Neal Brown Shoots Down South Carolina Rumors

(Ben Queen/USA TODAY Sports)

Ben Queen | USA TODAY Sports

Neal Brown is not on his way to the SEC East.

Monday afternoon multiple media members reported the West Virginia head coach and former Kentucky offensive coordinator was a candidate for the head coaching vacancy at South Carolina. Less than 24 hours later, he addressed the matter at his weekly press conference.

“I’m not a candidate there. I really don’t go about addressing every rumor or everything like that that’s out there because I think you’ll spin yourself in a web because I don’t think there’s anyway to keep up. It’s pretty simple: I’m not a candidate there,” he said.

“I guess it’s good because it means people are paying attention, thinking we’re doing something right. I guess it’s positive from that matter,” he said. “Several people told me that yesterday. I haven’t been real active on social media other than promoting my wife on whatever Instagram Live is. I’m trying to figure out what that is.”

A sigh of relief can be heard throughout Appalachia.

Not only are West Virginia fans pleased to see their coach will remain in Morgantown in the midst of a 5-3 season, the Big Blue Nation is happy that there’s still a chance the prodigal son could one day return home. Brown would still make the move to UK from West Virginia, but would he hop from one SEC East school to another? Doubtful. It also keeps Brown from playing Kentucky regularly, with South Carolina success serving as a constant reminder of what the Wildcats could have on the sidelines.

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

18 Comments for Neal Brown Shoots Down South Carolina Rumors

1. Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
    2:06 pm December 1, 2020 Permalink

Should we fire Stoops and go for him now?

• Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
      2:11 pm December 1, 2020 Permalink

I mean he actually turned Troy around in 1 season and had them competing with LSU and Clemson.

• itsfootballtimeinthebluegrass
      2:25 pm December 1, 2020 Permalink

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      7:34 pm December 1, 2020 Permalink

I’m not giving up on Stoops yet, but he has GOT to retool the offense or my patience will run out. He needs to take the cuffs off Gran IMO.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      7:35 pm December 1, 2020 Permalink

Now if Stoops decided to step down, then YES, full bore go after Brown!

2. UKinIN
    2:23 pm December 1, 2020 Permalink

As we know from UK coaching searches, saying you’re not a candidate is not the same as saying you’re staying where you are.

3. ClutchCargo
    2:31 pm December 1, 2020 Permalink

He said the only thing you can say while the season is going on and you haven’t actually been offered the new job yet.

4. bbn606
    2:54 pm December 1, 2020 Permalink

I’m a Neal Brown fan but I don’t think he has proven himself enough at the Power 5 level with a 10-10 record to be considered for our Head Coach yet.

• UKiyaoyas
      3:29 pm December 1, 2020 Permalink

Mark Stoops has a losing record…

• Bluehender
      4:05 pm December 1, 2020 Permalink

…and was never a head coach before taking this job. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

• Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
      6:55 pm December 1, 2020 Permalink

Except he turned Troy around qnd competed with the likes of Clemson and LSU after his 1st season short fall. Kinda like it looks like he’s doing at WVU. So his first season would be rough as he installs his system and starts getting his guys, then his second season will be better. Plus he’d actually be able to recruit an offense.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      7:33 pm December 1, 2020 Permalink

Correct Bluehender, Stoops was never a HC before coming to UK.

• bbn606
      9:27 pm December 1, 2020 Permalink

We would have hired Charles Manson if he was available when we hired Stoops. The situation is a whole lot different now and that is a credit to Stoops but I believe the right coach could take the talent we have here and win big with it.

5. just a guy
    4:34 pm December 1, 2020 Permalink

He’s waiting on the UK job to open next year

6. neat1ky
    6:57 pm December 1, 2020 Permalink

U same idiots on here would be ready to fire him (Brown) after losing a game or 2, sorry this season didn’t play out like we wanted and I like stoops but gran could use an update

7. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    7:23 pm December 1, 2020 Permalink

Give me a break! Why would he go to SC? That’s not a lateral move…it’s a step down! I could see it if SC was his alma mater, or if it was Florida or another upper tier SEC school. It would at least have to be an Auburn IMO.

• antiquefurnitureandmidgets
      7:36 pm December 1, 2020 Permalink

Have looked for any explanation that makes it a better job and have concluded like you that it’s not even an equal job. It’s bizarre to me that anyone thinks otherwise. Unless SC is ready to pony up insane money I can’t see it.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      7:54 pm December 1, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, I could see it if that’s the case, but I can’t see them paying him more than a WVU. If they’re paying insane money, it seems they would go after someone more established. Who knows though?