Neil Diamond’s News and Views

neil_diamond1 pinuppickspenup.com

Hurry everyone hurry! You only have one hour left to celebrate the 73rd birthday of Neil Diamond.  The master of smooth soul and sequence shirts, Brooklyn’s Cowboy is most revered for his “Sweet Caroline” (BUMP BUMP BUMP).  Neil has cemented his place in history with Caroline; since 2002 the song has been belted out by thousands of fans during every 8th-inning stretch at Fenway Park.

That’s kind of a big deal, but Neil SHOULD be most-known for helping UK-fan Steve Zahn and Jack Black Save Silverman back in 2001.

Love is such a beautiful thing, on to the news…

– Tomorrow your University of Kentucky Wildcats take on 15.5 under-Dawgs from Georgia (#Puns) at 1:30.  Do yourself a favor if you plan on going TAKE YOUR TIME.  With meteorologists forecasting for 1-2 inches of snow and temperatures staying below 30 degrees, getting to Rupp Arena will not be the easiest task.  Just listen to Coach Cal, “Do not be in a rush in that weather!”

–  James Young and Julius Randle were selected today to the Wayman Tisdale Freshman of the Year Award Watch list.  The duo will attempt to join John Wall and Anthony Davis as winners under Cal at UK.

–  #BBN is beginning to become impatient with the play of Willie Cauley-Stein.  I’m just glad we aren’t dealing with Willie Calipari-Stein…

@renewikr

@renewikr

Football Recruiting

–  Today the Herald-Leader reported that Matt Elam could be making his decision between Kentucky and Alabama late next week.  John Hardin football coach Chad Lewis told the HL, “It’s not set in stone yet, but I feel like he’s going to possibly announce late in the week next week.”  With National Signing Day two weeks away, there’s a 50-50 shot that Coach Lewis is correct.

–  This weekend is another big recruiting weekend in Lexington.  Drew Barker teased us earlier, telling #BBN to be prepared for something fancy at halftime during tomorrow’s game.  Part of the show being put on will be to impress the newly committed Kendall Randolph, who is taking his official visit this weekend.  Stoops stole the 4-star DB from his hometown Florida State Seminoles earlier this week.  They don’t get much snow in Talahassee, with Randolph tweeting (@xKenJ) earlier that this is the most snow he’s seen in a LONG time.  Unlike UK students Randolph loves it, “It feels like home here.”

– In other football related news, Goldeneyes Randall Cobb is trading in his cleats this week for a pair of tap shoes, or something like that.  In the NFL’s attempt to take as much money from tourists as possible broaden the league’s horizons, Cobb is one of a few NFL players that will have small parts on Broadway leading up to the Super Bowl.  Cobb will play the role of a bartender in “Rock of Ages.”

Screen Shot 2014-01-24 at 8.33.27 PM

–  Jarrod Polson received the ultimate honor from his high school tonight as West Jessamine immortalized Wilmore’s finest by hanging his jersey in the rafters.   Jarrod is the school’s all-time leading scorer with 1,884 points.  His 2010 run in the Sweet 16 was almost Dominique Hawkins-like, scoring 57 points in 2 games to earn a spot as a walk-on for the Cats, the rest is history….

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

39 Comments for Neil Diamond’s News and Views

1. RJ
    11:04 pm January 24, 2014 Permalink

Let it be known, from henceforth, no longer shall he be called Matt Elam. He shall be called Matt Male. Because I said so.

2. Mitch Cumsteim
    11:09 pm January 24, 2014 Permalink

8th inning stretch? Good lord

• Kevin C.
      3:29 am January 25, 2014 Permalink

He’s referring to that stupid thing they do at Fenway….not the traditional 7th Inning Stretch you’re thinking about.

3. Neil Diamond chest hair
    11:12 pm January 24, 2014 Permalink

What the heck is a sequence shirt?

• Carolina Blue is past tense for CAROLINA BLOWS
      1:31 am January 25, 2014 Permalink

After returning from taking my two boys to the Suns/Wizards game for JWalls autograph and win I thought I had laughed the hardest at the comment from Mitch at #2. That was until I read the comment at #3.

By the way, Wall signed every autograph for those around while others either walked by or signed a few before heading to the locker room. Class act. Cal is creating men with integrity, appreciation and respect for others.

• Kevin C.
      3:26 am January 25, 2014 Permalink

It’s what a hack journalist with a 5th grade reading level calls a sequined shirt, when they don’t have a clue how it’s spelled.

