016 Permalink

i cringed so hard when i saw poythress’s tooth get caught on that net last year… still gives me shivers

2. knowitall
    9:56 am November 15, 2016 Permalink

Can’t listen to the show today, could someone let me know if they talk basketball recruiting and who they are hearing we have the best shot at. I see we are trending in Jared Vanderbilt’s crystal ball. Let me know if it is brought up. Thanks guys!

• Realme
      10:06 am November 15, 2016 Permalink

You probably already saw this, but I just read in another post that we are top 2 with Lonnie Walker and he may announce before the signing period ends.

3. CatBlue in LR
    10:12 am November 15, 2016 Permalink

Matt, point of order — the Champions Classic is the tip-off to the season, not the kickoff.

4. Craig
    10:16 am November 15, 2016 Permalink

Both of our supposed “got our butts handed to us” losses were under 10 points. Michigan State beat us by 4, Duke by 7. Both games we looked like the inferior team but weren’t just whipped. Our wins have been by 10, 32, and 11.

• J-Dub421
      10:18 am November 15, 2016 Permalink

Facts are optional!

5. ^^^ Let’s get this shirt changed to a “9”!!! Now it’s REALLY basketball season! Go Cats!!!

• Realme
      10:26 am November 15, 2016 Permalink

I got a new shirt the other day with all the championship years on it, and am very much looking forward to adding another, hopefully 2017, in Sharpie. 🙂

• I was going to use a Sharpie on this one to change it to a 9 in 2014…then 2015. *sigh*

• Speaking of the ‘ship years, I think I saw on Fanatics or something once that they had a display with miniature replicas of all the ‘ship banners. That would be awesome to have!

6. J-Dub421
    10:21 am November 15, 2016 Permalink

I think MSU will be jet-lagged and struggling with the time change. I think we’ll win by 12-15.

• ukjaybrat
      10:32 am November 15, 2016 Permalink

jet lag usually doesn’t affect you with a one hour difference.

• J-Dub421
      10:36 am November 15, 2016 Permalink

They were just in Hawaii, that’s about a 5 hour difference.

• ukjaybrat
      10:41 am November 15, 2016 Permalink

oh… good call. i was thinking from just east lansing.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:41 am November 15, 2016 Permalink

We play tight in the first half, perhaps even behind at the half, then adjust to win by 18.
      Based on a total SWAG.

7. RealCatsFan
    10:37 am November 15, 2016 Permalink

Who was the musical group that they were just playing? The guy with the beard? Didn’t hear what they said.

• Realme
      10:41 am November 15, 2016 Permalink

Some guy Matt saw on the Voice.

• J-Dub421
      10:41 am November 15, 2016 Permalink

Some guy from The Voice.

8. RealCatsFan
    10:40 am November 15, 2016 Permalink

I am hoping to see our guard play dominate tonight, especially Fox with his speed. If we have a drinking game with all of the Fox / Wall comparisons, we will all be sloshed by halftime. 🙂 Also hoping for a few monstrous “Monk Dunks” and want to see Bam try to break a few backboards. 😀

9. RealCatsFan
    10:54 am November 15, 2016 Permalink

Yep, Louisville thought they were all that. Cockiest bunch of players since the Fab Five. I remember Sosa mugging for the camera after a fast break. Couldn’t believe Pitino allowed that to happen, but as it turns out he was distracted by some strange skank he met at a restaurant. I was so glad to see MSU take them down in the Elite Eight.

10. onsides
    10:55 am November 15, 2016 Permalink

Watching manhattan play Winthrop. I had no idea manhattan was coached by Steve Massiello.

• ukjaybrat
      10:58 am November 15, 2016 Permalink

he’s been there for years. there was a story on here in 2014 when he was supposed to get the south florida job but didn’t because he technically never graduated.

11. Realme
    10:56 am November 15, 2016 Permalink

Saw on Twitter (probably from Oscar), that Billy Donovan was ll set to become our coach, IF he could get Pitino’s blessing, but that blessing did not come. Never heard that one before.

• RealCatsFan
      10:59 am November 15, 2016 Permalink

Yep, I recall that Donovan was said to be a done deal there for a while, but I think Pitino talked him into turning it down – said our fan base is too crazy. (I assume you are talking about the BCG hire. I was hoping they would bring him in after Pitino left, so perhaps you are talking about that coaching vacancy instead.)

• Realme
      11:04 am November 15, 2016 Permalink

I also assumed they were referring to the year we got another Billy, but not sure.

• J-Dub421
      11:19 am November 15, 2016 Permalink

Further proof that Pitino is a selfish dick.

• kybobbyjoe
      11:21 am November 15, 2016 Permalink

Yeah now Donovan has an amazing job in the NBA, he did so bad for himself

• ukjaybrat
      11:22 am November 15, 2016 Permalink

to be fair, that’s just a rumor. but if true,it seems like everything rick has done since he left uk was to spite the fanbase. what did we ever do to him ?

• J-Dub421
      11:25 am November 15, 2016 Permalink

I didn’t say that Donovan did badly for himself. I said Pitino is selfish. There are numerous examples of this. Rick is loyal only to himself. Also, let’s see how Donovan does in OKC without Durant.

• ukjaybrat
      11:27 am November 15, 2016 Permalink

“now Donovan has an amazing job in the NBA”

An amazing job he’s about to get fired from becasue KD left and Westbrooke is about to leave…

• ukjaybrat
      11:29 am November 15, 2016 Permalink

that program screwed itself when they fired Scott Brooks and Donovan will be the scapegoat.

