NCAA tournament without UK, who returns, Politico talk (Monday Show Thread)

On Monday’s edition of Kentucky Sports Radio Radio, Matt Jones and Ryan Lemond will talk about what the NCAA Tournament is like without Kentucky in it, plus predictions for UK’s NBA prospects and Matt weighs in on the Politico piece.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Drew Franklin

100 Comments for NCAA tournament without UK, who returns, Politico talk (Monday Show Thread)

1. Realme
    10:02 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

Yay, Monday.

2. runningunnin.454
    10:07 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

Never thought I’d say this; but, congrats to Malik Newman and Kansas…lol.

• Realme
      10:11 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

Yes. Appreciate what they did for our great nation yesterday.

• RealCatsFan
      10:12 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

My wife and I stooped to the level of rooting for Kansas for ONE game. After this, we are pulling for ‘Nova and then of course Loyola.

BTW – That shot Gayson put up came oh so close to producing disastrous results for the rest of college basketball.

• runningunnin.454
      10:13 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

Oh, Charles Matthews, too…great game.

• jsh2001
      10:24 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

Was it just me, or did Grayson Allen get away with a pretty noticeable hook on the near game winner?

• catsarerunnin
      11:04 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

If Bill Self was the coach here he would be despised much like Tubby.

3. So I was saying “Go Noles!” ever since UK lost since Leonard Hamilton is a former UK assistant and was a big part of our 78 championship. Then he went all Mick Cronin on Dana Jacobsen. Or was it Mick Cronin going all Leonard Hamilton on some guy? πŸ™‚

• ClutchCargo
      11:01 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

I was walking past the TV and not really paying attention when that happened, then I just stopped and looked. Kind of a Billy G. moment, but worse because of his tone of voice.

• RealCatsFan
      11:32 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

I guess that is better than going “John Cheney” on her.

4. RealCatsFan
    10:14 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

Since Matt is talking about the block/charge, can someone put together side-by-side videos of the block and the charge that were called in both of the K-State games?

• runningunnin.454
      10:18 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

Yep, saw that; the KState player moved into and under both players; only one was called right…and it wasn’t for Knox.

• J-Dub421
      11:15 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

Officials screw up the block/charge call about 99.9% of the time.

• runningunnin.454
      11:34 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

But don’t you love their theatrics and choreography, hopping on one leg down the sideline so everybody can see them? Sheesh.
      Fact is most of the time, the play is a block.

5. henderblue
    10:17 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

Wendell Carter was definitely not set. His right foot was sliding across the floor as the offensive player left the floor. The announcers wanted to call it a charge of course. But they were wrong

• runningunnin.454
      10:21 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

And, Duke played the whole 2nd half and a minute in OT, and was called for only 4 fouls. They couldn’t even put Kansas on the line when they wanted to.

• henderblue
      10:29 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

Unbelievable..no not really. It was Duke. That’s why they’re so hated. They get 90% of the calls

• Booby Petrino
      10:37 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

People making a big deal out of that one call aren’t making big deal out of plenty of other missed calls. Allen walked his way to a couple of baskets and never got called, they should’ve been wiped off.

6. J-Dub421
    10:18 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

All that talent at Duke with another top recruiting class and no title. I guess K is a terrible coach and should be fired.

• RealCatsFan
      10:20 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

Ahhh, you have given me the opportunity to post dook’s version of Slater once again… πŸ˜€

β€œCoach K is an idiot. Keep throwing the ball around the perimeter. Forget Bagley. Forget Carter. Forget Allen is in a slump. Forget Duval is a second rate point guard. Duval needs another year before he should start.

Poor coaching. Work the one and dones next year. Fail again. Then retire, coach K. The game has passed you by.

This from a Duke alum that attended Duke when he used to coach. Just a lack of coaching. It gets worse every year, with a bench of assistant coaches that know nothing but what Coach K has taught them. They bring nothing to the table.”

LMAO!!

• Realme
      10:20 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

Yes. Under achiever. Clearly can’t coach.

• runningunnin.454
      10:24 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

That’s hilarious; so, even if you win 5 titles…it’s not enough. Wow, never satisfied.

• RealCatsFan
      10:25 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

Yep, terrible in-game x’s and o’s coach. πŸ˜€

• You mean Coach Nosferatu.

• runningunnin.454
      11:19 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

But, K was certainly out coached yesterday; that zone had a hole in the middle that you could drive a Mack truck through.
      Kind of like their zone in ’78 that Goose Givens totally destroyed.

• CATandMONKEY
      11:35 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

RCF that is genius.
      Scary, actually.

