My favorite prospect, Oscar Tshiebwe, is now a five-star

Brian Rothmuller/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images

Brian Rothmuller/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images

Several week ago I told you about a young man named Oscar Tshiebwe and that you should keep an eye on him as he enters his senior year of high school basketball. He’s a big man that hasn’t gotten the recognition of a James Wiseman or a Vernon Carey, but he’s awesome and you should pray to the recruiting gods that he one day becomes a Wildcat.

New Name To Know: Oscar Tshiebwe

Well today, Tshiebwe finally got the love he deserves when 247Sports moved him up No. 19 overall in the Class of 2019. It was a 53-spot climb all the way up from his old ranking of No. 72. He also earned a fifth star by his name.

The new ranking puts Tshiebwe closer to where he should be amongst his peers because he’s an animal in the paint who is impossible to handle. Just ask James Wiseman. Tshiebwe gave him 24 and 13 in a head-to-head matchup back in July.

I want this guy as much as anyone.

Article written by Drew Franklin

21 Comments for My favorite prospect, Oscar Tshiebwe, is now a five-star

1. dismore
    1:21 pm August 22, 2018 Permalink

Can he face up or only play his back to the basket?

• shelby
      7:33 pm August 22, 2018 Permalink

Both. And he is a hoss!

2. ClutchCargo
    1:45 pm August 22, 2018 Permalink

He reminds me a little of Konate at WVU. I’ll take that.

3. bigbluebanana
    2:00 pm August 22, 2018 Permalink

How is this beast only 17?

4. Nickytoonuthugger
    2:05 pm August 22, 2018 Permalink

he has no salt in his britches

5. UKLugo
    2:14 pm August 22, 2018 Permalink

Sounds like a WVa lean. Got some ground to make up.

6. SOXinTN
    2:30 pm August 22, 2018 Permalink

That’s a grown man

7. Ted
    2:33 pm August 22, 2018 Permalink

I totally agree with you Drew. I’m not as impressed with Wiseman as everyone else is, not that I don’t want him, but Tshiebwe is an absolute beast on the boards. Plus, he could possibly stay more than a year, unlike Wiseman. I also like Vernon Carey better than Wiseman. I tweeted about how good I thought Tyler Herro last year after seeing him play in Wisconsin as well as watching all his mixtapes. I thought he was too underrated in the rankings. I think Herro is a stud, and his play in the Bahamas showed us how good he can be. It’s going to hard to keep him off the floor. He doesn’t take a play off, is a great shooter from 3, and has an excellent pull up jumper, not to mention being an excellent FT shooter. Will be the best on this years team. Oh, and he can take it to the rack! Love Herro. Back to Tshiebwe, I’d love to get a commitment from him and Vernon Carey. Penny can have Wiseman.

8. Mathlete
    2:39 pm August 22, 2018 Permalink

Any word on how to pronounce his last name?

9. BRumZz_20
    2:54 pm August 22, 2018 Permalink

I’m weary of players who can’t shoot the ball in today’s game. That’s the exact reason Bam had a subpar season at Kentucky.

• Alex90
      3:44 pm August 22, 2018 Permalink

Bam actually had a good looking jumper along with Humphries that year but Cal (really most coaches now) doesn’t implement a lot of short jump shots into his offense. Skal struggled greatly when they tried to make him a post up player and looked a lot better near the end if the season when they gave him space. I think Richards is the same way

• dismore
      7:03 pm August 22, 2018 Permalink

Ummm have you watched Nick Richards play this year? Short jumpers all over the place in the Bahamas. Obviously Cal let’s them shoot short jumpers because Cal bragged on how well Richards played.

I agree. Always weary of one dimensional offensive players.

• Alex90
      1:18 pm August 23, 2018 Permalink

Yea but Richards is also in his 2nd year now and struggled all of last year. Bam and Skal never got to the 2nd year. I just think Cal has been slow to implement it into the offense for bigs. Still love Cal but it’s an observation.

10. Luether
    4:01 pm August 22, 2018 Permalink

Let’s sign him up, Drew…

11. ChetSteadmansSalisburySteak
    4:30 pm August 22, 2018 Permalink

Easy to dominate when you’re 15 years older than the competition.

12. rlburd2
    5:26 pm August 22, 2018 Permalink

Strong and athletic but very raw.

13. dismore
    7:02 pm August 22, 2018 Permalink

I agree. Always weary of one dimensional offensive players.

14. shelby
    7:33 pm August 22, 2018 Permalink

I watched this kid’s highlights and he is a freaking BEAST! I’d love to have him.

15. WildcatCam
    9:43 pm August 22, 2018 Permalink

Reminds me of a high school Demarcus is a slightly thicker Julius Randle body.