• art vandalay
      9:25 am January 25, 2014 Permalink

Actually, “sequenced” is correct. He wears the shirts in a distinct pattern, or sequence, if you will. On Monday it’s the black fly collar with sequins, Tuesday is the red silk with sequins, and so on and so forth.

In this case sequence is right on the money.

4. UKFan
    11:23 pm January 24, 2014 Permalink

Big congrats to Jarrod. It looks like he comes from good Kentucky stock. I love the talented stars that come to Kentucky but i am happy for the kids that grow up as a member of the BBN and get to live their dream.
    GO CATS!

5. Sally
    11:34 pm January 24, 2014 Permalink

Neil Diamond is a living legend. He has sold over 100 million records and has 10 number one hits. So to reduce him to a stupid, kitschy, manufactured tradition at Fenway Park and one scene in a movie is criminal. Show some respect!

• Kevin C.
      3:30 am January 25, 2014 Permalink

I guess you never saw Saving Silverman….

• Megan
      8:48 am January 25, 2014 Permalink

I have a lot of respect for singer-songwriters. Neil wrote a lot of terrific songs for others before cashing in on his talent. The only thing I didn’t like was the period when he became Elvis Lite, complete with the sequenced white leather jumpsuit and huge collar. That was kind of embarrassing. I guess that’s what Vegas does to you. Britney wore it better.

6. UK Football Fan
    12:16 am January 25, 2014 Permalink

I am looking forward to the afternoon halftime show during the ballgame tomorrow. Drew Barker’s suspense surprise has me curious and infatuated….

7. Real Cracka
    12:42 am January 25, 2014 Permalink

Congrats Polson. If a Patrick Sparks can excel at UK you could have as well. You should have been the starting PG last season. Sadly, we live in an era of out-of-state players trump Kentucky boys. Even if they are worse is the amazing part. I bought into it early but I don’t anymore. I really, really look forward to the change. Cal is probably the best recruiter ever and a solid coach but he doesn’t represent what I’ve always loved about UK basketball. I honestly look forward to the day he moves on. I’d rather win other ways and previous coaches have shown you can. And current coaches at other teams have shown you can. After Tubby giving up and Gillespie I was ready to jump in bed with anybody that could win. Now I just feel like a whore for it.
    This team isn’t going to come anywhere close to winning it all. And they’ll all bail regardless so we’ll be right back to stage 1 next season. Give me guys that are going to stick around. I’m okay with 1 or 2 one-and-dones but our whole team as that just blows. I feel no connection to those guys now. Give me a Nazr, Hays, Prince, Woods, Pelphrey, Brassow, Mashburn, Walker, Padgett, Bogans, Feldhouse, Hanson, etc. etc. etc.
    Let me clarify. I don’t care what you 20-somethings think. You’re morons about basketball and you’re morons about anything. So go tweet hateful stupidity and drink the koolaid on your own time.

• Culver
      2:15 am January 25, 2014 Permalink

Well said! I couldn’t have said it any better. The fact that Polson was MADE to give up his number to that spoiled brat was a sign of things to come. No way should have a 4 year senior, even if he was a walk-on, been made to give up his jersey number to an over-hyped brat right out of high school. I’m with you, I can’t wait until Calipari moves on. Hopefully a NBA team will make him an offer that he can’t refuse after this season. Fingers crossed!

• Ryan
      2:43 am January 25, 2014 Permalink

You guys are idiots. Our program was as low as it’s been since probation and Cal not on revived it but took the college work by storm. Hoping he moves on soon is idiotic. I’m sorry but a walk-on is just that. A walk-on. I don’t care how long he has been there or what number he wears. If the difference between an all-American coming to UK or not is a jersey number I would expect any coach to make that happen. Go cheer for someone else if you dont like the way Cal does it

• Culver
      5:05 am January 25, 2014 Permalink

@Ryan. So if someone comes in and works their tail off for 4 years at the college level, even as a walk-on, their dedication is expendable because some “all-American” high school kid has a title by his name?!! You’re the one that is an idiot. People like you, supporters like you, are the reason “Our program” will be left high & dry when Calipari decides to try his hand at the NBA level again. I just hope he doesn’t do a Sutton on “Our program”.

• dsparklender
      5:36 am January 25, 2014 Permalink

yea,we will never know for sure but I believe if we still had Tubby as our coach our starting guards would be Dominique and Jared! Both of these guys are stand up people no doubt but i dont think if they were our starters we would in line for number 9

• Lexington 3
      9:21 am January 25, 2014 Permalink

At least when a 20-something has a dumb idea they can blame it on age. I am a lot older than that, and I can tell you that you are wrong. You also write comments that are too long.

