More on Matt Elam

elam

It’s been a busy morning for Matt Elam. Of course, as an elite recruit, when you push back a major decision like your college selection things tend to get a bit hectic. While Elam was understandably uncomfortable with making his decision today, many around the internet have rekindled the speculation on where he’ll land on National Signing Day.

His high school coach, Chad Lewis, spoke with Steve Jones of the Courier Journal this morning to further elaborate on what he was feeling and if he planned on opening up his recruitment to more schools in the future.

(He) is still so torn over the decision,” Lewis told Jones. “He just doesn’t want to be the guy who maybe commits to a school and ends up decommitting because he’s not 100 percent on what he wants to do.”

The remainder of his statements to Steve Jones can be found here.

Article written by Jonathan Schuette

28 Comments for More on Matt Elam

1. UKNation
    11:51 am January 4, 2014 Permalink

Then don’t paint yourself into a corner by picking an announcement date only to postpone at the last second. No one picked Jan 4th but him.

• GeneralJackD.Ripper
      1:57 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

UKNation, you’re a breath of fresh air & you’re 100% correct.

2. Lil c
    11:51 am January 4, 2014 Permalink

His heart might be here but his wallet says go to Bama. His situation is no different than a top ten basketball recruit trying to choose between Purdue and UK. Can’t blame the kid if he goes south.

• False
      12:06 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

Huge diff between bball and fball. In fball you can at least go to the NFL if you don’t go to a major school. At a non playmaker pos no reason his draft status would be hurt if he goes to UK over Bama.

• Agreed
      1:55 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

Same thing Alabama feels when the Cats pick guys like Stone, Cousins, and Bledsoe out of the state for the basketball program. He has a legit shot to play for a title at Bama. Not so sure that’s that case at UK, even with the great job Stoops is doing.

3. hey
    11:52 am January 4, 2014 Permalink

You used a weird photo. He doesn’t have his arms out or the funny look on his face where a fat guy tries to look tough.

• DIVA
      2:30 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

Haha!!!

4. lloyd
    11:58 am January 4, 2014 Permalink

That could have meant a commitment in either direction. So let’s hope when he comes back home he’ll decide to make his announcement for his state school. One other thing, I’m tired of hearing “why wouldn’t you go to bama?”, followed by two reasons: 1) they’ve been the best team in the country the past 3 years (at least the previous two) and will continue to dominate (maybe) and 2) they will develop him for the next level. Anyone seen florida st.’s D this year and the recent success they have had on the field and in the draft. Who was the architect of that? Probably a guy that could prepare and develop Elam for the next level just as well as Saban.

5. Well, again I don’t think this looks good for UK. He obviously wasn’t as strong a UK lean as we had hoped. You know the little Nicktater in Tuscaloosa will be all over him once the dead period is over. He’ll probably land a helicopter in Elam’s front yard.

1, I more or less agree with what you said, but like I alluded to on the other thread (rhyme time), I was far from figuring out my life at 17/18. Heck, I still haven’t figured it out and I’m 52! 🙂

• Hah! There would have been a rhyme in my comment but I mistakenly edited it out. Well, I never wanted to be a rapper anyway!

• RC
      12:42 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

I agree with you..not good for Kentucky. I had hoped all along that the delay was to give UK extra exposure with the commitment on tv. If that isn’t the case and he is not a lock already..isn’t good for us.

6. colonelcat
    12:12 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

Time to move along. If he ends up picking UK ok, but I’m honestly tired of hearing about this kid. Seems like a drama queen to me and i’m not sure thats the type of attitude we want on our team. It seems to be in direct contrast with the rest of this class’ team first mentality. Let him go to bama and get smacked in the face with the reality that he’s just another player.

7. Rumor
    12:20 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

Hearing he may want to go to Texas. Supposedly, he likes Strong and the coaches there better than any staff recruiting him. He just didn’t want to play in the ACC.