• Of course I have no idea if that story is true, but I’ve said this a million times:

Pitino showed what kind of person he is when he took the UL job and said something like “I know some small minded people will be upset”. If he had just said “I know some UK fans won’t like it but I have to do what’s best for my family” there wouldn’t have been as much fallout. What kind of treatment is that toward a fan base that once thought you hung the moon (me included) as far as coaches go?

• Realme
      11:41 am November 15, 2016 Permalink

Someone should write a book on the transition from loving to hating Rick among our fan base. He’s provided plenty of material, and that would probably be the first event in the timeline.

• I forgot: he should have also added to that statement “And I can understand why they feel that way”, even if that part wasn’t true.

12. RealCatsFan
    10:57 am November 15, 2016 Permalink

Does Louisville still have the big Egyptian playing for them? Dude always reminded me of a llama.

13. Realme
    10:57 am November 15, 2016 Permalink

LOL, I hope Donald Trump is the new Fake Randy Savage of callers.

14. A team that only has a dude named William and a chic named Mary can’t be that tough. 😉

15. onlyone
    11:01 am November 15, 2016 Permalink

The Lexington Leftist Leader picks the Cats by 12 I believe so this could be a tight one knowing their prediction record.

16. Laker Cat 18
    11:04 am November 15, 2016 Permalink

We better find a consistent 3-point shot or we will be playing from behind against some of the most elite teams. I think MSU will make some mistakes tonight and that in itself will give us a shot to win it. Izzo’s squads tend to struggle early and find themselves come March.

17. Laker Cat 18
    11:12 am November 15, 2016 Permalink

Michigan State is a team that will lose 10 games in the regular season and still make the Final Four. Izzo is a great coach.

• Realme
      11:17 am November 15, 2016 Permalink

He’s also not an obnoxious tool (which seems to be rare among great coaches).

• ukjaybrat
      11:20 am November 15, 2016 Permalink

yeah izzo always has good-great teams with average players. if he can get miles to stay until he is a junior or senior, that is going to be a team no one will want to face.

18. kybobbyjoe
    11:21 am November 15, 2016 Permalink

UK football has overachieved? hahahahahahah

• UK Big Board Update
      1:51 pm November 15, 2016 Permalink

There are those in the world who gain pleasure from inciting a reaction when deriding others. Those people are almost always unsuccessful in life which is why they feel they must inflict their self loathing onto others. I actually feel sorry for these people, as they can never be truly happy.

19. Realme
    11:27 am November 15, 2016 Permalink

If Trae Young likes Cal so much, why not go ahead and commit while there’s definitely a spot open?

• ukjaybrat
      11:30 am November 15, 2016 Permalink

young is the best point gaurd in the country, there will be a spot open whenever he commits.

• Realme
      11:32 am November 15, 2016 Permalink

I didn’t know he was the top pg, I don’t really follow guys until they commit. We also probably need several guards next year anyways.

• ukjaybrat
      11:33 am November 15, 2016 Permalink

i think he’s just sticking it out to see if we are good enough that briscoe and fox leave. because if any of those guys stay, young will come off the bench. and although i think he would still “get his” coming off the bench. it’s hard to make that sacrifice when you could go ANYWHERE else, be a starter day 1, and be the superstar.

• ukjaybrat
      11:35 am November 15, 2016 Permalink

depends on where you look. some pleaces have him #1 some have him at #3. but still. maybe not unanimously the best. but none-the-less, there will be room on the roster if he decides to come here because as you said, we need several guards if we have the mass exodus after this season we are expecting.

• J-Dub421
      11:42 am November 15, 2016 Permalink

I am fairly certain we will have to replace our entire backcourt after this season. We lose Hawkins and Mulder to graduation, and we’ll lose Fox, Briscoe, and Monk to the NBA. We need 4-5 guards for next year.

20. True story: we once had a TV reporter where I live (in Bama) who was from Louisiana. Auburn was going to the bowl in Shreveport and he did a story about it. He didn’t realize that when it was over the camera was still rolling and he said something like “Take a good book because there ain’t nothin’ to do in Shreveport!” People over there got wind of it (the video was on their news I think…it was way before YouTube) and they hated him and Auburn because of it. He laughed about it with a local radio host after that.

• J-Dub421
      11:47 am November 15, 2016 Permalink

One of my good friends lived in Shreveport for a couple of years while her husband was stationed there. She HATED Shreveport.

21. Realme
    11:46 am November 15, 2016 Permalink

I really enjoy talking to you guys. We’ve got a really good core group active right now.

22. RealCatsFan
    11:54 am November 15, 2016 Permalink

I was curious and did a search on Sydney McLaughlin. Wow, she looks to be a rising star! Very mature and well spoken, and she has the potential to be another huge Olympic stat – maybe another FloJo or similar – she is that good. Sounds like she will be a great face for the UK Track Team. Since I am a dad to two daughters, it is always really cool for me to read about amazing female athletes. They are underappreciated IMO.

• J-Dub421
      11:57 am November 15, 2016 Permalink

Very true. EJ’s dad is starting to build our program into a track and field power. Getting a rising star like McLaughlin will only raise the UK track and field profile further.

• She is easy on the eyes (no creeper).

• J-Dub421
      12:05 pm November 15, 2016 Permalink

She’s 17, just fyi.

• RealCatsFan
      12:13 pm November 15, 2016 Permalink

CG, no worries. 🙂 A lot of our older female fan base members had the same opinion of Devin Booker and the Harrison twins. 😉

• Yeah, I remember Josephine loved Devin. It was funny.

J-Dub, understood! 🙂

23. Realme
    11:54 am November 15, 2016 Permalink

Hopefully Bam gets really good at free throw shooting.

• J-Dub421
      11:58 am November 15, 2016 Permalink

He did well at the line in our last game.