National Junk Food Day’s Tuesday Morning Wakeup

HAPPY NATIONAL JUNK FOOD DAY!!!!!!

Oh you didn’t know? How did you not know? I circle this one on the calendar as soon as I buy my 365 Adorable Puppies desk calendar every year. I tear off the shrink wrap, flip right to July 21 and draw the biggest Twinkie I can, right on top of that cute little French Bulldog. It’s one of the best days of the year and I can’t believe you didn’t know about it. You should be ashamed.

Anyway, today I’m going to celebrate by going to Taco Bell for breakfast, lunch, dinner and possibly Fourth Meal. What do you plan to do now that you know it’s National Junk Food Day?

Tell me in the comments section. Then cheat on that diet! That diet you always cheat on!

Let’s talk healthier stuff…

Jamal Murray’s first game with Team Canada is tonight.

Murray and the Canadians will take on the Dominican Republic in their first game at the Pan Am Games in Toronto. That game will stream live online tonight at 6:00 pm, I think. We’ll have the details for you later today once I put a little more effort into figuring out all the details.

Murray is expected to play big minutes for Canada but it’s unlike he will be in the starting rotation. Either way, go Jamal!

Kyle Wiltjer, too!

The NBA Summer League is over, finally.

After what felt like games everyday for the past two months, the 2015 NBA Summer League is no more. Now we sit around and watch the newswire to see which hopefuls receive invites to training camp in September.

Scroll down to check out my recap, in case you missed it last night.

And good luck to the Cats on the edge in the weeks to come.

Jon Rothstein of CBSSports.com called Charles Matthews a potential “glue guy” for UK.

While answering questions on Twitter last night, Rothstein said the staff has been every impressed by Matthews.

“Could be what they need — Glue Guy,” he wrote.

It appears Za’Darius Smith will be featured on The Agent.

The new 10-part documentary series on the Esquire Network follows the agents of ProSource Sports, beginning in September of last year through the 2015 NFL Draft. Smith is represented by ProSource and the new trailer for the show suggests he will be included:

The Agent premieres on August 11 on the Esquire Network. I had no idea there was an Esquire Network until last night. It used to be the Style Network, apparently. I’ve gotta get out more.

Do yourself a solid and watch Mr. Robot on USA.

As True Detective and Ballers continue to disappoint over on HBO (Ballers is awful), USA’s Mr. Robot is the best new thing going on TV right now. It’s only three episodes in so you can easily catch up before a new one airs tomorrow night. Definitely check it out and thank me later.

I also love Power on Starz, but I may be the only one. It’s a 50 Cent joint.

The KSR tour hits Manchester today.

Matt and Ryan will be at Clay County Middle School for today’s show. Stop by to hear the broadcast and maybe you’ll leave with UK tickets from GuyOnTheCornerTickets.com.

Article written by Drew Franklin

17 Comments for National Junk Food Day’s Tuesday Morning Wakeup

1. Good TV
    8:44 am July 21, 2015 Permalink

True Detective is a great show! How dare you say that. The majority of tv shows that air on HBO are great (Game of Thrones, Band of brothers, Eastbound and down, The Wire) that is to name a few. You are out of your freakin mind.

• Drew Franklin
      11:14 am July 21, 2015 Permalink

I’m a huge fan of the four you named and many other HBO shows. The Wire and The Sopranos are my two favorites ever. But True Detective Season 2 has been garbage.

• Android Guy
      11:18 am July 21, 2015 Permalink

Game of Thrones was great the first year, but the second season was only so-so, and all subsequent seasons have been insulting to one’s intelligence. The writing has become absolutely horrible. The characters either contradict themselves or have no real personality beyond the superficial, and their actions make no sense half the time. Such a fall from the genius of season 1.

• J-Dub421
      11:21 am July 21, 2015 Permalink

Season 1 of Game of Thrones followed the book pretty closely, after that the TV show started going in a different direction from the books, and is not as good.

• Mojo
      11:23 am July 21, 2015 Permalink

My biggest problem with GoT is that they used to have each episode be a complete story by itself. Part of the larger story, yes, but each one had its own theme. But sometime around late season 2 or early season 3, they stopped trying to make each episode complete and just focused on the main story without any episodic subthemes for the most part. It’s impossible to watch one episode and feel that you got a complete story now, but in the early episodes, you could.

2. The Original WTF Guy
    9:07 am July 21, 2015 Permalink

Sorry, but season 2 of True Detective has been, as Drew suggested, a disaster. There are too many main characters to pull it off (e.g., the time spend on the Paul Woodrugh character could be much better spent trying to explain what the hell is going on with the other characters). Furthermore, while Season 1 was dark, it was filmed in the light whereas Season 2 is going for dark, but often stumbling into parody, while it is also filmed in the dark. It’s just a depressing mess.

Ballers is not disappointing unless you actually had expectations. It is Entourage – no better, no worse. The Brink is disappointing because I expected more. But I have to admit The Brink is growing on me now that I’ve realized it’s not the comedy I expected it to be. Unfortunately, it’s not dramatic enough to be good drama, but looking at it that way it’s much more watchable.

Mr. Robot started very good but the fourth episode was a disaster. Hoping it bounces back with the fifth and the ones to follow. It’s in some ways Fight Club without the fighting. I’ll let you figure that out as you watch.

3. David Scott
    9:32 am July 21, 2015 Permalink

Why celebrate National Junk Food Day with Taco Bell all day and night? Taco Bell is the Staff of Life. Modern-day manna.

4. UKBlue
    9:35 am July 21, 2015 Permalink

Everyone bashing True Detective; they’re setting up the story for the end. The shows doing even bigger ratings then this time last year for the original, so expect for it to get renewed. Ballers is what Ballers is; it got renewed for Season 2 after the 2nd episode.

Mr. Robert has to be 1 of if not the best new show of the year so far; it’s doing huge ratings especially being on USA.

5. Your mom says
    10:19 am July 21, 2015 Permalink

I’m going to assume that you haven’t watched all of the episodes of True Detective. Great show!

6. BigBlueSwami
    10:23 am July 21, 2015 Permalink

Agree with The Original WTF Guy, episode 4 of Mr. Robot will leave you wondering “Was it bring a kid to work and let them write the script day?”. It was a dud to put it politely. I worry the more they peel the onion on the story line if it becomes a steady downward spiral.

7. kyle heavy
    10:46 am July 21, 2015 Permalink

I disagree that Ballers is awful. It’s starting out a lot like Entourage. I feel like it will continue to grow on people.

True Detective is OK, and I will continue to watch, but it’s been slow to develop. It gets better every episode.

8. Android Guy
    11:20 am July 21, 2015 Permalink

I’m excited to see “Longmire” returning on Netflix! With “Justified” gone, that is my favorite show.

9. The Professor
    11:30 am July 21, 2015 Permalink

I tried watching “Mr Robot” but only made it through about 2/3s of the first episode. I found it very pretentious with style over substance trying to display seriousness through being overly somber. “Ballers” is not awful but is far from great.

10. Leuther
    12:08 pm July 21, 2015 Permalink

Mr Robot is simply awful, Drew…

• Leuther
      12:37 pm July 21, 2015 Permalink

It’s too “Liberal” for me….

11. UKJon
    12:13 pm July 21, 2015 Permalink

If I’ve said it once, I’ve said it a million times, Orphan Black on BBC America and Amazon Prime. Best series I’ve ever watched. I have gotten over 20 people from all age groups hooked on the show. There is a reason Tatiana Maslany was just nominated for an Emmy.

12. Black Ryan Lemond