• Yep, Goose ate ’em up in 78. I have no idea why they didn’t change their defense, but I’m glad they didn’t. Maybe Bill Foster hated man to man as much as Cal hates zone.

7. Realme
    10:21 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

I’d rather they finish the food bracket than talk about Matt’s Politico article.

• I guess we now know why he didn’t run for Congress. He had & has his sights set higher.

• DelrayCat
      10:44 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

A better option than running versus Mitch would be for Matt to consider running for Lt. Gov. with Andy Beshear during the 2019 race against Bevin.

• Realme
      10:48 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

He sounds overconfident, but what do I know. Mitch is quite entrenched. We’ve all hated him for many years, but he hasn’t been in danger that I know of.

• I could never vote for Matt, but Mitch sure has done very little, almost nothing, to push through conservative legislation. He helped get Gorsuch confirmed and got the tax cuts through, but not much else. I don’t live there anyway so I don’t have a vote.

• Plus I don’t want to lose KSR. I especially would miss the on site pre and post game shows that are so much fun during conference & NCAA tourneys (except after we lose of course).

• DrSayre
      11:36 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

It will be really interesting to see how Matt does in the election if he does run. I dont think he can win. I think he’s expecting a bump from KSR, like a former basketball player or coach might get (for example, if Cal ran for senator as a Democrat, I think he would probably win), but I dont think Matt will get that.

Also, I dont think the article talking about him being pro-choice will help at all. Everybody knew he was liberal, but I dont think everybody knew he was pro-choice. Personally, it will be hard for me to vote for Matt after seeing that.

• The press would have a field day with the nose whistle.

• Realme
      12:00 pm March 26, 2018 Permalink

LOL, Chris. Agree with you Jay on the abortion point. I am independent and despise both parties equally. That’s the only issue that really matters to me.

• 8 god
      1:55 pm March 26, 2018 Permalink

I’m glad you care more about what young women do with their uterus than, say, poverty and war. I’m sure such a mentality provides you with a happy, spiritually sound life.

• chimichanga
      2:53 pm March 26, 2018 Permalink

^^ Seriously. Potential nuclear war, staggering debt, self-defeating trade wars, election hacking, coal jobs going extinct with no future plan…

…But abortion lip service is your one and only issue. This is why Kentucky is stuck with self-serving career politicians. Stupidest state this side of Tennessee.

• DrSayre
      3:51 pm March 26, 2018 Permalink

Personally, I think the murder of ~1M babies is a very serious issue that deserves more attention. If you dont think its that important, than I guess we can just disagree on that.

8. RealCatsFan
    10:25 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

Jay Wright is a MUCH more likable coach than that old curmudgeon Calhoun was.

9. RealCatsFan
    10:31 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

Totally agree with Matt that the block/charge call needs to go away – put the onus on the defender to actually play defense. But if you are going to do that, then you also have to stop calling the foul on the defender when he is standing there with his arms up and the offensive player initiates the contact. That’s another BS call that is constantly made.

• meeksfor3
      3:32 pm March 26, 2018 Permalink

Or the defender stands straight up and the shooter jumps sideways into him and shoots and the ref calls a foul.

10. runningunnin.454
    10:35 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

Some knucklehead wants to get rid of Cal and hire the Loyola coach…wow. He had losing records in his conference the two years before this one. So, if you want a conference run every 4 years, and a national run every, what…10 years…???
    Best thing to happen to the Loyola coach was that Wichita State left the MVC.

• RealCatsFan
      10:52 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

I like Loyola’s coach, but doubt if he would even be interested in being in the big fishbowl that is UK Basketball. It takes a special type of coach to handle that job. Not just coaching, but managing all the rest of the job.

11. symphonist41169
    10:42 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

It was sickening to hear the announcers breathlessly hoping, PRAYING that it would be a charge. If Coach Dracula ever comes to a sudden stop every announcer on CBS and ESPN will need to have their heads surgically removed from his ass.

• RealCatsFan
      10:47 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

Yeah, it’s another example of the bias towards dook and UNCheat. Hell, half the staff at ESPN and the other networks are alumni of one or the other. Wish we could get Tony Delk or another ex-Cat on the staff.

12. RealCatsFan
    10:45 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

Seeing Newman dominate in that Kansas/Dook game makes me wonder what kind of impact he could have had at UK. But of course, if he comes then we probably don’t get Tyler Ulis, right?

• Realme
      10:47 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

It was that guy who went overseas that Cal replaced with Ulis. Forget his name.

