NBA debuts, scouting Mizzou and Halloween (Thursday Show Thread)

Tune in to KSR this morning to hear all about the Wildcat dominance in the NBA last night. The guys will also talk about the big game in Columbia and Halloween weekend.

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

affiliate-list

Article written by Drew Franklin

45 Comments for NBA debuts, scouting Mizzou and Halloween (Thursday Show Thread)

1. secrick
    10:09 am October 27, 2016 Permalink

Is Anthony Davis the best player that ever played at UK? I think he might be.

• Realme
      10:14 am October 27, 2016 Permalink

He’d have to be. Oscar says so. Glad he’s back to full strength again.

• J-Dub421
      10:15 am October 27, 2016 Permalink

For now, until KAT challenges him for that title…. 🙂

• Realme
      10:24 am October 27, 2016 Permalink

That’s okay to me, I like Karl better as a person.

• J-Dub421
      10:29 am October 27, 2016 Permalink

They’re both good dudes who do a lot of charity work. You can’t go wrong with AD or KAT.

• RealCatsFan
      10:44 am October 27, 2016 Permalink

Karl has an easy going personality and is extremely intelligent, so it’s hard not to like him, but AD is a good dude too. He obviously does not take himself too seriously, as evidenced by him embracing the whole unibrow thing.

• Realme
      10:52 am October 27, 2016 Permalink

Yeah I just associate him with standing in line to pay 50 bucks for his autograph to complete our championship poster and him not once looking at us or saying hello. Too busy talking to his people to even acknowledge us standing in front of him.

• RealCatsFan
      10:57 am October 27, 2016 Permalink

Pretty much all of them charge for autographs. We were running late and my daughter literally sprinted into the store where AD was signing autographs. They were closing up and AD had actually walked away from the table, and the people working there told my kid sorry, too late. But AD stepped back to the table and said no problem and signed her poster and posed for a picture when he could have just walked away, so I guess he is OK in my book.

• Realme
      11:01 am October 27, 2016 Permalink

We paid for five guys and Darius Miller was free because Kroger paid him. AD was by far the highest $ and I feel like paying for an autograph and waiting in line for an hour or two entitles one to eye contact or a hello or something. The other guys were great, I feel like I actually met them. Although Doron seemed half asleep of course.

2. Realme
    10:22 am October 27, 2016 Permalink

That show he’s talking about was really dramatic with the narration and slow-mo, but the sideline and locker room stuff was great. Seeing Stoops interact with his guys could probably help Darryl decide to like him again.

It also got to the point where we’re down one and about to make the last drive, and the narrator said something like “Has Ky finally started to earn the respect they deserve?” and showed a montage of Dorian Baker dropping balls in the endzone. Then you know it was a happy ending.

3. secrick
    10:30 am October 27, 2016 Permalink

I believe Stoops is the man, we may not win Sat. but i think this team is so young and anything can happen on the road. Two years from now we will be saying i hope Stoops doesn’t go to that school and stays with us and Chester will be Darryls daddy.

• J-Dub421
      10:32 am October 27, 2016 Permalink

Missouri gave up 51 points to MTSU, and lost 2 of their best defenders in the process. Even if our offenses are relatively evenly matched, I think our defense is better and will make the difference.

• ukjaybrat
      10:38 am October 27, 2016 Permalink

exactly, as good as missouri’s offense is, my grandma could score on their defense. Our runningbacks will have a field day this weekend. it will make no difference this game is on the road. think their fans are going to show up to a noon game against kentucky ?

• Laker Cat 18
      10:40 am October 27, 2016 Permalink

Every time I expect a high scoring affair, it ends up being a defensive battle. I’ll bet neither team breaks 20 Saturday.

• J-Dub421
      10:52 am October 27, 2016 Permalink

Our offensive line has been pretty darned good lately too.

Also the game is at noon our time, Missouri is an hour behind us and the game starts at 11:00am central. Combine that with their abysmal loss to MTSU last weekend, and their 2-5 record, and no I don’t think their fans will show up much this weekend.

• Chesters Daddy
      11:03 am October 27, 2016 Permalink

Never

4. Laker Cat 18
    10:38 am October 27, 2016 Permalink

Out of the 10 NBA games last night, former UK guys were labeled as “top performers” in 5 of them. That’s pretty cool.

5. RealCatsFan
    10:41 am October 27, 2016 Permalink

If there is any coach in college BB that I am ready to see move on down the road, it is Coach Buy-A-Vowel. He annoys me to no end.

• J-Dub421
      11:01 am October 27, 2016 Permalink

Get out your wooden stakes and holy water and we can make it happen. (j/k) 😉

• ukjaybrat
      11:02 am October 27, 2016 Permalink

you say you’re j/k… but are you really ?

• J-Dub421
      11:06 am October 27, 2016 Permalink

I wouldn’t murder someone, just making a Coach K is a vampire joke. 🙂

6. Not Dan Issel
    10:44 am October 27, 2016 Permalink

Do you mean best player while at UK, or best player from UK to ever play in NBA? I’ve watched every UK star since Cotton Nash, and Issel (imho) has to still be considered the best player while at UK. His stats speak for themselves.

