The NCAA Board of Governors announced this morning that it will be expanding its Confederate flag policy to prevent any NCAA championship events from being played in states where the symbol has a prominent presence.

In a statement released this morning, the NCAA condemned symbols or acts of discrimination and oppression.

“There is no place in college athletics or the world for symbols or acts of discrimination and oppression,” said Michael V. Drake, chair of the board and president of the Ohio State University. “We must continually evaluate ways to protect and enhance the championship experience for college athletes. Expanding the Confederate flag policy to all championships is an important step by the NCAA to further provide a quality experience for all participants and fans.”

Prior to today’s announcement, the Association’s previous policy barred states that displayed the Confederate flag from being awarded championship sites in advance. However, if a college or university team earned the right to host a championship game based on its tournament seeding or ranking — considered a non-predetermined award — the team could host on its college campus or in its home territory.

Mississippi is the only state currently affected by the NCAA’s policy.

The NCAA Confederate flag policy was originally implemented in 2001 by the NCAA Executive Committee (now the Board of Governors) due to the flag’s prominence in various states.

“Competing in an NCAA championship is a special experience for college athletes who compete at the highest level and we are grateful for the college athlete voice leading to this decision,” said Mark Emmert, NCAA president. “We must do all we can to ensure that NCAA actions reflect our commitment to inclusion and support all our student-athletes. There can be no place within college sports where any student-athlete is demeaned or unwelcome.”

The Executive Committee reviewed the policy in 2014, per a request by the NCAA Minority Opportunities and Interests Committee.  The policy remained unchanged, which allowed schools competing in sports such as baseball, softball, lacrosse and later women’s basketball the opportunity to host preliminary non-determined championship events in their home state, which included Mississippi. That will no longer be allowed under the expanded flag policy.

The NCAA requires city and state officials bidding on its tournaments to indicate how it expects the events to be safe, accessible, respectful and welcome to all. The NCAA hosts 90 championships in 24 sports every year.

On Thursday, the SEC requested Mississippi change its state flag, which prominently features the Confederate symbol.

“It is past time for change to be made to the flag of the State of Mississippi,” said SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey. “Our students deserve an opportunity to learn and compete in environments that are inclusive and welcoming to all.

“In the event there is no change, there will be consideration of precluding Southeastern Conference championship events from being conducted in the State of Mississippi until the state flag is changed.”

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

48 Comments for NCAA bans championship events from being played in states where Confederate flag has prominent presence

1. WatchutalkinboutWillis
    11:54 am June 19, 2020 Permalink

I’m against racism. I’m also for state’s rights and freedom of speech/expression. Our nation is walking a fine line and I believe crossing it.

• ClutchCargo
      12:09 pm June 19, 2020 Permalink

A non-profit corporation choosing where to allow its championship events to be held really has nothing to do with states’ rights and freedom of speech.

• JTHinton
      12:39 pm June 19, 2020 Permalink

NCAA is non-profit?

• ClutchCargo
      1:31 pm June 19, 2020 Permalink

It sure is, much like several professional sports leagues. Don’t confuse non-profit with charitable, though.

• WatchutalkinboutWillis
      4:05 pm June 19, 2020 Permalink

Nothing to do with it? Or not directly? Surely you can’t believe that it has NOTHING to do with state’s rights and freedom of speech.

• JerryCat
      4:24 pm June 19, 2020 Permalink

Nothing to do with it. States rights and freedom of speech are protections from the federal government. The NCAA, which is not the federal govt. can do business with whichever states it pleases and denounce any speech that it disagrees with.

• ClutchCargo
      4:52 pm June 19, 2020 Permalink

^ What JerryCat said.

• ClutchCargo
      4:59 pm June 19, 2020 Permalink

The NCAA saying it won’t hold championship events in MS unless they change their flag is no different (in terms of states’ rights and 1st Amendment) than you or me saying we won’t vacation in that state unless they change their flag. MS is free to tell the NCAA to go fuk themselves if they don’t want to do it, and the NCAA is free to hold their events wherever they choose.

2. bbn606
    12:07 pm June 19, 2020 Permalink

It’s not like any championship events was going to Mississippi anyway.

• Ned T.
      12:11 pm June 19, 2020 Permalink

Best comment of the day 🙂

• Corder
      1:14 pm June 19, 2020 Permalink

Exactly. Just like when the SEC said they weren’t going to Mississippi. Well football and basketball would never have one there so unless they really care about all the other snapper sports that don’t bring in the money that those do whats it matter. Quit bending the knee to all these people. They will never stop asking for things.