• RealCatsFan
      10:51 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

OK, so then it would have been Jamaal Murray that we brought in to play in place of Newman.

• Realme
      10:56 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

Yeah that sounds right. Had he gone here, Newman would probably went to the draft instead of transferring, so we wouldn’t have seen this (junior?) version of him.

• Jiminy Crickets
      11:15 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

Mudiay

• runningunnin.454
      11:06 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

I don’t know; and, I don’t know what happened with Newman at Miss State; but, he was the man yesterday…Duke couldn’t cover him.

• ClutchCargo
      11:06 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

Newman was nowhere near ready for a place like UK coming out of high school. He would have just washed out like he did at MSU.

• Realme
      11:24 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

I’m not saying I think he would have been a lottery pick. I just think Cal would have kept him in line, and he seems like one of those guys that came in intending to leave after 1 year. Pure speculation on my part.

• Realme
      11:26 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

Yeah, Mudiay. What ever happened with him? Is he in the NBA now?

• Jiminy Crickets
      11:44 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

He is

• Jiminy Crickets
      11:45 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

The knicks maybe

• J-Dub421
      11:48 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

Mudiay was drafted by Denver, never really did anything, got traded to the Knicks, and already lost the starting job there to Trey Burke. He’s already on the trade block again, and will likely wash out of the league soon.

13. Jiminy Crickets
    10:52 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

Duke only had 4 fouls the entire 2nd half AND Overtime. Every time bagley jumped o ER someone’s back to get a rebound, they called the foul on the guy he jumped over. Allen hooked his guy to get the last shot off, no call.

I hate those guys, more than I hate Louisville. Growing up I never that could be possible

• RealCatsFan
      10:54 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

I have to agree with you. Dook is like the arrogant rich kid that is used to getting his way, and the teachers always give him a pass because his daddy is high up in government.

• meeksfor3
      3:35 pm March 26, 2018 Permalink

Calling the Kansas player for being out of bounds when he was 6-8 inches from the baseline was laughable but Grant Hill saying the ref must have saw something the camera didn’t show was even more ridiculous.

14. RealCatsFan
    10:55 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

If Matt runs for office, he absolutely NEEDS to have Ryan doing his McConnell impersonation for his ads. πŸ˜€

15. RealCatsFan
    10:59 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

“Unless they offer him a head job”? Really, Matt? I thought they were supposed to be cleaning things up at University-6. πŸ˜€

• ClutchCargo
      11:08 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

Because that’s how deals get done there!

• runningunnin.454
      11:20 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

Can’t listen…what’s this about?

• RealCatsFan
      11:27 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

rg, Matt was talking about whether Kenny Payne should take an assistant coach position at UofL if offered to him. Right as they were going to commercial break, Matt said that “only if they offer him a head job, should he go to UofL”, or something very similar. πŸ™‚

• runningunnin.454
      11:37 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

Heeee Haaaaw.

16. RealCatsFan
    11:11 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

I think if there is a player that we needed this year, it was a consistent 3-point threat. We didn’t have anyone who we could absolutely count on to knock down a 3 when we need it. Maybe Baker would have been that guy. Guess we’ll find out next year.

• J-Dub421
      11:23 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

We will be guard rich next year.

• Jiminy Crickets
      11:35 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

Guard rich? Please explain. Green is ok, but is small and not that fast, jump shot is good not great. Baker is coming off season ending knee surgery.
      Everyone is convinced herro is the savior, but we’ve had a ton of white boy, great shooters, and none could play defense well enough to stay on floor (Hood, Wiltjer, Willis).
      I think Johnson is a stud, but he’s replacing Knox, so it’s almost a wash. If Quickley is good he’s basically replacing Shai.
      So we’re basically praying either herro or baker are better than Diallo

• runningunnin.454
      11:42 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

I wish we could leave race out of it. There were some racial remarks over the weekend about Tubby…I just don’t see it advances the dialogue.
      And, did you ever see Rex Chapman play? Travis Ford? Louie Dampier?

• Jiminy Crickets
      11:53 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

Not in the Cal era I didn’t. I grew up a Rex chapman fan. I met him when I was 17 at Churchill downs, he was there with rick Pitino actually, they had a co-ownership for a derby contender.
      Don’t challenge my fan hood sir

• runningunnin.454
      11:58 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

I didn’t; I said leave race out of it. And, nothing was said about any era.
      Oh, and I left out Patrick Sparks.
      Personally I never saw Ralph Beard;but, growing up, the older folks said he was faster than greased lightening.