AD may very well turn out to be the best pro from UK, but don’t forget the 15 yr career Issel had (5 ABA, 10 NBA) with career averages of 22.6 its, 9.1 rebounds, and career shooting averages of 50% fg and 79% ft. One plus for Issel is that he was extremely durable and missed very few games, something AD has yet to prove he can do.

• RealCatsFan
      10:46 am October 27, 2016 Permalink

Gotta say you make an excellent point. Unfortunately few of the folks posting on here were lucky enough to see him play.

• secrick
      10:55 am October 27, 2016 Permalink

Oh yes i agree with you , i was just saying if AD had stayed for all 4 years i believe he would have been the best, but he didn’t.

• Realme
      10:55 am October 27, 2016 Permalink

I’m still going with Oscar. It’s a different game now, how would Issel fare if dropped into 2016?

7. Realme
    11:11 am October 27, 2016 Permalink

I wish you could see when you get any likes on your own comment. I like tons of you guys’ comments, and you never know unless it gets 5 and goes bold.

• J-Dub421
      11:15 am October 27, 2016 Permalink

I do the same. 🙂

• ukjaybrat
      11:18 am October 27, 2016 Permalink

If you log out, you can see. then log back in. i only know because whenever i log into a different computer or my phone, it logs me out of the other.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:26 am October 27, 2016 Permalink

I’ll be honest, there are times I see comments with 4 likes I don’t even agree with, but I like it anyway just to see it go bold. If you get 4, you deserve 5 in my opinion.

• Realme
      11:34 am October 27, 2016 Permalink

We should all pick one really dumb comment a day and just like the heck out of it.

• Chesters Daddy
      11:46 am October 27, 2016 Permalink

I do the same

8. J-Dub421
    11:16 am October 27, 2016 Permalink

Bobby Knight is human garbage.

9. J-Dub421
    11:21 am October 27, 2016 Permalink

I think Petty is foolish to not at least take an official visit to UK. Know what you’re getting into/passing up. Also, do you really want to be Avery Johnson’s guinea pig? Johnson is unproven at the college level. If it was me, I would go with a guy with a very proven track record (Cal). You’re setting up your entire future after all.

• Realme
      11:25 am October 27, 2016 Permalink

Did he not see how a few other elite players’ college year went when they chose to be the only really good player on a lesser SEC team? I do want the rest of the teams in the conference to recruit better though.

• ukjaybrat
      11:30 am October 27, 2016 Permalink

i hear stories where a lot of times the other coach (johnson in this case) says look, if you don’t visit school X (uk in this case) and commit to us right now, we can give you this this and that (whether that is more playing time, guaranteed starting position, a few perks on the side, or whatever else).

and then they just take the offer. for one, it still makes me laugh that people think cal cheats because if so, he is the worst cheater in all of sports. that being said, realme is right, how often does it work out for good/great players to stay in their home schools?

• J-Dub421
      11:30 am October 27, 2016 Permalink

See Newman, Malik.

• J-Dub421
      11:37 am October 27, 2016 Permalink

Or Ben Simmons. Yeah, he was drafted first, but LSU lost a bunch of games, didn’t make the NCAA tournament, and he didn’t really develop at all during his one year in college.

It’s not just that Cal puts guys in the NBA, it’s that they’re ready to go when they get there. Duke and Kansas get the same level of talent over the last several years that we get, but their players don’t do as well in the league overall. There is a reason for this.

• Sentient Third Eye
      11:45 am October 27, 2016 Permalink

Results show four distinct tiers of success at getting kids ready to succeed in the NBA: UK, then Duke, then Kansas, then everyone else. To be honest, I wince when a kid like Newman or Simmons goes to school that cannot prepare them. I would almost rather them go to Duke or Kansas instead, even though it creates a tougher rival for us in the tourney. I just hate to see talented kids shoot themselves in the foot like that.

10. kentuckybobby
    11:59 am October 27, 2016 Permalink

to the only 3 people who type on here: Quit crying about someone who doesnt want to go to UK. Who gives a rats ass? Its their life, would hate to be your kids. Also sounds like some awesome “kentucky” fans calling in lolololol

• J-Dub421
      12:01 pm October 27, 2016 Permalink

No one is crying about anything. We’re simply having a discussion. Perhaps you’ll try it sometime when you grow up.

• ukjaybrat
      12:07 pm October 27, 2016 Permalink

i have no problem with the kid going where he wants to go. in fact i encourage it. i am just saying (and many people agree) that it isn’t the best career choice based on the same decisions many people before have made.

But your just an idiot troll, why do i even bother?

• secrick
      12:07 pm October 27, 2016 Permalink

Kiss my ass KENTUCKYBOBBY. quit crying about us crying cause your crying on as KY site but with the slim you have coaching your team i don’t blame you. Glad to have you with us.

• Realme
      12:22 pm October 27, 2016 Permalink

If we annoy you, there’s no reason to read our comments. Or even show up here.

• runningunnin.454
      1:39 pm October 27, 2016 Permalink

No crying here; but Bama doesn’t care about basketball. Does he know he’ll be playing in half empty arena?

11. UKFaninNY
    12:37 pm October 27, 2016 Permalink

What’s more shocking?

Davis’s line or Andrew Harrison playing 38 minutes?