3. Ned T.
    12:10 pm June 19, 2020 Permalink

Good lord, this is becoming dangerous. What is happening ot the US and its Constitution?

As a practical matter, I personally am done with the NFL, the NCAA, or any organization that makes race its most important issue. Do these nimrods not know that they are shooting themselves in the foot by bellying up to a criminal organization like BLM?

I did not vote for Trump in 2016, but you bet damn well I am in 2020. This has become a lynch mob against any white culture.

• JerryCat
      12:19 pm June 19, 2020 Permalink

Hahahahaha, the NFL or NCAA won’t miss you at all

• dukeisking
      12:36 pm June 19, 2020 Permalink

It’s EVERYBODY VS RACISM!!! I assume you are on the racism side.. show your true colors!! ??

• Han
      12:38 pm June 19, 2020 Permalink

You just said that the Confederate Flag is white culture.

You said it.

You’ve proven the other side’s point and are too racist to realize it.

• Corder
      1:18 pm June 19, 2020 Permalink

Spin it what ever way you want but you spout off about equality, compassion and understanding yet completely tear someone else down becasue you don’t agree with their views on things. How pathetic some of you holier then thou people are. No minds of your own follow the crowd stand for nothing cowards. Good luck in the real world.

• rockyou
      12:47 pm June 19, 2020 Permalink

Ned T, don’t let these bleeding hearts bully you, I stand with you, as do MANY others. Your opinion is just as good as theirs, you must have hurt their poor little feelings. Bless their hearts

• MississippiBlue
      1:48 pm June 19, 2020 Permalink

A lynch mob against white culture? From my understanding these protest have been largely against police brutality and systematic racism. If that’s the case, are you insinuating white culture is systematic racism? If so, I’m highly against that statement. If not please expound.

• JerryCat
      1:57 pm June 19, 2020 Permalink

It’s funny when these idiots inadvertently take their mask off

• 4everUKBlue
      5:01 pm June 19, 2020 Permalink

Oh so dukeisking was MIA on the Zion story but she shows her face here and chimes in like she’s one of us? What POS.

• satcheluk
      12:04 pm June 21, 2020 Permalink

Racist

4. Ned T.
    12:22 pm June 19, 2020 Permalink

@JerryCat: they will miss my money, thoug, and the millions who are like me. Thanks for playing, and go sit in the corner and try to matter.

5. JerryCat
    12:24 pm June 19, 2020 Permalink

I assure you the NFL or NCAA won’t Those “like you” are a dying breed.

6. JerryCat
    12:32 pm June 19, 2020 Permalink

@Ned One more thing. Time For you to log off this Kentucky site. If you no longer follow the NCAA, you are no longer a cat fan and I am honored to no longer share a fan base with you

• KYhammer
      1:39 pm June 19, 2020 Permalink

Underrated comment

• satcheluk
      12:07 pm June 21, 2020 Permalink

Agreed. The headrest part of being a UK fan is sharing something in common with the racists who are a part of our fandom. If we make it uncomfortable enough for them, maybe they will quit.

7. BigTimeOwen
    12:40 pm June 19, 2020 Permalink

ITT: people who talk about the Constitution but actually have no idea what it says or what it applies to

8. UKFanSC
    12:45 pm June 19, 2020 Permalink

Somehow 13% of the population has hijacked a nation…..and did it with felonious criminals as it’s centerpieces…… AND made the other 87% plead guilty in the process, even though most have never exhibited a shred of racist behavior in their lives.
    A hundred years from now historians ( well assuming history even exists then) will record 2020 as the end of the America our Founding Fathers created…..and the beginning of socialism. The nation is so badly broken I’m not sure it can be mended.

• 4everUKBlue
      5:04 pm June 19, 2020 Permalink

This nation is being run as a corporation, the leaders working as corporate employees who do not serve the corporation and not the people. They have no interest whatsoever in what’s best for the people.

• satcheluk
      12:12 pm June 21, 2020 Permalink

Here let me fix it for you: a majority of the majority has finally gotten fed up with the racist minority (of the majority) and has invited the 13% to join us at the table and given a loud and sometimes violent rebuke to the fools who continue to fight this progress. If you don’t like the suppression of racism, then it is in your best interest to remain silent and die a closer racist because your kind are no longer welcome to overt with your bigotry.

9. UKsuperdave
    1:17 pm June 19, 2020 Permalink

What! Noooooo! How will I ever learn my history? How will I ever learn not to enslave a race of people to profit off of? What am I to do? On top of that all of my southern pride will now be gone. Without that flag from 18?? how can I ever now about southern pride. When I see the confederate flag all I think about is my southern roots, four wheelin, apple pie and iced tea . LOL Ha Ha Ha!!! Is this the future? What am I to do.