• J-Dub421
      11:59 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

Green, Quickley, Herro, Baker, Johnson. That’s five good guards, so yes, guard rich. Just because you’re super negative and want to sell them all short doesn’t mean that I do the same.

• I don’t think he’s questioning your fan hood. He just said “I just don’t see it advances the dialogue.” Granted, none of us know for sure how good these guys will be, but that’s true regardless of position, their race, whatever.

• J-Dub421
      12:00 pm March 26, 2018 Permalink

Also, Willis had plenty of athleticism. He just lacked work ethic, and that’s on him.

17. RealCatsFan
    11:12 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

Yep, it’s past time to put Tubby’s jersey in the rafters. (And some would argue that you take Pitino’s down while you are up there. πŸ˜‰ )

• DrSayre
      11:23 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

I agree. They didnt have a 1998 reunion did they this season like the 1978 team right? Lets have High Point play in Rupp this fall, bring back the 98 team, and put Tubby’s banner in the rafters!

• J-Dub421
      11:25 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

Tubby will eventually get a jersey retired for him. There are certain rules in place as to why it hasn’t happened yet. He was elected into the KY Hall of Fame a couple of years ago, and I think he’s eligible for jersey retirement 5 years after that happened, so it should happen soon.

• DrSayre
      11:27 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

I think he was inducted in 2013, so next season he should be eligible for the banner.

18. Jiminy Crickets
    11:19 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

There’s a reason UK hasn’t put Tubby’s name in rafters. No one wants to admit it, but there’s a real reason. Tubby back stabbed UK administration, but let’s pretend that didn’t happen and just keep calling him a good guy. Maybe he can find that fax we sent him

• Jiminy Crickets
      12:00 pm March 26, 2018 Permalink

My stated “reason” for tubby not in rafters has NOTHING to do with race. There were UK boosters pressuring UK administration to hire Tubby. UK admin went to him and Offeted their support, and Tubby assured them he was committed. But it was later revealed Tubby was in verbal negotiations with Minnesota WHILE coaching UK in the SEC tournament. Tubby will get his name in rafters when Barnhart leaves.

• DrSayre
      12:15 pm March 26, 2018 Permalink

I hadn’t heard this… but I thought everything worked out pretty well for both parties from what I can remember. Tubby had probably pasted his prime and had a hard time recruiting, but was still winning enough that UK couldnt really fire him, but I think it was time to move on. UK didnt have to fire him, and Tubby got $1M instead of any buyout (I dont know how much it would’ve been to buyout his contract at the time). The only bad thing is we hired Billy Gillispie a few weeks later lol

19. RealCatsFan
    11:25 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

So, is the Stormy Daniels fiasco going to surpass the circus that was Clinton/Lewinsky?

• Jiminy Crickets
      11:49 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

Shouldn’t. Clinton happen while president, and occurred in the white hours, and he lied to congress.
      Trump hooked up with a hooker 12 years ago, and denies it to his wife.

• Jiminy Crickets
      12:00 pm March 26, 2018 Permalink

White House

• Jiminy Crickets
      12:04 pm March 26, 2018 Permalink

If you really believe UK knew he was leaving, and scrambled to find a HC to the point we offered 3 different guys the job before settling on Billy Clyde, your wrong. Barnhart is loyal to a fault, and tubby lied to him. End of story

• J-Dub421
      12:03 pm March 26, 2018 Permalink

Trump has repeatedly lied about the affair (and everything else, but that’s for another discussion), he also paid to keep Daniels quiet, and that happened during his campaign. The affair isn’t the problem here, the cover-up is.

• chimichanga
      2:59 pm March 26, 2018 Permalink

Nah, no one will care.

I don’t think anyone expects Trump to act better than a dishonorable piece of sh!t. Even Melania is like “meh, tell me something I don’t know.”

20. SanDiegoCats
    11:29 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

Has show talked about who might be returning next season?

• Realme
      11:53 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

Just the basic “everyone will declare and get the feedback, but it’s hard to say who will stay in the draft” answer I think.

21. Laker Cat 18
    11:30 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

I’ve thought about this a couple times since…I wonder who Rick Pitino cheers for in a Kentucky vs. Louisville match-up these days?

22. CATandMONKEY
    11:39 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

Ryan-as-Mitch never gets old.

23. RealCatsFan
    11:43 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

So some are saying that dook players’ draft stock takes a hit because all they know how to play is zone? So why the hell are all these top players going there? Duffel-brotherhood?

• J-Dub421
      12:05 pm March 26, 2018 Permalink

Kentucky players do better in the NBA than any other program’s players, and that includes Duke. The proof is in the pudding.