MTV made a reality show set in Pike County, Kentucky

Brace yourselves, Kentuckians. This summer, MTV will debut a new reality show set in Pike County, Kentucky.

The show, tentatively titled “Made in Kentucky,” follows a group of high school grads as they try to figure out the next step of their lives. This being the network that brought us “Jersey Shore” and “Floribama Shore,” it will feature a lot of shenanigans, which I’m sure MTV will pair with a Deliverance-style dueling banjo track.

Here’s the official description of the show from MTV:

“This diverse gang bucks all convention and makes their own fun through country shenanigans and wild behavior: from Hillbilly Jet Skiing and ‘Rock Bouncing’ to River-Slides, Lawnmower Jousting, and making ‘Hot Tub Pickups’ out of their trucks, there’s never a dull moment when these friends come together. In a group this tight, lives intertwine – so there’s no lack of dramatic love stories and complicated love triangles, but friendship always comes first. And while the recent national focus on Coal has revived hope in this once-thriving Coal Town, the group still questions what comes next: stay in the picturesque home they’ve loved forever…or chase opportunities outside of Coal Country?”

Ugh. While it’s nice that Pike County will be in the spotlight, I’m sure the show will be chock full of stereotypes and hillbilly jokes. It will debut in July and is expected to air Thursday nights.

Will you watch?

[WKYT]

[mobile_ad]

41 Comments for MTV made a reality show set in Pike County, Kentucky

1. gobble gobble
    12:06 pm April 30, 2018 Permalink

Great! A show about a bunch of dumb rednecks that’s gonna make the entire state of KY look like a bunch of dumb rednecks!

• cats646
      1:04 pm April 30, 2018 Permalink

I’m not sure we need a show to do that.

• gobble gobble
      1:11 pm April 30, 2018 Permalink

*sarcasm

• jobronie
      1:22 pm April 30, 2018 Permalink

I am from eastern KY, went to school in Lexington, and now live in northern KY. I hate to burst your bubble, but there are people that you are labeling “dumb redneck” everywhere. So if you are afraid a group of people from a specific part of the state is going to make you look “bad”, don’t worry you’re doing that yourself.

By the way, I would bet those people you are labeling and looking down your nose at are probably much better people than yourself.

• cats646
      1:28 pm April 30, 2018 Permalink

And I hate to burst your bubble but I’m from Wayne county and I’m one of those rednecks. Just not a dumb one. There are dumb rednecks in every part of this state not just eastern ky. Quit getting so offended by everything anyone says and stick your foot in your freakin mouth next time before you say something about someone you know nothing about. Prick.

• jobronie
      11:31 pm April 30, 2018 Permalink

I shouldn’t get offended, but you can when i wasn’t even addressing you? Ok there Dick.

• plumloopy
      1:41 pm April 30, 2018 Permalink

I think his point is that MTV will show them exactly what everyone expects (wants?) to see, the dumb redneck stereotype.

• My Dixie Wrecked
      1:46 pm April 30, 2018 Permalink

There are dumb hillbillies all over the State, but Eastern KY has a special kind of dumb hillbilly, and a high concentration of them, too!

• Sentient Third Eye
      2:01 pm April 30, 2018 Permalink

Most of the humor surrounding hillbillies originates from city-dwellers making fun of them because they were outside their rural element when they went to places like Chicago and Detroit to work in factories post-WW2. That created a lot of false stereotypes (and even painted the mockers unfairly as well, because few remember that when the shoe is on the other foot and city-slickers come to the mountains, they get made fun of just as mercilessly). But in truth, people are people, and no change in environment affects intelligence significantly. The average intelligence of both groups is the same, and either can produce geniuses or idiots.

That said, since the mountains were primarily settled by Scots-Irish, the people remain defiantly independent and distrustful of government (and in its dealings with them, government has never done anything except confirm their fears). In an age when city-dwellers find socialism fashionable again, mountain people largely remain the polar opposite: classical liberals who just want to be left the hell alone to live or die on their own ability.

In other words, they are the last authentic Americans.

• Realme
      3:57 pm April 30, 2018 Permalink

You should write a book, STE. Already reads better than J.D. Vance.

• runningunnin.454
      5:54 pm April 30, 2018 Permalink

All true, STE; the distinction being when city-slickers come to the mountains, they might not return.

2. plumloopy
    12:09 pm April 30, 2018 Permalink

Yes, I’m sure there’s never a dull moment.

Will the show also focus on rampant prescription painkiller abuse (to pass the time while thinking about their futures)?

3. TomEcaster
    12:18 pm April 30, 2018 Permalink

What’s an MTV??

4. nybrasky
    12:39 pm April 30, 2018 Permalink

Didn’t MTV do a very similar show in West Virginia a few years ago and one of the “stars” ended up dying in an ATV accident?

• suppie
      1:03 pm April 30, 2018 Permalink

sure did — buckwild.

rip shain.

• kenny
      5:02 pm April 30, 2018 Permalink

He died of carbon monoxide poisoning. He went to sleep in his pickup with two other people after getting stuck.

5. CatManDo
    12:56 pm April 30, 2018 Permalink

Italians protest shows depicting them as Mafia gangsters.
    Middle Easterners protest shows depicting them as terrorists.
    Maybe we can protest shows depicting Kentuckians as uneducated rednecks.