• Corder
      1:22 pm June 19, 2020 Permalink

Aww little guy, don’t know your history so you spout out everything somebody else has told you or you over heard from your safe space. How sad is it that you want people to stand with you and preach equality but totally dismiss everything else in this world that isn’t your view or you don’t understand. Good luck with that way of thinking.

• 4everUKBlue
      5:07 pm June 19, 2020 Permalink

Very cute dave.

10. dhard
    1:24 pm June 19, 2020 Permalink

Different day, same Schiff. Good grief this is out of control.

11. UKsuperdave
    2:11 pm June 19, 2020 Permalink

Professor Corder, what part of history did I get wrong? I’m not very smart. I grew up in a small town of 2000 people (1999 whites). I came up in the south around hunting, fishing, frog gigging, four wheelin and a lot of southern racism. It didn’t matter if you flew the flag or said the n word, everyone was white. I still have lots of good friends that share your point of view. Almost all of them. But I have managed to do exactly what you are saying I dismiss. I am trying to understand from a black persons point of view what I don’t understand. If you where black how would you feel about the flag? Please enlighten me on history and other views I don’t understand. I think I got the white small town boy perspective covered though. I’ve just managed to do my own thinking instead of “spouting out everything somebody else has told you”. Good luck with your way of thinking too!

• satcheluk
      12:22 pm June 21, 2020 Permalink

Thank you for evolving Dave. Not everyone can overcome their nurture. I too have shed a family history of bigotry. I brought some of my family with me and left the rest behind.

• satcheluk
      12:27 pm June 21, 2020 Permalink

Not that your family was necessarily racist, as I don’t know you, but rather the environment from whence you came.

12. kjd
    2:40 pm June 19, 2020 Permalink

?

• UKFanSC
      6:51 pm June 19, 2020 Permalink

Exactly

13. chessplayer1974
    7:23 pm June 19, 2020 Permalink

White quilt strikes again

14. crazycatfan65
    8:07 pm June 19, 2020 Permalink

EVERY RACE has been a slave at some point in history. Whites DID NOT START BLACKS INTO SLAVERY. BLACK SLAVERY WAS STARTED IN AFRICA BY AFRICAN KINGS AND MERCHANTS. Slavery in Africa was a tradition for hundreds of years BEFORE they ever saw the first white man. !440-1640 African slave traders traded their captured slaves to the Portuguese for gold, horses and firmware.Brutal black on black slavery was common in Africa for thousands of years, just like the brutal black on black crimes of today. Muslims were the worst slave traders of all. The had the monopoly on the African slave trade for centuries. Less then 5% of slaves traveled to North America, the majority were shipped to Brazil, the Caribbean and the Spanish Empire.By 1500, 81,000 African slaves were traded to Europe, nearby Atlantic islands and to Muslim merchants in Africa.
    There was a very small market for African slaves as domestic workers in Europe and workers on the sugar plantations of the Mediterranean. However, the Portuguese found they could make considerable amounts of gold transporting slaves from one trading post to another, along the Atlantic coast of Africa. Muslim merchants had an insatiable appetite for slaves, which were used as porters on the trans-Saharan routes and for sale in the Islamic Empire.

• TPACAT
      8:23 am June 20, 2020 Permalink

There you go with those stubborn facts again, ccf65…

• satcheluk
      12:22 pm June 21, 2020 Permalink

Racist

15. MississippiBlue
    10:15 pm June 19, 2020 Permalink

I grew up in Mississippi, and I have a lot of love for that state. However, the state flag is both decisive and counterproductive to economic and constitutional growth of the state. Our state leaders don’t believe in progress or growth, which is why we’ve continued to stay towards the bottom of most US statistics.

• satcheluk
      12:23 pm June 21, 2020 Permalink

Pragmatic comment

16. dukeisking
    12:07 pm June 20, 2020 Permalink

Racists don’t want history erased because of their white supremacy that was inflicted. You are COWARDS for hiding behind that LOSER CONFEDERATE FLAG!!! ????

• satcheluk
      12:25 pm June 21, 2020 Permalink

I find it hard to agree with someone with that handle, but I’ll suppress my initial bias to do what is right. See, that’s not so difficult. 😉

• 4everUKBlue
      7:21 am June 22, 2020 Permalink

Ignorance is a sad thing that can be overcome, you two are perfect for each other.