• Steve
      12:42 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

He will definitely want to lose some body fat if he goes to Texas! Two a days in Texas are HELL!!!
      Been through it and it’s miserable! When I played several kids lost lives! Surrounding schools not my school! Heat exhaustion can work on your body in a bad way! Kids from that area are able to handle it (usually).
      I played in the late 70’s

8. Blueaville
    12:23 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

Colonelcat, couldn’t agree with you more. He has said he would announce at the Army All-American game since this summer. Obviously the kid just wants attention. Hopefully won’t hear anymore about him until signing day.

• DIVA
      2:31 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

I agree. Just trying to have more fans stroke his ego until that date. As what was stated earlier, no one chose today but him.

9. Jomani
    12:25 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

If he were my son I’d tell him to play for Alabama. Most exposure, best coach, best fan base (for football), great facilities

10. TheDecker
    12:28 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

The kid had 7 months to make a decision. He’s still undecided and now wants to take his official visit to Alabama? If you’ve been undecided this entire time why not take the visit before you’re set to announce?

I’m starting to wonder if he wants Alabama but is postponing it to reduce the lash back from his hometown folks.

11. BullDurham
    12:38 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

Big Man who loves attention Strong and Texas are now the favorite!

• Carmine
      12:44 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

LOL Really so hes from Kentucky and now he will choose a school that will make all Kentucky fans and Louisville fans hate him!! U may be right but if he likes to be loved that would be the dumbest choice he could make!!

12. Carmine
    12:40 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

If there was going to be negative blowback from kentucky fans , postponing it will only add to Uk fans anger and annoyance if he chooses Bama on Feb 5th ..If thats his choice he should have decided it today!!

13. SmearoftheTardinal
    12:45 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

Man the trolls are grasping for anything right now…….its down to UK and Alabama……..he isn’t going to Texas because of Strong–he didn’t consider Louisville for Strong either. If he picks Bama…..ok can’t blame him……..if he picks UK–also can’t blame him because his talents will stand out more here simply in terms of depth and playing time. He also has proven coaches at either place. Love him to come to UK, but honestly if he is this torn up about it he needed to wait–and waiting would not seem to look good for UK. UK will continue to rebuild with or without him.

14. Gi11y
    12:57 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

I’m just tired of hearing about Matt Elam. He has admitted numerous times how he ‘loves the attention’. Once he commits to UK or BAMA he will be out of the spotlight and thus he postponed his announcement. I’m with #6 — if he commits, great. If not, okay as well. Enough is enough.

15. Eharmony
    12:57 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

As someone who had to choose between quite a few D2 programs for basketball back in the day, I have to say this:

You will never be 100% sure until you make the decision and settle in at the school.

16. Cupid Stunt
    1:25 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

I was actually going to watch the game to see Elam’s decision, but now I am watching for Barker. This kind of sours me on the kid, and I know that’s sad to say. Personally, I’m just sick of hearing and reading the guy’s name every single day. No one kid is bigger than a program, but that is the beast that we, the fans, and the sports media have created. Basically, if Elam was UK, he would have said so by now. Instead of us fans wasting our energy on Elam, who will go to Bama, we ought to rally around the kids who truly want to be here, like Drew Barker.

With that said, it is imperative that we quit losing in-state kids, especially elite ones, to out of state programs. Look at the programs who, although hard to believe, were doormats in the ’90s or early 2000s — Oregon, Baylor, South Carolina, LSU, Oklahoma State, Stanford …they all built their programs by retaining in-state talent, which now (except for Oregon, who’s in-state draw is their 2nd largest base) make up their largest signing base.

17. Andy
    2:12 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

Oh well let him take his own time. I think a lot of ppl are over it. He has been to UK and AL and seen both schools waited till the army bowl and still can’t figure it out?

18. QUESTION
    2:33 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

I MISSED THE LOUISVILLE GAME. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN WATCH IT??????

19. Sin Sored
    11:47 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

Piss on Matt Elam. Good luck in AL SlowFats!