When others picture a typical Kentuckian this is what they see. It’s like Lexington, Louisville, Owensboro, etc. don’t even exist.
    You ask them to picture someone from Missouri or Florida and they think of St. Louis, Kansas City, Miami, beaches, etc. and those states are filled with hilljacks.

• east-ky-boy
      12:58 pm April 30, 2018 Permalink

I’m from pike county and no offense but SOOOO would rather live here than lex or Louisville. People here are friendly and can drive lol

• CatManDo
      1:32 pm April 30, 2018 Permalink

Born and raised in Eastern KY myself, just stuck around Lexington (lived in Richmond for the last 17 years) after I went to UK. I agree on the driving and yes, people from our area are the nicest I have met anywhere.

• plumloopy
      1:44 pm April 30, 2018 Permalink

Eeeeveryone likes to think that people are nicest in the small towns. Fine.

My question is that are they nicest to *everyone* or just some?

• cats646
      1:57 pm April 30, 2018 Permalink

Depends on if your nice to them.

6. east-ky-boy
    1:01 pm April 30, 2018 Permalink

I’m from Pikeville and yep I’m sure they will make us look dumb. I’m PROUD to live in east Ky. I’m a season football ticket holder and have been for years, I travel a lot for my job to central and northern Ky but I can Honestly say there is no place like the mountains where everyone waves at each other, have respect for one another and this is a beautiful part of our country. I will say though their is (like all places) a select few that is so stupid that it gives the rest of us a bad name.

• DelrayCat
      1:51 pm April 30, 2018 Permalink

My entire family lives in East KY and you are correct. Almost everyone is genuinely friendly and some truly wonderful people there. Unfortunately, my biggest fear for all those in these parts is the obesity and lack of a culture of health and exercise. The number of 250-300+ pound women is particularly staggering. Although this means there is some good cooking going on…lifespans are much shorter.

• east-ky-boy
      3:25 pm April 30, 2018 Permalink

Lol! Yes there is some good cooking going on. Most of us loves some soup beans and fried taters lol.

7. BluesBrother
    1:04 pm April 30, 2018 Permalink

MTV is still a channel?

8. lexslamman
    1:06 pm April 30, 2018 Permalink

New Jersey has had to endure the walking Italian American stereotypes on MTV’s “The Jersey Shore” for years. It’s Kentucky’s turn.

9. cats646
    1:06 pm April 30, 2018 Permalink

MTV has done this same exact show in like five different states. It’s always fake and it always sucks. Why won’t they just give up on it already??

10. RackEmWillie
    1:23 pm April 30, 2018 Permalink

They’ll keep making these types of shows as long as people still watch them.

I haven’t watched something on MTV in probably 20 years. Just not shows I’m into.

• ukbradstith
      2:48 pm April 30, 2018 Permalink

I don’t understand how people can enjoy these shows. But I enjoy pro wrestling, so I guess I’m in no position to judge. My defense has always been that at least pro wrestling nowadays doesn’t claim to be real.

11. ukcatntn
    1:29 pm April 30, 2018 Permalink

I thought it was called Music TV… what happened to the music. Haven’t watched MTV in over 25 years. There are ‘rednecks’ in every town in every state. But young people want their 10 minutes in the spotlight, so….

• ukbradstith
      2:45 pm April 30, 2018 Permalink

MTV hits, MTV jams, MTVU, MTV3 (I think its called something else now, mostly spanish songs)…MTV, the original, hasn’t regularly played videos in 20 years

12. My Dixie Wrecked
    1:48 pm April 30, 2018 Permalink

All stereotypes are rooted in truth!

• ukbradstith
      2:48 pm April 30, 2018 Permalink

100% true

• east-ky-boy
      3:27 pm April 30, 2018 Permalink

So everyone that lives in Louisville has a neck tattoo, line beard, wears curve cologne, drinks malt liquor and only owns wife beaters? That’s what is east Ky people think

• My Dixie Wrecked
      5:14 pm April 30, 2018 Permalink

Who ever said a stereotype applies to everyone?

• cats646
      5:36 pm April 30, 2018 Permalink

You just said there rooted in truth. That’s the Louisville stereotype. Take your gold chains off your neck and you might realize how red your is too.

13. east-ky-boy
    4:15 pm April 30, 2018 Permalink

Us***

14. ukcats1776.90
    5:41 pm April 30, 2018 Permalink

the purpose of the show is to fight “mountain pride” – the idea that rural people have that they should work hard and not take handouts. they will show people with Ky accents who don’t work and are happy so rural youth will see it’s ok to not work and take handouts thus vote democrat. the can-do.l, no excuses attitude of rural people is a thorn in the Democrats side

15. somerset bill
    5:41 pm April 30, 2018 Permalink

from episode one:
    virgil: “hey, merle gene”
    merle gene: “yeah, virg”
    virgil: “let’s go down to the mattress store and watch that radio show.”

16. mikeintn
    9:15 pm April 30, 2018 Permalink

Can’t wait to see it, born and lived 40 years in pike county, no place like home.

17. playmorezeppelin
    8:45 am May 1, 2018 Permalink

Middle fingers to the sky to anybody who thinks they’re better than someone because of where they’re from. I say let them have the show and proudly show how the least materialistic people in the world . Anyone who still watches MTV is living a more miserable life than anyone in Eastern Kentucky.