• Carmine
      11:28 am January 25, 2014 Permalink

I am way older then a 20 something!! And the only thing u wrote that isnt completely wrong is Polson should have played more last year.. The fans here love Anthony Davis, Boogie Cousins, Wall ,MKG and Bledsoe as much as they do Perry Stephenson or Ramon Harris..ALot of the 1 and doners have been beloved by UK fans.

8. Marty
    12:42 am January 25, 2014 Permalink

I’d like to believe you know it’s “sequined” shirt and can blame that one autocorrect something. I’d like to believe that.

9. Matthew
    1:16 am January 25, 2014 Permalink

Saying that the BBN is impatient with WCS’s play is completely ridiculous. Players go through droughts. WE UNDERSTAND THAT. Sure, people wonder why, but to say we’re impatient is completely unfair, and if Willie ever read that, he probably wouldn’t take too kindly to it.

Terrible write-up.

10. Micki DeMoss's Mustache
    1:29 am January 25, 2014 Permalink

There are two types of people in the world. Those who like Neil Diamond, and those who don’t.

11. Jordan
    3:01 am January 25, 2014 Permalink

Willie Calipari-Stein is creepy looking hahaha

12. Policy
    5:46 am January 25, 2014 Permalink

It is just me, or do the women folk O’ Polson look pretty darn hot and Jarrod’s dad looks like a brother to Mark Stoops?

• yea
      8:34 am January 25, 2014 Permalink

it’s just you

13. btowncatfan
    8:15 am January 25, 2014 Permalink

Probably not the best weekend to have recruits from Florida in town.

14. Kyhank
    8:43 am January 25, 2014 Permalink

Sounds like a bunch of I.U fans I love Jared and he should have started last year, however we would have been no better, as for this year it would not be close, so go back to the big red and get off our site !!

15. RobEStacy
    9:01 am January 25, 2014 Permalink

No offense to Polson. But Keith Peel’s jersey should have been retired long before his. I would rank Keith and Paul Bingham above Polson. Paul and Keith spearheaded the Colts team to its first Sweet 16 appearance. It was that team that set the stage and standard for all other Colt teams.

• Jose
      10:08 am January 25, 2014 Permalink

Of course the rest of the state has no idea who those guys are. That’s why Polson gets his number retired.

• Earl
      10:31 am January 25, 2014 Permalink

I played on that Sweet 16 team and agree with you 100%. Unlike Jarrod’s teams, we won the 11th Region and had to beat all of the Lexington teams. Keith Peel hit a game winner at the buzzer to beat Henry Clay, then we beat Lexington Catholic for the third time in the season to win the 11th Region title. The school can change the name to West Jessamine and ignore history but our team set the stage for future teams.

• Earl
      10:37 am January 25, 2014 Permalink

By the way, is our team photo still hanging in the gym above the entrance doors? I assume they took it down and replaced it with Jarrod’s Sweet 16 team photo?

• Carmine
      11:31 am January 25, 2014 Permalink

Hey Earl just look at Jose’s post .. No one knows who those people are and if they arent on the UK roster most people dont care..

• Tammy
      2:07 pm January 25, 2014 Permalink

Carmine: I guess you and Jose haven’t accomplished anything meaningful in your lives. Otherwise you would understand why Earl is not happy.

16. UKELVIS
    9:19 am January 25, 2014 Permalink

Best UK Walk on ever? Polson or Cameron Mills?

I vote Polson

Yes, Mills once scored 31 and hit a couple big shots in 98 but all around game I go with Polson

• Wild Blue
      10:04 am January 25, 2014 Permalink

No disrespect to Jarrod, I love his determination, but I would say Mills. Mills had several D1scholarship offers. He almost signed with Georgia but wanted to be at UK. Mills scored 365 points in 84 games and Polson has 120 in 74 games (source: Kentucky Statistics).

• Bulldawg
      10:56 am January 25, 2014 Permalink

I say it’s Ravi Moss hands down…

17. Jesus
    9:40 am January 25, 2014 Permalink

I really don’t care if Elam announces next week, or next year. I’ve moved on in my fandom. Also, in other news, hell will freeze over before he announces. It’s another publicity scam. I am really starting to hate this kid

18. Kyhank
    10:02 am January 25, 2014 Permalink

Must be an I.U or Loserville Fan hahahahahahah

19. RobCary
    10:47 am January 25, 2014 Permalink

I think the best walk-on in recent years was Ravi Moss.